: Pretty sure I'm going to get a Prius or a Volt to supplement my V

1997BlackETC
04-14-13, 09:00 PM
I can't keep on putting miles on my Vagon at the rate I've been, over 8000 miles in 3 months is just way too much, at this rate I'll have 30K miles on it or more by December all in a year. I'm just going to have to force myself to drive a economy car for a while in between driving the V again. Especially in a higher end sports car like the V, the miles will just kill the value of the car not to mention using up my warrantee real fast.

USAFRET
04-14-13, 09:19 PM
Our second car is a 2012 Volt, one drive and you'll be sold. It's so shit econo box
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v82/AFVETTE/2012%20Volt/91177c1e.jpg

And on good days you can go 50 miles on a charge
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v82/AFVETTE/2012%20Volt/file_zps42385143.jpg

We've driven ours over 10k miles and 90% has been electric, at 9 cents per kWh or 90 cents to drive 40 to 50 miles.

Good luck you won't be disappointed.

Haze
04-14-13, 09:24 PM
I've driven the Volt, which my cousin has leased. It really is a nice car for what it does, but it is really expensive. You get a CTS 6 Cyl. for what it costs.

I have motorcycle that I ride in the Summers to keep the miles off the CTS V. The ownership costs are negligible, and I bought the bike ten years old so not too expensive.

USAFRET
04-14-13, 09:31 PM
I've driven the Volt, which my cousin has leased. It really is a nice car for what it does, but it is really expensive. You get a CTS 6 Cyl. for what it costs.

I have motorcycle that I ride in the Summers to keep the miles off the CTS V. The ownership costs are negligible, and I bought the bike ten years old so not too expensive.

with current dealer discounts of $5000 plus the federal tax credit of $7500 and any state incentive one can buy a new Volt for about $26K. But I'd recommend leasing considering the Voltec 2.0 is due out in 2015/2016. And many of the leases are well under $300 a month now.

Random84
04-14-13, 09:38 PM
hybrids are great, until the batteries crap out. Then you might as well set it on fire.

IMHO, the lightweight 4cyl economy market has plenty of great options - which look even better if you are okay with a 1-2 year old used model.

But, then you have to ask: "how much is it worth to me to drive a crap car 5 days a week so I can protect the resale value of a car I actually enjoy driving?" If you think you'll keep $20K in resale value, then maybe it's worth it? :D

IMHO, I'd drive the V, get an extended warranty if so inclined, and take the money you would put towards some economy car in the bank for either maintaining the V or to put towards the NEXT performance vehicle you buy. Life's short, don't drive a lame car!

neuronbob
04-14-13, 09:51 PM
Now that's better thinking than you were before, 1997. Keep the V. I love the idea of the Volt and I test drove one at the Cleveland Auto Show a few weeks ago. That is an awesome little car!

The more economical thing, though, if you are really going to go through with buying a fuel efficient car, is to just spend $5k on a shizbox economy car. No monthly payment, minimal insurance, save money. Of course, the most economical thing would be just to drive the V. No extra car payment, no extra insurance. Of course, you'll have to come up with the specific math for your situation.

In my case, if I were concerned about gas mileage, I have my Honda S2000 to drive, at least in three seasons. 25 mpg easily without trying, and if I stay out of VTEC and granny shift, I can occasionally see 30 mpg.

JimmyH
04-14-13, 09:56 PM
Buick Verano. Near luxury and 30 mpg for $25k.

JimmyH
04-14-13, 10:01 PM
BTW the difference between 30 and 45 mpg at 30k mi per year is $1300. Its going to take 10 years for a hybrid to pay for itself at those numbers. Assuming the batteries last.

Cadzilla8
04-14-13, 10:38 PM
You could get a Prius-V to stay in the "V" family :P

Chris Cornett
04-14-13, 10:55 PM
I drive a Chevy Cruze Eco everyday. I get 40 mpg on the highway and nearly 37 mpg combined. Just turned 35k miles and with the 6 speed gearbox its actually fun to drive.

Trapspeed
04-14-13, 11:11 PM
Drove a Volt. I was pretty impressed by it but the cabin is a bit too narrow for my taste. Between that or a Prius? Volt all the way. It damn sure looks better!

hulksdaddy
04-15-13, 12:41 AM
You could get a Prius-V to stay in the "V" family :P

Go for the Prius VSport.....

:leaving:

1997BlackETC
04-15-13, 12:41 AM
Thanks for the advice, good thread. I liked what Random84 said, I've been thinking a lot about, how much I like driving the V. I do also have a 2012 Chevy Colorado Pickup truck that I was thinking about trading towards the economy car, since getting the V I very rarely drive the truck. It really is not all that comfortable, the sound system sucks and it is very spartan in the interior dept. There is one thing I need to be able to do and that's haul around my hand bike which the rear wheels can be removed, so I need some kind of wagon, it may or may not fit into a Volt or Prius, actually pretty unlikely in either. The truck gets no better gas mileage than the V because it's got the 5.3 motor with no DOD or direct injection, thats one reason why between the two I'll drive the V any day, comfortable, good sound system, nav, etc. I guess I'll stop at the chevy dealer sometime this week and check out the Volt and try to fit the handbike in the back with the seat folded down. I've gotta check out the Verano too, good suggestion. The other thought is a Ford Flex, they are fairly long in the back end but kinda of not the greatest looking vehicles out there. Heres a picture of the handcycle, like I said the rear wheels removed, but what worries me is the crank even with the wheels removed sticks up fairly high, although maybe I could fit it in sideways.

1997BlackETC
04-15-13, 01:09 AM
Heres a thought too, the Buick Encore, I was thinking the Verano was a suv, this Encore might just be tall enough to accomadate my bike and looks like it's got a little bit of of luxury too and gets 33 mpg with the 1.4L turbo motor. I'm hopeful of getting at least 20 grand for my truck, it is very rare with the 5.3 motor and has very low miles on it thanks to the CTS-V. http://www.buick.com/encore-luxury-crossover/build-your-own.html?x-zipcode=34286#eyJzZXJpZXMiOiI0SlY3Nl8xU0wiLCJ2ZWhp Y2xlRGF0YVNvdXJjZSI6ImNocm9tZSIsImNvbmZpZ3VyYXRpb2 5Hcm91cElkIjpudWxsLCJzcyI6Ikg0c0lBQUFBQUFBQUFIVlNU VS9DUUJCOWRNQ0RGd09TSnQ1SStndUlVZURnWVZ0cE1VTEpVcG UyQjIvcXdZUHhKL2pQZFFhMlc2enJKTE03NzgzWGRxWUFRdURs RTRQM01ZTFhEd1NtZ0hDL2NPL3UrVzN3aFI1RVJxQjB1UUN0el I2MFdjMUIwMklOMnUxdlFabktRV3JIWHFWcWtFa05jelY3TTcz aEl5bmxLSVRiU2tnbGFWd2dTVzg0V0t0dkZoemxDaFJGRVJ2SH BvY2VEaWhWOG5WbWlSQU5XNTJFOENNY2lMWGhLMkR0czQ1aFBj NElPd1luVko0RzhkTzFaVVV2bXFUTFA4YW9NWWJvbEpBdmRjK1 NNVG9nbzJ0YlRteThUTXZIbGo2V1oreGhheis3YlZ2TEpoMlFq VHFReDR1VFpDdVVKek1mdTV4NldObXZLeWYvUXd1MGFrRjltRX NuR1RpSFFvd0U5MGlSWVlVSFBFS2pHL1dQL0FERi9NVVIzQUlB QUE9PSIsInRhYiI6IlNVTU1BUlkifQ==@ http://www.buick.com/encore-luxury-crossover/build-your-own.html?x-zipcode=34286#eyJzZXJpZXMiOiI0SlY3Nl8xU0wiLCJ2ZWhp Y2xlRGF0YVNvdXJjZSI6ImNocm9tZSIsImNvbmZpZ3VyYXRpb2 5Hcm91cElkIjpudWxsLCJzcyI6Ikg0c0lBQUFBQUFBQUFIVlNU VS9DUUJCOWRNQ0RGd09TSnQ1SStndUlVZURnWVZ0cE1VTEpVcG UyQjIvcXdZUHhKL2pQZFFhMlc2enJKTE03NzgzWGRxWUFRdURs RTRQM01ZTFhEd1NtZ0hDL2NPL3UrVzN3aFI1RVJxQjB1UUN0el I2MFdjMUIwMklOMnUxdlFabktRV3JIWHFWcWtFa05jelY3TTcz aEl5bmxLSVRiU2tnbGFWd2dTVzg0V0t0dkZoemxDaFJGRVJ2SH BvY2VEaWhWOG5WbWlSQU5XNTJFOENNY2lMWGhLMkR0czQ1aFBj NElPd1luVko0RzhkTzFaVVV2bXFUTFA4YW9NWWJvbEpBdmRjK1 NNVG9nbzJ0YlRteThUTXZIbGo2V1oreGhheis3YlZ2TEpoMlFq VHFReDR1VFpDdVVKek1mdTV4NldObXZLeWYvUXd1MGFrRjltRX NuR1RpSFFvd0U5MGlSWVlVSFBFS2pHL1dQL0FERi9NVVIzQUlB QUE9PSIsInRhYiI6IlNVTU1BUlkifQ==@

pat2t2f
04-15-13, 07:50 AM

If your hand bike fits in the back of the V then sell the truck privately. Take the extra cash and put it towards fuel. As you are well aware there are a lot of costs with an extra car. Insurance, upkeep, etc....

RobF300
04-15-13, 10:02 AM
Research real world fuel economy, obviously we know the sticker on the window in the dealer is BS.

6cyl cts - my wife has one, now granted its AWD. But around town it gets 15-17mpg, and on the highway i managed something like 23-24 not exactly light footed but not beating on it. To purchase one with the intent of saving money on fuel would be very foolish.

I would go cruze, spark, etc
Something cheap that runs on fuel it sounds like you put too many miles to use the volt unless you have a charging station set up at your daily destination?

neuronbob
04-15-13, 11:39 AM
I would go cruze, spark, etc
Something cheap that runs on fuel it sounds like you put too many miles to use the volt unless you have a charging station set up at your daily destination?

But the Volt's engine charges the battery after depletion. In theory, you can drive a Volt all the way across the country with mpg in the 30's. That's the whole point of the Volt, elimination of range anxiety. I tested the Volt under gas power and the drive was just fine. It's just a bit expensive and thus my suggestion above to just buy a cheap beater for $5k. Your suggestion to buy a small efficient car is also good.

1997BlackETC
04-15-13, 02:02 PM
I'm starting to think this idea is foolish, Crude oil is dropping like a stone, that and gas. Gold is gonna be worthless and so arent our cars, I might as well just drive it for 300,000 miles, lol.

Xaqtly
04-15-13, 02:54 PM
I'd add that if you're going to get another car purely for fuel economy reasons then don't half-ass it. Get something that does a minimum of 40 MPG to make it worth it. I'm still a big fan of turbo diesels, and all of VW's TDi line gets 40+ except the Toureg I think. The Volt might be a good choice but if you have a longer commute the electric side of it starts to make less sense.

RaVeNous
04-15-13, 03:16 PM
If I could afford a volt, I would drive one. I really don't have the money for a second car on top of the V unless its a cheapy, and have no place to park it. The volt is a good choice. Kind of a financial bust for GM and taxpayers, but they are actually really nice cars and in my opinion considerably better than what other companies offer for "green" cars.

Another option could be a high MPG Diesel VW.

VMoose
04-15-13, 03:19 PM
Wife drives an Audi A3 TDI. It's great on fuel and looks good. Not as cheap as a VW, but has better options. It can easily get 40MPG highway, but averages 33-36 MPG around town. The torque is a lot of fun to zip around. Combined average MPG in my garage, between the two cars, is probably 25-27 and I'm happy with that. If we head to Nashville, we'll usually take the Audi. Around town, I'll take the V.

neuronbob
04-15-13, 03:29 PM
I'm starting to think this idea is foolish, Crude oil is dropping like a stone, that and gas. Gold is gonna be worthless and so arent our cars, I might as well just drive it for 300,000 miles, lol.

Brother, I WISH that drop in crude oil would make it to my local gas pump! :) I've already spent a bit over $1100 in fuel on the V this year! I can afford it with no sweat, but a drop in fuel cost would be most welcome.

You can click on the picture to get details of my fueling for the V wagon. I've got every fillup since I bought the wagon listed.

http://badges.fuelly.com/images/sig-us/173362.png (http://www.fuelly.com/driver/neuronbob/cts-2)

JimmyH
04-15-13, 05:27 PM
The oil companies always manage to find a reason to keep gas prices up when crude goes down. Keep an eye out for the next refinery that has to shutdown due to "unforeseen problems."

----------

Heres a thought too, the Buick Encore, I was thinking the Verano was a suv, this Encore might just be tall enough to accomadate my bike and looks like it's got a little bit of of luxury too and gets 33 mpg with the 1.4L turbo motor. I'm hopeful of getting at least 20 grand for my truck, it is very rare with the 5.3 motor and has very low miles on it thanks to the CTS-V. http://www.buick.com/encore-luxury-crossover/build-your-own.html?x-zipcode=34286#eyJzZXJpZXMiOiI0SlY3Nl8xU0wiLCJ2ZWhp Y2xlRGF0YVNvdXJjZSI6ImNocm9tZSIsImNvbmZpZ3VyYXRpb2 5Hcm91cElkIjpudWxsLCJzcyI6Ikg0c0lBQUFBQUFBQUFIVlNU VS9DUUJCOWRNQ0RGd09TSnQ1SStndUlVZURnWVZ0cE1VTEpVcG UyQjIvcXdZUHhKL2pQZFFhMlc2enJKTE03NzgzWGRxWUFRdURs RTRQM01ZTFhEd1NtZ0hDL2NPL3UrVzN3aFI1RVJxQjB1UUN0el I2MFdjMUIwMklOMnUxdlFabktRV3JIWHFWcWtFa05jelY3TTcz aEl5bmxLSVRiU2tnbGFWd2dTVzg0V0t0dkZoemxDaFJGRVJ2SH BvY2VEaWhWOG5WbWlSQU5XNTJFOENNY2lMWGhLMkR0czQ1aFBj NElPd1luVko0RzhkTzFaVVV2bXFUTFA4YW9NWWJvbEpBdmRjK1 NNVG9nbzJ0YlRteThUTXZIbGo2V1oreGhheis3YlZ2TEpoMlFq VHFReDR1VFpDdVVKek1mdTV4NldObXZLeWYvUXd1MGFrRjltRX NuR1RpSFFvd0U5MGlSWVlVSFBFS2pHL1dQL0FERi9NVVIzQUlB QUE9PSIsInRhYiI6IlNVTU1BUlkifQ==@ http://www.buick.com/encore-luxury-crossover/build-your-own.html?x-zipcode=34286#eyJzZXJpZXMiOiI0SlY3Nl8xU0wiLCJ2ZWhp Y2xlRGF0YVNvdXJjZSI6ImNocm9tZSIsImNvbmZpZ3VyYXRpb2 5Hcm91cElkIjpudWxsLCJzcyI6Ikg0c0lBQUFBQUFBQUFIVlNU VS9DUUJCOWRNQ0RGd09TSnQ1SStndUlVZURnWVZ0cE1VTEpVcG UyQjIvcXdZUHhKL2pQZFFhMlc2enJKTE03NzgzWGRxWUFRdURs RTRQM01ZTFhEd1NtZ0hDL2NPL3UrVzN3aFI1RVJxQjB1UUN0el I2MFdjMUIwMklOMnUxdlFabktRV3JIWHFWcWtFa05jelY3TTcz aEl5bmxLSVRiU2tnbGFWd2dTVzg0V0t0dkZoemxDaFJGRVJ2SH BvY2VEaWhWOG5WbWlSQU5XNTJFOENNY2lMWGhLMkR0czQ1aFBj NElPd1luVko0RzhkTzFaVVV2bXFUTFA4YW9NWWJvbEpBdmRjK1 NNVG9nbzJ0YlRteThUTXZIbGo2V1oreGhheis3YlZ2TEpoMlFq VHFReDR1VFpDdVVKek1mdTV4NldObXZLeWYvUXd1MGFrRjltRX NuR1RpSFFvd0U5MGlSWVlVSFBFS2pHL1dQL0FERi9NVVIzQUlB QUE9PSIsInRhYiI6IlNVTU1BUlkifQ==@

The encore is nice. But keep in mind with the Verano Turbo, there is already a canned trifecta tune for $300. The guys that have it claim it gives a nice shot of power and a slight bump in economy.

RippyPartsDept
04-15-13, 06:08 PM
in less than a year the ELR will be an alternative

Gman1023
04-15-13, 08:05 PM
Have you considered a Jetta TDI wagon? If you aren't bothered by the fact that it's a VW it could be a good option. There should be decent room for your handbike and they see real world 40+ mpg. Plus, they are priced such that it would not require much outlay on top of your truck.

1997BlackETC
04-15-13, 11:29 PM
Yep, I've thought about a Jetta TDI. Just the more I've thought about this though I can't picture myself in a economy Vehicle. Going all the way back to the 70's I've driven mostly luxury vehicles like Cadillacs, Monte Carlos, etc. One car I've never owned though is a Mercedes and I want one before I die. I had quite a few on my used car lot and liked the way they drove and use to like to take them over the other cars to pick up parts and errands. So, my thought is I'm thinking about a used Mercedes Wagon, just the E350 with the V6. I know it wont save a ton of gas over my V, maybe 28 mpg highway if I'm lucky, but it will be a luxury ride and a car I'll look as forward to driving as I do the V. The problem is right now I just don't want to drive my truck over the V and it's just sitting there collecting dust, it's a shame because it's only a year old. I looked up all the used Colorado trucks on autotrader and the newer low mileage ones are selling for well over 20 grand, since they don't make these trucks anymore they are holding their value well and with the 5.3 v8 engine it's no slouch for a small truck. I found a 2009 E350 Wagon with 35K miles on it for 27 K, I'm going to see if I can work a trade for my truck with the dealer if I can get the time to get down where it's at. My handcycle will fit fine in the benz because they are tall and huge in the cargo area. By doing this I can cut the miles in half I'm driving the V and still be driving in luxury with the Benz, the color combo on the one I'm looking at is real nice.

V2 BRAWN
04-16-13, 12:18 AM
I love my Volt. It's pretty quick and fairly roomy. The best part is the ride which is more like a big car. My wife and I drive 140 miles a day taking my youngest to private school. That's the job of the Volt which has over 50,000 miles on it now with no problems. Three more years and we will be done with ours.

1997BlackETC
04-16-13, 12:39 AM
I should check out a volt and also take a closer look at a TDI Jetta before I do anything. The idea of driving a benz is appealing but the thought of things going wrong with it is not, so I better think this thing through very clearly before I make any moves.

CavemanB52
04-16-13, 01:13 AM
Careful with German cars I have had a VW Toureg and diesel Jetta. Both had crap air conditioners. I took them in and complained and all I got back is that it reduced the air by 20 degrees Fahrenheit. Well when its 110 outside in Louisiana, 90 in the cabin sucks. Aparently the Germans have a fundamentally different definition of air conditioning. None of my American cars have ever had this problem even on hot ass days.

pat2t2f
04-16-13, 07:34 AM
I don't know about Florida but diesel fuel in NY is about 40 cents a gallon more than reticular unleaded and 20 cents a gallon more than super. That severely cuts into the savings. Just something to consider.

RobF300
04-16-13, 08:15 AM
I don't know about Florida but diesel fuel in NY is about 40 cents a gallon more than reticular unleaded and 20 cents a gallon more than super. That severely cuts into the savings. Just something to consider.

And not at every station either, which could be a problem for the OP

larry arizona
04-16-13, 11:51 AM
Got a 2013 volt and a 662 rwhp 2010 v and both are a riot to drive. Love the volt as dd. V is for nice days only.

Chrispy
04-16-13, 02:28 PM
I purposely decided to drive my V Wagon year round and enjoy it (including winters). I could afford a third car but figure I'd rather drive a car I love year round than a compromise vehicle. From a financial standpoint driving the V year round is a no brainer when you factor the cost of a new car and the gas consumption delta.

1997BlackETC
04-16-13, 03:26 PM
There are a lot of factors that enter into my decision on what i'm going to do. I leave Florida in a few weeks and was kinda hoping to make a move on getting rid of my 2012 pickup truck before I leave for something I'd drive more and that offered a lot better fuel economy. I really don't think my handcycle will fit in the back of the Volt and the point about diesel fuel is a good one, plus the thought of ending up with someone putting gas into it or whatever. Plus I hate the smell of diesel when fueling and if you get any on yourself it is yucky stuff. I think the Encore might be too tight for my handcycle also although it would be a nice vehicle as it looks comfortable is good on gas and probably has a good sound system and all. This whole idea may have to wait until next fall when I'm back in Florida, in thinking about it I don't think the truck is going to depreciate much as the mileage will be kept low as it's not being driven, GM does not make these Colorados anymore and maybe a new vehicle will come out next fall for 2014 that meets my needs better. I feel I do need to do something though, because the thought of over 30K miles per year on the V is not a good one.

This Buick Encore though is pretty impressive though for a small SUV. I'm going to look at one and will report back, I'll try every way I can come up with to try and fit my handcycle in the back. It does have a power liftgate like my Vagon which is a plus, the warrantee is the same as the V too, again a plus and the testers claim they can get a consistant 35 mpg on the highway, good sound system and electronics too. http://www.carprousa.com/2013-buick-encore-suv-car-pro-review

pmsteinm
04-16-13, 04:57 PM
One good thing (for me anyway) is that if I drive a "crap" car 2-4 days a week on the days I drive the V I like it that much more. It actually feels fast again, and I appreciate the ride quality, comfort, etc.

My "crap" car is a 2001 Oldsmobile Aurora 4.0, so at least it has the correct number of cylinders.

RobF300
04-16-13, 07:20 PM
that lexus 200h actually dont look all that bad for what it is- I bet your cycle would fit in that thing

fastpharmd
04-16-13, 07:28 PM
One good thing (for me anyway) is that if I drive a "crap" car 2-4 days a week on the days I drive the V I like it that much more. It actually feels fast again, and I appreciate the ride quality, comfort, etc.

My "crap" car is a 2001 Oldsmobile Aurora 4.0, so at least it has the correct number of cylinders.

I'm with you on the increased appreciation for the V on the days it leaves the garage.

I drive a 2001 Chrysler Concorde on a daily basis. I love it, great big comfy leather seats, a soft ride, aftermarket stereo (that's worth more than the car), insurance gave me 2x as much as what i valued it at for hail damage, if I drive it sensibly I can get 26-30mpg on the highway, it has an enormous trunk, crackheads don't bother with it, and most importantly, it starts and goes everytime I ask it to.

So OP, in my opinion, you need a cheap (or free) piece of crap that's comfortable and goes. When that cheap piece of crap fails, leave it there and get another.

JimmyH
04-16-13, 08:15 PM
Also, switching between two cars gets to be a pain in the ass. You tend to constantly leave things in one car, and forget them when you need them. You know, things you can have only one of, like your license.

For over a year I was swapping between a CTS 3.6 and a CTS-V, and even that got old.

Gman1023
04-16-13, 09:09 PM
Careful with German cars I have had a VW Toureg and diesel Jetta. Both had crap air conditioners. I took them in and complained and all I got back is that it reduced the air by 20 degrees Fahrenheit. Well when its 110 outside in Louisiana, 90 in the cabin sucks. Aparently the Germans have a fundamentally different definition of air conditioning. None of my American cars have ever had this problem even on hot ass days.

I have always heard the opposite actually. I have never lived in the South myself, but folks I know who do complain about American air conditioners designed for Detroit weather. German cars in my experience have pretty heavy duty A/C systems. I'm sure it all varies though.

----------

Yep, I've thought about a Jetta TDI. Just the more I've thought about this though I can't picture myself in a economy Vehicle. Going all the way back to the 70's I've driven mostly luxury vehicles like Cadillacs, Monte Carlos, etc. One car I've never owned though is a Mercedes and I want one before I die. I had quite a few on my used car lot and liked the way they drove and use to like to take them over the other cars to pick up parts and errands. So, my thought is I'm thinking about a used Mercedes Wagon, just the E350 with the V6. I know it wont save a ton of gas over my V, maybe 28 mpg highway if I'm lucky, but it will be a luxury ride and a car I'll look as forward to driving as I do the V. The problem is right now I just don't want to drive my truck over the V and it's just sitting there collecting dust, it's a shame because it's only a year old. I looked up all the used Colorado trucks on autotrader and the newer low mileage ones are selling for well over 20 grand, since they don't make these trucks anymore they are holding their value well and with the 5.3 v8 engine it's no slouch for a small truck. I found a 2009 E350 Wagon with 35K miles on it for 27 K, I'm going to see if I can work a trade for my truck with the dealer if I can get the time to get down where it's at. My handcycle will fit fine in the benz because they are tall and huge in the cargo area. By doing this I can cut the miles in half I'm driving the V and still be driving in luxury with the Benz, the color combo on the one I'm looking at is real nice.

I appreciate your concerns. I think it is fair to point out that late model VWs are not known for their reliability either, so don't think it's just an MB problem. Perhaps an older Mercedes diesel wagon will fit the bill? Or even a 90's S350 D. You combine Mercedes class and comfort, with old Mercedes build quality and diesel efficiency and reliability. You can't break one of those things. Maybe you don't want a car that old, but it could be worth a thought if you can find a good one.

1997BlackETC
04-17-13, 12:50 AM
Heres the Benz I've been thinking about, the only problem is it has a salvage title, looks like the body work was done well though. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mercedes-Benz-E-Class-WAGON-4MATIC-09-MERCEDES-E350-WAGON-7-SEATS-AIR-SUSPENSION-PREMIUM1-4-MATIC-/300886504443?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item460e3bb3fb The handcycle would fit fine in the back of this, it is tall enough, cars like the 200h, encore, suburu, VW, I don't think the handcycle would fit as the crank sticks up high and would hit the roof top loading it in. I love the interior of this benz, very pretty.

hwangtkd
04-17-13, 01:04 AM
Forget the Prius and Volt. That extra cash you will spend vs getting a conventional car equates to ALOT of gas. Plus you have to deal with battery and ELectro Magnetic Field issues. Get a Honda Fit, toyota yaris, or a ford fiesta if you need cargo room in the back. After 120k, you will still be able to sell those vehicles without loosing too much money.

I know you want to drive a semi nice vehicle, but you will not save any extra money on gas, especially if you have to factor in repairs.

CavemanB52
04-17-13, 03:15 AM
This is a stupid. The only way this works is if you don't care about cost. Which the OP does. Just drive the car unless you are actually worried a about devalued V.

thebigjimsho
04-17-13, 10:42 AM
Must be nice to waste money on economy cars...

V2 BRAWN
04-17-13, 11:34 AM
Just drive the car unless you are actually worried a about devalued V.
This is the essence of my personal situation. We are driving the Volt ~30,000 miles per year for commuter purposes. The fuel savings are only about $2K per year. The depreciation on the V is likely tens of thousands of dollars to drive it 6,000 miles per year vs 30,000. I'll drive my Volt 5 years and throw it away and not feel bad about it.

1997BlackETC
04-17-13, 12:38 PM
So you all think putting over 30,000 miles per year on the V and spending an extra 20 grand on gas over 5 years is a good thing?

RippyPartsDept
04-17-13, 01:04 PM
no ... they think that driving a V is better than driving anything else ... at any cost

thebigjimsho
04-17-13, 01:43 PM
So you all think putting over 30,000 miles per year on the V and spending an extra 20 grand on gas over 5 years is a good thing?

Well, you don't love the V. So what do you care? What will the depreciation of TWO CARS be over 5 years?

You could sell a 5 year old V w/ 150,000 miles and still get somewhere in the high teens, maybe low 20s. With 50,000 miles? Low 30s.

And if you abuse a DD while garaging the V, what does that depreciate?

Unless you get a true beater, you're losing money no matter what you do...

RobF300
04-17-13, 03:22 PM
its not always about dollars and what makes sense

maybe the guy just wants his V to stay nice for when he can use it for pleasure driving and doesnt mind spending money on another car to achieve this. He saves some money on gas, keeps his V nice- it makes him happy.

Chrispy
04-17-13, 03:24 PM
So you all think putting over 30,000 miles per year on the V and spending an extra 20 grand on gas over 5 years is a good thing?\

Definitely...It costs less, you drive a high performance luxury car year round and you aren't in a crapass economy car with all its associated costs.

Any way to you look at it....Financially, fun to drive factor, comfort the V wins every scenario.

Don't worry about the mileage, it's only a car and if you're serious about investment car collecting you would've bought two and put one in storage under a wrap and wait 25 years to sell it. :)

YoungBlood_STSV
04-17-13, 05:05 PM
Definitely...It costs less, you drive a high performance luxury car year round and you aren't in a crapass economy car with all its associated costs.
Any way to you look at it....Financially, fun to drive factor, comfort the V wins every scenario.
Don't worry about the mileage, it's only a car and if you're serious about investment car collecting you would've bought two and put one in storage under a wrap and wait 25 years to sell it. :)

Its a math question with a lot of variables. If your one and only goal is $ then just do the math. If its not, then do the math and make a decision after weighing the non-monetary costs.

30,000 miles a year with gas @ $4.25 a gallon getting 15mpg: $8500 in fuel per year
Insurance ....idk your history but mine is $1300/yr.
Registration- $80
Maintenence: ...At 30k/yr you're going through 3 oil changes and a set of tires every 12 months: $1500/yr
Depreciation: The biggest unknown..how much is your car losing value vs one that is only driven 10k miles a year...A quick KBB search shows that the additional mileage is worth 8% after 1 year, 15% after 2 years 28% after three years and a staggering 41% at year 4 (ie: Same CTS-V, one has 10k miles one has 30k after 1 year; 20k vs 60k etc, etc). So assuming you hold the car for 4 years....your depreciation will be an additional $16000...give or take a little.

So, roughly, your 4 year cost of ownership is $61,600 plus your monthly payment.
If you stop driving so damn much and drive the car 10k/yr it would cost you...roughly... $18,850, with the savings coming from less fuel costs and lower depreciation and lower maintenance

Driving your V less over the next four years would net you $42,748. That's over $10k a year to spend on a second car.
You need to drive those additional 20k miles no matter what. So lets say your new car is an awesome little 4cyl that gets 35mpg. 20k miles @ 3.85 gallon getting 35mpg. Your second car's fuel cost is $2200/yr. All in, running a 4cyl w/ no issues arising would cost you like $3800 a year. That leaves about $7k for financing the car, or almost $600 a month. So yeah...if I were you I'd look into a second car.

SRTVIPER03
04-17-13, 05:29 PM
I am also thinking about another vehicle so as not to put excess miles on my V Wagon. I live in SoCal so I'm looking at either the Volt or the Fusion Energi. I'm really leasing only a HOV sticker and get a car with it. Driving in the carpool lane and the reduction of stress from the faster commute is hard to quantify.

Chrispy
04-17-13, 05:43 PM
Its a math question with a lot of variables. If your one and only goal is $ then just do the math. If its not, then do the math and make a decision after weighing the non-monetary costs.

30,000 miles a year with gas @ $4.25 a gallon getting 15mpg: $8500 in fuel per year
Registration- $80
Maintenence: ...At 30k/yr you're going through 3 oil changes and a set of tires every 12 months: $1500/yr
Depreciation: The biggest unknown..how much is your car losing value vs one that is only driven 10k miles a year...A quick KBB search shows that the additional mileage is worth 8% after 1 year, 15% after 2 years 28% after three years and a staggering 41% at year 4 (ie: Same CTS-V, one has 10k miles one has 30k after 1 year; 20k vs 60k etc, etc). So assuming you hold the car for 4 years....your depreciation will be an additional $16000...give or take a little.

So, roughly, your 4 year cost of ownership is $61,600 plus your monthly payment.
If you stop driving so damn much and drive the car 10k/yr it would cost you...roughly... $18,850, with the savings coming from less fuel costs and lower depreciation and lower maintenance

Driving your V less over the next four years would net you $42,748. That's over $10k a year to spend on a second car.
You need to drive those additional 20k miles no matter what. So lets say your new car is an awesome little 4cyl that gets 35mpg. 20k miles @ 3.85 gallon getting 35mpg. Your second car's fuel cost is $2200/yr. All in, running a 4cyl w/ no issues arising would cost you like $3800 a year. That leaves about $7k for financing the car, or almost $600 a month. So yeah...if I were you I'd look into a second car.

- 30K miles a year an accurate amount? That's an obscene amount of driving

- Don't forget maintenance on the four banger over the 4 years, it aint free. (tires, brakes, gas, oil changes, other regular maintenance). Insurance and registration also apply

- I don't know about you guys but all my maintenance is included when I bought the car. (Maybe it's different in the states versus Canada but I don't pay a cent for regular scheduled maintenance)

RobF300
04-17-13, 05:47 PM
tires for a econobox likely to go at least 50k-60k miles possibly more, and cost WAYYYYY less than tires for a V

highway mileage on a car like that likely to go through a single set of brake pads in 100k

thebigjimsho
04-17-13, 05:57 PM

Registration- $80

You just did absolute worst case for the V and absolute best case for the econobox. Real numbers wouldn't even be close...

dqw1
04-17-13, 06:15 PM
I bought a 2003 Acura MDX for 9k as my beater car. It carries large items and i drive during inclement weather and pollen season. No reason to spend a bunch of money on a second car unless you just got it like that. But, you never liked your V so what does it matter. Good luck whatever you do.

YoungBlood_STSV
04-17-13, 06:19 PM
You just did absolute worst case for the V and absolute best case for the econobox. Real numbers wouldn't even be close...

- 30K miles a year an accurate amount? That's an obscene amount of driving

- Don't forget maintenance on the four banger over the 4 years, it aint free. (tires, brakes, gas, oil changes, other regular maintenance). Insurance and registration also apply

- I don't know about you guys but all my maintenance is included when I bought the car. (Maybe it's different in the states versus Canada but I don't pay a cent for regular scheduled maintenance)

1. 30,000 miles is how much the OP said he drives. Go read the thread.
2. I included maintenance, gas, insurance and registration in my estimates. (I didn't think about brakes though...so you can add a couple sets of those to the V's cost and 1 to the econo-box). The maintenance I accrued for is not "covered items".
3. I did real world scenario for both cars. One gets 15mpg, one gets 35mpg (would you like me to list all available 35mpg cars??) I included insurance of $1200 a year on the second car, a $60 oil change per year (synthetic only for my econo-boxes) and 25% of a set of $600 tires. I included $80 to register the new car too. If you think I'm being facetious with these numbers then please give an alternative. I pulled all the depreciation numbers from KBB.com and I loudly said that they are rough estimates. But they're real world.

V's are a good deal more expensive to drive and maintain than your typical 2007 Honda Accord...To just about all of us that doesn't matter in day-to-day life. Start putting 600 miles a week on your car and your opinion will change. The OP started this thread as a feeler for other people's opinions on getting a car to supplement his V for the crazy amount of driving he has to do. He can take the info and tweak it to come up with a more accurate estimate for himself. All I wanted to show was that it's still going to be incredibly expensive to drive the V 30k miles a year.

Gman1023
04-17-13, 08:58 PM
Heres the Benz I've been thinking about, the only problem is it has a salvage title, looks like the body work was done well though. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mercedes-Benz-E-Class-WAGON-4MATIC-09-MERCEDES-E350-WAGON-7-SEATS-AIR-SUSPENSION-PREMIUM1-4-MATIC-/300886504443?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item460e3bb3fb The handcycle would fit fine in the back of this, it is tall enough, cars like the 200h, encore, suburu, VW, I don't think the handcycle would fit as the crank sticks up high and would hit the roof top loading it in. I love the interior of this benz, very pretty.

Nice car, I truly love the color combo. You won't save much gas with it though, especially with the AWD. Plus you live in Florida, what do you need AWD for? Maybe none of that is a priority as much as saving the miles on your V. I can't blame you looking at a second car, wish I still had my old Lesabre because it would make a terrific second/winter car up here in PA.

YoungBlood_STSV
04-17-13, 10:08 PM
Everything I said goes out the window if you spend $28k on an E350 4matic that gets 21mpg and costs the same to maintain as the Cadillac.

I was under the impression you would buy a slightly used Civic or Volkswagon TDI.... Or a Prius like your title suggests.

Chrispy
04-18-13, 11:01 AM
2. I included maintenance, gas, insurance and registration in my estimates. (I didn't think about brakes though...so you can add a couple sets of those to the V's cost and 1 to the econo-box). The maintenance I accrued for is not "covered items".
3. I did real world scenario for both cars. One gets 15mpg, one gets 35mpg (would you like me to list all available 35mpg cars??) I included insurance of $1200 a year on the second car, a $60 oil change per year (synthetic only for my econo-boxes) and 25% of a set of $600 tires. I included $80 to register the new car too. If you think I'm being facetious with these numbers then please give an alternative. I pulled all the depreciation numbers from KBB.com and I loudly said that they are rough estimates. But they're real world.

V's are a good deal more expensive to drive and maintain than your typical 2007 Honda Accord...To just about all of us that doesn't matter in day-to-day life. Start putting 600 miles a week on your car and your opinion will change. The OP started this thread as a feeler for other people's opinions on getting a car to supplement his V for the crazy amount of driving he has to do. He can take the info and tweak it to come up with a more accurate estimate for himself. All I wanted to show was that it's still going to be incredibly expensive to drive the V 30k miles a year.

Yes but econoboxes still suck...

Seriously though the way you wrote the post it wasn't clear to me you included the other costs with the econobox comparison. :)

Regardless the ENJOYMENT of driving the V year round is easily worth the extra cost...that's why I sold my race/summar cars several years ago and bought performance cars that I could drive/enjoy year round.

YoungBlood_STSV
04-18-13, 01:43 PM
Yes but econoboxes still suck...

Seriously though the way you wrote the post it wasn't clear to me you included the other costs with the econobox comparison. :)

Regardless the ENJOYMENT of driving the V year round is easily worth the extra cost...that's why I sold my race/summar cars several years ago and bought performance cars that I could drive/enjoy year round.

Yeah I realized that the post was getting really long and I stopped spelling everything out, but I was honest. There's probably $10,000 a year of extra costs associated with driving the V that many miles per year.

Econo-boxes aren't as bad as they were 8 years ago. The quality of the builds are quickly improving. Who would have guessed that a Hyundai Accent would actually be a car worth owning? The Enjoyment of driving the V is the deciding factor. The way the OP is approaching the issue, he doesn't seem to find the Enjoyment worth the added costs. But that's because his costs are astronomical. I felt it by moving and increasing my daily commute by only a few miles. But that turned from filling up every 8 days to filling up every 5. It makes a noticeable difference. Not going to make me buy a second car or sell this one though, my increase is only marginal. There is no way I'd use my V to drive 8000 miles every 3 months, I'd be broke before I knew it.

Is there that much added enjoyment of endlessly driving the V 70mph on a highway vs driving a Jetta? Also, to the OP....did you buy your V knowing it would be your only car and knowing you would have to drive the distances you are?

JimmyH
04-18-13, 02:51 PM
I'd rather drive an econobox with a manual transmission than a luxury/performance car with an automatic.

1997BlackETC
04-18-13, 10:54 PM
Thanks for doing the cost comparison, you beat me to it. It is big money driving the V as much as I've been driving it and want to give it a rest for a while and drive something else. What stopped me from doing it though is I do enjoy driving the V and my truck gets about the same gas mileage so If I have to choose between the two sitting there in the garage I take the V. The truck basically has been collecting dust for the last 3 months, it is a year old now and only has 9K miles on it. When I got the V I really didnt figure I'd be doing this much driving. I play in a Tennis league down in Ft. Myers and that is a couple days a week and about a 1.5 hours drive each way, so that adds up the mileage. I drove the car from R.I to Fla when I got it, that was 1500 miles, now another 1500 miles back to R.I with the car, 3 day drive. I am going to look at the Encore tomorrow at the Buick dealer, looks like a nice vehicle and 35 mpg on the highway according to reviews I've read. It may not have enough room in the back though, still not sure. I may end up selling the truck privately because these trucks are commanding good money right now since 2012 was the last year for the Colorado and with the V8 it is very rare, with low mileage the truck should pay for most of the Encore if this idea works out.
Yeah I realized that the post was getting really long and I stopped spelling everything out, but I was honest. There's probably $10,000 a year of extra costs associated with driving the V that many miles per year.

Econo-boxes aren't as bad as they were 8 years ago. The quality of the builds are quickly improving. Who would have guessed that a Hyundai Accent would actually be a car worth owning? The Enjoyment of driving the V is the deciding factor. The way the OP is approaching the issue, he doesn't seem to find the Enjoyment worth the added costs. But that's because his costs are astronomical. I felt it by moving and increasing my daily commute by only a few miles. But that turned from filling up every 8 days to filling up every 5. It makes a noticeable difference. Not going to make me buy a second car or sell this one though, my increase is only marginal. There is no way I'd use my V to drive 8000 miles every 3 months, I'd be broke before I knew it.

Is there that much added enjoyment of endlessly driving the V 70mph on a highway vs driving a Jetta? Also, to the OP....did you buy your V knowing it would be your only car and knowing you would have to drive the distances you are?

1997BlackETC
04-19-13, 04:13 PM
To heck with it, I think I'm just gonna wait it out and get a new 2014 MB Wagon, the V wagon and that will make a good pair. I am comfortable as anything in the MB, it's not a hot rod like the V (from what I read the wagon is only going to be available with the current V6 motor and no diesel or V8) but a lot of luxury. I like the Styling of the new ones which are about to come out end of May from what I understand. For me the decision has come down to maintaining my V wagon and keeping it in shape over the long term and driving a car as my general driver that has all the bells and whistles, nice sound system, distronic cruise control. Again this is not a financial decision but a lifestyle decision. Hopefully I'll drive both those cars 5 or 10 years, as the warrantee starts running out on the V I'll start making speed mods because I would like it to be a little faster and capable of at least a 11 second car in the Quarter.

neuronbob
04-19-13, 06:51 PM
Sounds like we have a decision. Good luck!

I'm still considering a cheap beater, but not this year. V will be paid off this year and the beater, should i do one, will be a cheap cash purchase, so I can avoid a new car payment.

1997BlackETC
04-20-13, 01:29 AM
Sounds like we have a decision. Good luck!

I'm still considering a cheap beater, but not this year. V will be paid off this year and the beater, should i do one, will be a cheap cash purchase, so I can avoid a new car payment.

Your a Doctor and you have a car payment? I thought you guys made like at least a million bucks a year or so? lol.

They had a used 2004 MB wagon when I was at the MB dealer today, it was just 12 grand, but has 116K miles on it. Not sure if I want to roll the dice on something like that. The new 2014 wagons are very appealing to me and the new 2014 amg e63s is going to be 577HP and over 620 ft. lbs of torque and awd. 0 to 60 is 3.6. I can't seem to get anymore info on the 2014's yet though, I thought they were suppose to be out mid april from what I read, guess not. I can imagine the AMG is going to start around 100K and go up to 125K with options. I think I'd be happy with just the 6 banger as a general highway cruiser, going to start around 59K, I'd want distronic and the high end stereo so I can imagine the price would be up around 75K.

neuronbob
04-22-13, 06:44 AM
Your a Doctor and you have a car payment? I thought you guys made like at least a million bucks a year or so? lol.

LOL, I wish I made a million a year. Those days in medicine have been over for years, and the only millionaire neurologists I know are people who came to the field filthy rich or a couple of guys who got lucky in stocks. :)

BTW, I would be hesitant to do a 116k mile Merc, too.

thebigjimsho
04-22-13, 10:29 AM

I'm familiar with miles and maintenance. As someone who does 70k miles a year in a Town Car and 15k on the V, I know all about that.

As for brakes, the Vs will last as long as any economy car. Unless an economy car can go 150k miles on a set of brakes, its not 2-1.

Factor in combined city/highway driving for the V but only highway for the others? And your fuel listing is a bit off. $4.25? Are you in CA? I just paid $3.55 for premium 93 the other day.

1997BlackETC
04-22-13, 07:40 PM
The good news is it seems gas is on it's way down as demand has decreased because of all the economy cars out there. I nearly worked a deal today on a VW TDI wagon, but those cars are just so expensive for what they are, up near 30 grand with the Sunroof. I'm back to the idea of a used Merc wagon, I found a 2004 that looks great in the pictures for around 10 grand, I may take a look at it tomorrow. I do get a little nervous of something like that becoming a money pit.

JimmyH
04-23-13, 12:52 AM
Even with falling crude, they will find excuses to keep gas prices up.

undertaker
04-23-13, 01:15 AM
I picked up a demo VW jetta tdi year old 33k sticker for 25k with 12k miles on it 2 years ago, its now at around 42k miles......compared to my 12 mpg suburban the fuel savings covered the payment (not insurance or maitenence of @150 a month). But as my friend said you'll always have a truck, you're not replacing your 55-60k truck. The V was bought as a weekend toy, more along the lines of my vette (think I have 10k in a year and a half). Driven nicely it does get 42-45 mpg......doing 80-90 still gets about 35 highway (I have a heavy foot the V is usually under 13 mpg). Another VW model to look into is the hybrid jetta, even better on fuel than the TDI, my buddy's father bought one (needed a clean pass vehicle to use the HOV, tesla is a 2 yr wait, prius's are gay, didn't like the volt) supposedly its getting 45-50 mpg and actually handles pretty damn well, he actually traded in his boxster for it and has no complaints, but has only had it 2-3 months.

30k miles a year is alot of miles at 13 mpg in a V especially with 2k in tires etc.

JimmyH
04-23-13, 05:28 PM
My sister has a Golf TDi. She cruises around 50 mph on her commute and gets almost 50 mpg. When she gets on the highway going 60-65, it quickly drops to around 40. Often less.

JFJr
04-23-13, 10:03 PM
Economics prevent enjoyment for real car guys. Are numbers more important or enjoying the time you have left? Cars are transportation and not good investments. Numbers are for those that aren't able to enjoy high performance cars. When you're on the wrong side of the grass, the game is over. For those focused on numbers instead of enjoying themselves, who's going to be happier at the end? We're in the golden age of high performance, don't waste it.

Jud

JimmyH
04-23-13, 10:52 PM
I'm a car guy. I just don't have the time or the will to drive crazy fast anymore. I can't remember the last time my camaro saw WOT. Its just not usable on the street.

The Maestro himself once said its more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow. I want to get a car that I can get to at least 8/10 on the street.

neuronbob
04-23-13, 11:00 PM
^^^^^
I drove my S2000 for the first extended period since last fall today. What I most appreciate about it other than its scalpel-sharp handling is that I can rev the snot out of it and still be driving at or slightly above the speed limit. The V gets into felony speeding territory by halfway through third gear. I feel you on your second point, Jimmy.

Even so, the V is a luxurious, fast conveyance that with a stick shift is fun to drive in its own way even though I can only drive it at about 4/10s on a public road.

Different tools for different needs......

1997BlackETC
04-24-13, 12:40 AM
Wow, you guys must be reading my mind. I signed papers today at a VW dealer to trade in my Colorado truck towards a Jetta TDI Wagon. They are not cheap by any means up around 30 grand, but nice vehicle. I really like to travel and do road trips and this car is gonna take me a lot of places for less than half what it would cost doing the same trips in either my truck or my CTS-V. The idea of a used older Mercedes is crazy, I just don't have the time to mess around with the problems that would arise from something like that, Evap codes, fuel pumps, electrical gremlins, etc. The Jetta TDI should be dead nuts reliable, get more than double the fuel mileage as either of the vehicles I currently have and keep the mileage down on the V. I was surprised at the amount of space in the back with the seat folded down, can fit my hand bike trike with the rear wheels removed just fine and all my tennis gear fits in the back too. Seems to drive nice, plenty of low end grunt. The salesman at the dealer was trying to talk me into a performance tune on it for $700.00 but may void the warrantee so I declined, turns out the tech guy came out to talk to me and they still have not figured out a way to unlock the PCM's yet on the 2013's so could not have done a tune anyhow, I guess the tune is good for around 30HP and 60 Ft. Lbs of torque. Heres a picture of the car.

pat2t2f
04-24-13, 06:59 AM
Good luck with the new car. Glad you made a decision you are happy with

CavemanB52
04-24-13, 11:38 AM
I somewhat agree with trying to keep the mileage down on your v. And those cars do get good mileage. But I think you still over thought this situation and will be paying even more in cost for a second car and insurance than just paying for the V and driving the hell out of it. Resale on the V is much better even with the extra miles. And I'm sorry but IMHO that is one ugly VW. I couldn't drive it and call it my own. Good luck with the air conditioning. And good luck with your financial plan.

Xaqtly
04-24-13, 01:59 PM
I signed papers today at a VW dealer to trade in my Colorado truck towards a Jetta TDI Wagon.

I agree with this choice. Your main complaint with the V has been its MPG based on how much you drive, which is a lot. This VW gets 40+ mpg on the highway which is where you log the majority of your miles, and I believe the range (600+ miles per tank) will make you happy. Even though diesel is as much as premium or maybe a little more, you're going to be filling up 1/3 as often as you do in the V. And you don't have to live with a crappy econobox in the process, I mean the Jetta isn't on the same level as a V but it's not terrible either. And you also get the ~260 lb-ft of torque with the diesel, which makes it a lot more drivable than small-engined gas or gas hybrids.

That's how I would go if I were getting a second car for MPG.

Gman1023
04-24-13, 08:18 PM
Nice looking car! Congrats on now having 2 wagons to choose from. I agree that it is a smart choice. It may not be quite as stylish as the Mercedes, but much more economical.

1997BlackETC
04-24-13, 08:37 PM
I agree it's not the greatest looking car around, but it will make me appreciate the V that much more :) It sure is practical, the more miles you put on those TDI's the better fuel mileage they get. They call it the 500000 mile engine too, it is very rugged. The other issue for me that I have to think about is that every time I stop for gas (everything is self service in Fla) I have to get my wheelchair out of the car and then get back in, it gets old after while driving a gas hog all the time. At least with the 600 - 700 mile range of the TDI I'd be getting in and out less than half as much, that was another consideration at least for me. Plus the V is going to stay nice and new, not all crapped up from driving it all the time. I'm trading my truck with the 5.3 in for the TDI since I have the truck anyhow and don't really need a truck, that helped pay most of the TDI. Those TDI wagons are not cheap at around 30 grand. It has a huge sunroof though like the V, I kinda felt like I was driving a miniture V wagon, well less 416 hp, lol.

Heres a better picture of the car I got off the net. It's also got the Titanium white interior which should be cooler here in fla.

The color looks a little bit like the cadillac opulent blue, now all I gotta do is paint the Calipers red and a red pinstripe.

1997BlackETC
04-26-13, 05:01 PM
I just had to reply to this. The Wagons are totally different than the Sedans, the wagons are a throwback from the original golf/jetta and were not redesigned with cheaper interiors, a/c and other components as were the sedans. And yes, I will save 3 to 4K a year even after insurance driving this car because of the huge fuel savings and the high amount of driving I do and I will keep the V in showroom shape for the future.

I somewhat agree with trying to keep the mileage down on your v. And those cars do get good mileage. But I think you still over thought this situation and will be paying even more in cost for a second car and insurance than just paying for the V and driving the hell out of it. Resale on the V is much better even with the extra miles. And I'm sorry but IMHO that is one ugly VW. I couldn't drive it and call it my own. Good luck with the air conditioning. And good luck with your financial plan.

thebigjimsho
04-26-13, 05:49 PM
I just had to reply to this. The Wagons are totally different than the Sedans, the wagons are a throwback from the original golf/jetta and were not redesigned with cheaper interiors, a/c and other components as were the sedans. And yes, I will save 3 to 4K a year even after insurance driving this car because of the huge fuel savings and the high amount of driving I do and I will keep the V in showroom shape for the future.

Absolutely not.

----------

I just sold my V today for a nice sum. With 46k miles. My V was well used but well preserved. There is NO WAY that an identical V in identical condition with 10k miles would get more than $5G more than I did.

Your depreciation calculation for your V and your krautwagen is highly underestimated. Your fuel savings will never offset the grand picture.

Now, if you just want to feel good about not putting miles on the V and hate getting in and out so much because of your condition, just say so. Stop hiding behind this daydream of cost savings...

1997BlackETC
04-27-13, 02:25 PM
At least in my case I will save money because I have the truck anyhow and if I drive it I'll get about half the gas mileage of the VW so that's around 500 bucks a month or so. Trading the truck for the VW being that the VW will haul my handcycle, it's a no brainer. All the reviews I read on the Jetta wagon are great, the sunroof is huge, almost convertible like riding down the road, car is comfortable and handles well, a lot more nimble than the truck. I like the VW so much better than the volt or Prius, at least for me much more practical. The Caddy will go into storage for the summer until I'm back in Florida next fall. Dont want to drive it back up north, too many miles, need to balance out the miles on the car for the year as I don't want to have anymore than 10K miles per year on this car. The VW, I don't care, in fact the more the better, they get better fuel mileage as the mileage goes on them, hopefully make it up to 1/2 million miles on that car.

CavemanB52
04-27-13, 04:04 PM
You know the fact that you already had the truck really wasn't factoring in on my opinion. I guess I was thinking of my own situation to calculate costs. Since you already had the truck and I assume paying insurance. This might be a good solution for your situation. That is if you truly value the V as much as you financially imply. Good luck with the VW.

thebigjimsho
04-27-13, 07:23 PM
At least in my case I will save money because I have the truck anyhow and if I drive it I'll get about half the gas mileage of the VW so that's around 500 bucks a month or so. Trading the truck for the VW being that the VW will haul my handcycle, it's a no brainer. All the reviews I read on the Jetta wagon are great, the sunroof is huge, almost convertible like riding down the road, car is comfortable and handles well, a lot more nimble than the truck. I like the VW so much better than the volt or Prius, at least for me much more practical. The Caddy will go into storage for the summer until I'm back in Florida next fall. Dont want to drive it back up north, too many miles, need to balance out the miles on the car for the year as I don't want to have anymore than 10K miles per year on this car. The VW, I don't care, in fact the more the better, they get better fuel mileage as the mileage goes on them, hopefully make it up to 1/2 million miles on that car.

I briefly thought about a Passat TDi to replace my V last fall. The VW diesels are excellent and my brother is looking at a Jetta Sportwagen TDi, as well...

VMoose
04-28-13, 09:55 AM
Our other car is an Audi A3 TDI. Awesome to scoot around town with the torque and MPG. Only needs to be fueled up once a month or so.

1997BlackETC
04-28-13, 02:50 PM
Ya, too bad they stopped making the Audi A3 TDI, that was a great car and better looking than the Jetta Wagon in my opinion. In some ways though I want a car that is not all that great looking, I just hate the looks of mean jealousy I get when driving my V wagon, the VW will put an end to that, I'll be a regular guy, lol. You guys think a red pinstripe and red painted calipers would look good on the Blue TDI I'm getting? I get the car on Tuesday this week and will let ya all know my impressions.

1997BlackETC
04-30-13, 01:01 AM
The TDI looks so much better with wheels like these, I think this will be one of my first mods, that and paint the calipers red at the same time. These wheels are VW Wheels and are available from a aftermarket supplier for around 800 bucks, hopefully sell the stockers for at least 500 bucks and not be out too much.

blaine321
05-01-13, 10:47 PM
Forget the Prius and Volt. That extra cash you will spend vs getting a conventional car equates to ALOT of gas. Plus you have to deal with battery and ELectro Magnetic Field issues. Get a Honda Fit, toyota yaris, or a ford fiesta if you need cargo room in the back. After 120k, you will still be able to sell those vehicles without loosing too much money.

I know you want to drive a semi nice vehicle, but you will not save any extra money on gas, especially if you have to factor in repairs.

This is false. The battery myth that battery replacement in the Prius and other hybrids costing over 10k is false. A replacement battery.. IF THEY GO BAD after the 100K Warranty... will cost about 3k. The batteries aren't as rare or expensive as they were 10 years ago. Heck you can buy a second battery pack in a kit modify the car to go 100+ miles at 100% electric for 7k.

Cost difference between a Prius 2 and a Yaris is about 5k... or about 50 dollars a month in payment!!!! The Prius gets about DOUBLE the MPG in actual mileage. I've owned the Hybrid Prius, Hybrid Sonata, Hybrid Civic, Hybrid Camry, and several small eco boxes for daily drivers. The ONLY car that got above 40MPG was the Prius. I average 56 MPG driving like I stole it in the Prius. Stay away from the other hybrids!!!! I got maybe... on a good day driving down hill with a 20 MPH tail wind **30 MPG** in the other hybrids... the Sonata Hybrid was by FAR the worst.

Do the math... if you drive over 100 miles per day. They Prius will pay for itself. (Over driving my 14 MPG car daily.) But a cheap USED ecobox would be the best bang for buck for a daily driver.

1997BlackETC
05-01-13, 11:41 PM
I'm really liking the TDI wagen, got it yesterday. Coming back home from the dealer on the highway it was reading 52 mpg on the readout where my CTS-V is reading 19 mpg. The sound system is also much better than the V and has bluetooth music which is nice not having to worry about a cord plus it's got HD radio. Not as quiet on the highway as the V, more wind noise and less sound deadening, but I expected that. Loads of room in the back, more than the V wagon and it is a higher roofline so that helps out getting in the stuff I gotta get in there. I think I'm gonna enjoy this car. If the price point were not so high on these TDI's (30K) sticker with sunroof, they'd sell like hotcakes, I think the high price is why you don't see too many on the road.