: Leaking front shocks=front tire failure

sotxmike
04-14-13, 05:07 PM
Had my 09 V at Firestone this morning for rear tire rebalance and we were looking at the front tires and noticed inside cupping wear on both. This is what happened to the original front tires...worn out on the inside tread and thought it was misalignment. 36K on those tires. Current tires have 21K. Asked the tech what causes cupping and he said alignment, balance, or bad shocks (leaking). Knowing the balance and alignment were good we looked at the shocks and sure as hell both leaking. Probably not covered under factory warranty (over 50K) but was pre-existing. I am mechanically competent but can I change these? Cost? These magnetic shocks got to be expensive. Appreciate the input.

Random84
04-14-13, 05:11 PM
You'll have to shop around (GMpartsdirect.com, Partstaxi.com, etc) but if I recall they run around $400 a piece. You can change them yourself much like any other shock - there's just a plug on top that normal shocks don't have.

RaVeNous
04-14-13, 05:31 PM
I would hope they would be covered by bumper to bumper with a milage limit for excessive wear. As long as you have stock wheel and tire sizes, and no other mods like springs that would arguably change the handling, man I would hope they'd do something.....I have to say though $400 is cheaper than I figured, but still a lot if there is no milage guarantee.

1997BlackETC
04-14-13, 05:44 PM
Nope, it definatley will not be covered, his car is a 2009, way out of warrantee, at least as far as the shocks are concerned. Maybe you can grab a pair cheaper outta a salvage yard on a wrecked V, worth checking around.

JKG
04-14-13, 09:09 PM
I would be hesitant to believe that a seeping shock absorber will be the cause of inner tire wear. Tire pressure can do it, or poor tire alignment, and I have found in some of these higher performance cars, that they just wear the tires. What do I know, but I am certain that a lot of what comes out of most mechanics' mouths is just bull.

clemsgn
04-15-13, 12:15 AM
I would be hesitant to believe that a seeping shock absorber will be the cause of inner tire wear. Tire pressure can do it, or poor tire alignment, and I have found in some of these higher performance cars, that they just wear the tires. What do I know, but I am certain that a lot of what comes out of most mechanics' mouths is just bull.
I agree for the most part. Most high performance vehicles with larger tires have more camber and will cup the inside edge especially if there's a bit too much toe in. The extra camber helps handling on the track or highway offramps, but it wears the inside of wider tires quicker. If the alignment was set up with less negative camber, the wear would be minimized, but high speed cornering ability would be reduced. If shocks were completely worn out, the tires would wear rapidly, but you would feel the bouncy uncontrollable motions as you drive down the road.
These are magnetic shocks which don't have conventional oil like a standard shock and would have to be blown out pretty bad to allow the fluid with metal particles to escape fully. I've seen rubber that's soaked in oil get softer over time, but the relatively small amount of oil leaking over a period of time would unlikely be the cause. The fact that your 1st set of tires wore the same way indicates the camber has a lot to do with it. Unfortunately, inside tire wear on a heavy high performance sedan comes with the territory. Good luck.