: My newest toy ....GPS

Stoneage_Caddy
01-09-05, 09:04 PM
Was out today and after months of thought i finnaly bit the bullet and bought my self a hand held GPS unit ...I get lost alot when i travel anymore and i wanted something to log the hot spots in the lakes i fish on so i can return to them to catch fish the next day ....Once you find a good fishin area you want to come back there every time ....just the way it is ...

so i went to best buy and found the best of boath worlds at a fair price . 140 bucks ...Its a Magellan eXplorist 200 ...got it 4 hours ago and im still playing with it .....took 2 minutes for it to set itself up and figure out where the satellites are and bring up the maps ...it does so many things that i havent even scratched the surface of what all it can do ....got a feeling im gonna wonder how i ever did anything without it ....anyone else play with these things ? man there great

http://www.gpsmarketplace.com/images/explorist200.bmp

Night Wolf
01-09-05, 09:45 PM
I was VERY close to getting one a target a couple weeks back... but I didn't want to spend the money (at the time) on it...

but with this insurance check I am getting... I really want one...

$150 you say?

hmmm.... having 3 cars with 85mph-only Speedos make sthat really handy :)

Since I don't do much hiking/hunting/fishing etc... I would mostly use it for directions and roads and stuff.... how is that particular model with the map? it seems nifty too!

keep me updated... Wednesday night I may have the same thing in my hands :)

c5 rv
01-09-05, 09:48 PM
Very nice unit. Check out the forum www.gpspassion.com for some good info. I picked up a Garmin Quest a few months ago to use in the car and handheld. http://www.garmin.com/products/quest/ The voice directions are useful at times.

Stoneage_Caddy
01-09-05, 09:49 PM
as for maps it isnt the best , its shows major highways but smaller roads such as the ones that lead to my house dont show up....it is logging these areas tho and leaves a little trail of the roads i use that dont appear to be on the map ...

but i did manage to plot a route from here to indinapolis

for the price you cant beat it , i dont think the 100 model does as much (available at target for around 120 bucks )....spring the extra and get the 200 ....has to be the best value out there based on my limited searching ...

Vesicant
01-09-05, 10:05 PM
Ive been wanting to get this:

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Microsoft--Streets---Trips-2005-with-GPS-Locator/sem/rpsm/oid/105804/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

or this: http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Earthmate-GPS-Receiver/sem/rpsm/oid/72320/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

Figure i hook it up to my laptop in the car and go .. :coolgleam

Stoneage_Caddy
01-09-05, 10:08 PM
what aneat idea ....i read that whole thing thinking i might buy it too if it would work on my libretto ..but its a 95 with too slow a processor not eenough ram and not even a gig totoal hardrive ....

other than that its perfect ...tiny size and all (4inches by 9 inches by 1.5 inches)

the dell desktop is too big to lug around in the caddy

Vesicant
01-09-05, 10:10 PM
Looks like you picked a good choice though, Magellan's stuff is great.

Stoneage_Caddy
01-09-05, 10:11 PM
yup ....hey that other one ....the "Earthmate GPS Receiver" might work on it ...my buddy said he can install 98 on the libretto .....hmmm ...maybe 6 months from now ill do that one ....

Night Wolf
01-09-05, 11:06 PM
So what would be a good GPS, under $200... that would be best for driving and travling and stuff...

they all have speed and direction, so that would be good...

I live in country land too... not many major highways.... once i move to FL in Aug. it'll be different though...

Elvis
01-09-05, 11:11 PM
I got one for my b'day a few years ago, it's fun to play around with.

Mine doesn't have the map overlays, but I bought some software that lets you download coordinates and plot a course that way. It's fun, but I never go anywhere so I just don't use it much.