: 69-79 convertible tops.... who has recently bought one

disturbio
04-14-13, 06:33 AM
I found a ton searching the net... But which to buy. I'm going vinyl route. Anyone have 2 dents to share?

Thanks!

disturbio
04-14-13, 06:21 PM
That should say 69-70

disturbio
04-15-13, 08:03 PM
Surely someone has got a new or newer top
Thanks in advance

cadillacbart
04-16-13, 04:07 PM
I replaced the top on my 68 myself about 2yrs ago. I went with vinyl as it just looks correct. I did not replace the glass rear window and went with vinyl. I have regretted this every day since.

smelvis
04-16-13, 05:45 PM
I just bought one from convertible top guys. They sell em online but are located in ri so that saved me shipping costs. I haven't installed it yet but looks good and if you order the kit it comes with pads,cables, glue, staples etc.

disturbio
04-17-13, 03:03 AM
Smelvis I saw the kit and that's what I was leaning towards.... Cadillacbart, do you regret the plastic window,rather than glass,or the vinyl over canvas?

cadillacbart
04-18-13, 03:26 PM
Smelvis I saw the kit and that's what I was leaning towards.... Cadillacbart, do you regret the plastic window,rather than glass,or the vinyl over canvas?

I regret not getting the glass back curtain. My car already had a vinyl window installed,which I replaced with new, but I should have spent the extra money to get the glass window as was original. My new window already has rub marks across the bottom from when its folded.

talismandave
04-18-13, 03:37 PM
Novus plastic polish will fix that.

disturbio
04-27-13, 03:12 AM
I was going to order vinyl kit no window and just use my original glass but the top people said that i cant sew it in, doescthat sound right to you guys?????

Dirtywaterdiver
04-27-13, 09:59 AM
I too went with Convertible Top Guys. Mine was originally with the solid plexi window. I went with Vinyl, same here, Big mistake. It is always cheaper to spend more money.

cadillacbart
04-28-13, 08:14 PM
I was going to order vinyl kit no window and just use my original glass but the top people said that i cant sew it in, doescthat sound right to you guys?????

Whether it's glass or plastic window, it's a two piece top, the top itself and the back curtain. If both pieces on yours are toast, you'll need a complete top.

disturbio
05-02-13, 02:36 AM
Ya i want to order the two pc. kit but reuse my original glass.... if its possible to sew back in.

425 Dual Quad
05-12-13, 06:57 PM
Ez-On canvas top with glass rear window from Hirsch on my 65 de Ville. Absolutely fabulous looking top and fits like a glove. Still looks pristine 2 years later. Looks a million dollars - and only cost $800 or so all in, pads, cables everything.
Thoroughly recommend it.
enjoy! Nick

smelvis
05-16-13, 10:32 PM
I don't think there is any way at all to reuse your window unless its the zipper kind. The glass is not actually sewn to the vinyl it a type of adhesive applied with heat.

I only know that cause I asked everyone on the planet if u could get my glass and back curtain to stick together again.

Either way you will have to buy the curtain so just get the glass one. Prob well worth the$50 than trying to sew or glue.

cadillacbart
05-17-13, 04:59 PM
I don't think there is any way at all to reuse your window unless its the zipper kind. The glass is not actually sewn to the vinyl it a type of adhesive applied with heat.

I only know that cause I asked everyone on the planet if u could get my glass and back curtain to stick together again.

Either way you will have to buy the curtain so just get the glass one. Prob well worth the$50 than trying to sew or glue.

Agreed.

disturbio
06-01-13, 01:23 AM
Thanks fellas