: flashing tach light

Topless vette
04-13-13, 11:29 PM
i have had the trailing lights on tach dial flashing a few times. what does that mean, can t find it anywerhe.

Chuck
04-13-13, 11:46 PM
i have had the trailing lights on tach dial flashing a few times. what does that mean, can t find it anywerhe.
The tracers also function as a "shift light". Page 5-13 in the 2012 manual.

Topless vette
04-13-13, 11:57 PM
hmm ok,, seems they start flashing sometimes around 5k. but maybe the revs are up and the tach hasn t caught up to it yet.

HUGN*RDS
04-14-13, 11:07 AM
hmm ok,, seems they start flashing sometimes around 5k. but maybe the revs are up and the tach hasn t caught up to it yet.
considering the tach runs off a digital speed sensor signal I very highly doubt the tach tracers don't keep up with the actual revs.

Smokin80
04-14-13, 11:42 AM
Yup. Flashes close to red line. And no the needle is not lagging behind. Go out and drive it like you stole it....tach will flash lots. Hahah

Topless vette
04-14-13, 04:30 PM
i did steal it .......shhhh
ok maybe i am the one lagging then, seems they start at 5 but maybe it is already at the redline by the time i catch up to it. did another "road test" today, acutually a couple. if i leave it in sport mode, it doesn t do it. cause IT knows when to shift. so all said n done, it is driver malfunction.
thanks for the input

RaVeNous
04-14-13, 04:37 PM
It's not a very responsive shift light, mostly for looks in my opinion. You have to shift really early to avoid bouncing off the limiter anyway because of the delay. If you practice though its just as crisp as anything else, just not as sharp and instantaneous as say a double clutch 8 speed from a Benz Audi or BMW. In reality the A6 is really an auto to be driven as an auto, which is how I usually drive it. I did order paddles to see if I can use those more. I do like manual shifting sometimes just to feel more engaged but its was faster shifting itself, and that's by design. I have no doubt that you could practice the manual shifting and rival the auto shifting in some situations.