: 2005 Escalade ESV: Do I need new shocks?

bowwowscaddy
04-13-13, 11:12 PM
My 2005 Escalade ESV Platinum with 105,000 miles. I bought it last summer with
98,000 and new tires. The tires are already cupping and I get a slight rumbling at
highway speeds which gets worse the faster I go. I'm fairly sure these are original
shocks. Does any of this sound like I need new shocks?
Thanks.

the cadillac man
04-14-13, 12:03 AM
My 2005 Escalade ESV Platinum with 105,000 miles. I bought it last summer with
98,000 and new tires. The tires are already cupping and I get a slight rumbling at
highway speeds which gets worse the faster I go. I'm fairly sure these are original
shocks. Does any of this sound like I need new shocks?
Thanks.

The rumbling noise is more likely a bearing in need of replacing
Along with the front end needing a realignment
The shocks don't cause nether issue

sprink60
04-14-13, 12:09 AM
The rumbling noise is more likely a bearing in need of replacing
Along with the front end needing a realignment
The shocks don't cause nether issue

...but...at 105K I would start budgeting for R & R shocks soon.

the cadillac man
04-14-13, 12:47 AM
...but...at 105K I would start budgeting for R & R shocks soon.

Sprink you have a point on the shocks(worn shocks make a squeak noise though)

Though the noise he is describing is a bearing problem(been there) as my previous car had the front wheel bearing wear out at 130,000 miles(it was one then the other later on)
The wheel alignment is mentioned(uneven tire wear(I had to do mine when I got my tires changed))

bowwowscaddy
04-14-13, 09:17 AM
I 'll have a mechanic check it out. Good call that it might be a bearing. Anyone know how much a new bearing and front end alignment might cost? I'll check with my local Cadillac dealer and the mechanic at a local Western Auto, auto repair/parts business, to get a comparison.

6lbsofSound
04-14-13, 09:42 AM
Cupping on tires is caused from worn shocks. If the tread pattern is wearing uneven then that is signs of the alignment being off.

To replace the bearing you need the entire hub as its cheaper and cost like 50 bucks plus labor. The alignment varies I paid 80 for a full 4 wheel alignment when I got new tires 2 months ago.

the cadillac man
04-14-13, 07:07 PM
I 'll have a mechanic check it out. Good call that it might be a bearing. Anyone know how much a new bearing and front end alignment might cost? I'll check with my local Cadillac dealer and the mechanic at a local Western Auto, auto repair/parts business, to get a comparison.

The cost of the alignment depends on where you go

TLMC
04-17-13, 10:27 PM
There is no 4 wheel alignment on an escalade, front wheel only. The rear end assembly is fixed not independent.

the cadillac man
04-17-13, 11:40 PM
There is no 4 wheel alignment on an escalade, front wheel only. The rear end assembly is fixed not independent.

Yep or the cost for the alignment would be higher mine was around 40.00 bucks to do and has been great since(mine would pull a bit to the right before realignment)

djais1801
04-19-13, 12:57 PM
yes...cupping of wheels is def sign of worn shocks

kdbvulcan
05-23-13, 09:26 AM
what bearing do yall think it is?...my 04 makes a noise up front but its starts humming on and then quits on decaleration

wesyder
05-23-13, 09:49 AM
what bearing do yall think it is?...my 04 makes a noise up front but its starts humming on and then quits on decaleration

Mine does that as well but im pretty sure its the front diff, both wheel bearings have been changed before

kdbvulcan
05-23-13, 10:06 AM
about how much did it cost?

----------

[QUOTE=wesyder;3358073]Mine does that as well but im pretty sure its the front diff, both wheel bearings have been changed before[/QUOTE about how much did it cost to replace both of them?

bowwowscaddy
05-23-13, 01:14 PM

Shocks are good. My mechanic suggested to get all four wheels rebalanced and a front end alignment. I did that and all is good. He also changed the front and rear differentials and transfer case fluids. For $220.00 total for parts and labor. My local Cadillac dealer wanted $450.00+ for the same service.

Typer2k1
05-24-13, 12:33 AM
My Escalade is rumbling from the front end too, it's more noticeable above 20-30mph with my foot on the gas, but when I let off the accelerator it goes away. I've seen someone on eBay that will rebuild your front diff for $850 shipped. I think their name is Gmgearheads and they use ac delco parts

wesyder
05-24-13, 08:23 AM
about how much did it cost?

----------

Parts i think were $130 a piece, i installed myself

grayparatrooper
05-24-13, 12:35 PM

didnt know that assume you would have to get 4wheel alignment. Cheaper is cool with me though lol.

wesyder
05-24-13, 01:29 PM
didnt know that assume you would have to get 4wheel alignment. Cheaper is cool with me though lol.

The machines I've used, sensors still go on the rear but theres no adjustment