: My steering wheel feels... loose. I can shift it side to side.

Bruins
04-13-13, 08:41 PM
I started noticing a couple weeks ago that when I was turning corners i had a sort of clunk-feeling in my steering. I realize now that I can recreate the feeling when I'm stopped just by holding onto the wheel and moving it side to side. It feels almost as though the steering colomn has come loose. It only moves by a fraction of a fraction of an inch (hardly enough to see movement), but it's got me a little concerned. Does anyone have any experience with something like this? (05 STS V6)

Cadillac Cust Svc
04-14-13, 12:18 AM
I started noticing a couple weeks ago that when I was turning corners i had a sort of clunk-feeling in my steering. I realize now that I can recreate the feeling when I'm stopped just by holding onto the wheel and moving it side to side. It feels almost as though the steering colomn has come loose. It only moves by a fraction of a fraction of an inch (hardly enough to see movement), but it's got me a little concerned. Does anyone have any experience with something like this? (05 STS V6)

Hello Bruins,

I am sorry you are experiencing issues with your steering wheel. If you private message me your VIN# I can look further into this issue for you. Have a great night!

Sincerely,

Laura M.
Cadillac Customer Service

ETC92Guy
04-14-13, 09:04 AM
The wheel on my 07 moves a small amount laterally when fully extended. Bump the switch to move it closer to the dash and see if the condition is the same.

Bruins
04-16-13, 10:41 AM
I moved it a little towards the dash, and it still "clunks" side to side. I moved it in all the way and there is still no change...

curtc
04-16-13, 11:00 AM
Just tried to jiggle mine a bit this morning, does the same thing. Shifts from side to side ever so slightly, hardly noticeable but it definitely moves.

Ludacrisvp
04-16-13, 01:35 PM
mine only moves in the directions that it is supposed to. (then again I have a redesigned steering setup than the 05-07 model)

orange57
04-16-13, 02:56 PM
I can feel a slight movement in mine, but cannot visually see it move at all. It has done it since I got the car. I have always attributed it to any slop in the motor/gears that the column moves on. Can't say it has impacted driving at all.

Bruins
04-16-13, 10:53 PM
Well at least I'm not the only one. It only started a short while ago but it doesn't seem to be getting any worse. I'll keep an eye on it.

orange57
04-17-13, 01:56 AM
Well at least I'm not the only one. It only started a short while ago but it doesn't seem to be getting any worse. I'll keep an eye on it.

Are you sure you didn't just start noticing it? May have always been there.

Bruins
04-17-13, 02:37 AM
No, it's certainly a new phenomenon. When I bought this car I gave it a very thorough exam and noticed nothing. I remember the first time it did it as well, but refused to let it bother me until the wife drove the car and came home saying there is a clunky feeling when you turn. If I notice it I can somewhat overlook it, but as soon as the wife is noticing it I'm annoyed.

carter's_sts
04-17-13, 12:12 PM
Never let your wife drive your car.....ha ha.