: Is AT V accelerate faster than MT V?

Eswat
04-13-13, 02:06 PM
Is that true?
Why? Because gear ratio?
But AT V is heavier,right?
So that's why many AT V on drag race,even more than MT V?
I ever found some mod were about hydraulic converter lock ratio,
it means 6L90 could lock hydraulic converter but it would release when full throttle?

Betiwin
04-13-13, 02:41 PM
Yes V auto is faster. It's more with the autos ability to launch. Also when you decide to Mod her the auto is substantially faster. An auto stage 1 car can run 10's, manuals are just to hard to launch in these cars. If rowing ur own gears is more important than straight line speed than manual is the ticket.

Eswat
04-13-13, 03:29 PM
I know a tuner who able to mod most traditional MT to full paddle-shift, never need clutch pedal again and the shift lever too.
From beginning, consider about gearbox efficiency ,overall weight, long-term stability, and the reason above, I prefer MT.
I ever heard V's AT would shift up itself even switch at MT mode, so it means u cannot remain at a gear all the time at V's AT?

Random84
04-13-13, 03:51 PM
Manual trans cars have a superior rear-end gear ratio, and put slightly more power to the ground with less rotating mass than the heavier automatic transmission (with a big, heavy torque converter spinning around). However the big issue remains "can you shift as fast as an automatic transmission?" I don't know of any human than can... and add in the ability to modify shift pressure, to change out stall/torque converters with lighter, more efficient converters often with a higher stall; and this combo is ideal for drag racing - even with the weight and gearing penalties. The fastest drag racers all use automatic transmissions, period.

However, for "driving" the car and road/track racing, manual transmissions are clearly preferred for the feel and control factors.

Just depends on how you want to define "best" and what the purpose of your car is for.

matt116
04-13-13, 04:03 PM
I know a tuner who able to mod most traditional MT to full paddle-shift, never need clutch pedal again and the shift lever too.
From beginning, consider about gearbox efficiency ,overall weight, long-term stability, and the reason above, I prefer MT.
I ever heard V's AT would shift up itself even switch at MT mode, so it means u cannot remain at a gear all the time at V's AT?

If you put the AT in M mode it will shift itself until you up or down shift with stick or paddles and it stays in that gear. Then you have to shift manually until you put it back to drive.

Mongopush
04-13-13, 04:37 PM
If you put the AT in M mode it will shift itself until you up or down shift with stick or paddles and it stays in that gear. Then you have to shift manually until you put it back to drive. While in sport mode and manually shifting just hold shifter in up-shift position for around 3 seconds , it will go back to auto shift sport mode.

Eswat
04-13-13, 05:23 PM
Thanks to u all.
Some AT tuners(like RPM) offer a mod option that to add lockup disks at the hydraulic converter, what's the exactly means?
I know some hydraulic converter able to lock between engine side&tranny side, the mod seems able to let it lock just like MT's clutch, isn't it?
So that means original 6L90 is not able to lock hydraulic converter, right?
I want to say if the hydraulic converter locked,
it just same as MT but with soft launch(all of hydraulic converter won't lock while launch even itself can do it), by this view of point is make sense that AT car could faster than traditional MT car.

V locity
04-13-13, 05:50 PM
Eswat, the lockup function is totally programmable on the auto. You can even keep it locked up through the shifts if you wanted to. It's not recommended because its very hard on the tranny's internals...

thebigjimsho
04-13-13, 05:52 PM
The auto is faster at launch. That's it.

V locity
04-13-13, 06:11 PM
Here's a great video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBA8mX2qinA&sns=em

Trapspeed
04-13-13, 06:39 PM
I'll tell you what- that's a light-cutting fool!

Gary Wells
04-13-13, 07:01 PM
Cad CTS-V2 automatic versus manual trans data (as of 01-02-2012):

Manual trans (M6): Tremec TR6060 6 speed manual,
fully synchronized with single overdrive (MG9):
Gear ratios (:1) 1st: 2.66, 2nd: 1.78, 3rd: 1.30, 4th: 1.00,
5th: 0.80, 6th: 0.63, final: 3.73, reverse: 2.90

Gas Guzzler (GG) tax of $1300, or half that of the A6
Faster by 16 MPH (191 MPH versus 175 MPH (governed))
A tad slower in the 1/4 & on the street
A tad better mileage than the auto but probably not significant
About 32 more RWHP than an A6 on average as measured on a Dynojet
About 27 more RWTQ than an A6 on average as measured on a Dynojet
About 95 lbs lighter that the auto
No remote start feature
Has “no lift-shift” feature

Automatic trans (A6): Hydra-matic 6L90E 6 speed
electronically controlled automatic overdrive with
torque converter clutch (MYD): Gear ratios: (1:) 1st:
4.03, 2nd: 2.36, 3rd: 1.53, 4th: 1.15, 5th: 0.85, 6th: 0.67,
final: 3.23, reverse: 3.06

Gas Guzzler (GG) tax of $2600, or twice that of the M6
Slower by 16 MPH (175 MPH (governed) versus 191 MPH)
A tad quicker in the 1/4 & on the street
A tad worse mileage than the manual but probably not significant
About 32 less RWHP than an M6 on average as measured on a Dynojet
About 27 less RWTQ that an M6 on average as measured on a Dynojet
About 95 lbs heavier that the manual
Remote start feature
Normal mode initially starts in 1st gear, then starts in 2nd gear thereafter
Manual mode starts in 1st gear always

About 1 in every 6 ’09 CTS-V’s were / are manual trans (M6)

matt116
04-13-13, 07:07 PM
Auto for life yo

Lmfao

Like I said
Hard if not impossible to out shift a tuned 6L90E

Eswat
04-14-13, 04:26 AM
Eswat, the lockup function is totally programmable on the auto. You can even keep it locked up through the shifts if you wanted to. It's not recommended because its very hard on the tranny's internals...

I ever thought about it.
If engine deliver higher output and hydraulic converter locks, then the issue would come from tranny internals.
But I don't see too much internal strengthen part or services about 6L90E, like internal clutches, shafts...etc.

V locity
04-14-13, 09:07 AM
I wouldn't even go there (but parts are there)... We are seeing a correctly tuned 90e hold 1000 HP... These are actually amazing transmissions once you get to know them! The problem is that they are very shy ;)

Luna.
04-14-13, 05:30 PM
The auto is faster at launch. That's it.

This.

And it makes all the difference.

thebigjimsho
04-15-13, 11:27 AM
This.

And it makes all the difference.

Sure, robot master...

Stillborn
04-17-13, 12:58 AM
the first gen v's was a no brainer (only came in manual) but the big boys who know a thing or two will automatically (pun intended) opt for the multi-purpose
auto, as it's a auto when you need it, and a manual when you want it. a stick will just be a stick,...and you dont want to smack a hornets nest with a short stick, as it's a lose lose endeavor. there are no manual V's in the record books for speed titles. if you want to row all day, buy a little boat. hahhaa

mannyz
04-17-13, 04:51 AM
Actually the fastest standing texas mile V was a manual with 3.73s. I'm sure there are autos that can beat that time, but mod for mod the manuals were getting it in at the event.

Chrispy
04-17-13, 10:56 AM
Actually the fastest standing texas mile V was a manual with 3.73s. I'm sure there are autos that can beat that time, but mod for mod the manuals were getting it in at the event.

The winning cars at the Texas invitational that just happened were UR Lambos converted to manuals as well. For roll racing and standing mile the manuals are winning it.

thebigjimsho
04-17-13, 11:05 AM
the first gen v's was a no brainer (only came in manual) but the big boys who know a thing or two will automatically (pun intended) opt for the multi-purpose
auto, as it's a auto when you need it, and a manual when you want it. a stick will just be a stick,...and you dont want to smack a hornets nest with a short stick, as it's a lose lose endeavor. there are no manual V's in the record books for speed titles. if you want to row all day, buy a little boat. hahhaa

People who appreciate driving go with the manual. People who think they do go with the auto...

Stillborn
04-17-13, 01:20 PM
people who appreciate "winning" go with the auto. people who accept 2nd place as the 1st loser go with the manual...

RippyPartsDept
04-17-13, 02:10 PM
depends what you want to win?

1/4 mile or full mile?
1 lap at Laguna Seca or 3 laps at Sebring?
Gumball 3000 or 24 hours of Le Mans?

thebigjimsho
04-17-13, 03:21 PM
people who appreciate "winning" go with the auto. people who accept 2nd place as the 1st loser go with the manual...

Winning what? Got any trophies, champ?

Random84
04-17-13, 08:51 PM
Well this thread went downhill fast. :D

Eswat
04-17-13, 11:39 PM
Actually my land just 2 circuits and only 1 drag site.
If, just if I go drag race with slicks, at same class I think there's nobody could win V wagon, even if it stock.
Usually we arrange the same class, similar hp or weight-power ratio cars at publish race.
For example, at publish races, V wagon would only meet other wagons, equal rival could be RS6, E55KT, M5 wagon, Panamera turbo..etc.
Of course u can go challenge GTR, Lambo, Porsche...etc, but most people would think it's just for fun.
But after I buy V wagon, I may not often go track race(it's 200miles away from my home), but I think I would go the track to experience V wagon's handling with others.
If I swap 325mm slicks at rear with stronger sway bars and V wagon's handling exactly better than V sedan, it may not hard to get 1st:cool:
So now I think MT V wagon is good if I running at circuits, also helps better mpg, but AT V wagon is good for daily usage and my wife.
Most people here do not think American performance cars could with elite chassis and suspension, until ZR1 spawn out at nordscheife.
Last time a Viper ACR here refresh track fastest record at our race circuit, lead 2nd record by 17 secs just run 2 times, they(these lambo or ferrari owners or racers) said:it's a holy S**T fast machine!!"
But they still think all caddys are just big, comfortable or luxury car only, they do not think V could beat most sedans at the track.
Here, in my land, they just love Deutsche cars like audi, bimmer, mercedes, porsche or Japanese cars.

Maybe it's time to refresh their brain:bigroll:

Luna.
04-18-13, 10:15 PM

It makes perfect sense. No drivetrain loss & it's lighter. The advantage of the faster launch gets eaten up over time.

rayjoedef
04-19-13, 06:56 PM
I don't know as I've had many cars with each....proper tune and this auto's pretty good.

V locity
04-20-13, 04:05 PM
http://i.imgur.com/SIQ2s.gif

Stillborn
04-20-13, 04:26 PM
^^^ lol all the auto guys beating the p*ss out of the manual owner.

stl_ls1gto
04-22-13, 06:38 AM
Manual trans takes the auto roll/highway racing. From a dig, the auto should best the manual in most all cases unless you get a perfect launch in the manual without bogging it or blowing the tires away.

thebigjimsho
04-22-13, 04:27 PM
Well this thread went downhill fast. :DI drove the auto at Monticello in Nov of '08. I liked it a lot. It's an excellent automatic. I just wouldn't own one if there was a manual variant...

----------

^^^ lol all the auto guys beating the p*ss out of the manual owner.It's hard to overcome 85/15 ratio. Of course, the majority is always right...

Pphilthy
04-23-13, 09:42 AM
The auto has proven to be faster on the drag strip and the road course. On the street, auto is also faster... I've raced manual V with over 50whp more than I'm running and I still beat him - 99% of manual drivers don't have the skill they think they have.

thebigjimsho
04-23-13, 09:43 AM
The auto has proven to be faster on the drag strip and the road course. On the street, auto is also faster... I've raced manual V with over 50whp more than I'm running and I still beat him - 99% of manual drivers don't have the skill they think they have.

Hey guys, I'm a 1 percenter!

VMoose
04-23-13, 10:06 AM
There is always going to be a tuned car, auto or manual, that is faster than the one you are driving. The auto, while conveniently quick, felt like it wasn't the full experience. Pressing buttons on the back of the steering wheel and moving a lever to the right just didn't do it for me. Three pedals and a real shifter are what I am looking forward to.

rayjoedef
04-23-13, 07:42 PM
Another reason I prefer the auto, other than quick shifts, is the ability to concentrate on steering feel. To me, there's nothing more satisfying than feeling the mechanical grip and tracking of a perfectly aligned car. By having the car in auto, I am able to appreciate that rather than if I was rowing...Plus, the V's steering is one of the best in the business.

embassured
04-23-13, 11:44 PM
As another MT-V owner and to back-up BigJim, if you're even asking the question then a manual is not for you. You know when you want to row your own gears. You appreciate the directness, the control, the throttle blips, and the rev of the engine as you move from reverse into first. What's even better is when someone gets in your car, sees a stick and thinks, "WTF" - which, of course, inevitably leads to an entire story about the "V" itself.

Want to make sure your wife doesn't drive your car? Get a manual. Want to shame parking attendants and valets? Get a manual. Want your kid to shift while you're driving? Get a manual.

Want to enjoy rush hour traffic? Get an auto and a Valium.

Good luck,
Eric

pat2t2f
04-24-13, 07:57 AM
I also have the manual tranny. I did not buy a race car. I bought a high performance street car and I wanted the whole experience which includes shifting the gears.
This is a great country because we have choices and the General did a great thing by giving us options to choose. I like what I have and I'm happy that you like what you have.

Pphilthy
04-24-13, 02:24 PM
Again, topic was which accelerates faster, not which one makes you feel better... Auto is the clear winner, no denying it accelerates faster. I would love to see a like modded manual, with a guy that's local and thinks he's a 1 percenter, meet me down to Etown or Atco.. Any takers?

Luna.
04-24-13, 03:27 PM
Again, topic was which accelerates faster, not which one makes you feel better... Auto is the clear winner, no denying it accelerates faster. I would love to see a like modded manual, with a guy that's local and thinks he's a 1 percenter, meet me down to Etown or Atco.. Any takers?

The question was asked and answered. The auto is quicker at launch, that's it. It's geared differently & it's heavier. I've seen some AT Vs launch like hell at the track and I've yet to see a MAN V launch anywhere near what an AT V can do; it can be a beast launching a manual well/consistently (especially a highly modded one). "Accelerates faster" isn't accurate. I'll gladly race any AT V from, say, 70mph in a manual (stock vs. stock, of course). Any takers?

quikag
04-24-13, 05:53 PM
People who appreciate driving go with the manual. People who think they do go with the auto...

Uh, what about those of us who already have a manual tranny car? I love my manual ZR1 and my '12 V automatic. The auto is actually pretty darn nice. It's not a dual-clutch, but it shifts quick and firm, the paddle shift is somewhat responsive as long as you anticipate the slight delay from pulling button and getting the upshift or downshift. Then, auto mode is nice and comfy just loafing around town. I'm glad I got the automatic, but I even more glad Cadillac stiff offers a manual for those who choose to row their own gears.

Crystal Red CTS-V
04-24-13, 06:12 PM
Uh, what about those of us who already have a manual tranny car? I love my manual ZR1 and my '12 V automatic. The auto is actually pretty darn nice. It's not a dual-clutch, but it shifts quick and firm, the paddle shift is somewhat responsive as long as you anticipate the slight delay from pulling button and getting the upshift or downshift. Then, auto mode is nice and comfy just loafing around town. I'm glad I got the automatic, but I even more glad Cadillac stiff offers a manual for those who choose to row their own gears.

Yes! Same with my Z06!

ExpatMedic
04-28-13, 03:09 PM
Here's a great video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBA8mX2qinA&sns=em

Hey, that car looks familiar! :2thumbs:

This is simple. If you plan on drag racing, buy the Auto. If you want a fast car to 'drive' and troll around, buy the manual.

I will always prefer a manual, but I was forced to buy the Auto in this car. I had a goal, and that was to have a reliable 10 second sedan. Given that there isn't a single manual V in the 10s, I figured the choice was simple. Mod for mod, the auto V's are simply faster in the 1/4 mile - often considerably so. When I raced a friends 565rwhp V with my 575rwhp Mustang (manual) and he put 3 1/10ths and 5mph on me, I knew there was something special about the auto V's.

I still prefer a manual, but I've found a nice way to keep the withdrawals at bay is to use the auto's shifter in manual mode.....kinda sorta the same, but not really. lol.

Stillborn
04-28-13, 03:23 PM
once you use the manual mode in the auto for a solid amount of street driving seat time,...it's better that the manual, as it is crisper and fail/fool proof. the only thing you're missing is a cramped left calve muscle. i rev match up-shift and down, and can modulate the throttle to break the tires loose at will with no need for changing clutches every 2-3 yrs. and the sport mode for hi-way use is as good as it gets for ALWAYS being in the right gear at the right time. the manual is (sad to say) outdated horse and buggy tech. it's for those that need to drag the past into the future,...just ask Washington D.C. ;)

rayjoedef
04-28-13, 04:55 PM
agree stillborn....it's no double clutch but with the tune and mods I have, in sport-mode, shifts are crisp and I get the exact gear I want every time....There is no way someones shifting as fast as my auto while keeping the r's up in the sweet spot....

thebigjimsho
04-28-13, 07:26 PM
once you use the manual mode in the auto for a solid amount of street driving seat time,...it's better that the manual, as it is crisper and fail/fool proof. the only thing you're missing is a cramped left calve muscle. i rev match up-shift and down, and can modulate the throttle to break the tires loose at will with no need for changing clutches every 2-3 yrs. and the sport mode for hi-way use is as good as it gets for ALWAYS being in the right gear at the right time. the manual is (sad to say) outdated horse and buggy tech. it's for those that need to drag the past into the future,...just ask Washington D.C. ;)

Or maybe you never learned to drive stick?

V locity
04-28-13, 10:27 PM
Here's another AT-MT video for the viewers' pleasure

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAYvC2CAmoY

Smokin80
04-28-13, 11:53 PM
hmmmmm

I like this argument. I 100 percent agree that an auto is gonna be faster. However, I still prefer the manual. I logged my zero to 60 the other day and my shift times were 2 tenths of a second from first to second. I feel like i should make a video of this........anyone else with manuals that has gotten better than a 2 tenths shift?

i also logged back to back 3.8 second 0-60s with just an intake and a tune on 305 wide re11s. What are the auto's running for zero to 60? I would think with sticky tires a stock one should do 3.6.... Only thing holding the stock cars back is the PS2s.

flame on!!!! hahah...manual all day long! I like the concentration and practice involved in being fast in a manual.

rayjoedef
04-29-13, 12:35 AM
Just got back from a joy ride with this tread in mind...I have an A6 coupe heavily modded - temp about 50 degrees. Sport mode with all nannies off.....75mph coast then stomp. Holy shit, this car is so fast to find the exact gear and then bang all subsequent gears that I really have to hang on and stay focused. Step out then hook. IMO when this tranny is tuned correctly, it is pretty amazing and faster than any leg/arm combo. I think the horse is dead.

Smokin80
04-29-13, 01:10 AM
agreed...still doesnt make me want an auto though....only reason i would is if i was planning to build a dedicated drag car. But, i do not have the monetary backing to turn a 60k dollar car into a weekend warrior. lol

No way can i shift faster than a well tuned auto...but i bet i can get damn close :) and for me...that is where all the fun is.

RippyPartsDept
04-29-13, 11:45 AM
one thing I miss about manual transmissions (now that I drive an AT vehicle) is being able to cut the engine as i'm pulling into the driveway/parking spot to cut down on the noise as i pull in

(i'm often out late and like to be curious to my tennant and roomate)

Stillborn
04-29-13, 04:02 PM
Or maybe you never learned to drive stick?

surely you must be kidding? maybe you are hung up on a horse and buggy mentality and cant
comprehend the fact that no matter how bad you want the standard to be king of the hill (think 1950's-90's)
the auto is now holding that spot and will for the rest of 4 wheel history. i love a stick for the same reasons
everyone else does, but to win bragging right/races you'll need an auto. (not to be associated with the auto trannys of the 50's-90's)

facts list:
1. auto has 3 modes of driving options. (auto/normal, sport, & "MANUAL MODE"- (paddle and slap shift) minus stiff calve muscle)
2. auto is faster to react and doesnt miss shifts. it's computer controlled, and therefore it's ALWAYS going to be faster than humans can react.
3. new age tech has arrived,... and the auto is the leader in this realm.

note: the Nürburgring record breaking run was done in an auto because the auto is more consistent. period.

and lastly for all you stick huggers, the only thing you truly miss by not having an auto is being in the winners circle. lol

brent38
04-29-13, 06:51 PM
surely you must be kidding? maybe you are hung up on a horse and buggy mentality and cant
comprehend the fact that no matter how bad you want the standard to be king of the hill (think 1950's-90's)
the auto is now holding that spot and will for the rest of 4 wheel history. i love a stick for the same reasons
everyone else does, but to win bragging right/races you'll need an auto. (not to be associated with the auto trannys of the 50's-90's)

facts list:
1. auto has 3 modes of driving options. (auto/normal, sport, & "MANUAL MODE"- (paddle and slap shift) minus stiff calve muscle)
2. auto is faster to react and doesnt miss shifts. it's computer controlled, and therefore it's ALWAYS going to be faster than humans can react.

note: the Nürburgring record breaking run was done in an auto because the auto is more consistent. period.

and lastly for all you stick huggers, the only thing you truly miss by not having an auto is being in the winners circle. lol

I have a M6, my choice, I agree with the A6 quicker Drag Racing but
Is the A6 strong enough to run consistently all day on a Road Course?

RippyPartsDept
04-29-13, 11:00 PM
Again some thought. But is that the OP'd question? Who knows...

thebigjimsho
04-29-13, 11:34 PM
I love how stillborn is so obsessed with his little plastic trophies. If I wanted to be faster, I'd mod more. I just want to drive. You know, not just brain dead right foot, right hand only jive...

Stillborn
04-30-13, 03:36 PM
I love how stillborn is so obsessed with his little plastic trophies. If I wanted to be faster, I'd mod more. I just want to drive. You know, not just brain dead right foot, right hand only jive...

some were just born to hand jive. lmao

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krSe4Y6Zro0

as far as the left foot, now it's used to steady/plant you in the seat, instead of throwing your weight differential off in the seat.
as for shifting, i can shift faster and shorter throws (slap shift) than you can ever dream of. so where is this "experience" i'm missing out on?

thebigjimsho
05-01-13, 08:56 AM
I guess ignorance is bliss...

Stillborn
05-01-13, 02:29 PM
I guess ignorance is bliss...

yes, yours. you have what we in the psychology profession call "cognitive dissonance". (google that)

Trainman SRT-10
05-01-13, 02:53 PM
I think this is interesting, since most people say the manual has lower gears it should be quicker, but if you look at the ratios with the transmission ratios thrown in the automatic has the clear advantage:

Manual Transmission .......... Automatic
Trans ratio X Rear ratio = overall... Trans ratio X Rear ratio = overall

1st: 2.66 X 3.73 = 9.9218.......... 1st: 4.03 X 3.23 = 13.0169

2nd: 1.78 X 3.73 = 6.6394.......... 2nd: 2.36 X 3.23 = 7.6228

3rd: 1.30 X 3.73 = 4.849.......... 3rd: 1.53 X 3.23 = 4.9419

4th: 1.00 X 3.73 = 3.73.......... 4th: 1.15 X 3.23 = 3.7145

The manual transmission car would need a 4.89 rear gear to be equal off the line (assuming good traction).
I have a 2012 CTS V coupe with 6-speed manual and I love it. Does anyone know if there are gears available for the CTS V rear end?

thebigjimsho
05-01-13, 03:05 PM
yes, yours. you have what we in the psychology profession call "cognitive dissonance". (google that)

As someone who drove an automatic V at Monticello before it was available to the public, the ignorance falls back on you...

Stillborn
05-01-13, 03:45 PM
As someone who drove an automatic V at Monticello before it was available to the public, the ignorance falls back on you...

so with 4hrs (max) seat time you have a clear and definitive opinion? did you leave it in drive? did you manual mode it? c'mon jim,
i'm not here to debate personal opinion, as thats never going to win a debate. facts do. it took me well over 6mo to get comfortable in my car
and i'm no slouch. anyone who drives a demo car for half a day and thinks he's got it all figured out is clinically insane. i know for a fact at the track day events they wont let you turn off the "nannies",...so your argument is poor from the get go.

rayjoedef
05-01-13, 06:16 PM
.....check-mate

RippyPartsDept
05-01-13, 06:22 PM
.... king me!

thebigjimsho
05-01-13, 07:18 PM
so with 4hrs (max) seat time you have a clear and definitive opinion? did you leave it in drive? did you manual mode it? c'mon jim,
i'm not here to debate personal opinion, as thats never going to win a debate. facts do. it took me well over 6mo to get comfortable in my car
and i'm no slouch. anyone who drives a demo car for half a day and thinks he's got it all figured out is clinically insane. i know for a fact at the track day events they wont let you turn off the "nannies",...so your argument is poor from the get go.

This was at the Cadilllac Driving Lab in November of '08. We had options in registration of auto or manual. I chose auto for the sole reason of getting an opinion on it.

I was, for a fact, allowed to go into sport mode and competitive driving mode. We had instructors and I was allowed to go as hard as I wanted to. I used the shift buttons for everything.

As for opinions, I got more than enough seat time. More than enough. And I was VERY complimentary of the automatic. I did a whole write up on the V and event. It's in here somewhere.

What you don't get is that I've driven over 1.3 million miles in my lifetime. About 1 million in automatic Town Cars. There is no auto I've ever driven that engages my senses like a manual. This is not an argument on wine. My opinion on an auto V does not change after more than a couple of hours behind the wheel. It's a philosophical difference that can not be changed.

I want to drive, not just hang on...

Stillborn
05-01-13, 11:44 PM
why is is it so hard to acknowledge the fact the auto in manual mode is better than a clutch laden manual? shifts firmer, faster, and shorter, with the
exact same rev/engine control of a standard clutch. you said you played with the buttons on the wheel, i tried them maybe a dozen times and think
they are more of a joke than an experience, i may point out to people it has paddle (s2t) shifters for the coolness of it all, but they are numb in the driver experience you and i both need to feel happy in the seat. i use exclusively the slap shift feature on the center stack and it beats any manual i ever driven/owned
in the 4 wheel category. suffice it to say i was myself surprised that i could be so engaged with an auto, but it happens to be the real winner here
as 2 gates (up/dwn) is seamless and effortless, no need to "find" a gear it just does it with a slight nudge of the lever and gives (imho) even more
control over the experience as you dont need to wait for the foot to engage the slack/slop in the chain of events. at the end of the day, as long as you're happy
and feel good about being stubborn then thats all that matters....and as far as shutting off the nannies, oh no you didn't, you may not turn off the tc at any event with Cadillac owned/sponsored vehicles. i'm sure others here who have gone to said events will verify this "fact".

stl_ls1gto
05-02-13, 09:17 AM
I asked the driver of the Nurburgring record about the auto record run....he said he only used the auto for the run because he had been at the ring working on the auto calibration for the previous week before the run and was the most familiar with it at that time....otherwise he would have used a manual car. It was not because the auto is faster.

This was at a Cadillac V Performance Driving Academy 1 day event at Autobahn Country club last fall.

I love the auto in my supercharged GTO that I drag race - only because it is a Performabuilt Level 3 4l60 with a high stall torque converter and is great to drag race. But if you complain about changing clutches every 3 years, than either you are putting out way more power than the clutch was designed for, or you cant drive a stick. Also, if you are putting out alot more power and have all torque manangement turned off, be ready to be changing transmissions every 3-4 years with the auto....clutches are cheaper.

facts list:

thebigjimsho
05-02-13, 07:42 PM
I've driven the auto in anger. It's great. The manual is better.

quikag
05-03-13, 03:41 PM
I got you all beat. I got to drive both a manual tranny and automatic tranny CTS-V at Circuit of the Americas (the brand new F1 track in Austin). :D

Stillborn
05-03-13, 06:23 PM
I've driven the auto in anger. It's great. The manual is better.

if slower is better than yes. heinz over hunts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8EDgkAuJT0&NR=1&feature=endscreen

thebigjimsho
05-03-13, 06:33 PM
Better is better.

Stillborn
05-03-13, 07:10 PM
less is more.

thebigjimsho
05-03-13, 09:04 PM
Why ask why? Try Bud Dry.

RippyPartsDept
05-04-13, 09:51 AM
Why ask why? Try Bud Dry.

http://i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv352/Broken_swOrd1980/Slow_Clap_ITS_A_GIF_PARTY-s420x315-140048-580.gif

Stillborn
05-05-13, 12:11 AM
^^^ lmao.