: 2006 CTS braking problems

imarmstead
04-08-13, 10:06 PM
I am having a problem with my 2006 cts. The brakes fail when making sharp turns to park and I fear running into something in front of me. I have spoken to GM and have a reference # but they tell me they have never heard of this problem before. Now I notice it happens a slow speeds. I have noticed on the Internet that there are hundreds of people with the same problem. I can not afford to pay thousands of dollars people are spending. This sounds like a recall issue. I was just wondering how many others on this forum has experienced this problem and what can I do about it.

dkozloski
04-09-13, 09:55 PM
Do you have this problem on ice or dry pavement?

imarmstead
04-11-13, 12:31 AM
Do you have this problem on ice or dry pavement?

My problem is on dry pavement.

dkozloski
04-11-13, 05:09 PM
I have been on this forum since '04 and I have never heard of it. Have you been able to demonstrate it to the dealer or does this demon strike only when you're alone?

imarmstead
04-11-13, 05:58 PM
I have ask. And they too say they have never heard of. I will go back and insist some gets in the car and see I I see. If you google this the number of people with this problem is alarming. They just have not signed up for this forum. Thank You for the suggestion. I will be back with the results.

dkozloski
04-11-13, 09:59 PM
It sounds like an ABS problem. Get the car in a big parking lot. Drive slowly in a tight circle and apply the brakes. If the brake pedal pulsates and the brakes won't stop you it's an ABS problem; ABS computer or wheel speed sensors.

imarmstead
04-11-13, 11:47 PM
That sounds exactly what happens when braking. Now I know what to ask for and not get taken for a ride. If I plug into one of those computers. What is the code for these two issues . The ABS light has come on. But when you turn the key off and restart it, the light goes away.

dkozloski
04-12-13, 12:27 AM
A simple code reader will not read out anything but engine codes. You'll need a GM TECH II or similar dealer level scan tool for $2500+ to read ABS codes. I have a PC based device called Autoenginuity that will do the job as well.

imarmstead
04-12-13, 01:26 AM
A simple code reader will not read out anything but engine codes. You'll need a GM TECH II or similar dealer level scan tool for $2500+ to read ABS codes. I have a PC based device called Autoenginuity that will do the job as well.

Guess I am headed to the Dealer to check it out. I will leave the code scanning to the Pros. Thank You so much for your advise. I love my Cadillac. Got rid of a Mercedes E430 because of expensive maintenance. Thinking American cars will be less costly. Hope I'm right. I will take it in tomorrow

Submariner409
04-13-13, 10:20 AM
I moved your posts to their own thread concerning YOUR problem - Please don't hijack other threads.

Kingoftypos
04-14-13, 02:51 PM
It sounds like an ABS problem. Get the car in a big parking lot. Drive slowly in a tight circle and apply the brakes. If the brake pedal pulsates and the brakes won't stop you it's an ABS problem; ABS computer or wheel speed sensors.

I am one who experience this problem a lot. It's always when making sharp turns. Either going forward or backwards. Up hill, down hill level surface, it doesn't matter. Factory 225/50R17 or aftermarket 235/45R18. Granted more so on the aftermarket.

Nevertheless, it is the ABS kicking in. I have had the steering wheel position sensor replaced under warranty way back in early 2009. For a couple years I had experience an issue. But the last year or so it has happened quite often. I have learned to keep the wheel straight when approaching a stop. Specially going down hill. If I were to turn the wheel into the direction that I am going, the ABS kicks in and my CTS will roll into the adjacent road. So I just keep the wheels straight.

I also have noticed that the air pressure had to be to the dot even between the tires. Exactly 30psi. If it goes an lbs either way the ABS kicks in more often.

When my brother has scanned all my codes. He has said that the front passenger sensor has thrown a code or two. I never wrote it down though.

KOT

imarmstead
04-14-13, 07:05 PM
I am so glad I am not the only one. The more people that come forward, then maybe we can get GM to investigate and address this issue before someone gets hurt.

Hoosier Daddy
04-15-13, 07:35 PM
I am so glad I am not the only one. The more people that come forward, then maybe we can get GM to investigate and address this issue before someone gets hurt.
The US government will investigate safety issues and take action if appropriate.

People should report automobile safety concerns at: https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/index.xhtml

Make sure you have your VIN handy before clicking.

imarmstead
04-17-13, 11:54 PM
Thank You Hoosier Daddy, I will go to the link and see what happens next.