: Navigation unit

Dadillac
04-12-13, 07:29 PM
I am doing a Nav swap into my '08 DTS that has Bose and no nav. I purchased a unit from eBay for the DTS. I received it today and see that the seller sent a unit for an '08 SRX. Physically it will fit. Does anyone know if the SRX unit will actually work in my DTS? I am in NJ and the seller is in California. If this will work I do not want to send it back and deal with it all. TIA

Don

phigment
04-12-13, 08:14 PM
The SRX and DTS share the same Nav unit. It will work fine.

Dadillac
04-12-13, 08:48 PM
The SRX and DTS share the same Nav unit. It will work fine.
I like your answer but are you sure? They do have different part numbers. I will probably try to get it to work anyway before shipping it back to Cali. But I assume that the SRX's rear seat entertainment runs through the unit. The DTS didn't have that right? As long as I can get the actual navigation to work and the XM to recognize my iPod interface I am good.

Don

Cadillac Cust Svc
04-12-13, 09:42 PM
I like your answer but are you sure? They do have different part numbers. I will probably try to get it to work anyway before shipping it back to Cali. But I assume that the SRX's rear seat entertainment runs through the unit. The DTS didn't have that right? As long as I can get the actual navigation to work and the XM to recognize my iPod interface I am good.

Don

Hello Don,
The answer phigment gave to you is correct. The 2008 DTS and 2008 SRX use the same navigation system (Denso Black Tie). If you are having issues with doing this on your own, you can take your vehicle to a Cadillac dealership for them to take a look at and install for you. Please keep us posted on your navigation unit installation. I would like to make sure your vehicle is the way you want it to be and the navigation unit works how you want in your DTS. Have a great night!

Sincerely,

Laura M.
Cadillac Customer Service

Dadillac
04-13-13, 08:44 PM
Thank you Laura and phigment. I might do the install tomorrow

Don

Cadillac Cust Svc
04-13-13, 09:37 PM
Thank you Laura and phigment. I might do the install tomorrow

Don

You are welcome Don! I am here to help you :) Keep me posted on the installation!

Sincerely,
Laura M.

Dadillac
04-19-13, 07:11 PM
Hello folks I have an update. I did the install today. Didn't take long at all. Phigment's wiring diagram and wiring instructions were spot on. Now to the issues. First, the nav unit is part number 25848914 and is listed for a SRX not a DTS. Phigment and Laura said it should work fine. But after the install I have no audio. When I turn the unit on and switch to FM the FM stations scroll between like 79 and 90. That isn't even close to right. The AM stations aren't all there. The only AM I listen to is 1010 and it skips past 1010. In the audio menu I have listed AM, FM, blank space, Aux, and TI. XM isn't even displayed. Lastly when I hit the Nav button, load the disc, it shows a read error and ejects the disc.

Will having the unit programmed at my local Cadillac dealership straighten all of these issues out? Or am I in need of a different Nav unit? I am at a loss. I am planning on showing up at the dealership tomorrow morning in hopes that they can fit me in but my intuition says that won't happen. Any info that can be provided will be hugely appreciated. TIA

Don

phigment
04-19-13, 07:34 PM
You must have unit programmed at the dealership. After it is programmed you will have sound. Grats on your install. :-)

Dadillac
04-19-13, 08:33 PM
You must have unit programmed at the dealership. After it is programmed you will have sound. Grats on your install. :-)
Thank you for the write up. Do you think, or know, if the other issues are due to not being programmed?

Don

phigment
04-19-13, 08:47 PM
Most of it I think. Make sure you are putting your map disc in the correct spot. You can access the correct DVD slot by going into ttyhe settings/navigation and selecting the option to eject the nav DVD. Apologies, I'm not in my car so I do not know the exact verbiage.

Dadillac
04-19-13, 09:12 PM
As soon as I hit the Nav button it said to load the disc. I opened the screen and the screen lowered exposing the slot. I didn't put it in the CD slot LOL

Don

phigment
04-19-13, 10:11 PM
I didn't know and I've learned not to make assumptions :). What is the P/N on your map disc and is it new? Also, my nav unit was "reset" before it was sent to me. I still had to get it programmed. If your unit was not "reset" I am unsure of what problems you would experience. I know that when programming there are multiple P/N's available for the nav units and the fact that you have the correct P/N will make it easier on the tech.

Dadillac
04-19-13, 10:17 PM
Not sure of the part number of the disc but it is a new 2011 disc. Update 6.0c I think. Hopefully the dealer can program it tomorrow and then I can see how it turns out. The thing that worries me the most is that the XM option isn't showing. I run my iPod through an interface that uses the XM module.

Don

Cadillac Cust Svc
04-19-13, 10:22 PM
Hello folks I have an update. I did the install today. Didn't take long at all. Phigment's wiring diagram and wiring instructions were spot on. Now to the issues. First, the nav unit is part number 25848914 and is listed for a SRX not a DTS. Phigment and Laura said it should work fine. But after the install I have no audio. When I turn the unit on and switch to FM the FM stations scroll between like 79 and 90. That isn't even close to right. The AM stations aren't all there. The only AM I listen to is 1010 and it skips past 1010. In the audio menu I have listed AM, FM, blank space, Aux, and TI. XM isn't even displayed. Lastly when I hit the Nav button, load the disc, it shows a read error and ejects the disc.

Will having the unit programmed at my local Cadillac dealership straighten all of these issues out? Or am I in need of a different Nav unit? I am at a loss. I am planning on showing up at the dealership tomorrow morning in hopes that they can fit me in but my intuition says that won't happen. Any info that can be provided will be hugely appreciated. TIA

Don

Hello Don,

The best course of action is to take your vehicle into your local dealership and have them program the unit. The dealership will be able to properly diagnose your vehicle issue and fix your concerns. I do understand this can be frustrating to not have the system up and running one hundred percent after it was installed. I would like to stay informed throughout this process, so let me know once your navigation unit is looked at! If you have other questions or concerns, please let us know. Have a great night.

Sincerely,

Laura M.

phigment
04-19-13, 10:39 PM
Let us know how it goes after it is programmed. I'm not familiar with the SRX but it might be possible that donor vehicle did not have XM installed. The reprogramming should fix this if that is true. Also the blank spot is DVD and will not show unless a DVD is in.

Dadillac
04-20-13, 10:44 AM
Went to the dealership this morning to get the programming done. They said they tried everything but couldn't get it to work. I did notice that the AUX button is no longer there and the unit didn't turn off with the key any longer so I at least know that they went in. So now I guess I have to try and return this unit and find another one.

Phigment
I hooked up the wiring as you described. Do you think that if one of my connections is not solid it could cause the programming issue? I am thinking no as it seems that that shouldn't stop the entire stereo from programming. I would think that it would just cause the navigation to not operate fully. What do you think?

Don

RippyPartsDept
04-20-13, 11:30 AM
did your dealer know that they were programming a nav unit on a car that did not have nav from the factory?

there's a reason why these kinds of mods aren't easy and it's because there's no documented 'official' way to do it

and even if you did tell your dealer did they tell the tech? ... and even if they did know and try to program it as if it had nav from the factory there still could be something on the install side you missed
and how would you know you missed something?
you wouldn't because there's no upgrade path to follow (again officially)

also the nav unit itself might have some internal fault? only way to know for sure is to send it off to one of GM's ESCs (http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-sts-forum-2005-through-2012/256295-2007-sts-nav-blank-dead-need.html#post2921888) (and if it's a Denso unit you might still be out of luck because most of those get fixed in japan)

phigment
04-20-13, 12:21 PM
The connections you made are for the vss wire and the mic+/-. Even without those, you should still have working sound after the programming. Its "possible" that the tech tried to flash your nav with non-nav software since your car didn't come with nav. They allow the tech2 to pull the VIN, which as far as GM is concerned didn't come with nav. We had to program mine like 6 times, because I didn't have my Nav part#. We manually put in a Vin for a 2009 DTS that came factory with nav. We got the VIN off of ebay. Had to manually put it into the tech2. Now I don't know if all of this is required to program the nav unit. I don't personally own a tech2($$) otherwise I would be much more familiar with it. Here is a VIN for a 2010 DTS with Nav "1G6KP5E9XAU117378". If you can get your tech to deal with you for just a few minutes more you might get this working. Unless your unit truly does have internal problems. Good luck.

Dadillac
04-20-13, 03:52 PM
I think I will stop back in on Monday and talk to them. I will print out this thread and see if they can reproduce what you said. I think I was told that the Tech 2 pulled my VIN and that is as far as they went. Now it makes sense why they couldn't get it to work. As far as the service manager told me is that there isn't a way to trick the Tech 2 into a different VIN. But obviously there is a way. Thanks and I will see how this works out

Don

big greg
04-20-13, 04:17 PM
Good luck Don.

danog
04-21-13, 12:19 AM
Don

For many 2008 and prior model year GM vehicles, the programming is performed using the Tech 2
and the activation is initiated by a Service Programming System (SPS) application at GM Global Connect..
Tell the tech when he logs into TIS to tell it he is programing a new nav radio that way it will let him put in a VIN in.
If he says reprogram it will uses the cars VIN. Ask them if they can read the radio rpo code.

I sent you the pin outs of the plug connectors for the navs. The DTS has 3 and the SRX has 4. The 2 first connectors
are the same but 3 and 4 are not. Plug 3 is for the rear DVD on the SRX and 4 some of the pins line up??.That may be your
problem. You would be better off returning it and get the one for the DTS.

Dadillac
04-22-13, 06:04 PM
Went to the dealer today to talk this thing over. I spoke to a tech and he said that I should bring the car tomorrow. He will call Cadillac and have them add the nav software to my VIN. So this way all of the modules will play nice together. I guess if that doesn't work out I will tell him to do a different VIN. If anyone has the procedure for this, or can point me to a site that does have it, I would appreciate it. I want to go there tomorrow armed with some ammo.

Don

RippyPartsDept
04-22-13, 09:34 PM
That sounds like the way to do it. If GM/Cadillac won't do it then you're pretty much out of luck. You'll probably play though.

Dadillac
04-23-13, 04:31 PM
Latest update. Went to the dealer today and the tech was confident he would get the unit programmed. Only 15 minutes in I get called to talk to him. Seems that there is no way that he can program the radio. Even though the radio has a part number of 25848914 on it the tech pulled part number 25761186 out of the unit. He stated that this is a foreign unit. That would explain the weird radio stations and no XM. So back it goes to the seller. Hoping a full refund is in my future. On a hunt for another nav unit. Got my eyes on a few from eBay. Hopefully one of these works out better.

Don

Dadillac
04-24-13, 05:52 PM
Found another Nav unit. This one is used and is part number 25815693 which is supposed to be an exact radio for my car. So I am hoping that all goes well with this one Here is the listing http://www.ebay.com/itm/390579100790?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649. Please let me know if there is anything on there that would sound not good. But I think it all sounds good

Don

Dadillac
04-30-13, 04:45 PM
Received the new (used) unit this afternoon. Hooked it up and all I see is Theftlock. How much of a problem for me is this?

Don

RippyPartsDept
04-30-13, 05:12 PM
Gotta take it to a dealer to fix the theft lock

they will need proof of purchase (usually) to make sure it wasn't stolen
best to just call around and they will tell you what you need

danog
04-30-13, 06:59 PM
Go to the dealer and have them unlock it with the tech2. (The vin of the radio doesn’t match the cars vin) They may or may not have to program it to get sound.

Dadillac
05-01-13, 08:42 PM
Going to the dealer for 1:00 tomorrow. Fingers crossed this will all be resolved tomorrow and have a working nav in the car

Don

Dadillac
05-02-13, 06:44 PM
SUCCESS. Went to the dealer this afternoon and the unit is working perfectly. I was there about an hour and one of the service reps called me and said that the tech needed to talk to me. First thing I thought was bad news. He took me to my car and showed me that all was working but it was throwing a code for a faulty VSS. So when I got it home I removed the dashpad and rewired the VSS wire. After that the nav is working as it should. Funny thing is that the tech did not have to fool the Tech II with a false VIN. All was done with my own VIN. So no problem there. The nav unit I bought had a disc in it. It was version 3.0. I had bought version 6.0c. The 3.0 had a digital clock, the 6.0c does not. So that is not acceptable to me. So now I am on the hunt for disc version 7.0 at an affordable price. I read that 7.0 has the clock option. But anyway I am pleased that this ordeal is over and I an happy that it came out how I wanted it to

Don

Cadillac Cust Svc
05-02-13, 08:21 PM
SUCCESS. Went to the dealer this afternoon and the unit is working perfectly. I was there about an hour and one of the service reps called me and said that the tech needed to talk to me. First thing I thought was bad news. He took me to my car and showed me that all was working but it was throwing a code for a faulty VSS. So when I got it home I removed the dashpad and rewired the VSS wire. After that the nav is working as it should. Funny thing is that the tech did not have to fool the Tech II with a false VIN. All was done with my own VIN. So no problem there. The nav unit I bought had a disc in it. It was version 3.0. I had bought version 6.0c. The 3.0 had a digital clock, the 6.0c does not. So that is not acceptable to me. So now I am on the hunt for disc version 7.0 at an affordable price. I read that 7.0 has the clock option. But anyway I am pleased that this ordeal is over and I an happy that it came out how I wanted it to

Don

Hi Don,

Glad to hear you are happy with the outcome of your navigation system. If you have other questions or concerns please let us know!

Sincerely,

Laura M.

phigment
05-02-13, 08:22 PM
Awesome. I'm glad you got it working.

Dadillac
05-11-13, 07:57 PM
Bought the 2012 version 7.0c disc and installed it today. I got my clock back. Yesterday went out to the car a popped a DVD in the unit. Watched a few minutes just to see how it played. I was very impressed with the sound but it was pretty difficult to navigate through the controls. So far I am very pleased with the install

Don