: Would you buy after seeing this?

Hoosier Daddy
04-12-13, 07:11 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b12sOQ2hOF4

I don't think Cadillac should have let the press know about that. It reminds me of a video years ago about some small African nation's space program where they had Astronaut trainees sleep in trees to get used to heights.

I couldn't find out if the Free Press published that on April 1st.

73JPS
04-12-13, 07:51 PM
Hoosier,

Every forum has one, and you're it! Nice job, mate. :)

Seriously, though: what possibly could have been the real-world intent of such a piece of tripe as that video?

Hoosier Daddy
04-12-13, 08:06 PM
Seriously, though: what possibly could have been the real-world intent of such a piece of tripe as that video?
What I wouldn't give for the answer to that question.

----------

Okay, I found the same video on Youtube and updated my 1st post to use that instead. That version was dated June 2012, so its NOT some April Fools joke.

I wonder if maybe Audi or BMW actually produced the video? LoL

73JPS
04-12-13, 09:02 PM
0:42- 0:54 : "This is very educational, because... it gives you a good idea... of what the workers go through on a day to day basis, and how much the companies have really improved in terms of quality."

Holy Crap: the stupidity of this statement boggles my mind.

And yet... this is very educational, because... it gives you a good idea... of what the public is subjected to on a day to day basis, and how much the media has really hit bottom in terms of quality.

rustybear3
04-12-13, 09:56 PM
Obviously, none of you have ever worked or know the workings of an auto plant. I know, because I've shot plenty of news stories in our Chevy and Ford plants here in Ohio. The video shows one of many training exercises for new vehicles, in terms of speed of the assembly line, shapes and sizes of a particular assembled parts, similar to the "real" parts on the main line....if you noticed the reporter was taking parts OFF and not putting parts on, and he was having difficulty in keeping up just taking them off. Did you notice the others on the assembly line laughing at his attempts? Do you really think an Auto maker just throws workers on a brand new model on an assembly line and says: just go to it put it together as best you can? Who do you think came up with these trials runs? GM. And the quality of the ATS shows. Just try your hand at an assembly plant: it's tedious work at times, fast and non-forgiving: and as the reporter stated, you can't afford to screw up in that the "line waits for no one...." (my quote)

By the way, joke if you want about Obamacare....if Romney had his way, you wouldn't be buying or driving a Cadillac right now...

CTSCHICK
04-12-13, 10:04 PM
By the way, joke if you want about Obamacare....if Romney had his way, you wouldn't be buying or driving a Cadillac right now...

Oh yeh how so??

rustybear3
04-12-13, 10:11 PM
Oh yeh how so??

Does "Let Detroit Go Bankrupt," ring a bell along with "I'm not familiar precisely with what I said, but I'll stand by what I said, whatever it was."

CTSCHICK
04-12-13, 10:26 PM
Does "Let Detroit Go Bankrupt," ring a bell along with "I'm not familiar precisely with what I said, but I'll stand by what I said, whatever it was."

Sounds like you have been spoon fed by MSNBC & CNBS

Here is your " Let Detroit Go Bankrupt" Title of the Nov 18th 2008 N.Y. Times Op Ed Article

Romney quote from the article.

The American auto industry is vital to our national interest as an employer and as a hub for manufacturing. A managed bankruptcy may be the only path to the fundamental restructuring the industry needs. It would permit the companies to shed excess labor, pension and real estate costs. The federal government should provide guarantees for post-bankruptcy financing and assure car buyers that their warranties are not at risk.

In a managed bankruptcy, the federal government would propel newly competitive and viable automakers, rather than seal their fate with a bailout check.

Direct source.
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/19/opinion/19romney.html?_r=0

So what exactly did he state in that article that was any different than what the Bush started and Obama finished Auto Bail Out Not Do??

rustybear3
04-12-13, 11:46 PM

Here is your " Let Detroit Go Bankrupt" Title of the Nov 18th 2008 N.Y. Times Op Ed Article

The American auto industry is vital to our national interest as an employer and as a hub for manufacturing. A managed bankruptcy may be the only path to the fundamental restructuring the industry needs. It would permit the companies to shed excess labor, pension and real estate costs. The federal government should provide guarantees for post-bankruptcy financing and assure car buyers that their warranties are not at risk.

In a managed bankruptcy, the federal government would propel newly competitive and viable automakers, rather than seal their fate with a bailout check.

Direct source.

So what exactly did he state in that article that was any different than what the Bush started and Obama finished Auto Bail Out Not Do??

And you have obviously been tutored by Rush Limpball & Fox news to leave things out.
Conspicuous omission alert: You left out the most important part of Op ed article

“IF General Motors, Ford and Chrysler get the bailout that their chief executives asked for yesterday, you can kiss the American automotive industry goodbye. It won’t go overnight, but its demise will be virtually guaranteed.” That’s right, when it came to the U.S. auto industry, Romney did not guaranteed victory, he guaranteed defeat if they got the bailout.
In that 2008 piece, Governor Romney said the money to keep GM and Chrysler alive during bankruptcy should come from the private sector, possibly with the government providing only "guarantees for post-bankruptcy financing." You know what a "guarantee" is? That the government would make good on a loan should the automakers default. But the problem was, no one was loaning! There was no bank willing to help the automakers other than the U.S. government. No private sector entity was lending during the crash. Not one!!

You can't guarantee a loan that doesn't happen. Without financing, the auto companies, their suppliers, and everyone reliant upon that entire industry would have been shut down. GM would be no more; Cadillac along with it. The Obama administration gave GM about $50B before and during bankruptcy in critical debtor-in-possession financing. Without it, GM would have died. This financing is exactly what he (Romney) guaranteed in 2008 would cause the failure of Detroit. As we know now, he was wrong. That's what was different.

mikesul
04-12-13, 11:47 PM

Direct source.

Isn't it great how a statement like this can be picked apart and reassembled to make the unions vote for the opponent.

CTSCHICK
04-12-13, 11:57 PM
And you have obviously been tutored by Rush Limpball & Fox news to leave things out..

Dream on I am a registered Independent both sides are nothing but dog crap on a different shoe.
All you are doing is twisting and purposely misinterpreting the article to meet your political agenda

----------

Isn't it great how a statement like this can be picked apart and reassembled to make the unions vote for the opponent.

Yep and the sad part is it worked but the full unedited article that some keep misinterpreting to spread misinformation is there for people to read and decide for them selves.

rustybear3
04-13-13, 12:32 AM
Dream on I am a registered Independent both sides are nothing but dog crap on a different shoe.

----------

I didn't say word one about your political affiliation pal; made the same assumption you did on your watching habits as you did on me.

..and isn't it great how a statement can be selectively quoted like this to make it seem something which it isn't ....and the one who selectively quoted has the guts talk about misinterpreting....and nobody "makes" unions vote an opponent as well as management to vote an opponent....

CTSCHICK
04-13-13, 12:53 AM
----------

I didn't say word one about your political affiliation pal; made the same assumption you did on your watching habits as you did on me.

Except my Assumptions of you was right.

Minus all of your B.S. Misinformation interpretations my unedited link of your "Let Detroit Go Bankrupt" is there for all to read to make up their own minds

Like my post with the link to show pal rustybear he is full of crap. :)

rustybear3
04-13-13, 01:57 AM
Except my Assumptions of you was right.

Minus all of your B.S. Misinformation interpretations my unedited link of your "Let Detroit Go Bankrupt" is there for all to read to make up their own minds

Like my post with the link to show pal rustybear he is full of crap. :)

Your are a pathetic wannabe phoney who asked a question, didn't like the answer and ranted with a pathetic, edited quote and got called out for it, and now begs for fellow sycophants to
commiserate in your circle jerk......I fell for your trolling...but no more...my final word....whatever :histeric:

CTSCHICK
04-13-13, 02:08 AM
Your are a pathetic right wing phoney who asked a question, didn't like the answer and ranted with a pathetic, edited quote and begs for fellow sycophants to
commiserate in your circle jerk......I fell for your trolling...but no more...my final word....whatever :histeric:

What ever you say :)

JSATS
04-13-13, 10:12 AM
I don't like to talk politics but I will say this...Rush Limbaugh is an absolute retard. Now back to the original post, I think that car the guy was working on was mine!

JoshuaDav
04-13-13, 06:03 PM
This thread sucks.

73JPS
04-13-13, 08:38 PM
Well, it could have been fun if some people didn't insist on making political arguments out of everything.

M5eater
04-14-13, 09:15 AM
The video seemed to be poor or non-sense reporting rather than an eye-opening experience.

The fact that they use wooden platforms isn't surprising. Nor is the fact that they have a bunch of new employees, I rather doubt that they're totally green for one, and two, a new workforce isn't headline news, as soon as we found out about the ATS we knew a bunch of new jobs and a huge expansion to the Lansing facility was coming seeing as it's going to underpin the camaro *and* CTS.

What else would they use anyway? Actual cars?

Stamped steel?

Wood is cheap, and it doesn't slice open arms when you bump into it while training,nor does it weigh a billion pounds.

it's the logical choice.

The best part was the other workers waiting for slow-poke to do his video lol..

gfxbt
04-14-13, 02:27 PM
Getting away from the politics . . .

Yea, the video is kind of weird. I don't think it deserves as much criticism as it is getting. I worked on the line for a couple summers during college. And as previously stated, it is extremely tedious work, and if people don't know what they're doing, it derails (figuratively) the entire process. Again, for someone who grew up using tools and building things, the idea of getting people used to using a drill to shoot nuts seems a little absurd. But imagine you had never held a cordless drill in your life. It would be something to get used to.

I'm I'm no way trying to say that anyone saying the video is kind of dumb is wrong, I guess the way I see it is that any type hands-on training can't hurt. It may not be extremely beneficial, but it is by no mean detrimental.

Just my two cents . . .

Fraggy
04-14-13, 02:38 PM
This video is very old.

CTSCHICK
04-15-13, 01:50 AM
Here is a better detailed article on the wooden cars and what GM does with them.
A lot more detail oriented than just giving some one practice bolting together stuff.

http://www.arlingtonvoice.com/node/1142