: My Cadillac service rep is INSANE

CTS-Vluvr
04-12-13, 04:59 PM
I called my Martin Cadillac service rep to get a quote on replacing the front and rear brake pads on my 2011 CTS-V and he quoted me $1,600! I did some searching and spoke with a rep at tirerack.com and he recommended these http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/brakes.jsp?make=Hawk&model=HPS+Street+brake+pads&group=HPS+Street+brake+pads&partNum=HB649F605&autoMake=Cadillac&autoModel=CTS-V&autoYear=2011&autoModClar=Sedan . Is my Cadillac rep insane or does he just think I'm stupid? 106682

RaVeNous
04-12-13, 05:33 PM
Pretty much pad installed by any shop is a ripoff.

They look in a book and charge you the hours the book says even if it takes half the time. They do that with everything - most shops do. I wish I could do that for my job.

Brake pads are pretty easy, and I'm by no means a mechanic AT ALL. I know a couple guys that help me with tools and such. Rotors are a pain to get off sometimes, but if youre talking just changing out the pads, hell ya buy the parts yourself, don't pay their nutso markup on parts. Find a shop, a good mom and pop place if you don't have time to install them yourself or the tools. Ask around there are some really good mom and pop gas station type places that for work like this can be plenty safe. $1600 bucks, freaking screw them, I would laugh in my dealers face if they wanted that.

CTS-Vluvr
04-12-13, 05:55 PM
Pretty much pad installed by any shop is a ripoff.

They look in a book and charge you the hours the book says even if it takes half the time. They do that with everything - most shops do. I wish I could do that for my job.

Brake pads are pretty easy, and I'm by no means a mechanic AT ALL. I know a couple guys that help me with tools and such. Rotors are a pain to get off sometimes, but if youre talking just changing out the pads, hell ya buy the parts yourself, don't pay their nutso markup on parts. Find a shop, a good mom and pop place if you don't have time to install them yourself or the tools. Ask around there are some really good mom and pop gas station type places that for work like this can be plenty safe. $1600 bucks, freaking screw them, I would laugh in my dealers face if they wanted that.

Ha, yeah, I did laugh in his face. I found the pads listed above for $213 shipped from Amazon! I just reinspected the four wheels and I have more pad left than I previously thought. I think they should make it through the remainder of my lease. I had planned to do just what you recommended though...

RobF300
04-12-13, 06:13 PM
dont ask them to wax the car

CTS-Vluvr
04-12-13, 06:15 PM
dont ask them to wax the car

Funny you say that, they owe me a complete detail for free for pissing me off on a previous service visit...

Trapspeed
04-12-13, 09:14 PM
My dealer popped my new fronts in when the new rotors went on and they did a pad swap on the rears for $100.00 while they had it. Look elsewhere.

THE////V
04-13-13, 02:06 AM
My dealer popped my new fronts in when the new rotors went on and they did a pad swap on the rears for $100.00 while they had it. Look elsewhere.

F&!'-/| them !

thebigjimsho
04-13-13, 02:24 AM
This schmuck can change his pads at the track with a screwdriver, a punch and a 13mm wrench in 20 minutes...

ptrd
04-13-13, 12:22 PM
Yeah with bbks, pads just slide out of the top of the caliper.

Unless you need your rotors replaced, should be a quick thing.

1madstsv
04-13-13, 01:00 PM
This schmuck can change his pads at the track with a screwdriver, a punch and a 13mm wrench in 20 minutes...
Yep it takes longer to get the wheels off than change pads they are quick change pads on the v,s

sybersport
04-13-13, 01:13 PM
I know it's been said before, but not all dealers are like this particular one...

My service dept was amazing to me - they installed my B&B exhaust for almost nothing, and when I was getting a squeaking noise out of the passenger side pipe, they sent me down the street to a muffler shop where they took off the pipe, cut a small section out, re-welded and re-installed it - for free. I asked why free, and the muffler guy said "Steve from Cadillac is a great guy."

Anywhoo... don't give up on your Caddy dealers. Just shop around a little.

RaVeNous
04-13-13, 03:36 PM
I know it's been said before, but not all dealers are like this particular one...

My service dept was amazing to me - they installed my B&B exhaust for almost nothing, and when I was getting a squeaking noise out of the passenger side pipe, they sent me down the street to a muffler shop where they took off the pipe, cut a small section out, re-welded and re-installed it - for free. I asked why free, and the muffler guy said "Steve from Cadillac is a great guy."

Anywhoo... don't give up on your Caddy dealers. Just shop around a little.

Your experience is a rarity that shopping around will not find.