: Rubbing and chatter from rear end question...

AmyinFL
04-12-13, 02:04 PM
I have read the previous threads on this rather common issue. So we are going to drain the fluid and put in the LS fluid from the dealer as recommended. However, my husband wants to add the LS lube additive as well (4oz bottle). What's your thoughts experience with this? Thanks in advance! :)

glake89
04-12-13, 04:00 PM
If you have a limited slip differential, the additive is a must. If you don't have LS, you've got a different problem.

AmyinFL
04-12-13, 04:11 PM
@ glake89-How do I know if I have LS? Thanks!

glake89
04-12-13, 06:03 PM
Look for RPO G80. The option list is on a label either on the under side of the jack compartment lid or one of the rear cubbies.

AmyinFL
04-12-13, 06:23 PM
Thank you! Looks like all 07' V6 Caddy SRX RWD are equipped with LS Diff. I sure am hopping this oil change an additive do the trick! I know it can take a little time once changed...I will report back. :)

Look for RPO G80. The option list is on a label either on the under side of the jack compartment lid or one of the rear cubbies.

glake89
04-12-13, 07:06 PM
Change should be almost immediate.

AmyinFL
04-13-13, 11:57 AM
Ok, just waiting on the additive to arrive, and then we will change it out :) Thanks again!

Change should be almost immediate.

08SRX
04-13-13, 03:57 PM
The limited slip differential is not a standard feature on all SRX's. LSD was standard on all V8 vehicles (AWD or RWD) and optional on all V6 vehicles. In addition, if you have the Sport Package, you will also have LSD.

AmyinFL
04-13-13, 05:18 PM
Thank you.. 08SRX.... I am going to check it out. I looked up the VIN and it says it does have LS...but I want to be sure..

n7don_srx
04-13-13, 05:20 PM
Check out post #4. http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-srx-first-generation-forum-2004/281872-differentials.html
According to the shop manual a full 4 oz isn't needed depending on how the lub is drained. Probably won't hurt anything using the full 4 oz but GM apparently thinks it isn't needed.

AmyinFL
04-14-13, 07:55 AM
Still can't find the RPO sticker....

n7don_srx
04-14-13, 09:04 AM
Still can't find the RPO sticker....
On my 07 it's in that rear compartment that holds your jack. If you aren't familiar with what they look like I found several typical examples by searching "Cadillac rpo list" in google or bing Images. You'll see several with G80 in the list

AmyinFL
04-14-13, 10:34 AM
On my 07 it's in that rear compartment that holds your jack. If you aren't familiar with what they look like I found several typical examples by searching "Cadillac rpo list" in google or bing Images. You'll see several with G80 in the list
Just went and looked again and found it on the lid of the jack compartment. ;) Didn't look there last time! Thanks! And I DO have a LS. Sure hoping the oil change and additive fix this problem. @ n7don_srx- Have you had this issue with your srx?

n7don_srx
04-14-13, 01:43 PM
No problems here. There was recall a couple years ago to replace the pinion shaft seal with an update version. Was this done on your vehicle? Your dealer should be able to determine if so. Maybe the lub was drained and no friction modifier added. There were line items on the repair order on my 07 showing new lub and the friction modifier had been replaced as part of the recall and seal replacement.
Your original posting mentions rumbling/chattering...... generally if this happens while turning the friction modifier should fix it. If present while driving in a straight line you may have other issues.

AmyinFL
04-14-13, 02:16 PM
Thankfully it is only while turning, and seems to only do it when it's cold (not outside temp but meaning when car is first driven) I did call the dealer that this vehicle was serviced at and all recalls have been taken care of. Additionally, I requested the records and it shows where a diff. bushing was replaced last year...it does not say anything about the friction modifier additive-so hoping it will do the trick! I just bought this car from an old man last week, and of course on the test drive we didn't hear it! LOL! She is a beauty though..black on black and completely loaded only 58k miles ;)

No problems here. There was recall a couple years ago to replace the pinion shaft seal with an update version. Was this done on your vehicle? Your dealer should be able to determine if so. Maybe the lub was drained and no friction modifier added. There were line items on the repair order on my 07 showing new lub and the friction modifier had been replaced as part of the recall and seal replacement.
Your original posting mentions rumbling/chattering...... generally if this happens while turning the friction modifier should fix it. If present while driving in a straight line you may have other issues.

AmyinFL
04-16-13, 09:41 PM
So very happy to post that since the oil change + additive we have a QUITE rear differential! Yay! So very excited! Thanks to all of you for your input advice. :)

Ok, just waiting on the additive to arrive, and then we will change it out :) Thanks again!

nstar
04-19-13, 03:43 PM
Thankfully it is only while turning, and seems to only do it when it's cold (not outside temp but meaning when car is first driven) I did call the dealer that this vehicle was serviced at and all recalls have been taken care of. Additionally, I requested the records and it shows where a diff. bushing was replaced last year...it does not say anything about the friction modifier additive-so hoping it will do the trick! I just bought this car from an old man last week, and of course on the test drive we didn't hear it! LOL! She is a beauty though..black on black and completely loaded only 58k miles ;)

Seem like GM dealer doing seal repair would have to pay for this diff change of fluid and additive and stand by any ongoing problems with vehicle.