: Might Buy 2008 DTS - reliability questions

Big Whitey
04-12-13, 11:16 AM
Hey everyone,

Haven't been on here in a while as I traded my 03 DTS for a 300C last year. Anyway I'm missing my Cadillac as the Chrysler just is not nearly as nice. I work at a dealer and someone is trading in an 08 DTS with around 100,000 KILOMETERS on it.

Wondering if anyone can shed some light on what common issues are with this car, I know I had a nightmare with suspension on the last one, and dont want to get into that again.

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks!

grullon10
04-12-13, 12:15 PM
Go for it I have a 06 with regular supension and it is great the only thing that a friend of mine had with his 08 was the fuel pump relay and fuse keep burning out because a short in the fuse box. I think 100,000 k is = to 60,000 miles if you get at a good price go for it your are going to love it.

ral1960
04-13-13, 11:07 PM
You do understand the 03 DTS corresponds to the 06-09 DTS Performance model and 10-12 Platinum model only?

The more common 06+ DTS base and luxury models do not have the magnetic ride control, lower gearing, 18" wheels, or high performance engine, so the driving experience is quite different--and mpg, or whatever you silly metric people measure, is somewhat better. Maintenance should be lower, too--cheaper tires and shocks.

Few people appear to be having the power window failures that plagued the 00-05 DeVille, but the sensitivity to tire imbalance is still there. Head gaskets should not be an issue, either. I'm hoping there will be fewer sensor failures.

Curiously, both my 04 DeVille and 08 DTS came to me with broken ashtray covers on the rear driver's side door--but broken in different ways.

5.0 lsc
04-15-13, 10:01 PM
My valve covers started leaking badly at around 55k....about $755 at the dealer.....

big greg
04-15-13, 10:06 PM
Wow 800 bucks for valve covers I'm glad I'm a mechanic. 55$ in gaskets is all it cost me

Eninety2
04-24-13, 02:29 AM
You do understand the 03 DTS corresponds to the 06-09 DTS Performance model and 10-12 Platinum model only?

The more common 06+ DTS base and luxury models do not have the magnetic ride control, lower gearing, 18" wheels, or high performance engine, so the driving experience is quite different--and mpg, or whatever you silly metric people measure, is somewhat better. Maintenance should be lower, too--cheaper tires and shocks.

Few people appear to be having the power window failures that plagued the 00-05 DeVille, but the sensitivity to tire imbalance is still there. Head gaskets should not be an issue, either. I'm hoping there will be fewer sensor failures.

Curiously, both my 04 DeVille and 08 DTS came to me with broken ashtray covers on the rear driver's side door--but broken in different ways.

Sounds as if the Performance model is not worth the extra $$ for what you get. Just curious.

Dadillac
04-24-13, 05:49 PM
Sounds as if the Performance model is not worth the extra $$ for what you get. Just curious.

I would disagree. The ride alone is worth it. The extra HP can be felt. And I think the interior is much more pleasing than the Luxury models. And the Performance wheels IMO are the best looking ones available. You would have to drive one and make your own opinion. Plus the Performance models aren't selling for too much more than the Luxuries are

Don

ral1960
04-24-13, 06:21 PM
Sounds as if the Performance model is not worth the extra $$ for what you get. Just curious.It depends on how you like to drive. I was fine with a base DeVille for 6 years, but the Performance is significantly sportier and more responsive. The base car is geared more for economy, so it feels very lazy unless you step into it. I do miss the larger center armrest and extra storage that my column shift car had, and I liked having the cupholders over the carpet instead of the seats. (performance & Platinum are console shift only)

I wanted a Platinum mostly because of the lighter wood trim and ultraseude headliner. I prefer the simpler wheels the Performance-only cars have.

Eninety2
04-25-13, 01:04 AM
I would disagree. The ride alone is worth it. The extra HP can be felt. And I think the interior is much more pleasing than the Luxury models. And the Performance wheels IMO are the best looking ones available. You would have to drive one and make your own opinion. Plus the Performance models aren't selling for too much more than the Luxuries are

Don

I'm coming from a base '99 Deville. I've bouncing the idea in my head of upgrading. Been debating between the two. The shocks on the performance model are a bit of a turn off for me considering the replacement cost. That, and mainly the lack of a column shift. Finding a Level III optioned in a color combo I like is proving difficult.

It depends on how you like to drive. I was fine with a base DeVille for 6 years, but the Performance is significantly sportier and more responsive. The base car is geared more for economy, so it feels very lazy unless you step into it. I do miss the larger center armrest and extra storage that my column shift car had, and I liked having the cupholders over the carpet instead of the seats. (performance & Platinum are console shift only)

I wanted a Platinum mostly because of the lighter wood trim and ultraseude headliner. I prefer the simpler wheels the Performance-only cars have.

Was it hard to overcome? I've grown quite accustomed to a bench seat.

ral1960
04-26-13, 11:02 PM
I've only had the car since April 4. Changing gears is easy enough (I had console shift from 1988-2007 and a manual stick before that), but I used to lean to the right a lot in my DeVille, so it doesn't feel as stable with just a little armrest under my elbow. The storage slot on the door was deeper and wider--I don't keep my wallet there like I used to because it's too visible from outside. The seat cushion is also different--I've put a small towel on it to reduce the sensation of squeezing under my thighs. If I can figure out how, one day I'll peel back the leather and slice off some of the foam rubber to flatten the cushion. The column shift seems to be rarer on DTSs than DeVilles.

The 06-07 have different wood or fake wood from the later years, not as dark, and they offered cashmere leather instead of shale. I almost bought a 2010 Premium (equivalent to Level III), but it was all black and very dark wood inside. It would have been several thousand $ cheaper than the 08 Perf Plat I bought, but it had higher mileage and ugly wheels. I have the light linen interior, which may force me to clean it more often than I did the dark gray DeVille.

jmmcev
04-27-13, 09:44 AM
I have a 2008 DTS and I love the ride and features. I just went over 100K miles and had the big maintenance done. I do have oil seepage and they wanted $2200 to fix it. I've been reading online that this does happen wit the DTS. I won't get it fixed unless it becomes a full blown hemorrahage and will actively monitor oil levels.

Tom's Caddy
04-28-13, 07:18 PM
Big Maintenance Done? Do tell jmmcev.

ral1960
04-29-13, 12:16 AM
I imagine he's referring to new spark plugs, PCV valve, trans fluid, and coolant.