: lost my only keyless fob

kj217
04-12-13, 06:24 AM
i just lost my only keyless fob to my 09 CTS-V,,
car is garaged,, shifter in park,, and ignition switch in off position,,
i have a mechanical key,,

if i got a replacement from ebay,, how can i program it?

neuronbob
04-12-13, 07:05 AM
How do you have a mechanical key without the fob? The key is usually inside the fob. In this case, it's good you separated them as at least you have access to the car even if you can't start it.

Dealer is best bet to program your fob when it arrives.

kj217
04-12-13, 07:09 AM
How do you have a mechanical key without the fob? The key is usually inside the fob. In this case, it's good you separated them as at least you have access to the car even if you can't start it.

Dealer is best bet to program your fob when it arrives.

i kept the mechanical key back at home,,
will i have to tow the car to dealer,,car is in park and steering column locked,,

neuronbob
04-12-13, 07:14 AM
Problem is that to do it yourself, you need two keys, one already programmed and the new one. There are instructions in the owners manual as well, but that is for a previously learned key IIRC.

kj217
04-12-13, 07:18 AM
Problem is that to do it yourself, you need two keys, one already programmed and the new one. There are instructions in the owners manual as well, but that is for a previously learned key IIRC.

will the dealer be able to program fob without the presence of the car?

neuronbob
04-12-13, 11:01 AM
Answer is in the owner's manual, which I didn't have handy this morning. Assuming you are in the US, you need only one key fob.

And lo, spake the Cadillac CTS owner's manual:

Programming without a Recognized Transmitter

United States owners are permitted
to program a new transmitter to their vehicle when a recognized transmitter is not available. The Canadian immobilizer standard
requires that Canadian owners see their dealer for programming new transmitters when two recognized
transmitters are not available.
The procedure requires three 10-minute cycles to complete the process.

1. Make sure the vehicle is off.
2. Place the new transmitter into the transmitter pocket with the buttons facing the front of the vehicle. The transmitter pocket is inside the center console storage area between the driver and front passenger seats.
3. Insert the vehicle key into the key lock cylinder on the driver door.
4. Turn the key to the unlock position five times within five seconds.
5. The DIC displays PRESS START CONTROL TO LEARN KEYS.
6. Press the ignition switch in.
7. The DIC reads LEARN DELAY ACTIVE WAIT XX MIN and counts down to zero.
8. The DIC displays PRESS START CONTROL TO LEARN KEYS again.
9. Press the ignition switch in again.
10. Repeat Steps 7, 8, and 9.
11. The DIC reads LEARN DELAY ACTIVE WAIT XX MIN and counts down to zero.
12. A beep sounds and the DIC reads READY TO LEARN ELECTRONIC KEY # X. All previously known transmitter programming has been erased.
13. A beep sounds once programming is complete. The DIC displays READY TO LEARN ELECTRONIC
KEY # 2.
To program additional transmitters, insert each transmitter in the pocket until a beep is heard and the DIC advances to the next electronic key number. Up to four transmitters can be programmed. The DIC displays MAXIMUM # ELECTRONIC KEYS LEARNED and exits the programming mode.
14. Press the ignition control knob if programming is complete.
15. Press (unlock) on each newly programmed transmitter to complete the process.

Should be similar for your 2009. Edit: I just looked at my old 2009 owner's manual and the process is the same. No dealer needed. You just need a new fob.

kj217
04-12-13, 11:19 AM
Answer is in the owner's manual, which I didn't have handy this morning. Assuming you are in the US, you need only one key fob.

Should be similar for your 2009. Edit: I just looked at my old 2009 owner's manual and the process is the same. No dealer needed. You just need a new fob.

thanks a lot,, my car was originally sold in saudi arabia,, neither US or Canada,,

Jinx
04-12-13, 12:16 PM
Does "press the ignition switch in" mean turn it to a particular position, or does it literally depress toward the steering column?

kj217
04-12-13, 12:19 PM
Does "press the ignition switch in" mean turn it to a particular position, or does it literally depress toward the steering column?

toward the column,,

Mongopush
04-15-13, 06:54 PM
BTW, here is a link for the manual, just bookmark it.You can click in the menu and will take you right to the pages needed. Saved me a lot of trips to the glovebox .. http://www.cadillac.com/content/dam/Cadillac/Global/master/nscwebsite/en/home/Owners/Manuals_and_Videos/01_images/2010_cadillac_cts_ctsv_owners_manual.pdf

kj217
04-25-13, 09:19 AM

ordered used fob off ebay,, waited 15 days to have delivered,, then i followed the instuctions carefully,, repeated the whole thing 4 times,, wasted more than 2 hours and i couldn't have it done,,
after the deadly 3 10min cycles it shoews ready to learn key #1 and it stucks there for few minutes before abortion,,
tested the fob and battery,, all good,,

please,, help,,

kwilson
04-25-13, 11:47 AM
It's a used key off eBay.....you sure it's still works like it should???

kj217
04-25-13, 12:35 PM
It's a used key off eBay.....you sure it's still works like it should???

used off ebay,, i guess i got the wrong key as this doesn't have the hidden key blade,,

kwilson
04-25-13, 06:50 PM
Man....your driving a V. Go buy a new key fob from the dealer!!!!

neuronbob
04-26-13, 06:58 AM
Yup, it's dealer time. That'll be the fastest way.

kj217
04-26-13, 07:11 AM
Man....your driving a V. Go buy a new key fob from the dealer!!!!

dealer has none in stock,, they needed to order it from US too,,

i just found a local locksmith who happened to have them,, i bought the one with sliding blade and it worked,,

neuronbob
04-26-13, 01:25 PM
Lucky break! Glad you got the right one this time.

Rockey
01-12-14, 05:22 PM
dealer has none in stock,, they needed to order it from US too,,

i just found a local locksmith who happened to have them,, i bought the one with sliding blade and it worked,,

So that was it? You bought a new FOB and then followed the reprogramming instructions and it worked?

kj217
01-13-14, 12:59 AM
So that was it? You bought a new FOB and then followed the reprogramming instructions and it worked?

yes sir,,

Zhariak
01-13-14, 09:54 AM
In the event the FOB battery dies. I could be wrong, but I was told that when you open the center console, and place the "dead" FOB inside of the slot, it uses induction or something to provide power to the FOB so that you can:

-Drive the car
-Purchase a new FOB and configure it for the car

I was told that there's no worries if the battery ever dies, because the slot in the center console would make it function. The only thing you'd have to worry about is getting in to the car, which access is provided via the mechanical key.

Trapspeed
01-13-14, 02:20 PM
In the event the FOB battery dies. I could be wrong, but I was told that when you open the center console, and place the "dead" FOB inside of the slot, it uses induction or something to provide power to the FOB so that you can: -Drive the car -Purchase a new FOB and configure it for the car I was told that there's no worries if the battery ever dies, because the slot in the center console would make it function. The only thing you'd have to worry about is getting in to the car, which access is provided via the mechanical key.

You are correct.

Zhariak
01-13-14, 05:22 PM
In the event the FOB battery dies. I could be wrong, but I was told that when you open the center console, and place the "dead" FOB inside of the slot, it uses induction or something to provide power to the FOB so that you can:

-Drive the car
-Purchase a new FOB and configure it for the car

I was told that there's no worries if the battery ever dies, because the slot in the center console would make it function. The only thing you'd have to worry about is getting in to the car, which access is provided via the mechanical key.

Wow, I'm an idiot. Sorry about my post above. I was waking up when I read the OP and responded. I thought it said his battery died, I see it was actually "Fob lost".

My bad :)

akh
01-13-14, 08:27 PM
How do you get into a coupe when the fob battery dies?

dmax/04v
01-13-14, 09:25 PM
I've been wondering this as I have a loaner coupe at the moment and I am very curious...

Trapspeed
01-13-14, 10:13 PM
There's a metal key imbedded in the fob body. A slight press of the black button where the silver meets the black and a slight pull apart will separate them. I believe that key will open a lock near the license plate and there should be handles to pop the doors. Correct, coupe owners?