: Service airbag warning light

J.Chorba23
04-12-13, 12:46 AM
I have a 2006 STS and the service airbag light came on. What does that mean? Should I take it to the dealership?

carter's_sts
04-12-13, 02:02 AM
Yes you should take it in. The Air Bag system does a self test and It's found something wrong. Most likely the Air Bags (or at least one of them) will not work if you need it.

carter527
04-12-13, 12:25 PM
This can be a common problem, most of us just jiggled the wiring harness under both front seats and the light went away. I would try that first, if it doesnt work then take it in for service.

RippyPartsDept
04-12-13, 12:59 PM
common problems are the side airbag harnesses that are in the seats ... only about $30 for the part (not sure about the labor, but shouldn't be much)

the dealer will scan the system to see what the trouble code is and then determine the repair needed

oldcaddybuyer
04-12-13, 01:41 PM
:yeah:

RippyPartsDept
04-12-13, 01:51 PM
what are you doing on the forums?
shouldn't you be at the Masters?

curtc
04-12-13, 02:24 PM
This can be a common problem, most of us just jiggled the wiring harness under both front seats and the light went away. I would try that first, if it doesnt work then take it in for service.

I can attest to that....My air bag light came on one day a couple of months ago, had the GF jiggle the harness under the passenger seat and it went away immediately and hasn't come back since. I plan on taking a closer look under there once spring decides to show up....

oldcaddybuyer
04-12-13, 02:57 PM
what are you doing on the forums?
shouldn't you be at the Masters?

It was raining so I came to work haha

RippyPartsDept
04-12-13, 04:02 PM
good excuse :cool2:

STS Serge 172
04-12-13, 05:47 PM
Just to throw it in the mix--my air bag light would come on and off from time to time without being in a consistant pattern. However, I was also having the hood ajar msg along with service theft system. Had GM dealership look it up and they got some feedback stating that the "hood latch" was causing the issue.

They quoted me 170ish for the part and another 100ish for the labor--I denied of course.

GM-Parts Direct had the hood latch for just shy of 100 bucks shipped and I replaced it within a half hour. Air bag light or any of the other lights have yet to come back on.