: Grinding/Groaning in Front End

bornonthebayou
04-11-13, 08:10 PM
I've been hearing this noise for a weeks now, particularly as I come to a stop on downslopes. I thought it was my brakes at first, but I've determined that that is not the problem, and this noise occurs even when the brakes are not depressed.

Someone (non-mechanic) told me it could have something to do with my bushings, and I ought to just get under their and PB-Blast/WD-40 it all. That seems just too simple to be correct. I know I am also in need of shocks, but that wouldn't be connected to such a noise would it? It is a deep groaning.

mjs182004
04-11-13, 08:22 PM
Sounds like your front wheel bearings are bad. Wheel bearings are a cheap and easy fix, if you like doing that kind of stuff.

turbojimmy
04-12-13, 12:58 PM
Does it do it with suspension travel, or with the rotation of the wheel? If it's the latter, it's probably a wheel bearing. Fix it before the wheel falls off. If it does it with the suspension travel, it could be control arm bushings or shocks.

j2rossit
04-12-13, 08:42 PM
I like the describe a wheel bearing going bad as the sound of a single propeller plane.

I sounds like front wheel bearing to me too. I'd go into an empty parking lot and start doing big sweeping zig zags while breaking hard. if the noise gets louder when turning left, it's your right wheel bearing, if it gets louder when turning right, then it's the left bearing going bad.