: 87 Brougham throttle linkage bracket broken

Jcaddy091
04-11-13, 08:55 PM
Hey everyone,
I apologize if this has been answered before, I tried searching but couldn't really find anything.

I was cleaning the carb in my Brougham, but when I pulled on the rod for the throttle linkage to rev the engine a bit the bracket that holds it up and in place snapped off. To me, it looked like it was machined on and I'm Leary about just bolting it back on as I'm not 100% sure what the part is that its mounted to (it seems really soft). I noticed that one of the two bolts were already off, are these common to break? It didn't really take any pressure at all to snap. I'm not sure if if its possible to just remount the existing bracket back back on or if I'd have to replace the entire piece that its mounted to. I'm hoping someone can provide some input.
Thanks!

jayoldschool
04-11-13, 09:40 PM
Take us a pic.

outsider
04-12-13, 09:55 AM
Take a picture as Jay said. I have a spare parts carb in the garage that is nearly complete so I may have the part you need or be able to get you pictures/explanation of how it should be set up :)

Jcaddy091
04-12-13, 12:41 PM
Not the greatest picture.. having an issue uploading. Its mounted right next to the carb at the end of the throttle linkage rod.

Jcaddy091
04-12-13, 12:59 PM
Whoops.. pics didnt upload.

outsider
04-12-13, 01:47 PM
i believe that is for your cruise control. Think it's called the servo unit. It's vacuum operated, I believe when it is turned on, vacuum is applied and used to hold your throttle at the position you had it in. You may need to replace it since on mine it appeared that arm was riveted on so not sure if it will leak air or not? my guess is if it popped off so easy it was either ready to go or the rod wasn't set properly.

Jcaddy091
04-12-13, 03:01 PM
That makes perfect sense. So I guess then it not being mounted won't really affect anything outside of the cruise not working? Has anyone replaced that unit before? It seems like it should be easy enough to replace if I can find one.

outsider
04-12-13, 03:07 PM
replacing it looks super easy (though I never replaced mine)
It's just a few bolts, a couple cotter pins for the linkage, and a plug for the wires.

If you leave it unhooked you should be OK, although I would remove the arm from the linkage just so it isn't danging around in there.

----------

also, the servos are availble on ebay, though i don't see them on rockauto or napa.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0&_nkw=1987+cadillac+brougham+cruise+control+servo&_sacat=0&_from=R40

Jcaddy091
04-21-13, 01:11 PM
Has anybody replaced one of these before, are they universal? I've found a few on ebay but they are off of newer Brougham's (90-92), they look similar but I noticed the bracket is a little different, and the servo itself dosent look as big. Im not sure if the wiring setup is different or not.. Its hard to tell off of the pictures on ebay. Or maybe the ones I'm looking at are off if a 5.7