: ALDL doesn't work.

jamespowers
04-11-13, 06:13 PM
Alright, I know there are various threads in here that deal with how you use the ALDL to get the check engine codes. However, I already checked those out and printed them for future reference no less. :p So today I went out to check my engine codes as I had been getting a few flashes but I figured it came from the EGL when I replaced it earlier without clearing the codes. So I jumped the A and B terminals and turned the key on. All I got was six dings and no flashing check engine code flashes---not even the check engine light comes on. :bigroll:
So does this mean the computer needs replacing or am I doing something wrong for an 86 Brougham? :(

sven914
04-13-13, 02:56 AM
Does the Check Engine Light come on at start up? If not, you might have a loose connection on your printed circuit; this happened to me and I had to remove the dashboard cover and press the check engine bulb in, so that it would light when I was doing the diagnostic. I ended up re-wiring the check engine light, so that my coolant temp light will come on instead.

If the check engine light does come on at start up, then there may be an issue with the connection between the ALDL and the ECM. I believe the the far right pin (on the top row) is ground, so you can use a test light to verify that the terminal is getting ground. The diagnostic wire is a white and black, so you may be able to jump it to ground at the ECM connection (behind the glove box).

Either way, I think the first thing you should do is take the car somewhere, where they can connect a scanner to the computer; Autozone or Advance will usually do it for free. That you you know if the computer is communicating, before you try making any repairs.

csbuckn
04-13-13, 03:49 AM
Like Sven said, check that the bulb is working. I had this issue twice. Once was a fuse and the other was a bad computer. When it was the computer, the car would randomly go into diagnostic mode.

What it do, Sven? Back from vacation I see.

jamespowers
04-13-13, 12:21 PM
Does the Check Engine Light come on at start up? If not, you might have a loose connection on your printed circuit; this happened to me and I had to remove the dashboard cover and press the check engine bulb in, so that it would light when I was doing the diagnostic. I ended up re-wiring the check engine light, so that my coolant temp light will come on instead.

If the check engine light does come on at start up, then there may be an issue with the connection between the ALDL and the ECM. I believe the the far right pin (on the top row) is ground, so you can use a test light to verify that the terminal is getting ground. The diagnostic wire is a white and black, so you may be able to jump it to ground at the ECM connection (behind the glove box).

Either way, I think the first thing you should do is take the car somewhere, where they can connect a scanner to the computer; Autozone or Advance will usually do it for free. That you you know if the computer is communicating, before you try making any repairs.

Subsequently to posting this, I took it to my mechanic and he couldn't get his scanner to work with the ALDL either. He said the computer is probably knackered. I'll check if the light goes on when I start it later this morning to go for its weekly bath. :p

jamespowers
04-13-13, 03:20 PM
I tarted the car and noticed that the check engine light didn't come on. I guess we have a problem there. I also noticed that the lights around the keyholes don't light up either. Is there a fuse for this or is it the same thing as the opera lights---no replacement parts?

cadillac kevin
04-13-13, 03:41 PM
I tarted the car and noticed that the check engine light didn't come on. I guess we have a problem there. I also noticed that the lights around the keyholes don't light up either. Is there a fuse for this or is it the same thing as the opera lights---no replacement parts?

Check the CEL bulb. It may be burnt out

Lights around the keyholes are fibreoptics tied into the interior doorlights. Make sure the fibreoptics are not dosconnected from the door light housings...remove the lens inside and look for a cable looking thing sitting inside the white plastic housing.

jamespowers
04-14-13, 12:17 PM
Check the CEL bulb. It may be burnt out

Lights around the keyholes are fibreoptics tied into the interior doorlights. Make sure the fibreoptics are not dosconnected from the door light housings...remove the lens inside and look for a cable looking thing sitting inside the white plastic housing.

Thanks! I'll check it out.

cadillac kevin
04-14-13, 12:41 PM
To get to the CEL bulb, you will have to remove the dash top. There are 4 screws on top (2 per vent), 2 in the sides (open the doors and they're on the side), one from the gauge cluster above the shifter going up, and one on the top leading edge of the glovebox (open the door and look at the top edge) going up.

csbuckn
04-14-13, 04:37 PM
No check engine light always make me think its a shady seller/dealer. I dont know why, I know they burn out but if its gone when you go to replace it, it wouldnt suprise me.

jamespowers
04-14-13, 10:40 PM
No check engine light always make me think its a shady seller/dealer. I dont know why, I know they burn out but if its gone when you go to replace it, it wouldnt suprise me.

Well, it did work when I first got it but it hasn't for the last week or so.

----------

To get to the CEL bulb, you will have to remove the dash top. There are 4 screws on top (2 per vent), 2 in the sides (open the doors and they're on the side), one from the gauge cluster above the shifter going up, and one on the top leading edge of the glovebox (open the door and look at the top edge) going up.

Oh boy, that sounds like a fun job. :p It comes right off after you remove the screws then? No prying and pulling?[COLOR="Silver"]

jayoldschool
04-14-13, 10:46 PM
It's actually really easy to do. Once the screws are out, just pull towards you. Be careful, if you flex the dash, it will crack.

jamespowers
04-14-13, 10:53 PM
It's actually really easy to do. Once the screws are out, just pull towards you. Be careful, if you flex the dash, it will crack.

:gah:If it cracks I will be:bulging:

cadillac kevin
04-15-13, 12:38 AM
:gah:If it cracks I will be:bulging:

Do it on a warm day....it makes it less likely to crack. The dashes are fairly resilient, but if you move them just right, they will crack. You want to pull it towards you, then go up with it.

jamespowers
04-16-13, 05:49 PM
Ok, this is now driving me nuts. :annoyed: The Check Engine light started to work again today. It came on when I was driving at lunch. So when I had the chance, I jumped the ALDL again to check what was wrong. Nothing again. Then I listened and hear a noise coming front he firewall when I would jump the ALDL. When I removed the paper clip it stopped. I also noticed that the Leveling light came on when I jumped the ALDL. Then when I started it, there was no check engine light again. Strange.
Another strange thing is that I had the oil changed a week ago. I checked it today and it is just as dirty as it was before! :annoyed: What is up with that? Does the Brougham oil pan have two sumps like my 75 Eldorado where you have to drain two plugs instead of one? That always drives me nuts when someone other than me chages the oil in the Eldorado and forgets to drain both sumps due to the cross member going across the oil pan.
Thanks for listening at the very least. :p

jayoldschool
04-16-13, 07:17 PM
One sump. They probably didn't change the oil.

cadillac kevin
04-16-13, 07:24 PM

This. I'd bet they didn't change it.

jamespowers
04-16-13, 08:04 PM

:ill:You know, I wondered about that. You are probably right!

----------

This. I'd bet they didn't change it.

Well, it gives me a chance to do it the right way myself anyway. Royal purple filter and a decent 10W-40 oil. It doesn't get cold enough out here to use a lower weight oil. :p

jayoldschool
04-16-13, 08:52 PM
Look under your car, and see what brand of oil filter is on it. Ask the place that did the oil change what brand of filter they use.

Change your own oil ;)

jamespowers
04-16-13, 08:56 PM
Look under your car, and see what brand of oil filter is on it. Ask the place that did the oil change what brand of filter they use.

Change your own oil ;)

Oh, they already know they owe me an oil change. Already went in and took care of that. It just won't be on this car. :p

I will look under it though and see what I am dealing with as a filter. I should have check before I took it in to be sure but I didn't. :o

I also ran down a Filter and oil. Picking it up on the way home tonight. :p

jamespowers
04-18-13, 02:33 AM
Well, they did change the oil but put the wrong filter on it PF-61 instead of the PF-45. I changed it all out for the Royal Purple combo. Interestingly, after traveling about 50 miles today, the oil did indeed get a bit dirty. Reading my new shop manual gives me some insight into what could be the problem but I am not sure. I suppose I will change the PCV and breather filter and see if it makes a difference. The manual mentions sludge if the PCV isn't working properly. I am also thinking that it might be time to replace the ECM too if I keep having trouble reading the trouble codes. Something ain't right is all I know for sure now. :p

cadillac kevin
04-18-13, 08:19 PM
Well, they did change the oil but put the wrong filter on it PF-61 instead of the PF-45. I changed it all out for the Royal Purple combo. Interestingly, after traveling about 50 miles today, the oil did indeed get a bit dirty. Reading my new shop manual gives me some insight into what could be the problem but I am not sure. I suppose I will change the PCV and breather filter and see if it makes a difference. The manual mentions sludge if the PCV isn't working properly. I am also thinking that it might be time to replace the ECM too if I keep having trouble reading the trouble codes. Something ain't right is all I know for sure now. :p

If you need an ECM, theres one in my 86 that's doing nothing :)

jamespowers
04-19-13, 01:29 AM
If you need an ECM, theres one in my 86 that's doing nothing :)

That would work for me. If it works and has a decent PROM then I am your guy. :p

I did have a chance to run over to the local ACDelco place locally and get a PCV valve, PCV breather filter and EGR valve. I was in kind of a rush so I didn't get to the EGR but I did pull the PCV and replace it along with the filter. Both were filthy. The PCV was dirty on the outside and such but it still moved a bit inside----not as freely as the new one though. It looked like it was the original that came with the car----it was so blacked, dirty and oily. :p The filter was a huge mess. If that was meant to be a breather then I am sure it wasn't breathing much. :p I just can't wait to see what a mess the EGR is in. :bigroll: It also makes me wonder what condition some of the other sensors like the oxygen sensor are in. :ill: Clearly someone was not taking care of the emissions system for a while. Gee, no wonder the dumbass I bought it from couldn't get it to pass smog out here. lol lol
Oh, I also made an appointment with my master transmission guy out here(three weeks waiting list all the time). I might as well get the fluid changed and the filter replaced---as well as have him look it over. The transmission fluid is dirty too.......:bigroll: After doing that, I noticed the transmission slipping a bit on the way home. :bigroll: it is like the car is talking to me. :ill:

jayoldschool
04-19-13, 12:28 PM
Do not let the trans guy flush the trans. Drain, filter replace, fill only!

jamespowers
04-19-13, 12:37 PM
Do not let the trans guy flush the trans. Drain, filter replace, fill only!

I have a feeling it is going to need more than that after 107,000 miles. :p

----------

He is an honest guy so whatever he finds will likely be the truth. :p

cadillac kevin
04-22-13, 09:41 PM
James, if you need another computer, LMK. I pulled mine today (wasn't doing anything anyways). It's got a little over 66k on it and worked great until I swapped the 307 for a 350.

jamespowers
04-23-13, 12:33 PM
James, if you need another computer, LMK. I pulled mine today (wasn't doing anything anyways). It's got a little over 66k on it and worked great until I swapped the 307 for a 350.

Looks like I am going to need another one. Amazingly, the car still runs decently with a screwed up one---albeit a little rough. How hard is it to replace and where is the dang thing located? I have the shop manual but they are ambiguous about where the dang thing is. :sneaky:

cadillac kevin
04-23-13, 03:46 PM
Looks like I am going to need another one. Amazingly, the car still runs decently with a screwed up one---albeit a little rough. How hard is it to replace and where is the dang thing located? I have the shop manual but they are ambiguous about where the dang thing is. :sneaky:

It is located under the glovebox. It's pretty easy to replace
1. Disconnect battery
2. Remove passenger side lower hush panel (black plastic thing under dash that keeps you from seeing everything.) IIRC there's a few screws on the leading edge.
3. Look up for a silver box with 2 plugs into it that is sitting vertically on a bracket
4. Remove either 2 screws that hold bracket to dash or 2 screws that hold computer to bracket (I just dropped the bracket on mine....I don't need it anymore)
5. Replace computer and plug new one it and reattach it to bracket/ dash
6. replace hush panel and reconnect battery

jamespowers
04-23-13, 06:28 PM
It is located under the glovebox. It's pretty easy to replace
1. Disconnect battery
2. Remove passenger side lower hush panel (black plastic thing under dash that keeps you from seeing everything.) IIRC there's a few screws on the leading edge.
3. Look up for a silver box with 2 plugs into it that is sitting vertically on a bracket
4. Remove either 2 screws that hold bracket to dash or 2 screws that hold computer to bracket (I just dropped the bracket on mine....I don't need it anymore)
5. Replace computer and plug new one it and reattach it to bracket/ dash
6. replace hush panel and reconnect battery

That sounds fairly easy. I'll PM you for the ECM.