: ran out of oil, rebuild options?

fuknuz
04-11-13, 10:44 AM
Hello, unfortunately I ran my 425 out of oil last summer and drove it 3 miles home before I noticed. Ik I shoulda known, I feel like an idiot. It didn't start knocking, just sounded dry. I'm looking to rebuild it soon but I'm not sure on what route to go. I know the bearings will ne to b replaced, bit do you think ill have to bore it and get new pistons? I'm kinda on a small budget. I checked with Mts and a rebuild kit is almost $1000. I'm notfire if I need everything tho. Any input would b nice.:)

deVille33
04-12-13, 01:25 PM
Sounded dry? Does it squeal, or rattle? Squeal - It may have spun a bearing. Rattle - It may take some time for the oil to get to the lifters. But check your oil pressure, you may have damaged the pump.

fuknuz
04-13-13, 08:35 AM
I do have a thread at another site explaining what happened that's I'm getting a lot of feed back on. http://www.cadillacpower.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=15596

Roadmaster75
04-13-13, 08:50 AM
YOu really need to pull the motor and carefully tear it down to assess the damage.

I suspect the rod and main bearings would give up first ...... this will lead to the
need for crank machining at minimum; or replacement. Then align boring for the new crank set up.

If the bores were damaged badly, AND the crank is damaged badly you might want to
NOT rebuild that engine ... but find a re-builder motor somewhere...

I find that many or most 472.500.425 motors are in quite good condition inside; even after many many miles.
Doing this might save a lot of machining that might otherwise be unnecessary.