: Hi beams want to flash on their own

bobs-sts-v
04-11-13, 09:16 AM
Anyone else get this? Hi beams just randomly flash. Only stay on for a second, then switch back to low. Started when it was daylight and I had the wipers on, but doing it at random intervals with wipers on or off at night. Annoying, not only to me but the car ahead of me I am sure. Only other thing is I hit 80K and the DIC started the "service vehicle soon" message. Is this GM's way of getting me into the dealer? If I lived in Texas, it would get me killed! (and yes, I lived in TX for six years - Houston - so I can say that! :ill: )

Bob

1madstsv
04-11-13, 09:35 AM
Check to make shore the auto on the rearview mirror is not on and just acting up. If it is off you need to go to the dealer and find out if that is why it's telling you service soon.

indabackofdalac
04-16-13, 12:53 AM
Just curious, how would the auto on the rear view affect it? I thought that was just for dimming the rear view?

Regardless, I've had the same thing happen 4 or 5 times on my new (to me) 2008 STS-V... I've only noticed because of the indicator on the HUD/dash... when it has happened (within a couple minutes of starting the car), I've manually flashed them and it went away, but I am very interested to hear if there's a possible fix...

Fierofiend
04-18-13, 10:00 AM
The "on/off" switch for automatic hi-beams is on the rearview mirror. Thats what he was referring to.

1madstsv
04-18-13, 11:37 AM
The "on/off" switch for automatic hi-beams is on the rearview mirror. Thats what he was referring to.

Yes that's what I ment to say. I for get not every one knows what all the buttons do lol.[COLOR="Silver"]

bobs-sts-v
04-21-13, 10:10 AM
Not sure if related, but now the check engine light is on. So I have codes (didn't have any before). Anyone know what these are: P0700 and U0075.
Kid mechanic of mine says the P0700 is for the trans, but the U0075 is a reserved code, meaning it shouldn't be used or is set by the dealer.
Can't take it in til Monday, but would like any info I could before going in. They will also hear about the lights flashing on their own as well.
An update to the lights - does it whether the rear view button is on or off. ONLY does it if the "service engine soon" message had been displayed, then does it quite frequently. Obviously something electronic.
Let you know what they find on Monday.

Bob

PGA2B
04-21-13, 10:55 AM
Beyerch is getting the P0700 code but his is related to the "Shift to Park" that some of us have seen. It is sad that our cars are not aging well. We are seeing more and more electronic related issues. Good Luck with the Dealer visit and please let is know what happened.

bobs-sts-v
04-23-13, 05:17 PM
So the cause of the P0700 and U0075 (which is a communication bus error) was that the battery was crapping out. Had the volts (14.2) but not the amps.
Changed the battery and the those codes have not resurfaced. They assumed this was why the lights were flashing also. Until they went to wash the car.
As soon as the water hit the car, the wipers went on and the high beams started going off on their own. So the tech spent the last 3 hours going through diagnostics and determined it is a bad wire in the harness. First the repair has to be approved by GMPP (extended warranty) and then they will attempt to replace the wiring harness. He showed me the schematic (yes, I know how to read them) and the high beams are on a circuit that is set to a specific voltage. When the voltage drops, the high beams come on. Since the wire is bad/going bad, it is only intermittent, but will eventually be a constant issue. Plugs seem to be OK (tech checked all connectors). So I wait now for GMPP to approve the repair, which the dealer says could cost up to $1200 (mostly labor charges). So no car back yet, but at least they have a working theory.

Bob

Guy.Seminerio
04-23-13, 05:51 PM
Jeez 1200. My bumper to bumper expired in February. Is it too late to get the GMPP warranty?

STS LC3
04-23-13, 10:28 PM
Check with Black Cadillac. They sell a lot of GMPP Major Guard plans. Good pricing too. Hope it works for out for you.

http://www.jamesblackcadillac.com/gmpp.htm

Guy.Seminerio
04-23-13, 10:31 PM
Thanks a lot. I'll give them a call tomorrow.

Guy.Seminerio
04-24-13, 07:51 PM
no go. they said since my warranty is already expired i'm out of luck. I was aware that's how it goes but was hoping to get lucky. Thanks anyway.

bobs-sts-v
05-03-13, 10:52 AM
Got the car back yesterday. It even decided to rain here in Chicago, so I got to test out the repair. Everything working fine.
Adjuster drove all the way out, saw it was a V, and immediately authorized the repairs. Never even touched the car. Only cost to me was my deductible.
I can't even tell what they touched. The car was put back together without any noticeable difference - not even a fingerprint. Harness looks brand new, but that's it.
Love my V-tech here at Naperville Cadillac.

Bob

PGA2B
05-03-13, 11:08 AM
There is something about V-Techs!! I am happy with both of the V-Techs that have touched my car. I had on in KC at Superior and Mark out here in AZ at Kachina.

Cadillac Cust Svc
05-03-13, 07:23 PM
Got the car back yesterday. It even decided to rain here in Chicago, so I got to test out the repair. Everything working fine.
Adjuster drove all the way out, saw it was a V, and immediately authorized the repairs. Never even touched the car. Only cost to me was my deductible.
I can't even tell what they touched. The car was put back together without any noticeable difference - not even a fingerprint. Harness looks brand new, but that's it.
Love my V-tech here at Naperville Cadillac.

Bob

Hello Bob,

I am glad to hear your vehicle was fixed and everything seems to be working fine. Enjoy driving your STS-V around!

Sincerely,

Laura M.
Cadillac Customer Service