: Any way to make sport mode the default when you start the car?

mcaffey
04-11-13, 03:21 AM
Hey guys,

I have found that I prefer sport mode on my ATS. I was curious if there's any way to make that the default mode when you start the car? I couldn't find any way to do it. Curious if I'm missing something.

Cheers.

Doodah
04-11-13, 08:04 AM
Nope, pretty sure that can't be done.

Stevo Supremo
04-11-13, 08:05 AM
does sport mode actually do anything besides make the steering stiffer?

Hoosier Daddy
04-11-13, 08:25 AM
I'd be pretty disappointed and shocked if it didn't also reign in the traction and yaw nannies.

Bertha D Blues
04-11-13, 08:27 AM
I can't even tell the difference in steering feel between sport and touring, let alone trans logic, PAL or throttle response. My dealer checked to verify that sport mode was working. He said the computer said it was on. Big deal. If I can't tell the diffference, there is none. Sorry, I didn't mean to hijack this thread. This is a hot-button item to me. Bert

jmvohs
04-11-13, 08:51 AM
If you have the magnetic shocks there is a VERY noticeable difference between the touring and sport modes.

Fraggy
04-11-13, 10:02 AM
You have to drive hard to notice it.

Hoosier Daddy
04-11-13, 10:25 AM
I have found that I prefer sport mode on my ATS. I was curious if there's any way to make that the default mode when you start the car?
GM lawyers veto that ability at least in ridiculously litigious countries such as the US. Enthusiasts often find a way to do it anyway. For instance, if its controlled by a physical button (I don't have the car yet or manual handy) its usually pretty simple have it automatically change when started up. Just need a trip to Radio Shack and a schematic. If its activated other ways, you may be able to get a tune that changes the default (requires a tuner with easy going lawyers).

cztrammell
04-11-13, 11:02 AM
You have to drive hard to notice it.

Agreed. I found a difference in mine when I used it the other day. Suspension was firmer, and shifter with manual tranny was smoother (less jerky) than the touring mode (I'm usually quick to shift gears and using touring mode was jerky). I don't notice a difference in the engine response, but I'm be playing with the Stabilitrak/Comp Mode in the next week or two since I want to see how sport mode influences mileage.

Stevo Supremo
04-11-13, 11:44 AM
too bad its not like an "M power" button, like in the 2.0 ones, too bad it didn't up the boost or something

celmem
04-02-14, 01:43 PM
I know this is an old thread but mine stays in "sport mode" between starts. There's an icon that's displayed (at least on the Tire Pressure panel). According to the PAL thingy, it has to sense your driving also. If you aren't pushing the car, it dafaults to Touring mode. I've just started playing with it....

flycaster
04-02-14, 03:04 PM
As far as I know, SM will allow you to hold gears longer.

DaveInMi
04-02-14, 03:21 PM
and shifter with manual tranny was smoother (less jerky) than the touring mode

I'm not sure how that is even possible.

mechevar
04-02-14, 04:33 PM
Whoa, is that true about the shifting? My assumption was that it made the steering a little stiffer, nothing more.

wlk12
04-02-14, 06:10 PM
My wife's 2014 2.0T Luxury just stays in the sport mode. She leaves it there and it stays in that mode after every start.

kustom71
04-02-14, 06:21 PM
If i put my car in sport mode when i come back out to it and start the car again its still in sport mode.Little green S on the dash is on.

deedward
04-02-14, 07:21 PM
I'm not sure, but I think the 2014 models stay in sport mode and the 2013 models default to touring between starts. Perhaps the 2014 ATS drivers can test my theory?

Dan

ATS Mike
04-02-14, 07:42 PM
Hi there.

Own a 2014 ATS 2.0t 6 speed manual.

If sport mode is selected the car Stays in sport mode every time you turn on or turn off the car. Love it. My 2013 did not do that.

GJB
04-02-14, 07:43 PM
I know this is an old thread but mine stays in "sport mode" between starts. There's an icon that's displayed (at least on the Tire Pressure panel). According to the PAL thingy, it has to sense your driving also. If you aren't pushing the car, it dafaults to Touring mode. I've just started playing with it....

What model year do you have?

TurboTurtle
04-02-14, 10:00 PM
I have a 2014 Base 2.0T automatic and it stays in sport mode between drives.

Ragtop 99
04-03-14, 11:30 AM
Whoa, is that true about the shifting? My assumption was that it made the steering a little stiffer, nothing more. Automatic transmission cars will have some differences in shifting in sport mode.
Manual cars will not shift differently, except when the driver himself is put into sport mode. :burn:

My wife's 2014 2.0T Luxury just stays in the sport mode. She leaves it there and it stays in that mode after every start.
2014 cars remember sport mode; 2013 drivers have to set it each time the car is started. So far no easy fix has been found to add this feature to 2013 cars. Nyinstaller/Diablo Mike have posted about their efforts to find a fix for 2013 in a thread in the technical forum.

PetrolHead
04-03-14, 11:31 AM
My 14 also always stays in Sport mode when I set it to. Pretty cool.

Jroca64
04-04-14, 10:09 AM
Mine also stays in sport mode 2014.
also if you want to feel the difference try doing an autocross in different modes and see if you can tell the difference, I for sure can feel it on mine and I amk looking forward to my first autocross in this car next weekend.

SCATS
04-06-14, 11:08 PM
Damn. my 13 doesnt.. thats annoying. hmm... another reason to move to a 15? :)

Hoosier Daddy
04-07-14, 08:57 AM
Damn. my 13 doesnt.. thats annoying. hmm... another reason to move to a 15? :)
You don't even want to know what the 2016 will have.

don.davis
04-07-14, 09:07 AM
I must be the only one who enjoys the little ritual of double-pushing the "mode" button, nudging the shifter over to the left, then down-shifting a gear or two with the left paddle before stomping...

Ragtop 99
04-07-14, 01:35 PM
I must be the only one who enjoys the little ritual of double-pushing the "mode" button, nudging the shifter over to the left, then down-shifting a gear or two with the left paddle before stomping... If I'm going to manually shift, I just leave it in touring mode.

SCATS
04-07-14, 10:08 PM
I know.. unfortunately... I know... :) Good ole planed obsolescence :)

You don't even want to know what the 2016 will have.