: Clutch Install - Problems!!

never
04-11-13, 12:46 AM
Hey guys,

Have a 2004 V and I just swapped in a new clutch, pressure plate and single mass flywheel. I reused the stock slave (no leaks or issues) and installed the kit supplied spacer. Everything went in fine but now I have some issues...
- engine off, I can get into all gears easily
- engine running, resistance getting into all gears
- engine running, could initially get into reverse but now it just grinds, can feel the shaft spinning. Can only use reverse if I shut it off, select reverse, then fire it back up.
- when I first discovered this, bled the system repeatedly, it got into gear a bit easier but reverse got worse
- pedal feels good
- clutch engages pretty close to the floor
- engine running, clutch pedal in, if I push the shifter into a gear (say 1st), the car will rock forward a bit

So I don't know if there is anymore air in the system but the clutch definitely isn't completely disengaging. Should I keep bleeding more, any tips? My only other thought is I need a shim or thicker spacer for the slave. Any other ideas?

I haven't driven the car yet, only just back and forth in the garage. Part of the issue is my driveway is long and still has a bunch of snow/ice on it. The V only has summer tires. I'll be able to get to the road but I won't be able to get back up. So I'm not sure if some miles will help the problem at all.

Thanks!

FuzzyLogic
04-11-13, 01:03 AM
Your clutch is not fully disengaging. You're damaging your transmission with every shift (ask me how I know).

I've said this so many times that I apologize if I come off as irritable, but here it is: never EVER buy the Katech spacer. It's not long enough. Not only that, the throw-out bearing on the LS2 slave is narrower than the throw-out bearing on the LS7 slave, resulting in uneven pressure plate actuation and vibration. The solution:

1. Get a LS7 slave. PowerTorque CS2529 from O'Reilly (http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/PTQ6/CS2529.oap) ($92).

2. While you're down there, check your torque settings on the pressure plate. If you go beyond 52 ft-lbs, the fingers on the pressure plate will begin to retract and prevent you from fully disengaging the clutch. I know that a lot of people get by without paying heed to torque settings, but this is one area where it really, really matters.

Naf
04-11-13, 03:59 AM
If you changed the clutch, you should have changed the slave, its a given...

Ditch the old slave and get the Zo6, it looks like your old slave is just too short for the single mass setup...

I got the new ZR1 setup with alu flywheel comes in at 4lb lighter than the Zo6. cant wait to install this badass...

NC-V
04-11-13, 08:40 PM
Never just buy a spacer/slave setup and install without measuring the TOB free play before assembly. The free play should be between 1/16-1/8". If your free play with the TOB collapsed is more than that you may very well run into the clutch not disengaging completely. Like the others have already stated, it sounds like you need more shims under the slave to push it closer to the clutch.