: Bitter sweet: traded in my 2011 V for a 2014 Cherokee SRT

sybersport
04-11-13, 12:13 AM
It was a long time coming... I got married recently and my wife and I just had a baby... my V is a manual, which my wife can't drive, and even with snow tires I wasn't comfortable driving it in the winter... So now I have a 4x4 that will be equally bad in the snow. Just don't tell the wife that.

Looked around at a few different SUV type vehicles, and settled on the 2014 SRT. I actually wasn't even considering it until I saw the new one come out, since the 2012/13's were lacking in a few key areas - but the new one has an 8 speed tranny, launch control, and a bunch of fancy dancy technology in the cockpit. With a 470HP hemi, they say these new SRTs can hit sub 5 second 60 foots, and apparently one Chrysler engineer said he went 12.9 at 105. I'll have to see how close I can get.

So... sad to say I'm leaving the V family, but happy to say I'll see the Toronto boys at the track this summer in my family SUV. Watch out! haha. That is, assuming I get this thing before the summer is over. I'm expecting a 3 month wait... which leaves me a great summer in the V before I have to let it go :)

RaVeNous
04-11-13, 12:56 AM
The SRT cars are nice and no joke. I like the look of the jeeps, but they are overpriced in my opinion. I had a 2012 300 SRT and I loved it. I just wanted a V more.

USAFRET
04-11-13, 09:30 AM
My son-in-law has an older Jeep SRT-8 and I got to drive it a few weeks ago and was pleasntly surprised how well it sounded and drove. But gas mileage is the same if not worse than the V. He routinely see's LOW TEEN's MPG on the cars computer after a weeks worth of driving it to/from work.

Good luck and post up some photo's of the new addition when you get it.

Tedboss1
04-11-13, 12:30 PM
I was also interested in 2014 SRT8 but I'm hoping the AWD TT CTS will go into production.

MacBuster
04-11-13, 12:51 PM
Might be my only option if I don't want to spring for an E63 wagon, and Caddy refuses to do the right thing and build a V3 Vagon.

RaVeNous
04-11-13, 01:12 PM
Good luck finding an E63 Wagon. Those are the rarest car Benz makes. The latest ones are pretty sick though.

The Gen 1 SRT8 Jeeps are actually faster than the Gen 2. The Gen 2 particulalry the 2014 with the 8 speed have a crazy curb weight. They ride really nice and have great interiors. They are still fast, and with the 8 speed might get into the lower 4 second 0-60 but no one knows for sure.

Jinx
04-11-13, 01:15 PM
Be sure to take lots of photos and video of you wringing out the V before it goes. That way when your kid gets older you'll have proof of how cool you used to be ;)

Surely the GCSRT will be more sure-footed than the V if you put the right tires on it.

Xaqtly
04-11-13, 01:22 PM
Yeah if nothing else the SRT has a higher center of gravity and AWD, which automatically makes it better than the V in any kind of slippery conditions, even if it's not as good offroad as some of the other Jeeps. Good snow tires will make it very usable in snow.

RaVeNous
04-11-13, 01:55 PM
The Jeep did get its ass handed to it by a Range Rover Sport Supercharged.....its not particularly off-road worthly like some of the previous gen. That's what I've read. More sure footed than a V? Maybe on gravel. The gen 1 SRT Jeep did really handle pretty good, but they seemed to sit a bit more squat than the new ones. The new ones are like ultra plush luxury cars though - very nice. MPG on the Jeep without the 8 speed will be worse than the Gen 2 by 2-3 mpg in town and on the highway.

MacBuster
04-11-13, 02:20 PM
Yeah if nothing else the SRT has a higher center of gravity and AWD, which automatically makes it better than the V in any kind of slippery conditions, even if it's not as good offroad as some of the other Jeeps. Good snow tires will make it very usable in snow.

A high centre of gravity almost never helps in handling...snow or otherwise.

DiamondWhtV
04-11-13, 02:35 PM
A high centre of gravity almost never helps in handling...snow or otherwise.

Agree

But maybe he meant higher ground clearance.

thebigjimsho
04-11-13, 06:21 PM
I can hit 5 second 60 foots on my bicycle...

1997BlackETC
04-11-13, 06:24 PM
I can hit 5 second 60 foots on my bicycle...

And me in my wheelchair,haha

JKG
04-11-13, 07:54 PM
I went the other way - am soon selling my 2010 Jeep SRT for a V wagon. The Jeep was been real great, and super practical. I would like a manual transmission though, since it is a bit more fun, although part of me wonders if I will regret it afterward. The 14 SRT with the 8 speed will cure the one weak point of the previous Jeep SRT - the 5 speed manual is slow to shift, even in manual mode, and an 8 speed with steering wheel paddles might make it a lot more fun

HUGN*RDS
04-11-13, 08:46 PM

pretty nice looking jeep and it doesn't look overly aggressive.

RaVeNous
04-11-13, 09:12 PM
The 2014 has even more aggressive headlamps.

The 8 speed will be nice, but I disagree that the 5 speed is sloppy. I myself don't want bone jarring shifts in any car unless I can shut it off. I find the V transmission which gets a lot of crit to be very comfortable and responsive.

lilred
04-11-13, 09:18 PM
I've got a 2012 V and the wife drives a 2012 Jeep SRT8. They are both great vehicles. Man I love this country :)

JKG
04-11-13, 09:35 PM
the 5 speed shifts up from 1st to 2nd too fast,which makes the car feel slower around town at anything less than full throttle. and even when you shift manually, the shifts are slow to happen. And the gearing between the 5th gear and the rear axle makes for close to 3000rpm at 70+mph on the highway. I am hoping the 8 speed with manual paddle shifters will correct these issues. As an owner for several years now, I do feel the 5 speed auto is the only weak spot. Still, i think the car is fantastic, and a complete automotive bargain compared to new stuff. Just like the 2004 CTS-V was a bargain too..

RaVeNous
04-11-13, 09:45 PM
I agree on the 5th gear, that ps why the mpg goes down significantly after 70mph.

I find with the low end torque of the 392, the smooth lazy shifting of the transmission was quite nice, and probably by design. The cars arent designed to shift rough. At least in the 2012's the sport modes really make the shifting sporty when you want it. The 5 speed was worse in the 6.1. You just have to know the motor and what gear to be in.