: 2007 Cadillac STS Transmission Question

fruitopius
04-10-13, 04:46 PM
I had my transmission flushed by the cadillac dealership along with a new motor mount install, and a seal repair on the rear axil. The very next day the car would not shift into any gear whle driving down the highway, but the motor is running fine. Car was towed back to the dealership, and they are removing the transmission pan to see if there is any evidence of transmission damage internally. Very ironic on the timing here..... What is my worst case $ cost and best case $cost for this issue. Any help or guidiance on this would be appreciated. Dave

orange57
04-10-13, 06:10 PM
I had to replace the trans on my 05. The trans cost around $1900 from the dealer. Total bill with them doing the swap was quoted around $2900. I opted to do the work myself instead of having them do the repair in order to save some coin.

EChas3
04-10-13, 07:32 PM
If they screwed the pooch, your liability s/b zero. Proving that is another thing. But they have insurance. Be pleasant but firm. A flush can't cause a transmission to stop shifting. A motor mount replacement can do almost anything if they messed it up.

carter's_sts
04-10-13, 08:41 PM
It could be not enough trans fluid after the flush.

dkozloski
04-10-13, 09:33 PM
A transmission flush is designed to flush money from your wallet. It's a common event for a transmission to fail right after one. If not from stirring up the sludge in the bottom of yours it's from injecting all the crap from somebody else's into yours.

curtc
04-10-13, 11:12 PM
I've always opted for a simple drain/refill and filter replacement myself, for that reason...

fruitopius
04-11-13, 10:13 AM
Everyone Thanks for the information. They removed the transmission pan late yesterday and found metal in the pan. The rep stated something has "let loose" in the transmission. They are going to open up the trans and see how much damage is inside there. I have a 103k miles on the car. The options he stated I may have are 1. They replace what ever is broken inside the trans. 2. Rebuild 3. Replace with Used Trans 4. There may be a manufactured trans with warranty out there. (I don't think that realistic as it's a 2007?) Any gauge on how much this will run to replace with new or used trans? Thanks everyone, Dave

orange57
04-11-13, 12:49 PM
Everyone Thanks for the information. They removed the transmission pan late yesterday and found metal in the pan. The rep stated something has "let loose" in the transmission. They are going to open up the trans and see how much damage is inside there. I have a 103k miles on the car. The options he stated I may have are 1. They replace what ever is broken inside the trans. 2. Rebuild 3. Replace with Used Trans 4. There may be a manufactured trans with warranty out there. (I don't think that realistic as it's a 2007?) Any gauge on how much this will run to replace with new or used trans? Thanks everyone, Dave

I replaced my trans a little over a year ago. I got the trans brand new from the dealer. My car is an 05 and has the 5spd in it. I would think the dealer could still get a new trans. Although I have seen reman units for a few hundred less than what I paid also. With a similar warranty. You will probably be looking at around $1000 for labor on top of what ever the trans costs.

curtc
04-11-13, 02:15 PM
That sounds about right if I use my old 2001 STS as an example...I purchased a used trans at a local salvage yard for $400, had it installed at my local GM dealer for about $1,000 of labor IIRC. Can't imagine a RWD/FWD trans swap being all that much different in terms of labor costs at a dealership.

orange57
04-11-13, 02:53 PM
I've done both swaps, well the FWD was on a car with the 3800 v6 and a 4T60 trans, the RWD is hands down waaaayyyyy easier. For the fwd you had to drop the entire subframe which was a huge pita.

dannyquest
04-11-13, 03:02 PM
fruitopius, I had a tech school auto shop teacher to say don't change tranmission fluid in a car with high mileage. That is any car with more than 75k miles. Danny

MoistCabbage
04-11-13, 03:28 PM
There's absolutely NO reason not to change the transmission fluid on a high mileage vehicle.

curtc
04-11-13, 03:51 PM
fruitopius, I had a tech school auto shop teacher to say don't change tranmission fluid in a car with high mileage. That is any car with more than 75k miles. Danny

You may have heard wrong but transmission fluid can always be changed, no matter what the vehicles mileage is. However, this is where you may have gotten mixed up, I have been told by many seasoned techs to not FLUSH a high mileage transmission but to opt for a simple drain and fill. Flushing can disrupt debries that have built up over the years and can move it to other areas of the transmission, this is why you hear stories of trans failure after flushes.

MoistCabbage
04-12-13, 05:37 AM
:yeah: