: Getting my Differential rear end carrier replaced on Friday

1997BlackETC
04-10-13, 03:55 PM
It's made a gear whine since I got the car @ around 50 mph, pretty loud can even hear it with the radio on, soooo, the dealer ordered it today and will replace it Friday, it's an expensive part, looks to list around 2 grand. They are covering it under warrantee. Be good to get that taken care of.

Trapspeed
04-10-13, 04:42 PM
Great news. I was elated to hear the dealership I'm speaking to now ordered me one without even seeing my car. Between that and the new blower I'll be sailing!

1997BlackETC
04-10-13, 06:02 PM
Great, I know you've been after them for a while on the blower with the noise, your car will be quiet after, nice. I really can't complain at all about GM lately and the dealer I'm going to now (Coast Cadillac in Sarasota) is amazing, they are really on top of things. I kinda knew sooner or later the carrier would have to be changed. With that type of noise it means things just did not wear in properly from the start. I'm not going to take the car over 60 mph for the first 1000 miles after it's done and totally baby it. I'm going to tell them to be really careful who they let test drive the car right after the job is done, I don't want it beat on right after the install, that's all I'd need is to have the same problem again. My car had 350 miles on it when I got because it was picked up from a distant dealer so who knows how the car was treated in those miles, I was careful for the first 1000 miles.

I asked the service manager if they could install some 4:11 gears, his answers was ah nope. So 3:23 it'll be. Probably good anyhow because i'm always complaining about gas mileage and that woulda made matters worse, lol. Maybe the new gears if worn in right will have a little less friction and I'll get a little better mileage?

USAFRET
04-10-13, 07:28 PM
Interesting observation on my recently purchased 2011 coupe. I just turned 4800 miles but it too has a drive line "whine" that is especially loud just at 45 MPH. I'm going to drive everyday for a week or two before I go any further, but it is noisier than any other car I have owned lately. I thought it might be a V thing.

More to follow.

cts-v ls6
04-10-13, 09:28 PM
Have a 2010 V2, been there, done that on both rear end and blower. Now have 88k miles and she runs like a new one. No gear whine and no blower whine, although I did put in a solid isolator.

Jack

1997BlackETC
04-10-13, 10:17 PM
Yep, it happens sometimes with these cars. I was going to put it off doing it, but I'm sure there is already a lot of metal filings in the fluid and it will only get worse. When those gears don't break in right they wear excessively.

1997BlackETC
04-12-13, 08:59 PM
Got the job done today, only took about 3 hours, no more noise from the rear end. Just gonna take it real easy with the car for the next 500 miles.

RaVeNous
04-12-13, 09:20 PM
Describe this sound.

Trapspeed
04-12-13, 09:32 PM
Describe this sound.

Mine hums low pitch at 35-40 MPH at a cruise. Like a harmonic sound coming from behind you. When you give it a little gas, gone.

Got the job done today, only took about 3 hours, no more noise from the rear end. Just gonna take it real easy with the car for the next 500 miles.

Outstanding! I'm ready for mine.

smackdownCTSV
04-12-13, 09:43 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjoaGOrhQco

NM11CTSV
05-28-13, 10:23 PM
I have a 2011 with 22k on it and I hear a faint hum of some sort at 40 when I'm under light load from the rear, when I let off the gas, it seems to go away.

Does this sound like the problem described?

Just got the car so idk.

austin
05-28-13, 10:49 PM
Great, I know you've been after them for a while on the blower with the noise, your car will be quiet after, nice. I really can't complain at all about GM lately and the dealer I'm going to now (Coast Cadillac in Sarasota) is amazing, they are really on top of things. I kinda knew sooner or later the carrier would have to be changed. With that type of noise it means things just did not wear in properly from the start. I'm not going to take the car over 60 mph for the first 1000 miles after it's done and totally baby it. I'm going to tell them to be really careful who they let test drive the car right after the job is done, I don't want it beat on right after the install, that's all I'd need is to have the same problem again. My car had 350 miles on it when I got because it was picked up from a distant dealer so who knows how the car was treated in those miles, I was careful for the first 1000 miles.

I asked the service manager if they could install some 4:11 gears, his answers was ah nope. So 3:23 it'll be. Probably good anyhow because i'm always complaining about gas mileage and that woulda made matters worse, lol. Maybe the new gears if worn in right will have a little less friction and I'll get a little better mileage?

You can easily get 3:73's.... Just have the dealer order the replacement rear for a CTS-V with a 6-speed manual transmission instead of the automatic.. Same housing, same installation... I'm not sure exactly on all of the particulars.. But, you will need either a handheld tuner like the diablosport Trinity or a professional tune with HpTuners etc to recalibrate the speedo..

Cadillac Cust Svc
05-29-13, 08:21 AM
I have a 2011 with 22k on it and I hear a faint hum of some sort at 40 when I'm under light load from the rear, when I let off the gas, it seems to go away.

Does this sound like the problem described?

Just got the car so idk.

Hello NM11CTSV,

Congrats on recently getting your vehicle. I hope you are enjoying it so far. As for as the noise issue you are experiencing, which could be similar to others on this forum thread, I recommend taking your vehicle into the dealership. It won't hurt to get it checked out, especially if it is something such as metal filings in the fluid, which 1997BlackETC mentioned in his earlier post, that could possibly get worse with time. If you would like help with setting up an appointment or want to discuss anything further, please let us know. We can also be reached via private message.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
Cadillac Customer Service

StoneCrab
05-29-13, 10:15 AM
Back in 09 when I bought my sedan the common advice was to change the diff fluid at around 1000 miles. Is that still the case? I did so, and never experienced any noise or problems even after a couple HPDE days in the car (other than diff overtemp warnings). If I recall, there were some that were underfilled from the factory so changing the fluid not only flushed any particles but made sure it was properly filled.

thebigjimsho
05-29-13, 11:25 AM
Changing the diff fluid is as easy as an oil change. I'd do that first.

1997BlackETC
05-29-13, 01:33 PM
No way would dealer put a 6 speed diff in place of one with the auto under warrantee. Maybe if you payed for it they might, but otherwise, no.

NM11CTSV
05-29-13, 10:27 PM
How do I go about getting both diff and supercharger replaced? Both are making noise :(

Has it ever been done in one visit before?

1997BlackETC
05-30-13, 12:02 AM
Just tell em your problem and see what they say, if they deny get a district manager involved if your sure you've got a problem.

Trapspeed
05-30-13, 07:22 AM
How do I go about getting both diff and supercharger replaced? Both are making noise :(

Has it ever been done in one visit before?

I'm happy to say, yes, it has. Mine were both done at the same time. The dealer even ordered the parts off my verbal complaint alone without even seeing the car! It can be done. Where are you located?

Boosted2000si
05-30-13, 09:01 AM
My dealer replaced my diff without question.

Fields Cadillac in St Augustine FL. One of the best service experiences I have had in a while. Randy was my service advisor and extremely nice & helpful. They earned a customer for life.

NM11CTSV
05-31-13, 07:59 AM
I'm in Albuquerque, NM

My issues I listed were,

Driver seat rock under acceleration and stop, driver headrest bottom plastic is coming off, driver seat circular adjustment buttons somehow got pushed in, diff wine at 40 mph under light acceleration, then stops when I let off, I think that was it. I figured I can go back at a separate visit for the supercharger. I still have the temp tag on the car lol.

Cadillac Cust Svc
05-31-13, 10:04 AM
I'm in Albuquerque, NM

My issues I listed were,

Driver seat rock under acceleration and stop, driver headrest bottom plastic is coming off, driver seat circular adjustment buttons somehow got pushed in, diff wine at 40 mph under light acceleration, then stops when I let off, I think that was it. I figured I can go back at a separate visit for the supercharger. I still have the temp tag on the car lol.

Hello NM11CTSV,

I am sorry for the vehicle issues you are experiencing. Let us know how everything goes and if you would like to discuss any concerns or issues, please reach out to us!

Regards,

Laura M.

NM11CTSV
05-31-13, 02:29 PM
Thank you. This will be my first experience with this dealership, hopefully they take care of me. My next closest cadillac dealership is in Santa Fe, NM.

Cadillac Cust Svc
05-31-13, 03:12 PM
Thank you. This will be my first experience with this dealership, hopefully they take care of me. My next closest cadillac dealership is in Santa Fe, NM.

You are welcome NM11CTSV! I hope the dealership in Albuquerque works out for you too.

Regards,

Laura M.

Trapspeed
05-31-13, 07:08 PM

I do, too. It took me about a year and GM realizing they had a problem to get it done but once the dealer acknowledged a problem (and they freely did) the repairs were done readily and with a smile on their face. Don't be afraid to email dealership GMs either.

NM11CTSV
05-31-13, 11:29 PM
Definitely heard the supercharger rattle just now when I got home and turned off the car... Sigh, this dealership is not going to like me. All these things that need to be done are $$$$ and it's going to be all at once. I'm sure they will come up with excuses left and right as to "that's normal, this is normal, etc" and try to not repair anything. With my luck...

1997BlackETC
06-01-13, 01:05 AM
Actually that is normal for the supercharger to make a rattle sound when you turn off the car, at least GM says so. This is because there is a spring that kind of backlashes when you shut off the engine. A solid isolater will make it quite, but GM does not allow putting those in the car.

Definitely heard the supercharger rattle just now when I got home and turned off the car... Sigh, this dealership is not going to like me. All these things that need to be done are $$$$ and it's going to be all at once. I'm sure they will come up with excuses left and right as to "that's normal, this is normal, etc" and try to not repair anything. With my luck...

Trapspeed
06-01-13, 07:48 AM
The "normal" routine was what they gave me a year ago. Now, do not be fooled- the blower is going to rattle a bit. Even the new one does. The design will cause that for claimed longevity reasons but many units began to make a lot of noise. They developed a threshold for the normal range and if it exceeds it they replace it. All the tech or manager needs to do is write it up that way and you should sail. The new blower is much quieter than the old one.

As for the rear carrier, mine was a time bomb waiting to blow. A bearing had separated and both main gears were pitted. That was a no-brainer. Just be politely persistent and see what happens. Like I said, don't be afraid to involve dealership management if you're not happy.

NM11CTSV
06-01-13, 09:33 AM
Okay. Well if the supercharger rattle is normal, I'll leave it for now. I still have My extended warranty that will cover me

Trapspeed
06-01-13, 10:06 AM
Okay. Well if the supercharger rattle is normal, I'll leave it for now. I still have My extended warranty that will cover me

Don't "settle" for normal yet. Let them hear it and make a ruling. They've replaced so many of them lately the stock was running short. At least get in on record. As for the rear end, many were going out at less than 10K miles. Let them look at that, too. Records may save you later.

RippyPartsDept
06-01-13, 10:58 AM
i'm pretty sure the test for the S/C rattle is if it can be heard over a certain RPM (1,300 maybe?)

and the longevity issue was one of the reasons for not using the solid isolator ... the other was cabin noise ... apparently the solid isolator causes more noise inside the cabin

full story can be found here
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/2009-2013-cadillac-cts-v-performance/185476-engineering-response-s-c-shaft-wear.html

NM11CTSV
06-01-13, 11:06 AM
I don't think I can hear anything at 1300rpms. I hear the supercharger whine at about 2k (100% factory car) and that's it.

NM11CTSV
06-02-13, 10:32 PM
Well, go in tomorrow for everything. I'm sure the vehicle is under warranty, 2011, 22k miles, I need to add the driver side headlight to the list :( it doesn't move with the passenger side when turn the wheel.

Anyhow, they said they're supposed to give me a loaner tomorrow morning, again, hope this doesn't cost anything either. (New to dealer loaners, Chrysler never offered me this)

Wish me luck.

thebigjimsho
06-03-13, 12:16 PM
Well, go in tomorrow for everything. I'm sure the vehicle is under warranty, 2011, 22k miles, I need to add the driver side headlight to the list :( it doesn't move with the passenger side when turn the wheel.

Anyhow, they said they're supposed to give me a loaner tomorrow morning, again, hope this doesn't cost anything either. (New to dealer loaners, Chrysler never offered me this)

Wish me luck.

Loaner won't cost you a dime.

Cadillac Cust Svc
06-03-13, 12:18 PM

Wish me luck.

Hello NM11CTSV,

Good luck with everything! Please keep me informed and reach out to me if there are any questions or additional concerns you would like to discuss.

Regards,

Laura M.

NM11CTSV
06-03-13, 07:19 PM
Update: I was told the tech thinks is a wheel bearing.. We will see. If I get it back and the sound continues, I'll bring it right back. Unless they drive it and find that didn't correct the sound.

Trapspeed
06-03-13, 09:34 PM
Update: I was told the tech thinks is a wheel bearing.. We will see. If I get it back and the sound continues, I'll bring it right back. Unless they drive it and find that didn't correct the sound.

Could be...had one of those replaced, too, but they don't drone like a bad carrier. If it comes on between 35-40 in a high gear at cruise and then goes away under power it's not a bearing in a wheel. Listen close!

NM11CTSV
06-03-13, 10:35 PM
Mine happens under load, and stops making a noise when I let off, 40mph+.

NM11CTSV
06-04-13, 04:52 PM
Well they are replacing the headlight, rear carrier, and fixing the seat rock, headrest, and side seat switch panel. Got PNs on the seat repair kit.

Overall, I'm a happy satisfied customer

Trapspeed
06-04-13, 06:13 PM
Good news. That's the only possible scenario for that gear whine. Now....break the new one in right and whining is a memory. Now for the blower.

1997BlackETC
06-04-13, 06:22 PM
i've gotta remember when I pull my car outta storage that the rear end is still not broken in yet, I think the car's been around 600 miles since it was replaced, I wanted to go easy on it for around 1000 miles or so.

NM11CTSV
06-04-13, 06:39 PM
So can someone give me the proper procedure on breaking it in properly?

Trapspeed
06-05-13, 08:57 PM
Originally Posted by 2013 Cadillac Owner's manual

For the first 2 414 km (1,500 miles):
Avoid full throttle starts and abrupt stops.
Do not exceed 4,000 engine rpm.
Avoid driving at any one constant speed, fast or slow.
Avoid downshifting to brake or slow the vehicle when the engine speed will exceed 4000 rpm.
Do not let the engine labor. Never lug the engine in high gear at low speeds. With a manual transmission, shift to the next lower gear. This rule applies at all times, not just during the break-in period.
Do not participate in track events, sport driving schools, or similar activities during this break–in period.

the blur
06-09-13, 06:50 AM
Originally Posted by 2013 Cadillac Owner's manual

For the first 2 414 km (1,500 miles):
Avoid full throttle starts and abrupt stops.
Do not exceed 4,000 engine rpm.
Avoid driving at any one constant speed, fast or slow.
Avoid downshifting to brake or slow the vehicle when the engine speed will exceed 4000 rpm.
Do not let the engine labor. Never lug the engine in high gear at low speeds. With a manual transmission, shift to the next lower gear. This rule applies at all times, not just during the break-in period.
Do not participate in track events, sport driving schools, or similar activities during this break–in period.

Yes, the car may melt.
Did you ever see what GM does to this cars right off the assembly line ????????????? "full load testing"

1997BlackETC
06-09-13, 01:18 PM
Thats why there are so many whining rear ends out there in these cars, most people cannot resist getting on it right away including the dealers and the guys at GM.

Trapspeed
06-09-13, 04:35 PM
Yes, the car my melt.
Did you ever see what GM does to this cars right off the assembly line ????????????? "full load testing"

My post was in response to the question posed. Not saying I follow(ed) all of it. Half swear by it, half don't.

the blur
06-09-13, 05:58 PM
GM takes engines right off the assembly line, and runs them at WOT, until they run out of gas.

JFJr
06-09-13, 06:13 PM
Yes, the car my melt. at a lster

Get a clue, the break-in period has to do with the differential, transmission parts getting used to each other; it's been repeated many, many times on this forum. Learn now before it becomes embarrassing at a later age. A little correct spelling will go a long way, too.

the blur
06-09-13, 06:22 PM
Get a clue, the break-in period has to do with the differential, transmission parts getting used to each other; it's been repeated many, many times on this forum. Learn now before it becomes embarrassing at a later age. A little correct spelling will go a long way, too. Nice run on sentence. 6th grade English goes a long way.

medici78
07-06-14, 02:14 AM
Sorry to bring up an old thread but our '12 CTS-V Wagon has a faint whining/humming noise constantly over 40mph. It happens when on the throttle and cruising, but goes away off the throttle. In addition, I feel some slop in the drivetrain if I let off the gas over 60mph and get back on it. Could this be the same issue? Recently had the supercharger replaced, so I'm wondering if these are just items to begin looking for on any CTS-V.

Trapspeed
07-06-14, 09:40 AM
Sorry to bring up an old thread but our '12 CTS-V Wagon has a faint whining/humming noise constantly over 40mph. It happens when on the throttle and cruising, but goes away off the throttle. In addition, I feel some slop in the drivetrain if I let off the gas over 60mph and get back on it. Could this be the same issue? Recently had the supercharger replaced, so I'm wondering if these are just items to begin looking for on any CTS-V.

Mine was most noticeable at 35-40 and had the same characteristics you describe. It was harder to hear the faster I went.

WhoseCadillacIsThat
07-06-14, 12:13 PM
This '11 had the rear end whine above 55 which I considered pretty cheesy for a vehicle of this caliber and supposed supreme quality. We really like the car and have had a few other issues repaired, replaced or 'fixed' that were disheartening to have happen to a brand new vehicle; but warranty took care of them.

The rear end whine has now turned into a constant roar and reading these posts causes some alarm about what is going on. Will warn tires make this roar? We still have the Michelin's and we're at almost 19K - end of life for these 20k tires so I was thinking that the tires were causing the noise. Could this be? We were intending to replace the tires very soon anyhow...

Thanks, hope someone has been through this....

BillC

baabootoo
07-06-14, 01:49 PM
I just noticed a slight "roar" myself, with 44K on my 2009. I have to have the windows up, and the radio off to hear it though. I didn't notice it until I put the summer tires back on, so I'm wondering if it just tire noise. Can you hear the rear end whine easily over road noise?

Trapspeed
07-06-14, 06:45 PM
I just noticed a slight "roar" myself, with 44K on my 2009. I have to have the windows up, and the radio off to hear it though. I didn't notice it until I put the summer tires back on, so I'm wondering if it just tire noise. Can you hear the rear end whine easily over road noise?

At 35-40, I certainly could.

WhoseCadillacIsThat
07-07-14, 01:14 AM

We noticed right away that these PS2's are noisy. Seems like running over a dime makes a thud... Stiff sidewall. I don't hear the whine as pronounced as before but it is still there but is being overtaken by the roar. Thing is, if this is tire noise then it is getting progressively worse but if it's rear end noise we have a differential housing full of that dreaded silvery lube laden with metal. I must get this car to the dealer, get the tires replaced, get the noise checked out. The dealer sent me an offer to buy back the car and I've thought about taking up on that - but damn I like this car!

spearfish25
07-07-14, 10:09 AM
The diff problem is more of a whine that changes with speed. Typical speed range is 40-60mph. It's distinct from the rear of the car. In terms of sound quality, think of riding around in a shitty taxi with 100k miles on the odometer or a 4x4 truck with the transfer case in low range driving at slow speed.

Worn tires can be very noisy. It's more diffuse sounding, increases with speed but is present at all speeds and can be accentuated with maneuvers like braking hard (putting more weight on worn front tires) or cornering at speed (again, increasing the weight/pressure on worn tires).

baabootoo
07-08-14, 11:03 AM
Thanks all.

Cadillac Cust Svc
07-09-14, 11:41 AM
This '11 had the rear end whine above 55 which I considered pretty cheesy for a vehicle of this caliber and supposed supreme quality. We really like the car and have had a few other issues repaired, replaced or 'fixed' that were disheartening to have happen to a brand new vehicle; but warranty took care of them.

The rear end whine has now turned into a constant roar and reading these posts causes some alarm about what is going on. Will warn tires make this roar? We still have the Michelin's and we're at almost 19K - end of life for these 20k tires so I was thinking that the tires were causing the noise. Could this be? We were intending to replace the tires very soon anyhow...

Thanks, hope someone has been through this....

BillC

Hello WhoseCadillacIsThat,
I can understand how this can pose a concern and be alarming. Have you brought this to your dealership’s attention? If you would like me to reach out to them on your behalf, please let me know. Just send me a private message including your VIN, contact information and the dealership you would like to work with. I look forward to hearing from you soon.
Katie O.
Cadillac Customer Care