: CUE Shutdown/Reboot

pkadanec
04-10-13, 02:34 PM
I have had the most curious event happen to me now, 3 times post the CUE update. All three occur after about 30 min of continuous driving on the interstate. There is nothing rough about the road (compared to other roads that I drive on) and the only constant is that i have Pandora on and cabled to an iPhone 5. CUE will just "reboot". The entire screen goes dark, including the portion of the DIC that is CUE related (I have the cluster configured for the performance view). The phone will disconnect, bluetooth will disconnect and the system will reboot. This lasts for about 30 seconds or so. Then everything will come back up just as it was, no loss of Nav (during one of the reboots i was using navigation), same place in the song i was at, bluetooth reconnects, etc.

Has anyone else experienced this?

jlukavsky
04-14-13, 10:49 PM
I have, but have experienced it losing navigation and all settings as well, pretty much have to go recustomize everything.

pkadanec
04-16-13, 10:55 AM
Any comment from codeman or anyone else at GM?

pkadanec
04-17-13, 11:28 AM
FYI an update, i have my XTS in the shop (again) to fix the "droopy headliner recall issue" among other things, and the QUE reboot is on the list. I just checked with the dealer and they have replaced my "stack" to resolve this. Kind of a drastic step, seems like throwing out the baby with the bathwater, but what do I know....

inspectorudy
04-19-13, 11:25 PM
This sounds like what my wife experienced while driving. The DIC lower display, the nav screen and all of the center controls went out for about ten minutes and then came back on. The radio played through the whole event.

pkadanec
04-22-13, 10:37 AM
This is similar to what i am experiencing, however it is a total reboot of CUE, so no audio, no phone, no NAV, etc. The dealer replaced my "stack" and i picked up the car on Thursday and went our of town this past weekend. I had CUE reboot three times during the extended drive time. This only happens after an extended period of use and the only constant is that I am using Pandora cabled to an iPhone 5. I have not tested without using Pandora, that will be the next step.

inspectorudy
04-22-13, 11:48 AM
We do not have Pandora but my wife had been on an extended 5 hour trip when her CUE shut down. Maybe there is a connection with drive time versus just shutting down on a normal in town drive.

hdrolling
05-02-13, 06:02 AM
We just got the update about a month ago and my wife only drives about 20 min to get home from work. She has already had her CUE stop working in that short distance at least three times. Once nothing worked and other times either just the top stopped displaying or just the bottom stopped working. No issues before the update and the dealer is an hour away so we are waiting for our first service which is coming up to have them look at it.
On a side note we have friends in SC that had the same car and there CUE was draining the battery preventing the car from starting, dealer couldn't resolve the issue after three attempts so they returned it for a different car.
Not what you would expect from a $53,000 car.
Other than the few issues with the CUE we love the SRX, its great on my back as I'm a 100% disabled veteran and handles awesome! Hope they get the bugs worked out soon.

pkadanec
05-03-13, 10:41 AM
UPDATE: I had my XTS in for service on this issue and some trim replacement. The service manager said he did some research and found some issue related to bluetooth phone pairing and potential CUE shutdown and reboots. He suggested that i unpair my device and try that. I have three devices paired and on the occasion when the reboot happens i have my iPhone 5 paired and active. I switched to an alternate device that i have paired which is an iPhone 4s. I have not as yet, had the reboot happen with the 4s active. I will switch back to the 5 after several more days and see if that is in fact the issue.

inspectorudy
05-03-13, 11:08 AM
Unfortunately my wife's phone is an I 4 and she had the same problem as described above.

Cadillac Cust Svc
05-03-13, 07:08 PM
UPDATE: I had my XTS in for service on this issue and some trim replacement. The service manager said he did some research and found some issue related to bluetooth phone pairing and potential CUE shutdown and reboots. He suggested that i unpair my device and try that. I have three devices paired and on the occasion when the reboot happens i have my iPhone 5 paired and active. I switched to an alternate device that i have paired which is an iPhone 4s. I have not as yet, had the reboot happen with the 4s active. I will switch back to the 5 after several more days and see if that is in fact the issue.

Hello pkadanec,

I am sorry your vehicle has been experiencing a CUE reboot when your iPhone 5 is paired. I am happy to hear the 4s has been working appropriately for you. Please keep us updated on this issue when you switch back and pair your iPhone 5 again. We are here to provide assistance, so please let us know if you have other concerns or questions.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
Cadillac Customer Service

Cadillac Cust Svc
05-04-13, 08:01 PM
We just got the update about a month ago and my wife only drives about 20 min to get home from work. She has already had her CUE stop working in that short distance at least three times. Once nothing worked and other times either just the top stopped displaying or just the bottom stopped working. No issues before the update and the dealer is an hour away so we are waiting for our first service which is coming up to have them look at it.
On a side note we have friends in SC that had the same car and there CUE was draining the battery preventing the car from starting, dealer couldn't resolve the issue after three attempts so they returned it for a different car.
Not what you would expect from a $53,000 car.
Other than the few issues with the CUE we love the SRX, its great on my back as I'm a 100% disabled veteran and handles awesome! Hope they get the bugs worked out soon.

Hello hdrolling,

I am sorry the CUE system in your SRX is giving you issues. Glad to hear besides these few issues you are loving the SRX. Please keep us updated after your dealership visit. If there are additional questions or concerns don't hesitate to ask us!

Sincerely,

Laura M.

pkadanec
05-06-13, 09:58 AM
Laura, I have switched back and will let you know the outcome. i have not been in the vehicle for an extended period of time to test fully.

Cadillac Cust Svc
05-06-13, 03:56 PM
Laura, I have switched back and will let you know the outcome. i have not been in the vehicle for an extended period of time to test fully.

Sounds good pkadanec. I hope everything works out fine this time!

Sincerely,

Laura M.

ChristinaMarie
05-28-13, 09:21 PM
Hello:

I have owned my Cadillac ATS for three days and tonight on the highway CUE went completely dark and shut down. I called the dealer while still mobile and the service department said they've never heard of this. I pulled over, shut down the car, restarted it, but CUE was still dark, as were all the system controls (eg, air conditioning) on the same stack. No reboot. It's a little frightening to have the center stack suddenly shut off while driving. I would love an explanation from Cadillac, along with an effective fix and maybe a tranquilizer.

Cadillac Cust Svc
05-29-13, 08:16 AM
Hello:

I have owned my Cadillac ATS for three days and tonight on the highway CUE went completely dark and shut down. I called the dealer while still mobile and the service department said they've never heard of this. I pulled over, shut down the car, restarted it, but CUE was still dark, as were all the system controls (eg, air conditioning) on the same stack. No reboot. It's a little frightening to have the center stack suddenly shut off while driving. I would love an explanation from Cadillac, along with an effective fix and maybe a tranquilizer.

Hello ChristinaMarie,

I am sorry your CUE completely shut down on you while driving. Congrats on your new Cadillac! Besides your symptoms with the CUE, I hope you are enjoying it so far. Has the dealer performed the CUE update for your vehicle yet?

Regards,

Laura M.

Hoosier Daddy
05-29-13, 08:59 AM
Congrats on your new Cadillac! Besides your symptoms with the CUE, I hope you are enjoying it so far.
I know what you mean Laura, but for some reason that reminded me of "other than that, how did you like the play, Mrs. Lincoln".

Going dark is not good but, Christina, was CUE actually doing anything at the time (e.g. playing music, navigating, handling a call, etc.)? The reason I ask is that CUE has a dark (blank screen) option. Obviously you did not select that option so something is wrong but if it went into that mode rather than completely died, you may be able to get back to working by just hitting the home button. Not likely but worth a shot if it happens again before a real fix has happened.

Cadillac Cust Svc
05-29-13, 11:11 AM
I know what you mean Laura, but for some reason that reminded me of "other than that, how did you like the play, Mrs. Lincoln".

Going dark is not good but, Christina, was CUE actually doing anything at the time (e.g. playing music, navigating, handling a call, etc.)? The reason I ask is that CUE has a dark (blank screen) option. Obviously you did not select that option so something is wrong but if it went into that mode rather than completely died, you may be able to get back to working by just hitting the home button. Not likely but worth a shot if it happens again before a real fix has happened.

Hi Hoosier Daddy and ChristinaMarie,

I apologize for if what I stated, sounded like that. I understand the CUE system going blank like that is frustrating and not a good sign. I wanted to congratulate on the new vehicle purchase and see if the CUE update was performed yet or not. If anyone would like to discuss their concerns or questions, please reach out to me via private message so I can further assist!

Regards,

Laura M.

Hoosier Daddy
05-29-13, 11:27 AM
Hi Hoosier Daddy,
I apologize for if what I stated, sounded like that.
No. It didn't sound like that. It just reminded me of that old joke because of the sentence structure and theme. No apologies necessary. In fact, thanks for the chuckle. I think you and your team do a great job!

inspectorudy
05-29-13, 03:35 PM
My wife's '13 SRX did the same thing for about ten minutes although the car kept running. There was no center function at all, radio, A/C, etc. Then everything came back all at once. Its never happened again.

CDN XTS
05-29-13, 04:48 PM
Hello:

I have owned my Cadillac ATS for three days and tonight on the highway CUE went completely dark and shut down. I called the dealer while still mobile and the service department said they've never heard of this. I pulled over, shut down the car, restarted it, but CUE was still dark, as were all the system controls (eg, air conditioning) on the same stack. No reboot. It's a little frightening to have the center stack suddenly shut off while driving. I would love an explanation from Cadillac, along with an effective fix and maybe a tranquilizer.Christina, While I did not have your problem, I once lost voice control, and shutting off the car and restarting it did not fix it either, but shutting off the car and actually LEAVING the car (i.e. moved the keyfob outside the car) and then getting back in and restarting it did the trick. That's not to say that "going dark" or "loosing Voice control" for no specific reason is any good.

pkadanec
05-30-13, 09:03 AM
As from my original post (the subject for this thread), this issue still occurs for me. I have targeted the relationship between the iPhone 5, bluetooth and this issue. My dealer actually tipped me off to this as a potential cause. I tested with my iPhone 4s paired and i could not replicate the issue (at least not yet). Still waiting for a response from GM. I still find it amazing that there is no debug information or log file created when the system reboots (because of an obvious fault). The dealer said that unless they are jacked into the matrix and monitoring when this happens, they cannot reproduce it (duh!). i think the ability to put the system into "debug mode" would make sense. Comments, Cadillac??? Anyone, Bueller?

vi2k13
07-17-13, 06:19 PM
Reviving this thread after 2.5 months of inactivity.

This happened on my 2013 SRX three times during the past month the last being today. On previous two occasions it happened while driving but today it was when I started the car.

Has anyone here had this issue fixed?

Thanks!

pkadanec
07-18-13, 09:53 AM
No, it has not been "fixed" for me however I was just on an extended trip and i used CUE extensively in the configuration that i have noted above and did not have any occurrences. I did have the dealer open a case with Cadillac technical support so the issue can be logged. Since it just mysteriously "stopped" i am NOT confident that it will not reoccur. I will keep you posted via this thread.

vi2k13
07-18-13, 05:32 PM
No, it has not been "fixed" for me however I was just on an extended trip and i used CUE extensively in the configuration that i have noted above and did not have any occurrences. I did have the dealer open a case with Cadillac technical support so the issue can be logged. Since it just mysteriously "stopped" i am NOT confident that it will not reoccur. I will keep you posted via this thread.

Thanks, pkadanec!

I called my dealer and GM Canada but not much help.

Canadians cannot contact CUE Hotline directly so we have to go thru Cadillac Customer Care.

inspectorudy
07-18-13, 10:12 PM
Folks, we are at the 2013 halfway point of our CUE cars and we are about to be put into the dustbin of GM history. There will be no further "Big" changes in the system we have now. They will offer us some techno solutions to individual problems but the big fix is not going to happen. I have been a US auto owner too long to believe that they are going to waste money on present owners. All of their effort will go into the newer models and any big changes will come at that point. GM is selling a lot of cars right now so there is no impetus to right this wrong that they sold us. This is not sour grapes but only a reflection of the history of Detroit and its relationship with the American car buying public. This is not to denigrate the great dealers that we all know but only a big business policy by GM that when you get right down to it makes sense. We fell for their sales pitch and in the US car buyers market that is all you get. I know I felt like I was part of something new and great and was looking forward to the updates that we all knew were coming. They're not coming. We will get maintainence that we are owed and they will show you the newer model and how they "Fixed" the bugs we have but we are wiser now and will not be fooled again so easily. I only wish that my favorite car company understood that in this world of fake and ephemeral visions that we could believe in anything that they told us.

georule
10-08-13, 01:49 PM
Had my 2013 SRX for two months, and one extended trip (3k miles on the trip, 4.5k miles total so far). It came with the updated version of CUE already installed. Have had four reboots, all while navigating. It's annoying when navigating, because the minute or so it takes to come back can mean a missed turn or interchange.

I gather the CUE team is not currently acknowledging this as a known issue, so I guess I'll flag it to my dealer when I schedule my first oil change and see what they do about it.

It does seem to me to be much more likely to be software than hardware, but if they want to replace the stack, that's up to them.

Cadillac Cust Svc
10-08-13, 02:57 PM
Had my 2013 SRX for two months, and one extended trip (3k miles on the trip, 4.5k miles total so far). It came with the updated version of CUE already installed. Have had four reboots, all while navigating. It's annoying when navigating, because the minute or so it takes to come back can mean a missed turn or interchange.

I gather the CUE team is not currently acknowledging this as a known issue, so I guess I'll flag it to my dealer when I schedule my first oil change and see what they do about it.

It does seem to me to be much more likely to be software than hardware, but if they want to replace the stack, that's up to them.

Hello georule,

I am sorry for any trouble you experience when your CUE system reboots. I understand your frustration when you need the navigation to work. If you would like our assistance while working with the dealer, please let us know. Contact us via private message. We are more than happy to help.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
Cadillac Customer Care

pkadanec
10-09-13, 09:19 AM
Laura, what would be helpful is if someone from the CUE support team could respond on this forum with any information on the status. The dealer's do not have the expertise in this area.

inspectorudy
10-09-13, 11:37 AM
I think that is a great idea to have ALL responses from GM placed on this forum. I still don't get PM's to members who have problems with CUE on this forum. Some may have the same problem but due to life's time shortages simply don't make an issue of it. If we see an issue with someone else that is like one we might have then we will obtain the knowledge without having to make a separate case and inquiry about it. Also, it would be nice if someone like Codeman could regularly comment here on things that they are working on and fixes or improvements in the works.

georule
10-09-13, 03:43 PM
Hello georule,

I am sorry for any trouble you experience when your CUE system reboots. I understand your frustration when you need the navigation to work. If you would like our assistance while working with the dealer, please let us know. Contact us via private message. We are more than happy to help.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
Cadillac Customer Care

Would you recommend I give the dealer a shot first, or talk to you first?

I was mostly hoping to find out here if this is a known software issue the CUE team is working on. I can't say I've gotten a definitive answer on that point. Yes, it could be individual hardware in individual vehicles (bad memory, faulty cpu, overheating, something like that), but as a longtime computer geek I would much more suspect a software issue (memory leak overflowing and corrupting the OS or something of that nature --sort of the auto equivalent of the infamous Microsoft Blue Screen of Death) --and thus something the CUE team needs to address and no amount of switching out of individual stacks in individual cars will cure it long-term.

But I don't know for sure which it is, and I was hoping your contacts would. :)

Cadillac Cust Svc
10-09-13, 04:16 PM
Would you recommend I give the dealer a shot first, or talk to you first?

I was mostly hoping to find out here if this is a known software issue the CUE team is working on. I can't say I've gotten a definitive answer on that point. Yes, it could be individual hardware in individual vehicles (bad memory, faulty cpu, overheating, something like that), but as a longtime computer geek I would much more suspect a software issue (memory leak overflowing and corrupting the OS or something of that nature --sort of the auto equivalent of the infamous Microsoft Blue Screen of Death) --and thus something the CUE team needs to address and no amount of switching out of individual stacks in individual cars will cure it long-term.

But I don't know for sure which it is, and I was hoping your contacts would. :)

Hello georule,

I understand your concern for resolving this issue. I documented your feedback and current concerns with your CUE system. We rely on our dealerships as our eyes and ears in the field, so I recommend bringing your vehicle in for a diagnosis at your earliest convenience. Your dealer has a working relation with GM, in which they can reach out to additional resources for help if needed. If you would like me to set up a dealer appointment for you, please let me know. I can be contacted via private message and am more than happy to help!

Sincerely,

Laura M.
Cadillac Customer Care

georule
10-09-13, 04:41 PM
I think I'll try it on my own first and see how that goes, Laura M. :) Thanks for the offer.

Not to criticize you personally, but it ought to be possible for folks like you to have visibility into what the team acknowledges is a known issue that's still WIP (work in progress) and communicate that fact back to us, the owners. Your answers simply haven't addressed whether that is the case with this issue.

I do value that you documented it, and presumably the team will see the report, so if it isn't being actively worked on by them, at least I've added another grain of sand on the scale that may result in them researching, discovering, acknowledging, and then fixing the issue. I've been a software developer for 30 years. I know and respect how that process works, particularly with issues that are not reliably replicated on demand by a specific set of actions (those are the easy ones). The random ones are a PITA for everybody, users and software engineers --believe me, I get it.

But why it is important for us as customers to know if the Team "knows about it and is working the issue" is if we know that is the case, we out here can relax a little about jumping up and down and waving our hands around trying to get them to focus on it. Maybe some customers don't care about what they see as "excuses" and just keep jumping and waving for all they are worth until the fix is developed and deployed. Others of us have some patience with the realities of software development and maintenance and would appreciate being able to "stand down" temporarily and let the Team work on it for awhile. . .but only if we know they *are* working on it. Otherwise we're left out here flailing, not knowing if it is unnecessary to do so.

Cadillac Cust Svc
10-09-13, 05:23 PM
I think I'll try it on my own first and see how that goes, Laura M. :) Thanks for the offer.

Not to criticize you personally, but it ought to be possible for folks like you to have visibility into what the team acknowledges is a known issue that's still WIP (work in progress) and communicate that fact back to us, the owners. Your answers simply haven't addressed whether that is the case with this issue.

I do value that you documented it, and presumably the team will see the report, so if it isn't being actively worked on by them, at least I've added another grain of sand on the scale that may result in them researching, discovering, acknowledging, and then fixing the issue. I've been a software developer for 30 years. I know and respect how that process works, particularly with issues that are not reliably replicated on demand by a specific set of actions (those are the easy ones). The random ones are a PITA for everybody, users and software engineers --believe me, I get it.

But why it is important for us as customers to know if the Team "knows about it and is working the issue" is if we know that is the case, we out here can relax a little about jumping up and down and waving our hands around trying to get them to focus on it. Maybe some customers don't care about what they see as "excuses" and just keep jumping and waving for all they are worth until the fix is developed and deployed. Others of us have some patience with the realities of software development and maintenance and would appreciate being able to "stand down" temporarily and let the Team work on it for awhile. . .but only if we know they *are* working on it. Otherwise we're left out here flailing, not knowing if it is unnecessary to do so.

You are more than welcome, georule. I am here to assist! I appreciate your patience and understanding of how the team works. If you would like to reach out to another source, the CUE Customer Support Group, their phone number is 855-428-3669.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
Cadillac Customer Care

georule
10-09-13, 11:13 PM
You are more than welcome, georule. I am here to assist! I appreciate your patience and understanding of how the team works. If you would like to reach out to another source, the CUE Customer Support Group, their phone number is 855-428-3669.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
Cadillac Customer Care

Thank you. I may give that a try.

georule
10-10-13, 02:09 PM
Just got off the phone with Amanda at the CUE team. She took the issue, and is passing it on to the next level, and expects a response from the tech team tomorrow or Monday. She said she'll call me back no later than Monday, but may call tomorrow if she has something by then. She's also sending me an email with a case number and contact info.

Certainly it didn't sound like something she personally had run across yet, and her first pass at the issues database didn't kick up obvious matches. I floated the USB vs SD card (for music storage) theory that someone on the other thread put forward, and she didn't feel that was likely to be causing the issue. Hard to say with "level 1" support types tho just how much in-depth expertise/experience they have. Which is not to criticize or speculate, just my own experience.

She was pleasant and helpful, and we'll see where this goes.

I asked if we should be expecting a new software drop soon, and it was her opinion there was not a new one imminent, that they prefer to bundle a bunch of stuff together at once rather than doing smaller code drops. That's understandable, as it is obviously a major effort to get everyone upgraded when it has to be done thru the dealers. At any rate, don't hold your breath for a new software version relatively soon. She did mention something about they can do specific fixes, but it wasn't clear to me how those get distributed (individual vehicles? Dunno).

Cadillac Cust Svc
10-10-13, 02:12 PM
Thank you. I may give that a try.

Hello georule,

You are welcome. I see you already contacted the CUE team in regards to your concern. I will continue to be on the lookout for any updates you post.

Regards,

Laura M.
Cadillac Customer Care

georule
10-12-13, 12:31 AM
Amanda from the Infotainment team called back today. She reports that the tech team got back to her and there are no open bulletins or reports on the random reboot issue. She wants me to let her know when I schedule a service at my dealer so she can get a report from them on what, if anything, they find.

The hope is the system stored some kind of error code/log when it did the reboots. If it did, they'll have something to work with. If it didn't. . . . it's very hard to chase down errors that cannot be reliably replicated with a specific set of actions and also store no error information when they do happen randomly. Which is true, if unsatisfying for all involved.

I'm about due for my first oil change, so I'll probably be going in to the dealer in the next few weeks. I will ask them to look at CUE as well for my random reboot problem at that time, and inform them that the Infotainment team is looking forward to hearing about what they find.

bpadula
10-12-13, 11:07 AM
With only 500 miles on the car and CUE update installed, I experienced my first CUE shutdown/reboot while freeway driving from San Diego to Palm Springs. I was about 40 minutes into the drive with Pandora playing, Galaxy S3 paired and route guidance active. Without notice the system shutdown and a couple of minutes later resumed guidance but would not update "miles to destination". With all the posts regarding this issue here and elsewhere, it is disconcerting Cadillac will not acknowledge the issue and state they are working on it. Statistically, given the randomness of this occurrence, all CUE systems likely have the problem whether they experience it or not.

georule
10-12-13, 02:32 PM
With only 500 miles on the car and CUE update installed, I experienced my first CUE shutdown/reboot while freeway driving from San Diego to Palm Springs. I was about 40 minutes into the drive with Pandora playing, Galaxy S3 paired and route guidance active. Without notice the system shutdown and a couple of minutes later resumed guidance but would not update "miles to destination". With all the posts regarding this issue here and elsewhere, it is disconcerting Cadillac will not acknowledge the issue and state they are working on it. Statistically, given the randomness of this occurrence, all CUE systems likely have the problem whether they experience it or not.

Call the number upstream and lodge a report. I know it takes a little time and effort, but I honestly believe they care, and it is up to us to provide them with enough data points to know it is happening regularly to a variety of owners and get on the trail of what is causing it.

Cadillac Cust Svc
10-12-13, 09:18 PM
Amanda from the Infotainment team called back today. She reports that the tech team got back to her and there are no open bulletins or reports on the random reboot issue. She wants me to let her know when I schedule a service at my dealer so she can get a report from them on what, if anything, they find.

The hope is the system stored some kind of error code/log when it did the reboots. If it did, they'll have something to work with. If it didn't. . . . it's very hard to chase down errors that cannot be reliably replicated with a specific set of actions and also store no error information when they do happen randomly. Which is true, if unsatisfying for all involved.

I'm about due for my first oil change, so I'll probably be going in to the dealer in the next few weeks. I will ask them to look at CUE as well for my random reboot problem at that time, and inform them that the Infotainment team is looking forward to hearing about what they find.
Hello georule,

Thanks for keeping us updated! I am glad to hear that Amanda is being thorough and following up with you in regards to this concern. Please keep us updated as well when you visit the dealership for this concern and your oil change. Laura and I will be on the lookout for your future posts. Thank you very much for your time.

Gregory W.
Cadillac Customer Care

----------

Hello bpadula,

I am sorry to hear that you experienced your CUE shutdown and reboot while driving on the freeway recently. If you would like to make an appointment to have your service department look into the issue to see if there is anything they would be able to find, I would be happy to assist you and document those concerns. Please feel free to private message me or send me an email to socialmedia@gm.com with the subject line as “ATTN GREG” so it gets delivered straight to me. Thank you very much for your time.

Gregory W.
Cadillac Customer Care

pkadanec
10-13-13, 02:21 PM
There is no debug information stored, nor is there any debug mode that CUE can be placed in. Not sure how GM would ever intend on resolving any user issues....

----------

There is a correlation between Pandora and a paired device. I thought it might be limited to a particular iPhone model, but it appears that it effects Android as well.

georule
11-11-13, 07:30 PM
So, I took the 2013 SRX Luxury in for service this morning. The usual oil change, plus adding the foglight kit, plus looking at my CUE reboot problem.

About 4 pm I got a call. . . come on in and we'll give you a loaner. A very pleasant 2013 XTS, and not the base model either. Many of the same controls and features (aaaah, heated steering wheel!) as my SRX. So no complaints there, at least until it snows (not supposed to snow this week).

Foglamp kit went on with no problem. Then I gather they tried to reload the CUE software in hopes that might address the reboot problem. And now CUE is dead, dead, dead. As we say in the computer world, "it's bricked" (because that's the only thing it can be used for). They can't get it to show any screen of any kind, even after being on the service hotline to GM for an hour.

So we'll see if they can re-animate it tomorrow, or if the next step is replacing the hardware entirely. Only speculation at this point if this has something to do with the original reboot problem, but it might --could be the hardware (CPU or power supply, most likely) was faulty and grinding away at a software reload pushed it over the edge to total failure.

pkadanec
11-12-13, 09:42 AM
If you look at the original post in this thread that I started you will see that is my suspicion as well. Whenecer my system reboots the common factor is that the Pandora app is active. It is distressing that the QUE team had no previous reports of this since I brought this to the dealers attention on several visits. They assured my that they had opened an incident with GM.

georule
11-12-13, 12:33 PM
Service called back this morning --Cadillac has instructed them to pull the plug on the original unit and install a new one, which will take another day to get. So I get another two days with the XTS (which is no hardship). This should make for an interesting test, to see if I have any more random reboots with the new unit.

Cadillac Cust Svc
11-12-13, 02:58 PM
Service called back this morning --Cadillac has instructed them to pull the plug on the original unit and install a new one, which will take another day to get. So I get another two days with the XTS (which is no hardship). This should make for an interesting test, to see if I have any more random reboots with the new unit.

Hello georule,

I appreciate you taking the time to update the thread. I apologize for the inconvenience you've been dealing with while having the dealer resolve your CUE system. Gregory and I will continue to look for additional updates. Don't hesitate to contact us if you would like to further discuss anything.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
Cadillac Customer Care

georule
11-12-13, 03:03 PM
Amanda from the Infotainment Team just called. She spoke with the dealer service people as well. She's of the opinion that probably my hardware was faulty, and it's just as well that the unit failed while the dealer was stressing it with an update, as that resulted in its early replacement. Better now than months of chasing intermittent problems that can't be replicated on demand by the service folks.

She also said that the team would get my original unit back from the dealer and look it over for why it failed.

So, hopefully this will be the end of it. . . . (we'll see!). We're planning another long driving trip (2,000+ miles) at the end of December, which will serve as a good test of whether the new unit exhibits the same behavior.

pkadanec
11-13-13, 12:47 PM
I can tell you that the reboot issue is NOT defective hardware. I have had my head end unit replaced. This is a software bug.

Cadillac Cust Svc
11-13-13, 02:16 PM
Amanda from the Infotainment Team just called. She spoke with the dealer service people as well. She's of the opinion that probably my hardware was faulty, and it's just as well that the unit failed while the dealer was stressing it with an update, as that resulted in its early replacement. Better now than months of chasing intermittent problems that can't be replicated on demand by the service folks.

She also said that the team would get my original unit back from the dealer and look it over for why it failed.

So, hopefully this will be the end of it. . . . (we'll see!). We're planning another long driving trip (2,000+ miles) at the end of December, which will serve as a good test of whether the new unit exhibits the same behavior.

Hello georule,

That’s great to hear that Amanda has been very active in your case. I am also glad that our team will be doing some additional research on your original unit. Thank you for keeping us all updated and please let us know how your trip in the end of December goes! We will be on the lookout for your future updates!

Gregory W.
Cadillac Customer Care

georule
11-14-13, 11:19 AM
I can tell you that the reboot issue is NOT defective hardware. I have had my head end unit replaced. This is a software bug.

It could be caused by both, of course. A random reboot is a sign of a catastrophic failure somewhere in the system --but the "where" isn't necessarily the same in all cases. I had five in less than three months.

In my mind, entirely speculative but based on 30 years of working with computers, I keep coming back to heat buildup caused by intense multi-tasking over time. Like running the navigation and .mp3/.mp4/whatever decoding simultaneously for an extended period of time. There is variation in individual cpus and individual memory modules as to tolerance to heat --computer overclockers can go on about the subject at length. This would explain why it happens to some units and not others, and could lead eventually to total system failure (which my unit has now failed). It might also indicate a need to beef-up heatsinks or fans or radiators or whatever inside the unit.

For instance, I used Nero to rip my CDs and let it do what it wanted --and it made .mp4 instead of .mp3. .mp4 is more cpu intensive to decode than .mp3. Did that play a role in my particular case? If it was heat-related, then maybe.

But that's a seat of the pants analysis, and could be completely wrong, or only apply to a minority of cases. A memory leak/overflow (i.e. software) would also have cumulative build-up during an extended multi-tasking session resulting in catastrophic failure (random reboot), and would also fit the available facts (tho generally wouldn't result in eventual total system failure as happened to me).

georule
11-18-13, 02:01 PM
Got my SRX back today (after a week and a new CUE unit).

Tech notes say "Found DTC's u0029 and u0184 set in multiple modules"

These are error codes that indicate in the first case "Vehicle Communication Bus A Performance" and in the second case "Lost Communication With Radio". I don't know that those are terribly helpful in providing them hints on where to look for the ultimate cause, but at least they would show it isn't all in the customer's head. . .

georule
11-25-13, 12:31 AM
So today was my first extended drive using navigation (while simultaneously playing music from a USB stick) with the new CUE unit that my local dealer installed last week.

We were going to a restaurant about 40 mins away. We were within a few miles of it, when I turned a little too quick at a junction of several roads, and the nav should have recalculated the route. First it almost-not-quite-froze. Slowed way down (like I drove 1/4 mile on the new street and the nav updated from turn in 150 ft to turn in 120 ft). . . and then bang. . . screen went black, unit rebooted, blew away the USB music index entirely (it started playing one song from the lowest alphabetic named artist over and over again). It did resume the navigation automatically at least without having to re-enter the destination address once it completed rebooting.

So, it wasn't the original unit having a one-off problem as far as my experience indicates.

I'll send an email to Amanda at the Infotainment Team with this newest experience (#6 reboot in three months, #1 on this CUE unit). All happened while navigation and music decoding was happening simultaneously. . . and I *think* all happened when the nav was actually trying to "do something" like give verbal directions and/or recalculate the route.

georule
11-26-13, 04:37 PM
Heard back from Amanda at the Infotainment Team. They wanted to know if I was open to trying a different device that was 16GB or smaller (currently using a 32GB USB) and see if any difference was made. I ordered a 16GB SDHC Class 10 from Transcend to give that a try, since my music collection is about 9GB. They were more concerned about the size of the storage than interface type (USB vs SD). Switching USB to SD opens up another recharging option for me, so I thought I'd go that route.

My impression is this is speculative and hunting around for data points on the team's part, rather than a definitive "do this and it'll work" kind of thing. But they likely have some reason to think it might make a difference.

A good 16GB SDHC card only cost me $12.99 on Amazon, and is still big enough for my music collection (I understand that would not be true for everyone reading this), so I'm willing to play guinea pig on this one and see what happens.

inspectorudy
11-27-13, 12:40 AM
So the GM team can't buy a 16 GB card and try it themselves? Huh? They never tried this before talking to you?

off1c3r
11-27-13, 02:11 AM
Heard back from Amanda at the Infotainment Team. They wanted to know if I was open to trying a different device that was 16GB or smaller (currently using a 32GB USB) and see if any difference was made. I ordered a 16GB SDHC Class 10 from Transcend to give that a try, since my music collection is about 9GB. They were more concerned about the size of the storage than interface type (USB vs SD). Switching USB to SD opens up another recharging option for me, so I thought I'd go that route.

My impression is this is speculative and hunting around for data points on the team's part, rather than a definitive "do this and it'll work" kind of thing. But they likely have some reason to think it might make a difference.

A good 16GB SDHC card only cost me $12.99 on Amazon, and is still big enough for my music collection (I understand that would not be true for everyone reading this), so I'm willing to play guinea pig on this one and see what happens.

I mentioned this on another thread, but using certain USB sticks in my 2011 CTS would at random cause the nav screen to freeze, all directions to stop, music to stop, and radio controls to stop working. Unless you turned off the car, there was no way to reboot the system. I had to wait it out until the head unit restarted and then it worked again. Problems went away after changing USB sticks. The USB stick in question was only 4GB. I tried two of the same model, both fresh formats in FAT32 and NTFS and I still had the issue until I changed it.

georule
11-27-13, 11:19 AM
I mentioned this on another thread, but using certain USB sticks in my 2011 CTS would at random cause the nav screen to freeze, all directions to stop, music to stop, and radio controls to stop working. Unless you turned off the car, there was no way to reboot the system. I had to wait it out until the head unit restarted and then it worked again. Problems went away after changing USB sticks. The USB stick in question was only 4GB. I tried two of the same model, both fresh formats in FAT32 and NTFS and I still had the issue until I changed it.

Well, we'll see!

The downside to SD is the interface itself is slower for folks with thousands of songs that need indexing. I'm middlin' at about 3,300 songs. Class 10 SDHC is 10 MB/s, but read speeds on better USB 2.0 memory sticks are 2+ that fast. But then the interface speed may not be the limiter in indexing speed anyway.

Towards the end of next month I'll be taking a 2,000 mile driving trip with the nav+digital music going the whole way, so it'll be a good test. The last time I did that (tho it was over 3k miles that time), two weeks after I bought the car, it rebooted three times on the trip.

Janeiowa
11-27-13, 07:31 PM
I have my SRX back after a week at the dealership. The new CUE didn't arrive when they'd expected it, so it was just yesterday that they called and said it was ready. So, the loaner Chevy went back and I got my car. I've not driven it a lot since yesterday, but so far, so good.

I hope Cadillac has found whatever the problem is and resolved the issue of my CUE just going black at random.

Cadillac Cust Svc
12-03-13, 10:14 AM
I have my SRX back after a week at the dealership. The new CUE didn't arrive when they'd expected it, so it was just yesterday that they called and said it was ready. So, the loaner Chevy went back and I got my car. I've not driven it a lot since yesterday, but so far, so good.

I hope Cadillac has found whatever the problem is and resolved the issue of my CUE just going black at random.
Hello Janeiowa,

I apologize that the CUE system didn’t arrive when they expected it would. I am glad to hear that they replaced your CUE system to address this concern. Have you experienced the concern further since you have had your vehicle back?

Gregory W.
Cadillac Customer Care

Janeiowa
12-03-13, 12:07 PM
Gregory...I haven't driven it much...just around town and not at night, so I don't know if the top of the CUE changes to night mode and dims as I understand it's supposed to.

Is it true, as I was told by a fellow 2014 SRX owner here in this little town, that GM/ Cadillac is doing a total redo/update/fix of the CUE software nationwide before Christmas? Has anyone else here heard this info?

Cadillac Cust Svc
12-04-13, 02:00 PM
Gregory...I haven't driven it much...just around town and not at night, so I don't know if the top of the CUE changes to night mode and dims as I understand it's supposed to.

Is it true, as I was told by a fellow 2014 SRX owner here in this little town, that GM/ Cadillac is doing a total redo/update/fix of the CUE software nationwide before Christmas? Has anyone else here heard this info?

Hello Janeiowa,

Please let me know if you do experience the concern again and keep us updated when you do drive it around at night. I have reached out to an internal resource of mine regarding a CUE update, but I haven’t gotten a response back as of yet. We are usually not made aware of updates or changes until the day they are rolled out.

Gregory W.
Cadillac Customer Care

georule
12-25-13, 07:20 AM
Had four reboots yesterday in 600 miles of driving, the first one just fifteen minutes after I left home. Navigation was running 100% of the time.

After the third one, I switched from playing digital music off my SD card to playing Sirius XM radio in a bid to not have any more. Still had a fourth one while navigating and listening to Sirius XM.

So now I'm thinking the music may not be a factor at all, and whatever the problem is entirely based in the navigation system.

Janeiowa
12-25-13, 08:05 AM
Have driven 750 + miles in the last couple of days, with the XM and navigation on full time, and not a single "black out" since the CUE system was totally replaced with a new unit by the dealer. Before the replacement, the CUE would go black 3-4 times in a 70 mile trip and need to be turned back on.

georule
12-25-13, 09:39 PM
300 miles navigation + digital music today, one reboot. So five in two days.

They replaced my unit too, but it doesn't seem to have helped.

Cadillac Cust Svc
12-27-13, 01:59 PM
Had four reboots yesterday in 600 miles of driving, the first one just fifteen minutes after I left home. Navigation was running 100% of the time.

After the third one, I switched from playing digital music off my SD card to playing Sirius XM radio in a bid to not have any more. Still had a fourth one while navigating and listening to Sirius XM.

So now I'm thinking the music may not be a factor at all, and whatever the problem is entirely based in the navigation system.
Hello georule,

I apologize that you have had four more reboots happen since you posted last. Have you contacted Amanda on our Infotainment team about your recent concerns?

Gregory W.
Cadillac Customer Care

----------

Have driven 750 + miles in the last couple of days, with the XM and navigation on full time, and not a single "black out" since the CUE system was totally replaced with a new unit by the dealer. Before the replacement, the CUE would go black 3-4 times in a 70 mile trip and need to be turned back on.
Hello Janeiowa,

I am happy to hear that the replacement of your CUE system has helped and that you have not experienced the concern again. Thanks for keeping us updated and please continue to do so if the concern happens again.

Gregory W.
Cadillac Customer Care

georule
12-30-13, 11:53 PM
Hello georule,

I apologize that you have had four more reboots happen since you posted last. Have you contacted Amanda on our Infotainment team about your recent concerns?

Gregory W.
Cadillac Customer Care[COLOR="Silver"]

I was travelling without access to my usual email store, so not yet. But I'm home now, and will be doing so shortly.

2,100 miles, about 1/2 of them the last two days. Had another, I dunno, six or more (above and beyond the ones mentioned upstream) the last two days.

Interestingly, one of them occurred while listening to Sirius XM (instead of music off my SD card). Tho satellite music still is digital and must be decoded. So I switched to regular old terrestrial radio. . .and had two more.

I'm now convinced that at least in my case, it is really all about the navigation bombing out. That when it does, it takes whatever else with it. . .but it isn't those other things that are really contributing to the problem. It's just the navigation doing it.

On the ironic humor front. . . I know that Cadillac is not responsible for my music collection, but when CUE reboots, every time my Cadillac SRX sings "Little" Jimmy Dickens (yes the quote marks are part of his name in the index, so he sorts first) song "May the Bird of Paradise Fly Up Your Nose!" to me. Ouch! Insult to injury. :)

Cadillac Cust Svc
12-31-13, 01:42 PM
I was travelling without access to my usual email store, so not yet. But I'm home now, and will be doing so shortly.

2,100 miles, about 1/2 of them the last two days. Had another, I dunno, six or more (above and beyond the ones mentioned upstream) the last two days.

Interestingly, one of them occurred while listening to Sirius XM (instead of music off my SD card). Tho satellite music still is digital and must be decoded. So I switched to regular old terrestrial radio. . .and had two more.

I'm now convinced that at least in my case, it is really all about the navigation bombing out. That when it does, it takes whatever else with it. . .but it isn't those other things that are really contributing to the problem. It's just the navigation doing it.

On the ironic humor front. . . I know that Cadillac is not responsible for my music collection, but when CUE reboots, every time my Cadillac SRX sings "Little" Jimmy Dickens (yes the quote marks are part of his name in the index, so he sorts first) song "May the Bird of Paradise Fly Up Your Nose!" to me. Ouch! Insult to injury. :)

Hello georule,

I definitely apologize that you have had this happen multiple times more. I am glad to hear that you have tried other instances as well such as while listening to XM and regular radio. Knowing that this happens on these as well might assist Amanda in documenting this concern. I hope that they are able to assist you further when you reach out to her again. Thank you very much for taking the time to keep us updated and I apologize that the music is adding insult to injury! I hope you have a happy new year and I will be sure to be on the lookout for your future posts.

Gregory W.
Cadillac Customer Care

georule
12-31-13, 05:00 PM
Amanda and I have been back and forth today by email, and she set up a service appointment for me at the local dealer this next Monday. Maybe being more focused on just the navigation system this time will produce different results than the last time. We'll see.

atsguy2
01-01-14, 06:19 PM

This is very interesting. As I posted in another thread, I attempted to take delivery of a '14 AWD Premium ATS on Monday. As the sales guy was giving me the final "tour" or the car - the CUE system started freezing up. No audio, no HVAC control, could not turn it off or go to the home screen. Just frozen. We rebooted the car a few times with no luck. It would work for a while but then would freeze. The car is still there and they will hit it hard in the morning to figure out. What is interesting about your story is that when I think back on the things we did that led up to the failure - we set the navigation to take me back to my house. I wonder if you are on to something with the Navi. My symptoms are a bit different and the system has not been able to recover even with nothing programmed for Navi - but it is an interesting tidbit. I plan on calling the CUE line in the morning and letting them know the car is still at the dealer and maybe they can help them. Kind of sucks when you buy a car and never get to enjoy it the first day! I am driving an "old" 2013 ATS. :)

georule
01-02-14, 11:08 AM
The navigation does not come with the base model and cannot be added, and is only "optional" on Luxury (which is what I have). Standard on Performance and Premium. So likely a minority of SRX have it. Plus it would have to be integrated (when present) with the rest of CUE. Which certainly presents more opportunities for there to be issues facing only a minority of SRX owners with less visibility to Cadillac those issues exist and greater challenges in identifying and fixing them, working with the other vendor that supplies the nav system.

inspectorudy
01-02-14, 12:31 PM
georule, can you explain your last comment? I read it and then re-read it but cannot make any sense of it. Every person that I know that has an SRX has NAV and my dealer doesn't have one without it. I would think that Cadillac would know about the CUE problems no matter the model of the car. Like I said in another comment I am driving a 2014 ATS loaner with CUE and it is twice as fast as the CUE in my '13 SRX. Maybe there is something to look forward to after all.

Cadillac Cust Svc
01-02-14, 02:17 PM
Amanda and I have been back and forth today by email, and she set up a service appointment for me at the local dealer this next Monday. Maybe being more focused on just the navigation system this time will produce different results than the last time. We'll see.
Hello georule,

That is great to hear that you have been in contact with Amanda. Please keep us updated as to how the appointment goes on Monday and if you even have any trouble getting in contact with Amanda, please feel free to private message Laura or myself with your VIN and case number so we can locate your file within our system and notify her. We will definitely be on the lookout for your future posts.

Gregory W.
Cadillac Customer Care

georule
01-02-14, 03:33 PM
georule, can you explain your last comment? I read it and then re-read it but cannot make any sense of it. Every person that I know that has an SRX has NAV and my dealer doesn't have one without it. I would think that Cadillac would know about the CUE problems no matter the model of the car. Like I said in another comment I am driving a 2014 ATS loaner with CUE and it is twice as fast as the CUE in my '13 SRX. Maybe there is something to look forward to after all.

I don't know the relative distribution of models sold, it is true. But the base model does not come with Navigation, and it isn't even an option. It can be purchased optionally on the Luxury model, but is not inherently included in the sense that every Luxury model must have Navigation. It is standard on Performance and Premium. All 2013-2014 SRX have CUE. . .but not all 2013-2014 SRX have Navigation integrated into CUE.

Usually you'd expect the bottom two models to outsell the top two models because of price --but maybe Luxury is typically built with Nav as an optional upgrade even tho it *is* optional. I really don't know.

Nav, when present, is integrated with and controlled thru CUE, but there clearly is an integration process as some SRX have Navigation, and some don't, while every 2013-2014 SRX has CUE.

georule
01-08-14, 07:37 PM
So after three days in the shop, got the SRX back today. Tech notes indicate they were looking at the power system, and it was undervolting. Reference to DTC B1325 which the intertubes indicates is a system undervolt. Looks like they "severely discharged" the battery then charged it again and were happy with the results.

Also a reference to bulletin #PI1126A as having been found and possibly related and Cadillac advised them to perform whatever it said, so they did. Was not able to find anything on that with Google. Anyone here know what it is/addresses?

Also looks like they reinstalled the software again, but that might just be on general principles. :)

Anyway, fingers crossed. My big driving trips are probably done for several months now, tho I'll probably go out of my way to run the navigation even when I normally wouldn't just to see how it does.

CUE software version is 23427521 (which seems to be the same as someone reported on their new 2014 ATS). . .. tho I didn't notice any difference with icons from what was there previously on my 2013 SRX.

georule
01-09-14, 04:38 PM
Also a reference to bulletin #PI1126A as having been found and possibly related and Cadillac advised them to perform whatever it said, so they did. Was not able to find anything on that with Google. Anyone here know what it is/addresses?

Heard back from Amanda at Infotainment today. According to her, the bulletin contents are considered confidential proprietary information, which sounds strange to me given how many dealers must have access to them. Dunno if that's in general, or that one in particular.

I'm noticing I'm getting fewer "media initializing" messages when I try to do voice, and it seems like only with a paired phone, not my SD card. If I don't have the phone with, I don't get that message at all even just a few seconds after starting up the car. Straight to "State your command".

georule
01-13-14, 02:35 PM
Ah well. Trip to a restaurant about 30 miles away using Nav on Saturday. Rebooted twice in that distance on the way down, and after the second one the voice recognition no longer worked (no response from pushing the VR button on the steering wheel), and the navigation no longer provided voice guidance --just a chime when it wanted to alert that a turn was coming up. After returning to the vehicle after our meal, all was back to normal.

Notified Amanda, we'll see what they feel the "next move" should be.

inspectorudy
01-13-14, 04:57 PM
I don't know what your state has but here in GA we have a "Lemon Law" that is the last straw for lemons like yours. Do you have a relative who is an attorney?

georule
01-13-14, 06:24 PM
Under MN law they get 4 tries (unless it is the steering or brakes, where they only get one). :) They've had two so far.

Cadillac Cust Svc
01-15-14, 12:34 PM
Ah well. Trip to a restaurant about 30 miles away using Nav on Saturday. Rebooted twice in that distance on the way down, and after the second one the voice recognition no longer worked (no response from pushing the VR button on the steering wheel), and the navigation no longer provided voice guidance --just a chime when it wanted to alert that a turn was coming up. After returning to the vehicle after our meal, all was back to normal.

Notified Amanda, we'll see what they feel the "next move" should be.

Hello georule,

Thank you very much for your updates regarding your concern. I definitely apologize that this has been a reoccurring concern. I do hope that Amanda is able to assist in reaching a resolution for this. If you have any trouble getting in contact with her, please feel free to reach out to me via private message. I look forward to your future updates.

Gregory W.
Cadillac Customer Care

georule
01-15-14, 02:38 PM
Amanda said there's a new bulletin out that might apply here, so back it went to my local dealer this morning. We'll see.

The only two times we've been to that restaurant (about 30 miles away), the navigation has rebooted multiple times in the last 5 miles of the trip. The first time was before we asked the local Cadillac dealer to look at the problem the first time. The second time was after the second (obviously still unsuccessful) effort to fix it by my local dealer. When I get my SRX back, we're going back to that restaurant (happily, they have the best chicken and wild rice soup in the state!) as the test of whether it is fixed, and with a FlipHD recording the entire trip so if it happens again I'll have video & audio of it.

inspectorudy
01-15-14, 03:10 PM
Nothing like documentative evidence to help with the explanation.

georule
01-17-14, 12:27 PM
Dealer still stumped. They're keeping my SRX for the weekend and their tech is going to drive it around with the navigation running all weekend. I don't mind a few more miles on it if it actually results in them seeing it for themselves with their diagnostic computer attached.

Meanwhile, I'm going to run my own experiment. I'm taking their 2014 XTS loaner, also with CUE and Navigation, on the same route where my nav has rebooted twice before. I'll have my same phone paired to CUE, and the same store of digital music (on a different SD card since the original is still in my car, but the same group of 3,000 or so songs) along for the ride. And the wife with her FlipHD to record any problem.

What would it tell us if the XTS CUE fails too? If that happens, it would likely prove it is a software problem in some fashion due to interaction between CUE/Nav/music/phone rather than something specific to my SRX.

inspectorudy
01-17-14, 01:54 PM
It might be the restaurant where you keep going over and over!

georule
01-17-14, 03:14 PM
:)

Nah, it's happened in something like 8 different states now. . . .but the route to that restaurant is the closest thing I have so far to an easily replicatable local route where it has happened more than once (2 for 2, so far). Don't use the navigation as much locally, for obvious reasons. . . but this was a "new" restaurant for us.

georule
01-18-14, 07:54 PM
The '14 XTS CUE/Nav passed the test today with flying colors. Guess it really is just my SRX. :( I hope the tech who has my car this weekend was able to reproduce the issue, or they're going to start thinking I'm crazy.

But boy, what a difference with the FWD XTS with stock tires vs my AWD SRX with real winter tires. Couldn't get up my driveway (which is only a little uphill, not steeply) on 4" of snow until I parked the car and snowblowed the driveway.

georule
01-20-14, 11:44 AM
Talked to the tech this morning. No joy. Said he ran it around town on Sat and Sunday with different routes running in the nav and it hooked up to his diagnostic computer and it never blinked and the diagnostic computer didn't show anything unusual.

Sooooo. .. . back to square one (tho with latest/greatest CUE version installed at least), and I'm going to pick it up this afternoon. He was sympathetic about the difficulty of trying to catch this kind of computer error while happening (rather than treating me like a suspicious whack-job who is making up non-existent problems for some weird reason).

At least he was very complimentary about the handling of the car in the snow (about 4") we had Saturday morning. He said he has a FWD car with snow tires and it handles pretty well in the snow, but my AWD SRX with snow tires was "Fantastic!" --and he's right. :)

Cadillac Cust Svc
01-28-14, 12:24 PM
Talked to the tech this morning. No joy. Said he ran it around town on Sat and Sunday with different routes running in the nav and it hooked up to his diagnostic computer and it never blinked and the diagnostic computer didn't show anything unusual.

Sooooo. .. . back to square one (tho with latest/greatest CUE version installed at least), and I'm going to pick it up this afternoon. He was sympathetic about the difficulty of trying to catch this kind of computer error while happening (rather than treating me like a suspicious whack-job who is making up non-existent problems for some weird reason).

At least he was very complimentary about the handling of the car in the snow (about 4") we had Saturday morning. He said he has a FWD car with snow tires and it handles pretty well in the snow, but my AWD SRX with snow tires was "Fantastic!" --and he's right. :)

Hello georule,

I apologize that the tech wasn’t able to duplicate the concern over last weekend. I am glad to hear that the dealership was sympathetic and did not treat you like you were making this concern up. Do you have any updates for this concern after a week?

Gregory W.
Cadillac Customer Care

georule
01-28-14, 02:24 PM
Hello georule,

I apologize that the tech wasn’t able to duplicate the concern over last weekend. I am glad to hear that the dealership was sympathetic and did not treat you like you were making this concern up. Do you have any updates for this concern after a week?

Gregory W.
Cadillac Customer Care

Well, it hasn't happened again yet since I had it back anyway, and we have used the nav for a few hours on two occasions since. The new software does seem to be smoother performing (the way the nav screens moves around between detail levels and such), so maybe it'll be alright.

Going to downtown Minneapolis on Saturday, and that will be a test based on previous experience. Dense urban areas and a lot of turns seem to be one of the things that have caused the Nav to reboot the system in the past. It rebooted the last time we were downtown looking for a restaurant (but that was before the software was updated).

Next long driving trip (>1,000 miles roundtrip) where the Nav will be running 10+ hours/day probably won't be until July.

Cadillac Cust Svc
01-29-14, 12:42 PM
Well, it hasn't happened again yet since I had it back anyway, and we have used the nav for a few hours on two occasions since. The new software does seem to be smoother performing (the way the nav screens moves around between detail levels and such), so maybe it'll be alright.

Going to downtown Minneapolis on Saturday, and that will be a test based on previous experience. Dense urban areas and a lot of turns seem to be one of the things that have caused the Nav to reboot the system in the past. It rebooted the last time we were downtown looking for a restaurant (but that was before the software was updated).

Next long driving trip (>1,000 miles roundtrip) where the Nav will be running 10+ hours/day probably won't be until July.

Hello georule,

Thank you for the update. I understand how it can be frustrating when your vehicle concern is unable to be duplicated. Continue to monitor your vehicle and if you choose to work with your dealership again, let us know so we can assist.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
Cadillac Customer Care

georule
02-01-14, 08:14 PM
CUE and Nav was a champ today, there and back with a few side trips in between, and with video running (i.e. wife recorded the trip with a handheld camcorder). Provisionally declaring victory until/unless it happens again.

jlukavsky
02-11-14, 11:58 PM
CUE and Nav was a champ today, there and back with a few side trips in between, and with video running (i.e. wife recorded the trip with a handheld camcorder). Provisionally declaring victory until/unless it happens again.

Seems asinine that we have to record stuff for Cadillac to admit to it being a problem. Oh wait they still won't admit to it even if you have video evidence. All you'll get is a 'sorry you have these problems'.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xp5GBdT_Jlk

CUE has always sucked and still sucks.

Unhappy
06-02-14, 09:50 PM
My CUE is completely toast. Just got my SRX in March, and I can't even listen to the radio. While the HVAC controls still work (for now) if I can guess the right spot to touch, the buttons don't light up. Nor do the buttons on the steering wheel. This is beyond ridiculous for such an expensive and "premium" vehicle. Not to mention this is a known and prevalent issue. Cadillac has know about this issue forever. Why wasn't my vehicle updated before it was sold? Why isn't the software update it needs available remotely, given that we can send signals to the vehicle asking if it needs the update?

And what exactly can a CUE Infotainment Expert offer, if not troubleshooting assistance? I called the number and got nothing but idiotic questions. I explained I'd been experiencing this issue for over a month. She actually asked if I still experienced the same issue after restarting the vehicle. NO, I'VE LEFT IT RUNNING FOR THE ENTIRE PAST MONTH!!! Are you serious?? How is that helpful? After that, she badgered me relentlessly about when I planned on taking it in for service, because this mysterious software update can only be done at a dealership. If I had time to take my car in for service constantly, not only would I have already done so, but I would have just purchased some crappy used car that I didn't care was in the shop all the time. Seriously Cadillac, live up to the name!! Furthermore, I do NOT want to receive some placating canned response from "Customer Care" trying to empathize that they understand how frustrating this issue is. If you truly understand, drive to my work, leave me a car that actually works to drive while mine is in the shop, then return it to me when it's in the condition it SHOULD have been in when I originally purchased it.

georule
06-03-14, 02:53 PM
Bottom line is there's no way to fix it without taking it to the dealer. Would you expect them to fix your brakes over the phone? You've clearly got a hardware issue there, not a CTRL-ALT-DELETE software magic fix.

r34220
06-04-14, 09:35 PM
Bottom line is there's no way to fix it without taking it to the dealer. Would you expect them to fix your brakes over the phone? You've clearly got a hardware issue there, not a CTRL-ALT-DELETE software magic fix.

Yeah, You can't expect a phone call to fix a issue like this.

sclin
06-09-14, 02:54 PM
Recently I had a long road trip and I experienced the reboot 3 times during the trip. All 3 times was during the Nav and listening to SD music files. My CUE is still at March 2013 version and I know there is a fix for "Radio Favorites Disappear, HD Audio Concerns - (Dec 10, 2013). (PI1130 TSB number)" I plan to schedule a trip to get this updated. Does anyone know this update fixes the reboot issue?

georule
06-09-14, 06:04 PM
That sounds a lot like my issue, which was largely (not exclusively, but largely) experienced on long road trips with both nav and music running. They finally put a new HMI (head unit) in with the latest version of the software on it, and that fixed it. I would imagine they'd want to try the newest software by itself first for you since your current version is so old. I don't know how often you do long road trips --that's the problem with chasing random, low frequency bugs, it can take months to know if they've really been fixed or not.

Cadillac Cust Svc
06-09-14, 06:35 PM
Recently I had a long road trip and I experienced the reboot 3 times during the trip. All 3 times was during the Nav and listening to SD music files. My CUE is still at March 2013 version and I know there is a fix for "Radio Favorites Disappear, HD Audio Concerns - (Dec 10, 2013). (PI1130 TSB number)" I plan to schedule a trip to get this updated. Does anyone know this update fixes the reboot issue?

Hi sclin,

I am sorry that you experienced this reboot multiple times during your road trip. If you are considering heading to your dealership to have this concern addressed, I would be happy to reach out to the dealership and help in scheduling an appointment. Please PM me with your VIN, mileage, preferred dealership, and contact information if you would be interested.

Have a great night,

Austin J.
Cadillac Customer Care

georule
07-20-14, 09:04 PM
Just went 1,500 miles over four days with the nav and music running the whole time, which is the first extended (more than, say, 200 miles at once) trip with this current CUE HMI in the vehicle. . . no reboots. Yay.

Now, I'm told I'm going to have to have this CUE unit replaced because it won't eject the CD (first time I actually tried the CD player!), so hopefully replacing the unit won't mess up the "cure" achieved by the current head unit as to not rebooting randomly anymore when nav is running long-term.

jrcollins50
07-21-14, 06:20 PM
I have the 2013 Cadillac ATS and it is constantly freezing up. Sometimes the center screen, but usually the DIC in the dash. When it freezes up, none of the controls on the right side of the steering wheel work including the volume control. Also, the music starts skipping or cutting out, no matter what the source is. I can change the source on the center screen to CD, USB, XM, but it continues to skip. I have driven like this for over an hour and it never corrected. The only way to fix the issue is to shut the car off for 5 minutes. I have had this identical issue three times in one day. That is, each time I drove the car. However, I might not have the issue again for several days. I live about 70 miles from the nearest dealer. How can I know that I am not wasting my time taking it to a dealer if they are unable to reproduce the issue?

joewins
07-21-14, 08:00 PM
Take a video of the issue before bringing it in case they can't reproduce it.

georule
07-22-14, 12:19 AM
Take a video of the issue before bringing it in case they can't reproduce it.

I like that. He can also email Infotainment@gmexpert.com and talk the issue over with them. If he can get them to acknowledge the issue, and tell them about his concern, they can work with the dealer proactively to make sure they replace the unit for him, which it surely sounds like it needs.

Of course, being able to attach a link to a video he's taken of the issue in his email will help convince the infotainment folks too, so I don't see it as either/or.

jrcollins50
07-22-14, 07:28 PM
Thank you for the feedback. I have noticed that the system is freezing up far more often when the external temperatures are 95+. For example, it froze up today and it is 103 outside. Is this a known issue?