: My "new" spare car

vincentm
04-10-13, 12:03 PM
Ive been wanting to garage the Cadillac for quite some time now. Last weekend i ran into a bit of a problem with it, and i was "given" an old reliable 1988 Chevrolet Celebrity for a second vehicle. Since money for me is a bit tight right now. It was sold to me for $500 but was told i can pay it whenever.

Anywho, this has a V6 2.8L fuel injected motor. It's FWD drive, it needed a new exhaust so i had 3ft of pipe replaced, a new muffler, and tip. Her interior needs a deep shampooing, i replaced the plugs, gotta do the wires. First thing i did when i got her is take it for a cleaning, vacuum and waxing. The body is 90% good with just a small ding on the driver side, paint overall is good.

http://i46.tinypic.com/9thbhh.jpg

HAZZARDJOHN
04-10-13, 01:14 PM
This is another car that has disappeared from the streets of the north without much fanfare. When I was in Texas last month is was one of those things that hit me, how many cars were just everywhere when I was a kid and now I never see. In Texas people still DD all these boring 80's cars which disappeared overnight without even noticing up here. It is like when I got back into the GM B-body game in 08 and there were pages of roadmasters in great shape within 300 miles on Autotrader. Today when I want another one, I have to set the search to any distance and even then I am lucky if I find three clean ones in the country.

CadillacLuke24
04-10-13, 02:50 PM
Glad you got help with it. I'd imagine those late 80s Chevies are somewhat boring, but dead nuts reliable.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
04-10-13, 03:04 PM
Ah yes, the Celebrity! I thought about picking up one as a beater last year, but couldn't find a clean one. My dad had an 86 Celebrity Classic sedan when I was a kid. His had the iron duke and three speed auto. Painfully slow but super reliable.

vincentm
04-10-13, 03:17 PM
Ah yes, the Celebrity! I thought about picking up one as a beater last year, but couldn't find a clean one. My dad had an 86 Celebrity Classic sedan when I was a kid. His had the iron duke and three speed auto. Painfully slow but super reliable.

Im still getting used to driving this thing..the other night i couldnt figure out the head lights, lol. Other drivers were flashing their lights at me. I just barely found out yesterday it had cruise control, that made me happy . overall this car runs really well, and was taken car of, oil is good, coolant was changed recently it doesnt sputter, fires up right away, shifts really smooth, and has some pep in it's step when accelerating. The gas pedal is hard, might need to clean the throttle body. Ill post more pics of it later.

Cadillac Kid03
04-10-13, 03:49 PM
Not a bad little car good luck with it!

thebigjimsho
04-10-13, 04:35 PM
I tried talking my dad into buying a Monte Carlo SS in '86. He got a Celebrity Eurosport. It did have a ballsy sounding exhaust. And my father did install a digital tach...

02603sec
04-10-13, 11:04 PM
That was a rent a car for me back in the day making sales calls from rochester ny, chicago, LA., Dallas. I was alaways kind. My associates always said "relax it's just a rental". Haha

77CDV
04-11-13, 12:15 AM
Looks like the perfect beater. Well done! :)

orconn
04-11-13, 12:42 AM
A simple, well cared, for old car has a lot of merit!

cadillac kevin
04-11-13, 12:46 AM
Those A bodies were pretty fun cars to drive, good on gas, and reliable as all get out. I'd recommend a well maintained one to anyone looking for a beater car (my dad wants to buy another A body wagon when the safari dies or if he ends up getting a job out of state).

orconn
04-11-13, 12:48 AM
^^^ I wouldn't get carried away! "Fun to drive" .... nyet!

truckinman
04-11-13, 09:43 AM
Not to bad looking. A few years ago, I was looking for a so called beater too. Mainly for gas reasons bc my jeep at that time got worse mpg than a 3/4 ton gasoline truck. My step dads mom was selling her 1987 Dodge Aries for 100 bucks. It was in stunningly amazing condition. No interior stains. Was garages all its life. She being the original owner. Only 65k miles. AC worked like new. Boring as hell to drive, but I bought it bc I figured I'd be an idiot not to. Was like buying a brand new car for 100 bucks.

bigm57ict
04-11-13, 10:50 AM
When I was in high school, the Driver's Ed program always had brand new cars. Some kind of arrangement with a local dealer, I suppose.
When I took the class, they had an '88 Celebrity Eurosport and an '88 Dodge Diplomat. As I recall, the Celebrity was the favorite for most students.

Jesda
04-11-13, 11:15 AM
The only domestic car my parents ever owned was a 1988 Celebrity Wagon. Iron duke with an automatic. I loved how smooth and quiet it was but I sometimes suffered from motion sickness and puked after riding around town.

Dad bought a Sony cassette deck and hid it under the front seat, then ran wires to some speaker boxes tucked away in the back.

It was sold to family friends who then put a quarter million miles on it up in Alaska, retiring it only because it needed a water pump, had lots of rust, and was no longer worth fixing.

I think the Chevy A-bodies suffered a lot of abuse. I still see plenty of well-loved Cieras and Centurys though including a grey mid-90s Olds that a woman in my neighborhood owns.