: Dash air vent not working. Where is the vent deverter located?

ptippett
04-10-13, 09:00 AM
I have an 05 Standard escalade with the digital climate control. The air is constantly being sent to the floor and defroster regardless of the setting. Can someone hale me understand where the location of the vent diverter is in the dash? I have taken apart the lower behind the glove box and can not find the location. I am pretty certain the unit that controls the vent from opening is bad and needs replaced. All fuses are good.

the cadillac man
04-10-13, 11:55 AM
I have an 05 Standard escalade with the digital climate control. The air is constantly being sent to the floor and defroster regardless of the setting. Can someone hale me understand where the location of the vent diverter is in the dash? I have taken apart the lower behind the glove box and can not find the location. I am pretty certain the unit that controls the vent from opening is bad and needs replaced. All fuses are good.

Is it just the drivers side or both sides the drivers side actuator is on the bottom of the dash on the passenger side remove the kick panel and the drivers side actuator will be near the transmission hump and is held in with two screws
That the temp door for the driver the others are buried in the dash

ptippett
04-10-13, 10:07 PM
The vent issue is on both sides of the dash, neither work. Are there two different diverters? Does anyoine know why they would both not function at the same time? All fuses are good.

the cadillac man
04-10-13, 10:55 PM
The vent issue is on both sides of the dash, neither work. Are there two different diverters? Does anyoine know why they would both not function at the same time? All fuses are good.

They work at the same time as they are on the same flap
Try this remove the hvac fuse in the under hood fuse box for about 2 mins or longer then put the fuse in and turn the key to run for 2 mins then off for 2 mins then start the truck and drive normal to recalibrate the front hvac unit

If this doesn't fix the issue then a visit to a local gm dealer is next as the work to remove the parts to gain access to replace the actuator is a lot for someone who doesn't know how the dash comes apart

ptippett
04-11-13, 11:05 AM
Thanks Cadillac Man
I reset the HVAC unit and still no air from dash vents. I am very mechanical and have been taking cars apart for 30 years, so removing the dash is not an issue. It would be nice to know the location of the actuator, so I would know how much of the dash needs to be removed.

Does anyone have any instructions on removing the dash to get to the actuator?

Thanks everyone

the cadillac man
04-11-13, 03:46 PM
Thanks Cadillac Man
I reset the HVAC unit and still no air from dash vents. I am very mechanical and have been taking cars apart for 30 years, so removing the dash is not an issue. It would be nice to know the location of the actuator, so I would know how much of the dash needs to be removed.

Does anyone have any instructions on removing the dash to get to the actuator?

Thanks everyone

If you want I can look and see which sections of the service manual I have covers this and email it to you if you want just let me know