: How many CD's can the hard drive hold?

DCV
04-10-13, 08:08 AM
So far I transferred about 25 cd's to the internal hard drive, takes a while but I don't like using the ipod cable nor do I like to stream via bluetooth method either. So I'm in the process of loading them onto the hard drive. But I was wondering how many it can hold. Also some CD's are not recognized by the system and I get unknown title and artist, even though it play fine. Can I edit the names on the drive after the transfer? I don't think I can. BTW, the CD's that don't get recognized are a set of Segovia collections.

RobF300
04-10-13, 08:58 AM
load the CDs onto a USB stick, very easy
its not limited by the number of CDs its a hard drive so it depends on how much information is on each disk

HUGN*RDS
04-10-13, 09:07 AM
And also you cannot edit the titles or artists once they are on the hdd. I agree with ^^'s opinion and use the USB stick method. I ripped my CD's right to my 64gb thumb drive then loaded them all on the HD. It did it through windows media player so all of the tracks were there except for a few burnt CD's I had.

DCV
04-10-13, 09:42 AM
I know its a matter of hard drive storage space and not an actual number of discs. However each CD takes some amount of space on the disk and divide that into the total space to see how many it "holds". Ripping from CD to the USB takes time too..then going USB to hard drive, so unless that's a lot faster than going directly from CD to internal drive, I see no benefit doing that method. Guess I'll test to see which is faster.

RobF300
04-10-13, 10:12 AM
you dont have to go from USB-HDD, just play right off the stick unless you feel the need to carry 30 gigs of music in your HDD

I loaded some stuff and it started to send continuous play CDs into different places since then I just use 2-3 sticks so I can bring them inside with me, edit them a bit, then back out to the car. Very easy and pain free

I have a portable USB powered 500 gig hardrive I been meaning to try in the car if that works I wont even mess with the factory HDD or sticks anymore

USAFRET
04-10-13, 10:25 AM
I copied my entire iTunes library to a 16GB USB memory stick and exported all my music to the built in HHD. I have exactly 456 CD's and it used about 68% of the HHD space. I believe that was the OP's original question.

flatrockguy
04-10-13, 10:40 AM
I loaded over 300 cd's from my pc to a thumbdrive then loaded it to my HDD much easier than going back and forth to the car to load a new cd. Plus when I go on trips in the wifes Acadia I just plug in the thumb drive and I have all my music.

DCV
04-10-13, 10:41 AM
Bingo! Thats what I wanted to know. I lose those silly USB sticks all the time and I would rather have the songs in the car and on the internal hard drive.

RobF300
04-10-13, 11:23 AM
how can you lose a stick it sits way inside the console, but yes now you know how much room a hard drive is capable of storing