: Does the net make people lazy?

rodnok01
04-09-13, 09:48 PM
Has anyone noticed a large number of posts on the net by people who won't even try to figure a problem or question out before posting it? It would take them less time to actually read the manual or simply type it into google. I wonder if they are that lazy in real life & rely on someone to do their thinking. I've worked with people that couldn't think for themselves so not surprising it happens on the net too. Just wonder if the net is encouraging this behavior.
Possibly these people have been spoon fed their whole lives and do not have the capacity to help themselves.
Rant off....

talismandave
04-09-13, 10:07 PM
I think you are onto something there. Old guys like me used to have to spend hours trying to figure things out and hours finding and then reading thing. I am so thrilled to be able to take an hour and research something online I wouldn't think twice.
If they are saying I have read X and need some clarification that's different. But coming to a group of strangers and asking something that 20 minutes looking online is poor form, IMO. I run into the same in the store all the time. I can talk you through changing a faucet stem, or an outlet, but if I have to start by explaining how a crescent wrench or pipe wrench works, you should probably be hiring someone to do it!:duh:

Thanks, I feel better now too!:cursin:

....NEXT!......

77CDV
04-09-13, 10:23 PM
TL;DR

:lol:

Hoosier Daddy
04-09-13, 10:31 PM
Has anyone noticed a large number of posts on the net by people who won't even try to figure a problem or question out before posting it? It would take them less time to actually read the manual or simply type it into google. I wonder if they are that lazy in real life & rely on someone to do their thinking. I've worked with people that couldn't think for themselves so not surprising it happens on the net too. Just wonder if the net is encouraging this behavior.
If by net you mean people giving them answers, than yes.

CTSCHICK
04-09-13, 11:29 PM
I will agree on the laziness it also amazes me how many people do not read their owners manuals

The-Dullahan
04-10-13, 02:40 AM
I do not believe the internet is exclusively to blame. As time goes by, I find more and more youths who are so lazy and never seek knowledge on ANY subject. They go through life never learning and it is actually rather amazing to me. I could not possibly live that way. Curiosity seems to have faded from generation to generation.

----------

Then again, I find more and more kids today who are afraid to do even simple things out of fear that people will think them silly or not seek relationships with their romantic interests out of fear of rejection or to not go out and do something fun, out of fear that they may get hurt along the way. This is another new thing, as I never saw such things in my youth. Kids these days...

CTSCHICK
04-10-13, 02:56 AM
I don't even think it is an age issue for every instance I have seen a young person act that way I have seen an older person that does the same thing.

What irks me more is the know it all book types that because they have a book or manual they feel they can proceed to tell you how to do it, how easy it is or you are doing it wrong because they have a picture they can look at but actually haven't even done the task themselves or even actually know the things involved with doing it.
Sorry Pet Peeve of mine lol

thebigjimsho
04-10-13, 07:17 AM
I'm not reading all those responses...

Hoosier Daddy
04-10-13, 08:54 AM
I'm not reading all those responses...
Me either. Could someone summarize them for Jim and me?

Sorry, couldn't resist.

thebigjimsho
04-10-13, 09:19 AM
Yeah! Cliffs notes, please!

dkozloski
04-10-13, 10:23 AM
I admit that digging information out of the factory service manuals can be a daunting task but I'll be damned if I'll do it and then read it to somebody too lazy or cheap to buy a manual and do it for themselves, especially a luxury car owner. Most of the time I feel tempted to answer the questioners who have posted on the forum that if they ask a question like that they better not be messing with "sheenery"

CadillacLuke24
04-10-13, 01:57 PM
I do not believe the internet is exclusively to blame. As time goes by, I find more and more youths who are so lazy and never seek knowledge on ANY subject. They go through life never learning and it is actually rather amazing to me. I could not possibly live that way. Curiosity seems to have faded from generation to generation.

----------

Then again, I find more and more kids today who are afraid to do even simple things out of fear that people will think them silly or not seek relationships with their romantic interests out of fear of rejection or to not go out and do something fun, out of fear that they may get hurt along the way. This is another new thing, as I never saw such things in my youth. Kids these days...

In response to the first part, I agree, and I think that it's from the entitlement that is sadly rampant in our generation. Kids these days want everything handed to them yesterday. They don't want to get off their dead duffer and do a lick of work. I understand the the whole "make things better for your kids than you ever had" that my Dad does. While that is a good idea, it should be done in a fashion where the kids are taught to work hard, never give up, and give it your all, like my Dad does. Not by giving them everything and anything under the sun, like a vast majority of the entitled snots I deal with.

With the second one, everybody is so concerned with looking cool that they avoid doing anything "silly" or simple out of fear of embarassment, and the only way they will is if alcohol is involved, usually in large quantities.

77CDV
04-10-13, 04:35 PM
In response to the first part, I agree, and I think that it's from the entitlement that is sadly rampant in our generation. Kids these days want everything handed to them yesterday. They don't want to get off their dead duffer and do a lick of work. I understand the the whole "make things better for your kids than you ever had" that my Dad does. While that is a good idea, it should be done in a fashion where the kids are taught to work hard, never give up, and give it your all, like my Dad does. Not by giving them everything and anything under the sun, like a vast majority of the entitled snots I deal with.

With the second one, everybody is so concerned with looking cool that they avoid doing anything "silly" or simple out of fear of embarassment, and the only way they will is if alcohol is involved, usually in large quantities.

Now get off my lawn! :lol:

cdcoston
04-10-13, 05:17 PM
Possibly these people have been spoon fed their whole lives and do not have the capacity to help themselves.
Rant off....

TV Sitter Generations, with credit cards on the counter for dinner while parents are out.

Hoosier Daddy
04-10-13, 05:53 PM
I admit that digging information out of the factory service manuals can be a daunting task but I'll be damned if I'll do it and then read it to somebody too lazy or cheap to buy a manual and do it for themselves, especially a luxury car owner.
This thread blew my mind on another forum. A car owner was going to build a box to fit in the spare tire well but instead of measuring himself, he asked for someone else to tell him the dimensions. http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/2011-v6-mustang-tech/365188-dimension-spare-tire.html

orconn
04-10-13, 06:20 PM
It's the "let someone else do it" syndrome. Let someone else educate my children, let some else defend our country, let someone else prepare my meals, let someone else pay the taxes necessary to support the country!

CadillacLuke24
04-10-13, 06:24 PM
If you want it done right....:sneaky:

drewsdeville
04-10-13, 06:26 PM
In response to the first part, I agree, and I think that it's from the entitlement that is sadly rampant in our generation. Kids these days want everything handed to them yesterday.

Who raised them that way? The sense of entitlement isn't something this generation fabricated out of thin air...it was taught by those who knew it best.

Those who grew up during the post-war expansion are really the ones who took off with the whole entitlement thing. Relative to the years before and after, those people had EVERYTHING - fantastic crazy high buying power that generations before and after have/will only dream of, and they soaked it all up. Now, years later when the going has gotten tough, the tough haven't gotten going (though they love to preach that they have, ironically, explaining how hard they had to work hard for everything they have, just like their parents before them...LOLZ). They are breeding and raising their offspring with the same mindset, while still practicing it themselves. It's part of the reason why we are so abusive with credit, and it's also PART (far from all) of the reason that the benefits this country offers is unsustainable and benefits abuse is growing at a wild rate. "Gimmie this, gimmie that, that's mine, not yours, that Social Security is mine, I paid for it, this cut and that cut is BS - we've never had to deal with this before, so we shouldn't have to now, this just isn't right, I deserve better, blah blah blah..."

And we wonder why much of the world hates our consumption habits...it's not because we consume a lot, rather it's because we consume a lot and still have the balls to complain about how it's not enough, sometimes throwing tantrums. Nobody likes a spoiled brat.

"The American Dream" has morphed into a nasty narcistic term over the years since the World Wars...

EChas3
04-10-13, 09:22 PM
Rampant laziness isn't new; just more obvious.

rodnok01
04-10-13, 10:14 PM
That's exactly what I was talking about Hoosier... I have seen posts like "is my car 4 or 5 lug... it's dark & don't wanna wait till morning to look" all the time. Hell my wife thinks I'm nuts cause I'll grab a light and be laying under the car trying to figure something out in the middle of the night.
I used to write software/hardware training manuals & train people on them. They would call & ask me how to do something, my response would be do you have the manual I gave you & if no why not. They were too lazy to bring a binder that told them exactly step by step(so simple a non computer person could do it) & figured I would help them. After calling them an idiot & not answering their questions I would call their boss... they didn't call again after that. I had to quit after too many years of uber lazy people... they did however make me look like a genius.
Not to HiJack my own thread but.... people who bitch when they either don't get an immediate answer or advice they don't like really cheeses me off.

02603sec
04-10-13, 10:14 PM
Lackadaisicalness is using "K" for ok. Providing links to information you know the poster HAS NOT read.. Sending an email to ask for something.. I could on and on but I would just sound like another angry white male.

Hoosier Daddy
04-10-13, 10:24 PM
That's exactly what I was talking about Hoosier... I have seen posts like "is my car 4 or 5 lug...
Wow! Nobody could top that one!

creeker
04-10-13, 11:14 PM
I have replied to requests that "the world would end" if they didn't get an answer to their dilema, I try to help out as best I can, dont even receive an
acknowledgement of my efforts to try to solve their end of life concern, I have gone out to my car and checked out my car to try and solve their problem
by checking out my own vehicle.

CadillacLuke24
04-11-13, 12:03 AM
Who raised them that way? The sense of entitlement isn't something this generation fabricated out of thin air...it was taught by those who knew it best.

Those who grew up during the post-war expansion are really the ones who took off with the whole entitlement thing. Relative to the years before and after, those people had EVERYTHING - fantastic crazy high buying power that generations before and after have/will only dream of, and they soaked it all up. Now, years later when the going has gotten tough, the tough haven't gotten going (though they love to preach that they have, ironically, explaining how hard they had to work hard for everything they have, just like their parents before them...LOLZ). They are breeding and raising their offspring with the same mindset, while still practicing it themselves. It's part of the reason why we are so abusive with credit, and it's also PART (far from all) of the reason that the benefits this country offers is unsustainable and benefits abuse is growing at a wild rate. "Gimmie this, gimmie that, that's mine, not yours, that Social Security is mine, I paid for it, this cut and that cut is BS - we've never had to deal with this before, so we shouldn't have to now, this just isn't right, I deserve better, blah blah blah..."

And we wonder why much of the world hates our consumption habits...it's not because we consume a lot, rather it's because we consume a lot and still have the balls to complain about how it's not enough, sometimes throwing tantrums. Nobody likes a spoiled brat.

"The American Dream" has morphed into a nasty narcistic term over the years since the World Wars...

Indeed. I never thought of it that way. The way kids act down here though, it's just so much more obvious.