: Another Nav problem Thread.

ImEpayne
04-09-13, 07:53 PM
So I've searched the forum and I've found people with similar problems but not the exact problem, so I'm unsure how to go about the fix.

I have an '06 V with Nav that has the DVD logo. When I load the Nav disc it prompts me to choose a language at the warning screen or what not. I click accept and this is where it freezes. Only once has it began to load the map, which was just glitchy squares not resembling a map.

Also, I can watch DVD's just fine and it actually reads scratched DVD's pretty well.

So after surfing the forum board, I am unsure if this is firmware issue, a Nav CD issue. Ontop of that I've seen threads of certain places to buy newer CD's, who to contact, what version to get...

Information overload and not sure which way to go.

Thanks,
Eric

silentwig
04-09-13, 10:36 PM
I had the exact same problem. The radio is finicky with the map dvd. Even though the disc looks clean, mist it with cd/dvd cleaner and wipe it dry with those fine fiber cloths the the ones that come with sunglasses or phone case kits. It should work after that.

And yeah, I tried the old dvd video method and it worked fine, but the map dvd didnt work till i cleaned it as explained above.

ImEpayne
04-11-13, 03:50 PM
Thank you! Will try that today.

mike6466
04-15-13, 10:16 PM
Mike won't read my nav disc or DVDs. One day it all just froze and never worked again. I would hate to spend all that money to find out I could have fixed it myself or have someone fix it cheaper.

Any suggestions

D3l7a3ch0
04-16-13, 09:32 AM
I wonder if the drive can be modded to accept a disc ISO on a USB.

sorry, just thinking out loud.

I'll ask the housemates this afternoon. they should know pretty quickly if
there is any compatibility that would allow this.

I'm just thinking, maybe there's a USB reader that will go into a SATA or
PATA connector, which optical drives most commonly are.

...and have nothing but the disc contents on the USB.

(USB storage capacities weren't big enough for this to be viable even
through 2006 when the last V1s were sold...)

if the optical drive is anything relatively "off-the-shelf," there's a chance this
just might potato.

heavymetals
04-16-13, 04:46 PM
Sometimes the drive just coughs and pukes.

I might have an extra DVD drive.

The drive connectors (thanks Delco for nothing) are not standard.

ImEpayne
04-16-13, 05:18 PM
I haven't tried using disc cleaner yet. It's surprisingly hard to get CD cleaner nowadays... Office Max told me to try GameStop (some videogame store). Will update once I try that.

D3l7a3ch0
04-16-13, 08:18 PM
Sometimes the drive just coughs and pukes.

I might have an extra DVD drive.

The drive connectors (thanks Delco for nothing) are not standard.

according to my roommate:

2 options for updating or replacing the optical drive:

replace the internals with a new laser (most likely source of problems in an optical drive)

-or- (and I would love for this to work)

use a SATA to IDE/PATA adapter and use an SSD (or regular hard drive *yuck*).

it would require a converter/adapter from SSD to whatever connector the optical drive uses, hopefully IDE... but

is there any chance it is this or something like this (slim cd connector, there is also a slightly larger version):

http://i.imgur.com/DWqehXB.jpg

larger version:

http://i.imgur.com/HO4DdP4.jpg

adapted to IDE via:

http://i.imgur.com/EvSmxn6.gif

(but the other way around->SATA to IDE to Slim CD)

if it is, then the last obstacle is whether the NAV disc is not encrypted and has regular folders if you put it into your computer DVD drive (does it display a normal-looking/regular file tree)

I already have an iso (somewhere on one of my hard drives) and the nav disc (somewhere else but I can't remember where, exactly)

//////if this works then everyone owes me a dollar

Destram
04-17-13, 11:16 AM
When I bought my car a couple months ago, it didn't come with a nav DVD, so I ordered a version 6.0 off eBay (I don't know what the newest version is. That's all I saw on eBay). When I received it, I had the exact same problem you're having. The screen was glitchy when it actually did stop freezing after you select the language. I sent it back for a refund and ordered another one exactly like it from a different seller on eBay, and it's worked fine from the beginning. Maybe you just have a bad disc and it isn't the unit after all. Just a thought.

ImEpayne
04-18-13, 06:25 PM
D3l7a3ch0 I'm afraid I have no idea what any of that means? Are you talking about being able to burn the nav info onto a disc? I'm sorry... all those acronyms...

Destram Good to know. So is the 6.0 pretty well updated and how much did you end up spending for one on the Bay.

D3l7a3ch0
04-18-13, 07:31 PM
put the contents of the nav disc (and nothing but the nav disc) on a laptop hard drive (known as Solid State or SSD)

and then with the use of adapters, plug everything in at the connector the DVD used

the head unit will not know the difference. point of failure removed (also faster read times)

Destram
04-24-13, 05:19 PM
D3l7a3ch0 I'm afraid I have no idea what any of that means? Are you talking about being able to burn the nav info onto a disc? I'm sorry... all those acronyms...

Destram Good to know. So is the 6.0 pretty well updated and how much did you end up spending for one on the Bay.

Sorry for the late reply. I'm not sure how updated 6.0 is. I've run into a couple problems where it took me to places that didn't exist in that location anymore, but I've also had it take me right where I wanted it to. I think I ended up paying ~$160 for the 6.0 disc on eBay. If you find out your disc is the problem, you can get one on eBay, or if you want to make sure you get the most up to date disc, I know they're $300 at the dealership (at least that's how much they are at my dealership).

D3l7a3ch0
04-24-13, 08:05 PM
if the hard drive thing works, you can download the ISO and load the contents of the disc onto the drive (and do it that way)

I really need to just open it up again, especially since I can't find a picture of the cts dvd drive

//apparently the nav disc uses non-encrypted root directory. the hard drive can be made to do this as well
http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answers/pdf/nav-dvd-structure.pdf

*for near-future reference

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVzCNjvQn7E

ImEpayne
04-25-13, 03:42 PM
If whatever you are talking about works. And it's easy. Count me in.

D3l7a3ch0
04-25-13, 06:00 PM
yeah, if it works at all it will work very simply.

If whatever you are talking about works. And it's easy. Count me in.

hey, are you willing to open up your nav unit and replace the DVD drive? if you feel comfortable doing that, we could swap out 1:1, or you could send me yours so I can change out the laser and send it back to you.

that's not a promise *yet* ...I'm just throwing an idea out there. to see what people are comfortable with.

I don't use my nav, so I'm thinking I could just... use mine as an extra core and continuously swap out drives I receive with one that has a new laser.

I ... hereby commit to pull my nav center out tomorrow. and also try the hard drive thing (or see what the situation is, inside the tin case of the nav unit

http://i.imgur.com/Dcn9UXV.jpg

there's a chance the dvd drive uses a ribbon rather than a conventional cable,

bleh yeah lemme know

//4PM pacific, radio is pulled. working on it at my desk now. I will keep this thread poasted.

//5PM: welp, there is one ribbon that goes to the laser, and another ribbon that goes to the motor--that was expected

but there are two ribbons going from the drive to the rest of the nav circuit board, and I need to ask my roommates and the internet (lol) how they're different from older optical drives

these are the screws, (not too scary) and I've highlighted the assembly that houses the laser. I'm pretty sure the laser can be replaced after opening the highlighted body, but I want to check with my roommates before doing it.

the metal housing of the nav unit comes apart without bending anything permanently... there are small metal and plastic tabs that hold it all together. (zero commitment)

http://i.imgur.com/aYjhe8F.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/WduuCFP.jpg

see ya tomorrow... my roommates don't get back til late tonight... there's some type of event in Santa Ana they are attending.

also: Conan O'Brien is hosting the Presidential Roast tonight, 9:45 Eastern (http://www.whitehouse.gov/live)

D3l7a3ch0
04-28-13, 05:51 PM
ok. so.

1: the laser can be changed.
2: I'm not keeping my DVD drive or 6-Disc changer
3: I'd like to mount an iPad instead.

laser can be changed, so your nav system is easily repaired. if you want
to send it to me, I can do it, but I could also get you some amazon part
numbers and with a small socket-and-bit set from radio shack, you could
do it yourself. not that difficult.

also: this is what I'm going to do:

I'm removing my 6-disc from the body of the radio, and I'm probably leaving
the DVD drive out. I'd like to mount an Ipad in front of the
radio, perhaps on a swivel, and use it instead. I'd like to hide the stock
screen and buttons more thoroughly, but that's too much work for the
aesthetics.

(there are still options for relocating the display and the climate controls
to, say, the glove box or the arm rest. the core circuit board and screen
are slim and compact, and would only require extending the wires of
the connectors)

plus not only is the 6-disc unused, it's heavy. and high. I don't like it.

maybe it's my imagination, but the car feels better without the weight of
the radio.

I think an iPad mount would be just fine.

something that mounts to the same four holes of the radio bracket bolts,
and is slim enough to come out through the seam between the radio and
dash would be good, I think.

I already have an iPad/iPhone connector rigged up to the power and audio.

with 3G internet, you can't beat an iOS device (iPhone/iPad) for a dash
music/entertainment system. nav, even. Google maps currently (iirc) only
has an iPhone turn-by-turn app, which can be installed on an iPad, but it
will be viewed in 2x. Google has plans to release an iPad version of the
Google maps app.

using an iPad is moving with the momentum of off-the-shelf technology
with a -huge- market and R&D behind it (rather than reinventing the wheel)...

not only do I not have the skill to replace the stock interface with a fully
functioning aftermarket one, I could not outdo an iPad (between my techie
roommates and myself, we've got a good idea what's going on with the DVD
drive, but I'll spare you the details).

and yeah, we discussed micro tower PCs with touch screens and Windows 8,
but no matter how we cut it, an iPad is great at everything you'd want in a
nav/head unit, and it's in a slim body with a touch screen.

bring the iPad in the house, sync it to more music and movies, and you could get a
bluetooth OBDII reader with accompanying apps for readouts about your car
such as this (http://www.amazon.com/Soliport-Bluetooth-OBDII-Diagnostic-Scanner/dp/B004KL0I9I) or this (http://www.ebay.com/itm/OBD2-Scanner-OBD-II-Bluetooth-Android-TURQUE-Code-Reader-Car-Diagnostic-tools-/120898840666)

///SO if you're stuck on keeping the stock nav, lemme know. there are still options.

if you'd like pictures of how to pull it apart, I can do a step by step picture
guide. it's just screws and some ribbon connectors.

robojesus
04-28-13, 06:20 PM
delta, do you have autism or ADD? you just spew out this mindless dreck.

iOS devices are real washed up and played out. there are more cost effective products that are going to install and look better in this application, if you insist on using a tablet.

and no, Google Maps TBT navigation is NOT strictly for iOS (why the hell would google release something for their competitors product, but not their own?)

reading your posts makes me very tired.

D3l7a3ch0
04-28-13, 06:41 PM
I don't agree that iOS devices are played out, but if it's true they're washed up, what does that make the disc-based nav we have, hmm? I can't bear looking at the audio menu especially.

get the tablet of your choice, or don't change anything at all? I already have an iPad, so I'm just using what I already have.

and yes, I got myself diagnosed with ADD four weeks ago, and this is my first month on Adderall. it's amazing. I haven't been upset about a single thing. I've always thought I was pretty great, and now I'm even more focused.

robojesus, you tell me more about yourself than you know. you don't have to be head cashier at Wal Mart to know it's not healthy to be susceptible to things that are outside of your control.

but I understand, so I've updated my previous post with bullet points. I could've written the post with better flow, but ... *effort*

I'm sorry that reading something makes you feel that way.

------------------

I don't think I'm autistic, but I do sense a bit of schizophrenia

wouldn't it be funny if the housemates/roommates I speak of are really just me.

I value getting along with people, but I'm also used to people who despise my existence. In fact I can't think of anyone who celebrates ... me, but when I look past that, everything is excellent.

still, (believe it or not), I would rather not find myself in constant conflict with people.

------------------

it would be asking for too much, but still...

I wish I was a little bit taller

robojesus
04-28-13, 06:55 PM
see, that's exactly what the problem is with you. you ramble and ramble and ramble. you remind me of an old ass man in a nursing home who finally gets a chance to talk to someone and rambles and rambles for hours about literally nothing.

if you have a problem with the built in nav, go get yourself a garmin, they're 1000 times better than the pathetic piece of shit that is in this car anyway.

D3l7a3ch0
04-28-13, 10:51 PM
I'm willing to be friends, you know.

SevillianSTS
04-28-13, 11:01 PM
I wonder if the drive can be modded to accept a disc ISO on a USB.

sorry, just thinking out loud.

I'll ask the housemates this afternoon. they should know pretty quickly if
there is any compatibility that would allow this.

I'm just thinking, maybe there's a USB reader that will go into a SATA or
PATA connector, which optical drives most commonly are.

...and have nothing but the disc contents on the USB.

(USB storage capacities weren't big enough for this to be viable even
through 2006 when the last V1s were sold...)

if the optical drive is anything relatively "off-the-shelf," there's a chance this
just might potato.

I was thinking a while back it would be nice to load the DVD data onto a hard drive and then plug the hard drive in where the DVD drive goes. Should load significantly faster.

D3l7a3ch0
04-29-13, 12:05 AM
I thought so too, and that was my goal, but I can't make sense of the connectors without a pin-by-pin schematic.

since this was provided to GM as an assembly, I doubt even GM would have such a schematic.

my nav unit was made in 2004, and around that time IDE drives used 40-pin or 80-pin connectors; this nav unit has 60 pins, and there's no indication which pins are data or power

it's Panasonic, but none of the numbers on the circuit boards or the body of the DVD drive has produced results through Google.

http://i.imgur.com/VUH0dpD.jpg

I'm still confident a pin-by-pin adapter can be made, and allow the use of a solid state hard drive, but to go any further I need that schematic.

40-pin (http://paulski.com/zpages.php?id=1717) it could be that 16-20 of the pins are simply power, and it is a conventional 40- or 44-pin IDE with an unconventional layout to save materials (or something).

I'll send an email to these guys, and see what they will give me. (http://www.panasonic.com/industrial/electronic-components/tertiary-navigation/product-information/optical-drives.aspx)

robojesus
04-29-13, 07:24 AM
You would need an iso loader or software to extract and mount the iso file. The ssd is a decent concept and idea, but the bus converter and the pata connection would significantly narrow the bandwidth. That being said, you are able to get a 16gb ssd for around 20 bucks nowadays and seeing how a pc power supply is 12 volts, you should have no issues getting juice to it. It is not a great idea, but some fun can definitely be had deciphering this.

Delta, you seem like a decent man with good intentions, and I apologize for being less than patient with you. I will try harder from now on to be reasonable with you.

D3l7a3ch0
04-29-13, 03:20 PM
my first follow-up with my psych is this afternoon~ (refill!) just pretend I ride the short bus and lick windows *shrug*

I have the disc, and I thought I had the iso somewhere, but I might need to re-rip it (rip it good (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIEVqFB4WUo))

and yeah, it's stepping down the speed of the SSD considerably, but the fortunate thing is we're going from 2013 hardware down to 2004 hardware

ImEpayne
04-29-13, 04:16 PM
What?

D3l7a3ch0
04-29-13, 08:36 PM
you can replace the laser or the motor in your dvd drive--both are items that fail over time

if that's what you'd like to do, I can do a picture tutorial of the process, or you could send the drive to me

(side note: the dvd drives we have in our navigation units are of a heavier-duty variety than the dvd drives we have in our computers and home entertainment systems.)

I'm trying to replace the dvd drive with a hard drive that does not have moving parts. they're known as Solid State hard drives, or SSD.

I think there's still a chance there is a direct conversion from the ribbons in our nav units and an adapter to SSD. the next step is finding a schematic for the DVD drive, that shows which pins are which, in terms of 40-pin IDE (http://paulski.com/zpages.php?id=1717).

I didn't get a reply from bigbytecorp via email; I will call them in the morning.

robojesus
04-29-13, 08:44 PM
they're beefier so they're less susceptible to skipping or scratching discs over bumps.

D3l7a3ch0
04-29-13, 08:52 PM
yeah I think it's pretty neat--there's significant shock isolation and a lot of parts are metal (that are plastic in PC and home entertainment optical drives).

ImEpayne
04-29-13, 09:50 PM
As long as there isn't much wiring in replacing the lens I don't think I'll have any issue doing it. I am more interested right now in getting my V back into stock working order. So if you're bored enough to do a photo tutorial then have at it. but parts of what I need is more important to me.

Thanks for all the input and good job playing around with this sh*t Delta. that's cool that you can figure that kinda of stuff . ( I am rediculously computer illiterate)

H-town_V
04-29-13, 11:14 PM
This thread makes my head hurt... Guess that's why I got outta the car audio game years ago(when it died).

If you want to retain factory SWC, DIC, and Bose compatibility but integrate an ipad or other tablet for audio and nav it's not that hard.

One easy option is to relocate the factory unit in the trunk...simply cut and extend all the factory wires from the radio to the trunk. Then use a iPod adapter and run that back to the dash.

Buy a standard dash kit for a cts(the kind for hooking up aftermarket radios) modify it to hold your tablet of choice and the job is finished.

D3l7a3ch0
04-30-13, 01:22 AM
you're welcome, ImEpayne, the stock system has bothered me for quite a bit. if my nav failed I would be doing this anyway~

I held the iPad up to the hole in the dash, and the iPad *almost* fits perfectly

with internet, you can't beat an add-on iPad (or other tablet) in terms of features~

apps for equalizers and DSP are available on tablets, as well as a fix for the movies-while-moving problem. :)

after removing the 6-disc changer from the body of the radio (and then trimming it away from the bottom of the faceplate), I would like to move the stock display to where the climate control is, and move the climate control to where the cup holders are (in the center arm rest).

I'll get the DVD step-by-step in pictures in the morning after the sun is out/I have more light. the flash looks a little too harsh against the circuit boards.

http://i.imgur.com/7P13vRT.jpg

picture taken from the center of the head rest:

http://i.imgur.com/KM6cbhV.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/Of2rMRP.jpg

the angle of the camera is *almost* enough for face time lol

//update: my memory card is not happy and isn't transferring files.
and now I have class

I will retry the images after class tonight (9:30PM pacific), PC probably needs a restart.

//here we go:

clicking on images opens full res

page 1
http://i.imgur.com/fRRcNpE.jpg (http://i.imgur.com/QGMUxva.jpg)

page 2
http://i.imgur.com/z8xPLQV.jpg (http://i.imgur.com/xRsOq3z.jpg)

page 3
http://i.imgur.com/jXnQ40N.jpg (http://i.imgur.com/CS663nW.jpg)

page 4
http://i.imgur.com/K0nZ73R.jpg (http://i.imgur.com/dmDOUZH.jpg)

will continue again in the AM

//so

I've made a mess of things, and basically stripped a small screw
that releases the body of the laser from the rails.

I need to get with my roommate who has better tools, and I hope
a sturdy set of needle nose pliers to help with the screw.

http://i.imgur.com/1u5Q0O2.jpg (http://i.imgur.com/Iq5HWT4.jpg)

in this picture are the two tool sets and forceps available at Radio Shack.

it wasn't due to the quality of the tools--I just didn't apply enough
downward pressure before attempting to turn the screw. :-/

D3l7a3ch0
06-02-13, 05:33 PM
gotta be honest, I broke my DVD drive. oops.

not wanting to pay hundreds for something that, visually, is dated, my mind turns to making the rest of the head unit more compact, to be relocated in the dash. I would like to have my Ipad in its place.

my semester has ended, my CAD class was a success, and there are quite a few things I would like to have made... requires some solidworks plans~

might be a little bit, though.