: Removing exhaust manifolds on V8

conedoctor
04-09-13, 01:02 PM
Working on a project and I need to pull the exhaust manifolds to do some test fitting, any advise are cautions?

glake89
04-09-13, 01:24 PM
Just remember to put back all the stuff you have to remove to get to them.:(

conedoctor
04-09-13, 01:49 PM
Really, bummer.

conedoctor
04-09-13, 06:44 PM
Can you define a bit more what "parts" mean.

I need to get them out and test fit some headers, I was hoping to test fit and reassemble in a few hours so the car wont be down for too long. Is this a full weekend project?

I have decided to go ahead with a header project for the V8 and only one way to check fit.

glake89
04-09-13, 07:14 PM
Just the left side- MC, steering shaft,PS gear,++++++ incl dropping the exh sys. Sounds like more than an afternoon project to me. Get into the SM for complete info.

conedoctor
04-09-13, 07:50 PM
Holy dyna, going to have a look under there and see what is all in the way. Maybe I can cheat a bit.

Man I should take up another project but I have wanted headers for many years and I think it would really help pep up the motor and it would sound great!

I have no access to SM I will PM you, I think it had something to do with donation....

repnatl
04-09-13, 09:03 PM
But aren't the stock manifolds good to 400hp? Maybe free up a few ponies and exhaust flow. Just thinking of old 350's didn't really bump up much after them maybe new n* are different. But man they look pretty tight the 3.6 are easier of course lol

conedoctor
04-10-13, 12:09 PM
Well what does good for mean?

----------

If I can get around removing the rack I will look at doing this, if I have to remove the rack I may just put this on hold for now until I get more time. I will have to just put headers on the Denali for now so I can put headers on something lol

repnatl
04-10-13, 01:48 PM
Lol the denali would be way easier too. Just saying not too much dyno proven hp gains with headers on an otherwise stock engine.

conedoctor
04-10-13, 02:54 PM
This coming from MR. Cold air intake lol

I think a set of headers larger cats and the exhaust I have built would improve economy and waste less power on pushing exhaust out and put it to the flexplate without the need to add more fuel like on the intake side, I want to do it for sound, economy and just to say I did it.

Guys are making good gains on the Denali's and I also have a custom tune that will be further customized after the headers and hiflow cats, that being said I wont dyno before or after so who knows but it will look cool and I will be a hero to few.

Whiplash_89
04-10-13, 03:37 PM
Denali has dofferent engines.

conedoctor
04-10-13, 03:45 PM
No no it has a different engine.

Yes both are air pumps is what I was getting at.

I would have playa status with headers!

SFVetteman
04-10-13, 04:49 PM
I would expect longtube headers would get you around 15 rwhp and metal matrix cats another 10 rwhp along with a great sound.

Bill

conedoctor
04-10-13, 04:55 PM
That's about what I was figuring as well, short tube are a waste of time as I think you were making reference to.

repnatl
04-10-13, 08:54 PM
Hey hey that's Mr modified cold air box to you Lmao. I hear you though not too many guys with headers on these things.would be a good guess what i did convo

conedoctor
04-11-13, 11:56 AM
I had a look and it is not that tight but a hoist job for sure so this will delay me a bit till my hoist is freed up but I think I can do this.