: Weird noise coming from engine

CTSV21
04-09-13, 09:41 AM
Hey everyone, has anyone ever heard something like this come out of their engine? Just started making this noise out of no where, i'm pretty sure the sound is coming from the supercharger

http://youtu.be/UKkvQejXRPA

nynd
04-09-13, 09:51 AM
Probably the bearings in the supercharger are gone? There was always the infamous rattle from the counterweight isolator that some switched but this sounds different than that - unless the shaft is bent or broken (the ones that has the isolator on it)

CTSV21
04-09-13, 09:56 AM
Well I did have the infamous supercharger rattle before this noise started. I was actually planning on taking it to the dealer sometime soon about the rattle and then this started.

Just got my KW's installed too :(

CoppeR
04-09-13, 01:51 PM
Yeah, thats not the famous "rattle". Your noise doesnt seem to be consistant and is much higher pitched. Not sure what it is for sure...dealer time.

CTSV21
04-10-13, 01:20 AM
Yeah, thats not the famous "rattle". Your noise doesnt seem to be consistant and is much higher pitched. Not sure what it is for sure...dealer time.

Yeah that's not the normal rattle, which sounds like a couple marbles in the engine. This is something way worse.
We'll see what the dealer says, just wanted to see if any members here had a similar sound before.

Trapspeed
04-10-13, 04:46 PM
My money is on bearing failure. I don't know I'd even drive it unless you're prepared to smoke a belt.

Mongopush
04-10-13, 07:45 PM
I would take the time and put the stock intake back on ,that is if under warranty. No need to give them a reason to turn you away.

CTSV21
04-11-13, 10:29 AM
I would take the time and put the stock intake back on ,that is if under warranty. No need to give them a reason to turn you away.

Yeah I just did that for that exact reason

Txstang1
04-22-13, 10:29 PM
Mine started making th eexact same noise Friday. I took in this morning and they replaced the supercharger.

Moneypenny
04-23-13, 10:58 PM
How many miles on the car?

sybersport
04-24-13, 11:42 PM
That sound brought back memories - I had it start when I was in Chicago, on my way back to Toronto...

I'm not sure exactly what the problem was. All I know is that they replaced the entire supercharger, no questions asked. Problem solved.

CTSV21
05-02-13, 02:17 PM
Hey guys, so I took the car to the dealer and the service guy i'm dealing with says that there is nothing he can do because he has a bulletin claiming that the noise is normal.

Unfortunately the noise from the video stopped so I couldn't reproduce that sound in person but i showed them the audio from my phone when I dropped it off. I bet the bulletin is for the common rattle but this has to be worse than that. Don't know what to do next... Am I suppose to just take it back until it comes back again??

FLTRI
05-02-13, 02:21 PM
Get a mechanics stethoscope and see if you can isolate it. It could be the alternator, idler pulley or something other than the supercharger. Even though it's quit for the moment, you may be able to find it with a stethoscope...

CTSV21
05-02-13, 02:28 PM
Heres another video with the same sound and it says its a bad bearing. Just got this from another thread about a bad supercharger.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywokI6ZM8sk

----------

BTW my car is a 2012 with 21K miles

GM-4-LIFE
05-02-13, 04:43 PM
Can you take it to a different dealer?

CTSV21
05-02-13, 10:19 PM
I guess I could, I just hate the trouble of taking it to another dealer to fix something that could be done at the current dealer.

cts-v ls6
05-02-13, 10:27 PM
I have a 2010 V. Same thing happened to me. I took the car in, the dealer said it was the bearings on the pulleys turned by the serpentine belt. They wanted $670 + tax to replace 3 pulleys (they wouldn't just replace the bearings...that makes too much sense.) Took the car across town to a reputable shop. They take off the pulleys, find one bad bearing. Labor is $45, bearing is $23.

Noise continued. Took it back to dealer. Tell them I had the bearing replaced. They insist I have at least one additional bad bearing. They agree that if they replace that pulley and the noise continues, they will replace the blower under the TSB which has 1 issue and 6 or 7 additional revisions. I let them replace the pulley, they call me, the noise is still there, THEN they do the TSB test which is at a certain RPM with the serpentine belt removed. They agree the blower is bad and I get a new one under warranty at about 81k miles.

BUT...the blowers were on national back order and it took 6 weeks to get one. So I was given a standard CTS to use at no charge.

You really need a copy of that TSB to show your dealer. It has been posted on this forum before. Do a search, print it out, and take it to them. That will get the ball rolling. By the way, the pulleys turned by the serpentine belt are NOT covered by the power train warranty. Big surprise to me and most of the forum members on this site.

Jack

Cadillac Cust Svc
05-04-13, 10:08 PM
Hey guys, so I took the car to the dealer and the service guy i'm dealing with says that there is nothing he can do because he has a bulletin claiming that the noise is normal.

Unfortunately the noise from the video stopped so I couldn't reproduce that sound in person but i showed them the audio from my phone when I dropped it off. I bet the bulletin is for the common rattle but this has to be worse than that. Don't know what to do next... Am I suppose to just take it back until it comes back again??

Hello CTSV21,

I understand how this can be frustrating. If you private message me with your contact information, VIN, current mileage and the dealership name and location which your vehicle was serviced I would me more than happy to assist any way I can.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
Cadillac Customer Service

NM11CTSV
05-26-13, 09:23 AM
Probably the bearings in the supercharger are gone? There was always the infamous rattle from the counterweight isolator that some switched but this sounds different than that - unless the shaft is bent or broken (the ones that has the isolator on it)

I hear a rattle sound (I think I can call it that) when I turn the car off after it gets warmed up.. Could this be the supercharger? Car runs strong, no codes, or abnormal sounds that I can tell while I drive with the windows down..

Thunder Gray STS
05-26-13, 03:55 PM
I hear a rattle sound (I think I can call it that) when I turn the car off after it gets warmed up.. Could this be the supercharger? Car runs strong, no codes, or abnormal sounds that I can tell while I drive with the windows down..

Mine does the same thing most of the time when turning it off. I just attributed it to the supercharger. Car runs fine not to worried about it.

austin
05-26-13, 07:40 PM
Sounds like it may be the belt tensioner pulley.. Perhaps its on its way out... Take a long flat head screwdriver, about 18" to 20" long... Place your ear on the plastic handle and move the blade around the different pulley housings.. I know this may seems comical but it really works for pinpointing engine noises.. And be very careful not to hit the fan belt. :)

NM11CTSV
05-26-13, 08:38 PM
Mine does the same thing most of the time when turning it off. I just attributed it to the supercharger. Car runs fine not to worried about it.

It's my first supercharged vehicle so I'm unfamiliar with all the sounds lol.

Just want to address everything before the warranty is up