: got rid of power steering whine and hard spot

bigirb2002
04-09-13, 10:16 AM
so before changing my fluid if i turned the wheel to the left it would hum and then there was 2 hard spots. so i drained the old fluid and put in valvoline high mileage recommended by gm. It helped with the hum but still had hard spots and still could here the hum. So i drained more fluid out and put in a half of bottle of lucus power steering treatment. drove 1 day and later that night i noticed the hard spot was much softer. Went out this morning and its completely gone. Lucus power steering treatment is good stuff.Worked as advertised.

djais1801
04-09-13, 10:27 AM
def gonna try that...my fluid levels were fine, and my tech lubed the shaft going into the firewall, still same issue...pump not leaking and only on left turns do i feel this weird rubbing/noise.

bigirb2002
04-09-13, 10:51 AM
yup thats exactly how mine felt. mine didnt leak either and ps pump was replaced 7k ago. i just got tired of hearing it. a friend said lucus is what they use on there gm cars as preventive maintanance or to fix noise. it worked and im happy

Snowboarder
04-09-13, 03:43 PM
I've had this as well, wondering if it's the same problem.

Only has happened twice. If i'm making a hard right turn (like entering a highway ramp a little too fast) something happens and I start to get this high pitched buzzing noise that seems to fluctuate in sync with my acceleration. Goes away after I restart the car.

djais1801
04-10-13, 10:13 AM
yup thats exactly how mine felt. mine didnt leak either and ps pump was replaced 7k ago. i just got tired of hearing it. a friend said lucus is what they use on there gm cars as preventive maintanance or to fix noise. it worked and im happy how many qts does the power steering take?

bigirb2002
04-10-13, 01:19 PM
2-3 quarts

djais1801
04-10-13, 02:56 PM
okay thx!

bigirb2002
04-14-13, 10:20 PM
get lubeguard ps fluide if u can or u can do there additive best on the market and gm approved. lucus did the job tho so i have no need to switch

wake
04-16-13, 01:39 AM
I flushed my PS last fall using the method found on here.

The Escalades have the hydroboost system to assist in braking. To get clear fluid out of my system I went through about a gallon of fluid. The system holds quite a bit of PS fluid.

the cadillac man
04-16-13, 02:14 AM

The Escalades have the hydroboost system to assist in braking. To get clear fluid out of my system I went through about a gallon of fluid. The system holds quite a bit of PS fluid.

Wow I have wondered how much the system holds since it powers the steering rack and brake booster together(it don't seem like it would hold that much)

bigirb2002
04-16-13, 10:49 AM
3 qt system however to flush it takes about 6-7 to get old stuff out without pumping it threw a machine

the cadillac man
04-16-13, 02:24 PM
3 qt system however to flush it takes about 6-7 to get old stuff out without pumping it threw a machine

Ahh I see

SkyKnight
04-20-13, 10:17 AM

I have the wining sound but no hard spots yet. What is the procedure for draining or changing the fluid?

Thanx

appleroma
04-21-13, 10:52 PM
I have the wining sound but no hard spots yet. What is the procedure for draining or changing the fluid?

Thanx

I post athread here on ps fluid fludh

bigirb2002
04-22-13, 12:00 PM
also hers one important step. properly bleed the system. all you do us jack the front end up so tires is off the ground. key in on position but dont crank. turn wheel all way to left then all the way to right for about 10 min.top off fluid as air bubbles come out the lines. dont let the fluid get to low or you will have to start over. now sometimes the whine come back later. if it does air is getting in somehow.

Gatorlac
03-05-14, 10:34 PM
sorry for bumping an old thread but Im confused whether I should use PS fluid or brake fluid? Just bought an 05 escalade and sometimes its hard to steer for maybe half a second right when I start it up/put it in drive. Its not bad at all but I wanna change the fluid before it gets bad. I know its the hydroboost system that controls brakes and PS but which fluid do I use? Been reading and see people say they used PS fluid but the cap on the res says brake fluid only...

the cadillac man
03-05-14, 10:42 PM
sorry for bumping an old thread but Im confused whether I should use PS fluid or brake fluid? Just bought an 05 escalade and sometimes its hard to steer for maybe half a second right when I start it up/put it in drive. Its not bad at all but I wanna change the fluid before it gets bad. I know its the hydroboost system that controls brakes and PS but which fluid do I use? Been reading and see people say they used PS fluid but the cap on the res says brake fluid only...

It is the power steering pump that works the brake booster not the other way around

The power steering pump is on the front of the engine drivers side

Do like the op did and it should fix the issue

Do like the op did and it should fix the issue

Gatorlac
03-05-14, 10:58 PM
ok so I should only mess with the cap on the engine and not worry about the res?

Thanks for replying

the cadillac man
03-06-14, 12:10 AM
ok so I should only mess with the cap on the engine and not worry about the res? Thanks for replying

Yep only the one on the power steering pump and not the one on the brakes

SQUIRREL MASTER
03-07-14, 04:20 PM
so before changing my fluid if i turned the wheel to the left it would hum and then there was 2 hard spots. so i drained the old fluid and put in valvoline high mileage recommended by gm. It helped with the hum but still had hard spots and still could here the hum. So i drained more fluid out and put in a half of bottle of lucus power steering treatment. drove 1 day and later that night i noticed the hard spot was much softer. Went out this morning and its completely gone. Lucus power steering treatment is good stuff.Worked as advertised.

I realize this is an older post, but if the OP used a 1/2 bottle of lucas, do you only use 2-2.5 quarts of actual fluid instead of the 3 quarts?

the cadillac man
03-07-14, 05:30 PM
I realize this is an older post, but if the OP used a 1/2 bottle of lucas, do you only use 2-2.5 quarts of actual fluid instead of the 3 quarts?

I would say so

SQUIRREL MASTER
03-07-14, 07:28 PM
I figured as much. Again, I'm no master mechanic, nor do I claim to be, but 1+1=2 no matter where you're from. Thanks for the reassurance TCM.

the cadillac man
03-07-14, 08:34 PM
I figured as much. Again, I'm no master mechanic, nor do I claim to be, but 1+1=2 no matter where you're from. Thanks for the reassurance TCM.

Glad to help