: Rear upper ball joint threads - rethreading ideas

JazMiller
04-09-13, 01:33 AM
Hey guys,

Over the weekend I pulled the drivers axle out of my V, changed out my diff seal on that side, and put a DSS race axle back in. It was a lot tougher pulling the wheel hub assembly off the axle than I was expecting, and the ball joint gave me grief - it didn't come out with a couple gentle taps with a rubber/plastic mallet,... and on the way up and out of the hub assembly a couple threads on the tip of the ball joint bolt got damaged.

Has anyone got suggestion for rethreading methods here? I'd rather not pull the upper control arm out (mostly cause I'm not sure what all that is gonna be like for removal or reinstall) and I'm not finding anywhere in my area who has a 14mm x 1.75mm pitch rethread nut (I'm pretty sure it's 1.75, maybe it's a 2 mm pitch, still need to confirm that).

Anyway, if anyone has a pro tip for a newb, I'd be happy to hear. Rethreading nut, use a rethreading file, file off the unusable and restart a couple mm up the bolt, ??.

At least the reinstall of the axle went easier than I've heard others experienced with theirs. I'm looking for a puller to use on the passenger side ball joint, or if I've gotta hit it, I'll leave the nut on. Hopefully I've learned all the lessons that this exercise is going to dish out!

Cheers,

Jason

darkman
04-09-13, 08:14 AM
The first couple threads are not critical to that connection, but as you know they can damage the nut on the way in. I would try to "un bend" the damaged threads with a chisel or a file and then thread on a sacrificial spare nut, a threadchaser, or a die if you have one. Once you get one of those on. and off, the final nut should then go on easily.

PISNUOFF
04-09-13, 08:54 AM
Don't remove the ball joint on the other side. Just pull up on the hub assembly while the ball joint is still attached. The axle will have enough room to come out. Thread the axle nut onto the end of the axle and hit the nut to break the axle splines free from the hub.

Bacon V
04-09-13, 09:00 AM
Echoing darkman, "fix" as many threads as you can with a screwdriver or chisel and/or file them down/off. Of course if you could find a thread chaser, that would be the best option

JazMiller
04-09-13, 09:17 AM
Don't remove the ball joint on the other side. Just pull up on the hub assembly while the ball joint is still attached. The axle will have enough room to come out.

I hadn't even thought that might be the case! I'll give that a shot on the other side for sure!

Thread the axle nut onto the end of the axle and hit the nut to break the axle splines free from the hub.

Yup, that's how I got the driver's side out with a deadblow hammer. ;-)

tommy compton
04-09-13, 01:51 PM
Yup, I 've never undid the ball joint for axle install or removal. I've removed the axles solo before, but having a buddy lift up on the hub while you jiggle out the axle splines from it, is fairly straight forward.

jmargo
04-09-13, 05:57 PM
Get a thread file...saved my bacon a few times.

JazMiller
04-09-13, 10:35 PM
Fixed!

I took a small file to the threads this evening and lined em back up. Spun the nut back on without issue. Thanks for the suggestions on this and the removal process guys!

-Jason