: 1994 Fleetwood rides like a tank.

theshowroomphx
04-09-13, 12:17 AM
Hello all, I just bought a Fleetwood from a private seller in Phoenix with a mountain of paperwork to boot. I'm in love with this car, but I can't help but notice it's lost the "Cadillac Float" over its 95 thousand mile lifetime in a garaged environment. I've had it for two weeks and every little bump on Arizona's roads gets transmitted into the cabin, and if I wanted massaging seats, I would have bought an S-Class.

Here are some things of note I'll throw out here to help solve this:

The tires are just over a year old going by their DOT codes on the sidewall. The specific model is the Hankook Mileage Plus II with lots of tread left on them and inflated to the proper tire pressure. Looks like they're wearing evenly, too. It feels like the vibrations get transmitted through the tiresas I'm not getting any feedback at all from the steering wheel.

Also the steering and wheel alignment doesn't seem to be affected, although it was seriously gusty today and I was fighting for control of the car on the I-10 for a few scary minutes.

The front strut mounts are original don't look collapsed under the hood, and I don't see the front of the car bouncing more than once if I push down on it and let go.

In short, this car doesn't dampen any road vibration at all since I've had it. My guess would be tire imbalance, but the car's age makes me think otherwise. It has sat in a garage infrequently, and I'm not sure how this could affect its ride. I would like some expert input on this issue.

jayoldschool
04-09-13, 12:21 AM
It doesn't have struts, it has springs and shocks. It's likely due for new shocks. Tires out of balance will give you a constant shaking that increases in frequency with velocity.

talismandave
04-09-13, 12:38 AM
Properly inflated to the sidewall PSI or the owners manual PSI?

BigCadMan_1
04-09-13, 12:47 AM
What jayoldschool said, start there.

Cadillac Giovanni
04-09-13, 01:30 AM
Check under the trunk lid and look at the RPO decal with all the equipment codes. See if you have an "FE1" or an "FE2". FE1 is "soft ride" and FE2 is "Performance and handling." I test drove an FE2 car once, and the difference was quite jarring after having driven an FE1.

Cadillacboy
04-09-13, 02:50 PM
We replaced rear shocks and tie rods a few years ago and may be a coupe of front stuffs that I don't remember , it handled poorly and rode like crap on uneven roads , and bounced too much as well . Now , it rides and handles well .

Cadillac Giovanni
04-09-13, 03:24 PM
We replaced rear shocks and tie rods a few years ago and may be a coupe of front stuffs that I don't remember , it handled poorly and rode like crap on uneven roads , and bounced too much as well . Now , it rides and handles well .

What was the solution? It just got better over time?

Benzilla
04-09-13, 03:27 PM
I think CadillacBoy meant that replacing the parts he mentioned was the solution to his problem. :)

My '79 has been very jarring recently as well, however I know the front shocks are ancient, and my front end is pushing 231k with no rebuild. Shocks make a huge difference!!! That's where I'd start.

Cadillacboy
04-09-13, 03:58 PM
Thanks Benzilla , this is definitely what I meant in my earlier message :) . I must add bushings were also replaced and it has been riding well since then :) . Still, it can't beat a car with an Airmatic but that's a different matter lol

Cadillac Giovanni
04-09-13, 07:50 PM
Actually, let me also suggest checking tire pressures. Some people overfill tires to an insane amount. Had a friend who was riding around in a Subaru Forester with 60 psi in each tire. I actually just decided to check mine, and they were 5 lbs. over-inflated. I let out some air, and just that made a world of difference.

Cadillacboy
04-10-13, 02:23 PM
60 psi ? :suspense: :cookoo: :suspect: lol
I assume your friend have some Airbus tires in his Forester , please forgive my message I could not resist :rofl: :hide:

TopherS
04-10-13, 05:11 PM
I agree that it is likely the shocks. The shocks on the car may not be in bad shape or old, but they may be a different type.

Years ago, I bought a 1985 Town Car that was immaculately maintained. The owner reported it had new shocks and tires on it. It rode so harshly. In looking at the shocks, they were a racing-type shock. I replaced those right away. The tires were a lower profile (but not very much so). I replaced those, as well. Made ALL the difference in the world...rode like a luxury car after that.

And as mentioned above, check for "FE1" or "FE2" on your SPID label. I owned a '95 Roadmaster with FE2 suspension (part of a towing package) and I drove a friends '94 Roadmaster with FE1 (Soft Ride Suspension). Very different ride between FE1 and FE2.

Hope this helps.