: Mod V1 or trade up for V2?

philistine
04-08-13, 10:54 PM
Do the V2's have a robust drivetrain? I'm just wondering the economics of purchasing the CS mod for a V1. I would kick myself if I got a V2 only to find out I needed to replace the differential etc. This mod sounds great but my wife's voice of reason says...just trade up for a V2, problem solved! I like my 2004 but I hate to throw away $ if it doesn't make sense. This is almost the price of a SC...then add the SC and you're in $12k - cheap.

The resale is plummeting on the V1's - difficult to decide on expensive mods. Any constructive discussion would be appreciated as I'm on the fence.

Thanks!

Bacon V
04-08-13, 11:15 PM
trade up and mod the V2

Naf
04-09-13, 01:51 AM
I agree, ditch the V1 and get the V2...Better seats, newer tech and more power to be harnessed at a lower price...

RyRidesMotoX
04-09-13, 03:17 AM
If you are going to get a V2 wait until the V3 is on the lots of dealerships. People will be selling the V2 for nothing or trading them in. I bet you could get one for mid 30s when the next gen comes out.

Personally I am gonna stay with the V1 because I like the look a little better, its lighter, and I can do whatever I want with it once is paid off in a year or 2. I wouldn't have a V2 paid off for a while cuz I dont have a money tree in the back yard.

rand49er
04-09-13, 07:40 AM
The whole premise assumes modding is a logical endeavor. It's not.

Having said that, the thing to do is sell the V1 before the V3 comes out. As stated above, the prices of V2s are going to drop when the V3 comes out, and the V1 prices will be squeezed down, too, as a result. Sell the V1 now, bank the money, buy a cheap DD, then jump on a V2 or a V3 when they come out and dump the DD for minimal loss.

My $0.02.

Andringa
04-09-13, 04:13 PM
As much as I love my V1, if it was financially possible and my wife was suggesting it, I'd probably go for the V2.

I thought I'd keep my V1 forever, but as it approaches 10 years old, I see a lot more routine maintenance on the horizon than mods.

sssnake
04-09-13, 05:46 PM
I like the look of the V1 better but that is purely subjective. Objectively the V2 is better in almost every aspect. Power - the V2 is much better starting point, more displacement and designed for FI. Ergonomics - the V1 was behind the curve when released and now a decade later it is very dated. Braking - larger rotors, six piston calipers. Handling - this is the only real toss up for me. The mag shocks are great but are they enough for what you want to do with the car and/or what is the real cost to mod.

You know all this stuff anyway but about a year ago I was trying to make a similar make/buy decision and it came down to the fact that I wanted to "make" something uniquely mine. If I bought the V2 I wasn't going to have the cash to mod it and I still really like the V1. So for me it all came down to the desire to check off building a performance car before I kick the bucket.

mackey
04-09-13, 06:21 PM
i'd keep the V1 and mod it for track/autoX only, then pick up a V2 or a C6 as a daily.

philistine
04-09-13, 07:15 PM
. You know all this stuff anyway but about a year ago I was trying to make a similar make/buy decision and it came down to the fact that I wanted to "make" something uniquely mine. If I bought the V2 I wasn't going to have the cash to mod it and I still really like the V1. So for me it all came down to the desire to check off building a performance car before I kick the bucket.

I know exactly what you mean. I just finished a different project car that took me 4 months to complete and the tuning is now finally done - it's an amazing feeling!

darkman
04-09-13, 07:55 PM
The wife is saying to get a V2 and you are resisting. I am still trying to picture this scenario.....

BigDaddy-V
04-09-13, 08:49 PM
Having only owned my 04 for right at a year, and still loving it, it would probably be cheaper to do routine maintenance and mod it if paid for. I love the thought of owning a V2 sport wagon bad, but you know what they say "Cheaper to keep her"!

Some day I hope to keep my first/current one for fun and drive a new one as my DD! Wife just doesn't know it yet!

BDV

UnsafeAtAnySpd
04-09-13, 10:08 PM
As the work begins on my weld in 4 point roll bar tomorrow, the decision has been officially made to stick with the V1 for me. That said, even having spent about as much in mods on my car as my purchase price, I'm still under what V2s are going for. Plus I've been enjoying (and cursing at times) the car for 5 years now.

philistine
04-09-13, 11:06 PM
As the work begins on my weld in 4 point roll bar tomorrow, the decision has been officially made to stick with the V1 for me. That said, even having spent about as much in mods on my car as my purchase price, I'm still under what V2s are going for. Plus I've been enjoying (and cursing at times) the car for 5 years now.

There is one thing I would rather have more than a V2...Edelbrock E-force in my V1. I know there are some dedicated members pioneering for the rest of us and it has not gone unnoticed! It is a mystery why that company doesn't make a kit. Old and new imports have a laundry list of options with detailed instructions...the V1 has so few.

Johnson
04-10-13, 12:52 AM
There is one thing I would rather have more than a V2...Edelbrock E-force in my V1. I know there are some dedicated members pioneering for the rest of us and it has not gone unnoticed! It is a mystery why that company doesn't make a kit. Old and new imports have a laundry list of options with detailed instructions...the V1 has so few.

I'm in the process of getting the parts together to do this, it doesn't seem like there is much customization needed to make the E-force work

trukk
04-10-13, 09:30 AM
I did both :D

-Chris

sssnake
04-10-13, 09:46 AM

Doing the e force now on an 07 so LS 2 with the LS 3 universal kit. I have hit a snag or two but nothing major. Of course I haven't started the car yet so I may have more issues than I am aware of...

sssnake
04-10-13, 09:49 AM

Sorry, for some reason the pic did not upload.

lollygagger8
04-10-13, 10:50 AM
Nothing looks sexier than the V1 IMO. The V2's are hot, but nowhere near the looks of the V1. The interior is better on the V2, but outside? No way. Plus the coupes are atrcious IMO. the quarter panel is half the car. The new ATS is super bon bon, but alot smaller.

Don't get me wrong...the V2 is very badass, but ask someone who has went from a V1 to a V2. They all say the same thing. The V2 feels waaaayyy heavier. You should ride in both and see which one you prefer. But the V2 starts off with more power, and put a pully and tune on it, and they wake the F up.

All that said, you could buy a modded V1 and keep modding it and still be way under the V2 price. But if my girl was telling me to get a V2, I'd have a very hard time resisting.

Oh and once you mod, you don't stop.

----------

Sorry, for some reason the pic did not upload.

Nice Yella Terras! :2thumbs:

Excuse my ignorance, what's the LS3 universal kit?

sssnake
04-10-13, 11:21 AM
Nothing looks sexier than the V1 IMO. The V2's are hot, but nowhere near the looks of the V1. The interior is better on the V2, but outside? No way. Plus the coupes are atrcious IMO. the quarter panel is half the car. The new ATS is super bon bon, but alot smaller.

Don't get me wrong...the V2 is very badass, but ask someone who has went from a V1 to a V2. They all say the same thing. The V2 feels waaaayyy heavier. You should ride in both and see which one you prefer. But the V2 starts off with more power, and put a pully and tune on it, and they wake the F up.

All that said, you could buy a modded V1 and keep modding it and still be way under the V2 price. But if my girl was telling me to get a V2, I'd have a very hard time resisting.

Oh and once you mod, you don't stop.

----------

Nice Yella Terras! :2thumbs:

Excuse my ignorance, what's the LS3 universal kit?

They make vehicle specific kits and universal kits. As they don't make a V1 kit and I wanted to use rectangular port heads so I went with the universal kit for the ls3 engine. There are a few extra things you have to do (ls2 to ls7 maf and map wiring) but so far nothing major.

philistine
04-10-13, 12:02 PM

Good advice on test driving the V2 first and compare - I've only compared platforms from reading. My wife made the suggestion based on age of the V1 and resale - we have a decent car budget and own 4 cars. She knows I like to turn wrenches and mod but I got into a disaster with one I just wrapped up and fixed after a local tuner completely F'd my toy up. Long story short her suggestion for a V2 would avoid any messy complications.

RaVeNous
04-10-13, 08:13 PM
In this forum of course people are going to say V2!

1) It looks better.
2) The car is in a different class in every way.
3) The car has an interior head and tails above the V1.
4) The platform can get crazy fast with somewhat little money, and things seem to hold up. This is only from research. I haven't modded and don't really plan to mod my car much if any. 560 HP is plenty for a daily driver.
5) The V2 is an icon. The V1 is not. The V1 maybe have been the first, but it didn't challenge the rest of the world in the way the V2 did, does, and will continue to do.
6) Prices on the V2 have come down, but are still holding some good value assuming you didn't pay sticker to begin with. I wouldn't wait another 6 months or longer for the next V. Who knows how long before the Vsport and true V3 are available. I don't see the desire of the market dumping the V2 for the V3 either. The V3 will be an $80,000 car and most likely will not hit the world with the same wow factor of the V2, though you can bet it will be fantastic.
7) Get a V2 while you can still find one with a factory warranty and the option to extend it. Find one with low miles before they are all modded up and beat to shit like 03 Cobras and 1998 Supra's.
8) I think the V2 set the bar high enough all around that its not going to lose its relevancy for several years. I'm not going to toot my own horn and say its the bench mark to the car world that the M series is; however, it will remain a very significant player in the bench mark for an American sports sedans by which all others are judged. The platform came out in 2008-2009 and is still way faster/better than all but the most recent offerings at significantly higher prices.

----------

The V1 was not a light car at 3900lbs. Would a professional driver notice 3900lb curb weight vs 4200lb? Maybe, I'm not saying it isn't an insignificant amount; however, track times don't lie. The V2 is known for handling much better than what the curb weight says. Is this because of how its balanced, where the weight is, and or how all of the fancy traction control and magnetic ride control plays in? Probably. I think the V2 is in a whole other higher class of cars.

thebigjimsho
04-12-13, 01:34 PM
I did both :D

-Chris

Me too. Kinda...

----------

In this forum of course people are going to say V2!

1) It looks better.
2) The car is in a different class in every way.
3) The car has an interior head and tails above the V1.
4) The platform can get crazy fast with somewhat little money, and things seem to hold up. This is only from research. I haven't modded and don't really plan to mod my car much if any. 560 HP is plenty for a daily driver.
5) The V2 is an icon. The V1 is not. The V1 maybe have been the first, but it didn't challenge the rest of the world in the way the V2 did, does, and will continue to do.
6) Prices on the V2 have come down, but are still holding some good value assuming you didn't pay sticker to begin with. I wouldn't wait another 6 months or longer for the next V. Who knows how long before the Vsport and true V3 are available. I don't see the desire of the market dumping the V2 for the V3 either. The V3 will be an $80,000 car and most likely will not hit the world with the same wow factor of the V2, though you can bet it will be fantastic.
7) Get a V2 while you can still find one with a factory warranty and the option to extend it. Find one with low miles before they are all modded up and beat to shit like 03 Cobras and 1998 Supra's.
8) I think the V2 set the bar high enough all around that its not going to lose its relevancy for several years. I'm not going to toot my own horn and say its the bench mark to the car world that the M series is; however, it will remain a very significant player in the bench mark for an American sports sedans by which all others are judged. The platform came out in 2008-2009 and is still way faster/better than all but the most recent offerings at significantly higher prices.

----------

The V1 was not a light car at 3900lbs. Would a professional driver notice 3900lb curb weight vs 4200lb? Maybe, I'm not saying it isn't an insignificant amount; however, track times don't lie. The V2 is known for handling much better than what the curb weight says. Is this because of how its balanced, where the weight is, and or how all of the fancy traction control and magnetic ride control plays in? Probably. I think the V2 is in a whole other higher class of cars.

I take issue. The V2 is no more the icon than the V1 was. When the V1 came out, it very much challenged the best sedans out there, performance-wise.

The V2 does not look any better. It looks more aggressive, sure. But it lost the classic simplicity the V1 had.

As for weight, IT MATTERS! That's been my #1 beef of this car from day 1. You can definitely feel the weight. The V1, at 3850lbs, was still tossable. The V2 is not. At Summit Point Shenandoah, whine the V2 test mules would spank me on the straights, I could keep them at bay, and pull, in the tight corners that track provides.

For those that can appreciate communicative handling, you will lose that going to V2.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. I think the V2 is awesome. The improvements will make the jump worth it to a lot of you. But I don't love it like I loved my '04. That V1 has character in spades. The V2 is very advanced, very refined. It lost some of that character.

Test drive a V2 first.

trukk
04-16-13, 08:41 AM
Me too. Kinda...

----------

I take issue. The V2 is no more the icon than the V1 was. When the V1 came out, it very much challenged the best sedans out there, performance-wise.

The V2 does not look any better. It looks more aggressive, sure. But it lost the classic simplicity the V1 had.

As for weight, IT MATTERS! That's been my #1 beef of this car from day 1. You can definitely feel the weight. The V1, at 3850lbs, was still tossable. The V2 is not. At Summit Point Shenandoah, whine the V2 test mules would spank me on the straights, I could keep them at bay, and pull, in the tight corners that track provides.

For those that can appreciate communicative handling, you will lose that going to V2.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. I think the V2 is awesome. The improvements will make the jump worth it to a lot of you. But I don't love it like I loved my '04. That V1 has character in spades. The V2 is very advanced, very refined. It lost some of that character.

Test drive a V2 first.

Having both in my driveway currently, and having driven both on the track (albeit minimally with the V2, and it is a wagon), I totaly agree with TBJS's comments.

The V1 was/is special because it was such a "WTF IS THAT!" car. Z06 Power: Check. BMW M Slapper: Check. Manual Transmission Only: Check. Unique Looks: CHECK CHECK CHECK! The design of the V1 to me is more iconic. There is nothing that looks like it. Lower is a tad, and add some more meat to the tires, and it looks just plain scary.

The V2 is certainly more refined, but it's just not quite as viceral as the V1. Even with ultraview delete, the V2 is still porky. Going from V2 to V1 is like going from a 5 Series to a 3 Series in feeling of weight (even though size wise they aren't much different.)

From a mechanical stand point, my guess would be once out of warranty, you will probabaly be spending more on the V1 than V2. Quite frankly you will probabaly offest that cost by the added fuel cost of the V2 over the V1. The V2 is an absolute *PIG* on gas as compared to the V1. "try hard' gas milleage on the V2 is closeer to 20 MPG; on the V1 it's 30.

If you want an around the town type of car: V2 is hard to ignore
If you want a power monster: V2 is hard to ignore (so much power available for limited investment)
Want to mod the car a lot: probabaly V2, as there are a lot of things that need to be fixed on the V1 prior to heavy modding it (rubber be gone!)
If you want a track car: V1 *hands down*
If you want to drive the iconic V: to me that is the V1.

Best solution is to have both :D

Just my $0.02.

-Chris

lollygagger8
04-16-13, 09:43 AM
In this forum of course people are going to say V1!

1) The V1 looks better.
2) The two cars are different in alot of ways.
3) The V2 has a much better interior that the V1.
4) The platform can get crazy fast with somewhat little money, and things seem to hold up. This is only from research. I haven't modded and don't really plan to mod my car much if any so I can't really talk about much of anything as far as mods.
5) The first generation CTS-V also posted a lap time of 8 minutes 19 seconds at Germany's famed Nürburgring Nordschleife, competitive with rivals such as the Mercedes-Benz C55 AMG, BMW M5, and Lexus IS-F
6), 7), 8) blah blah blah ribble rabble blah

Fixed.

yooper
05-06-13, 11:49 PM
IMO, V1 with complete V2 drivetrain (less the magnetic ride control), best of both worlds.

philistine
05-07-13, 11:00 AM
IMO, V1 with complete V2 drivetrain (less the magnetic ride control), best of both worlds.

All these responses are great! We decided to refinance our house on a 10year loan and take advantage of the low interest rates and that took a bite out of V2 car payments.

Looks like the V1 will get some drivetrain mods...and clutch. While rowing through the gears this past Sunday and bouncing off the rev-limiter - clutch gave out. My father was visiting out of town and wanted to race. He was driving my S2k and I was trying to catch him in the caddy...ugh! We were going to get some video of it but the caddy broke on the second run. I had the boost dialed down to 12 psi on the s2k for a more even match. I lost to wheel-hop on the get-go then after a recovering, I started to gain some ground then lost the clutch between shifts. After that, the wife said...ok fix your car, I'm refinancing the house.

trukk
05-07-13, 11:52 AM
All these responses are great! We decided to refinance our house on a 10year loan and take advantage of the low interest rates and that took a bite out of V2 car payments.

Looks like the V1 will get some drivetrain mods...and clutch. While rowing through the gears this past Sunday and bouncing off the rev-limiter - clutch gave out. My father was visiting out of town and wanted to race. He was driving my S2k and I was trying to catch him in the caddy...ugh! We were going to get some video of it but the caddy broke on the second run. I had the boost dialed down to 12 psi on the s2k for a more even match. I lost to wheel-hop on the get-go then after a recovering, I started to gain some ground then lost the clutch between shifts. After that, the wife said...ok fix your car, I'm refinancing the house.

Sounds like a good plan! have fun.

-Chris

thebigjimsho
05-07-13, 12:56 PM
It's always nicer when you really don't have to decide...

philistine
05-24-13, 05:07 PM
I took a tour and got to see the ProChargers at work on the Camaro SS's and the SRT8s. They give lower IAT's and on the LS6 they make ~540 HP with a stock bottom and up to ~700 hp with a built bottom end. The Dodge I witnessed made about 700 hp@12 psi, pretty neat. It's a PITA install for DIY but I'm still considering it. I have to get my other beast finished and then focus on the CTS-V.

liqidvenom
05-26-13, 01:01 AM
Everything has been said so far but to add to it, the V1 was a special vehicle mostly to American buyers and to people who where also pumped about the gto coming back. the V2 has global reach and people tend to regard it as a vehicle that has moved the sports sedan relm forward in the same vain as the m3/m5/rs4 sedans.

thebigjimsho
05-26-13, 08:55 AM
Everything has been said so far but to add to it, the V1 was a special vehicle mostly to American buyers and to people who where also pumped about the gto coming back. the V2 has global reach and people tend to regard it as a vehicle that has moved the sports sedan relm forward in the same vain as the m3/m5/rs4 sedans.

You are so vein...

liqidvenom
05-28-13, 09:47 PM
its the caddy rubbing off on me

HAMSTAR
05-28-13, 10:57 PM
The economics just make sense. I can save the money I'd be making in payments and put them towards mods on the V1. It's fun and rewarding.

In 5 years, I'll probably sell on, get a V2 and do the same.

thebigjimsho
05-29-13, 10:29 PM
its the caddy rubbing off on me

Do you have a whether vain?

RicMoon
06-27-13, 03:50 PM
I love my 05 V1, 2nd owner, since 34k miles Jan 2008. now 131k modded as things broke or went bad...had the same concerns on wanted to trade up. Paid it Off 3yrs early, Saved $9800 on interest payments.. No payments, Great compliments when fueling up..Pricele$$.

rand49er
06-27-13, 09:10 PM
Do you have a whether vain?You're so vane.

thebigjimsho
06-28-13, 10:26 AM
I bet you think this song is about ewe.

liqidvenom
06-28-13, 11:49 AM
ohhh noes

thebigjimsho
06-29-13, 11:40 PM
Are there clowns in your coffee?

repenttokyo
07-03-13, 02:04 PM
Another thing to consider: the V1 is a rare vehicle, only about 7,000 made. The V2 is much more common. If there comes a time when modern Cadillacs are collectible, the V1 will be more desireable than the V2.

253ctsv
07-03-13, 07:14 PM
Another thing to consider: the V1 is a rare vehicle, only about 7,000 made. The V2 is much more common. If there comes a time when modern Cadillacs are collectible, the V1 will be more desireable than the V2.

I think wiki says about 12k V1s not that that's many more...

izcain
07-03-13, 11:38 PM
I wonder how many of them are still decent clean titled vehicle and not wrecked or otherwise? would be cool to know.

2004ctsv
07-04-13, 09:17 AM
I wonder how many of them are still decent clean titled vehicle and not wrecked or otherwise? would be cool to know.

Probably more than you think. I'm guessing that there were more than a few guys like me who ran our muscle cars from the 60's into the ground when we were young. After getting married and raising kids and suffering through station wagons and mini vans saw the 2004 V as a prize to be taken care of. Sure, I put a Maggie on mine and drove it at the track a couple times, but the car is pristine.

We'll see which of the grandkids skips generations and loves cars like Pap does. He or she will have a bitchin' ride in 15 years.

RyRidesMotoX
07-04-13, 10:10 AM
Probably more than you think. I'm guessing that there were more than a few guys like me who ran our muscle cars from the 60's into the ground when we were young. After getting married and raising kids and suffering through station wagons and mini vans saw the 2004 V as a prize to be taken care of. Sure, I put a Maggie on mine and drove it at the track a couple times, but the car is pristine.

We'll see which of the grandkids skips generations and loves cars like Pap does. He or she will have a bitchin' ride in 15 years.

If you want you could adopt me... Lol. I don't think I would ever sell me V to get another V. I can do enough stuff to this thing to make me happy performance wise. And I'm pretty sure there isn't a 400hp car that is this price.

BigDaddy-V
07-04-13, 10:18 AM
Well said MotoX! I see new V2s and think man I really want a wagon! It is 556 horse wagon! Why not! But then I think about how mine is still in great shape and I will not ever run out of things to do to it! All that being said I still might get me a wagon someday when I get the grandkids!

BDV

repenttokyo
07-04-13, 02:04 PM
I think wiki says about 12k V1s not that that's many more...

it's close to twice as many, though.

253ctsv
07-04-13, 03:35 PM
it's close to twice as many, though.

I think it's still a pretty rare car. That's why it's so cool. And the "what that things got a manual?" And "I can't believe that sound came from that" I think in the future the V1 will be very collectible

repenttokyo
07-04-13, 06:16 PM
I think it's still a pretty rare car. That's why it's so cool. And the "what that things got a manual?" And "I can't believe that sound came from that" I think in the future the V1 will be very collectible

no, I agree - I think I misread your post, sorry.

liqidvenom
07-05-13, 11:48 AM
You are going to be waiting a while before that happens. and honestly with the assault that the V2 has put on the automotive landscape the V1 might be just a footnote in Cadillac history.

I mean today if you compare a V1 to a e46 m3/ c55 amg/ v8 s4 price used car price wise, we arent looking so good. which is why i wonder about the people who have 04 V1's with 40k on them... not much value to be saved by not driving it.

----------

I can just imagine you in a grand wagoneer.....im so sorry.

philistine
07-05-13, 12:42 PM
Nobody in my area knows if I have a V1 or V2. They always ask "is that the 550hp version cts"? I tell them it doesn't have the supercharger and that it's naturally aspirated for 400hp at the crank - I get the deer caught in the headlights look followed by a few wide-eyed blinks. I'm leaning towards modding it with the promise of the recent TT kit that may be developed.

I think the general audience assumes all Vs have the same output and nobody has ever guessed the year I'm driving...2004. I have all the chrome repainted black and also black powder coated wheels. As far as modding goes, I'm at a loss trying to get any good info forging the bottom for FI. The reply I get is that the LS6 bottom is good for 8psi but take it down to 6psi for safety and invest in the valvetrain instead. I'm gonna poke around my local speedshop and see what they recommend for a bottom end build or replacement for more boost - 12psi max goal.

repenttokyo
07-05-13, 01:35 PM
You are going to be waiting a while before that happens. and honestly with the assault that the V2 has put on the automotive landscape the V1 might be just a footnote in Cadillac history.

[COLOR="Silver"]

if any modern cars become collectible, yeah, it would take many, many years. but the most collectible versions of a car are typically its first year of production, which, combined with lower production numbers, favors the V1 over the V2. It's not really about how 'good' the car is compared to later years, it's about its perceived collectibility. Everyone knows the C4 Vette is 'better' to drive than say a C3 or C2, but they aren't collectible yet, and if they ever do become collectible, it would most likely only be the ZR1's that people want - because of the rarity.

Andringa
07-08-13, 10:23 AM
I don't have time to search right now. But production numbers have been discussed quite a bit over the years I believe total production for the V1 is believed by most people that have spent time looking at it to be under 10k. Something like 9500 total from 2004 to 2007.

253ctsv
07-09-13, 12:32 AM
I don't have time to search right now. But production numbers have been discussed quite a bit over the years I believe total production for the V1 is believed by most people that have spent time looking at it to be under 10k. Something like 9500 total from 2004 to 2007.

Wikipedia says
2004 2,461
2005[23] 3,508
2006 3,052
2007[24] 1,176

Total us sales. It's just over 10k. Idk if there were any more produced and sold in other countries. Or if Wikipedia is that inaccurate. Not that I think the difference is that big of a deal. Still pretty rare imo

RyRidesMotoX
07-09-13, 01:23 AM
Where is that Cadillac customer service rep when you need her... I bet Cadillac has those numbers stored in their systems somewhere.

2004ctsv
07-09-13, 09:02 AM

I mean today if you compare a V1 to a e46 m3/ c55 amg/ v8 s4 price used car price wise, we arent looking so good. which is why i wonder about the people who have 04 V1's with 40k on them... not much value to be saved by not driving it.

----------

I can just imagine you in a grand wagoneer.....im so sorry.

Actually, sold the old g35 for a new XC 60. I like the 3 liter turbo in sports mode. 325 ft- lbs of torque in the hills of western PA is just about enough. And $1200 for the polestar upgrade is stupid money for 25 bhp.

And I hope everyone else drives their 2004 V's like they stole them.

12race
07-11-13, 11:37 PM
Just my 2c, was facing same scenario, elected to keep my 06' V1 - starting a 402 stroker build in about a week. Already have the entire Creative Steel 8.8 drive line to handle the power. Just something about V1's that make them special.

philistine
07-11-13, 11:58 PM
Just my 2c, was facing same scenario, elected to keep my 06' V1 - starting a 402 stroker build in about a week. Already have the entire Creative Steel 8.8 drive line to handle the power. Just something about V1's that make them special.

Yeah I decided to keep and build as well. CS 8.8 is coming tomorrow. I have a goal of 600-700whp and want to shove 10-12psi at it. I called Texas Speed, Wiseco, and Callies...all pretty much came up with the same advice - build the bottom.

Wiseco pistons [10-K444X3903] -11cc dish
Callies Compstar Hbeam 6.125" [186-CSC6125DS2A2AH]
Comp Cams 921 Dual Spring Kit (.650")

I'm looking at the LG Motorsports G5X cam - something streetable for forced induction. I haven't decided on pushrods or rockers yet. Pretty soon, I'll be shopping prices.

liqidvenom
07-12-13, 02:38 AM
hey i like my car like the next guy, but the fact that this question even gets asked and people having to defend why they stay with the V1.

If i had spare money to move around i would invest my mod money into a better performance platform which is the V2.

12race
07-12-13, 12:47 PM
Yeah I decided to keep and build as well. CS 8.8 is coming tomorrow. I have a goal of 600-700whp and want to shove 10-12psi at it. I called Texas Speed, Wiseco, and Callies...all pretty much came up with the same advice - build the bottom.

Wiseco pistons [10-K444X3903] -11cc dish
Callies Compstar Hbeam 6.125" [186-CSC6125DS2A2AH]
Comp Cams 921 Dual Spring Kit (.650")

I'm looking at the LG Motorsports G5X cam - something streetable for forced induction. I haven't decided on pushrods or rockers yet. Pretty soon, I'll be shopping prices.

Nice - I am trying to be ready for standing 1/2 mile race Sept 14th in Clayton GA. I have run in a couple so far, running 140's MPH with current mods. more info at WannaGoFast web site. This comnpany gets access to private airstrips typically about 5,000 and provide heads up racing for 1/2 mile.

Using my LS2 block with 225 Trick Flow heads, everything else is going to be new. It will be set up and tuned for 93 pump gas all motor should net around 520 - 540 to wheels. :thumbsup:

253ctsv
07-12-13, 01:16 PM
hey i like my car like the next guy, but the fact that this question even gets asked and people having to defend why they stay with the V1.

If i had spare money to move around i would invest my mod money into a better performance platform which is the V2.

What other late model car would people debate on weather they should keep the older model or get the new one? I think to the contrary of what you said. the fact that people even consider keeping a first gen over trading for a second gen says volumes about what a great car it is.

thebigjimsho
07-27-13, 03:05 AM

And the extra 350lbs...

liqidvenom
07-27-13, 03:30 AM
if weight was as serious as you make it seem no one would buy any of the V vehicles due to them being.... well very heavy for its class.

thebigjimsho
08-03-13, 03:34 AM
if weight was as serious as you make it seem no one would buy any of the V vehicles due to them being.... well very heavy for its class.

None of the V cars are heavy for their class. Have you tossed both a V1 and V2 on an autocross course?

I have seen 2 V2 preproduction mules bear down on me at Summit Point Shenandoah but me bear down on them in the really tight turns when I was in my V1...

liqidvenom
08-03-13, 05:48 PM
despite what the class the cts is going to be marketed as when its in V trim, the cts has ( for its first two generations) been targeted at the entry level luxury vehicle class which includes the c class/3 series/a4/a5/g35 etc. granted it has always been dimensional a hybrid of the entry level and mid level luxury class ( 3 series interior size with a near 5 series exterior size). with that being said the the cts has always been heavier than its class based competitors and in v trim it the weight difference is larger.

granted many want to think the cts has always been a 5 series competitor and thus a m5 fighter it isnt by default. it just makes more hp than its classed based vehicles from other companies. which made things like magazine competitions tend to favor pairing the v2 against things like the e63 and m5. but magazines dont dictate a vehicles class, its price tends to.

and i have tracked my V1 and driven a v2 on a different track. both handled great, with no complaints from me. but compared to other vehicles in their natural class, they feel heavier than m3's of similar years fo example

philistine
08-08-13, 11:27 PM
I'm about to breath some life back into my V1. After my travel schedule I plan to install the following:

1. CS 8.8 complete kit with upgraded CVs
2. Katech LS9X clutch
3. Shifter bandaids, UUC & PISNUOFF bushings
4. Racetronix hotwire kit with DS300 fuel pump

This should resolve many of the street drivability complaints I have with the V1 and prep for some power. I'm going to drop the tank for the fuel pump upgrade but cut an access door while it's dropped. I'm going to use a sheet metal nibbler and fab a cover with gasket.

The reason I chose to mod the V1 vs. purchasing the V2 is because I like the looks of the V1 and of course the journey with the mods. I really didn't see enough of the difference to jump to a V2. The V1 is kind of an empty canvas - there are multiple SC and turbo options.

RyRidesMotoX
08-10-13, 12:14 PM
Sweet. Are you doing all that yourself? I would love to start modding my V1 next year. Darn weddings... Soon, though, I will have my supercharger and then I will take over the galaxy.

philistine
08-10-13, 06:32 PM
It's all going to be done in my garage. I plan to do it all myself but I have a few buddies that wanna help.

12race
09-21-13, 09:46 PM
It's all going to be done in my garage. I plan to do it all myself but I have a few buddies that wanna help.

How is your project? My STroker build is finished, tweaking the tune. Maybe a meet along I 20 halfway between ATL and BHM sometime and check out the V1's :yup::lildevil:

philistine
09-22-13, 02:52 PM
How is your project? My STroker build is finished, tweaking the tune. Maybe a meet along I 20 halfway between ATL and BHM sometime and check out the V1's :yup::lildevil:

The project is going smoothly but very slow - so many things are getting replaced and/or modded. I was hoping to get a few laps at Barber's but all my time has been put in this project. Post some pics of that stroker and a few details. Definitely have to do a meet sometime.