: 96' sts

wr3k3d
04-08-13, 11:29 PM
96 STS drove it til it was at 25% oil life left, took it too get an oil change, and as im in a store they call and say no oil registered on the dip stick so they didn't want the liability.. so i buy 5 quarts and put it in.... it had a rough idle before but was pretty much cleaned after a throttle body cleaning, now i brought up codes and it has a random misfire, 02 sensor, and the reason my traction control light is on..i forgot... but the misfire was before ran out of oil and pretty sure its cylinder 5, and im pretty sure it inst getting a spark from the plug because im pretty positive oil is in it... there was a little oil in cylinder 6 and 8, cleaned it and it never came back, if i change plugs will i be good? and 02 sensor? if u can help thank you.

120,000 miles always been takin care of from previous owner as i can tell. no paint chips, few rips only in driver seat everything else flawless,bought at 115,000

really love this car, lemme know if you can help!! much appreciated

EChas3
04-09-13, 12:11 AM
You'll find better advice on the Seville forum as this area is frequented by owners of the 2005 & up STS. Unfortunately, oil life monitors are not he same as oil level monitors.

Good luck!

MoistCabbage
04-09-13, 12:45 AM
:welcome:

drove it til it was at 25% oil life left, took it too get an oil changeThat's a waste of oil, and money.

and as im in a store they call and say no oil registered on the dip stick so they didn't want the liability..Oil capacity is 7.5 quarts. The dipstick will be dry with ~5.5 quarts remaining, and that's about when the oil level warning will be triggered.

so i buy 5 quarts and put it in...Why 5 quarts? We're you checking the level as you poured it in, or did you just pour it all in?

now i brought up codes and it has a random misfire, 02 sensor, and the reason my traction control light is on..i forgot... but the misfire was before ran out of oil and pretty sure its cylinder 5The only thing our onboard scanner can't do, is specify which cylinder/s is/are misfiring. Have a parts store scan the codes for you, and they can tell you.

and im pretty sure it inst getting a spark from the plug because im pretty positive oil is in it... there was a little oil in cylinder 6 and 8, cleaned it and it never came backOil in the plug wells is normal, and oil is an electrical insulator, so it won't cause a misfire.

if i change plugs will i be good?Possibly. Plugs and wires are due by 100K, using only the correct AC Delco plugs. Delco wires are recommended as well.

The O2 sensor would not cause a misfire.