: ELC question

firstimecaddi
04-08-13, 08:19 PM
Something is wrong with the level control and I would like to get it resolved but I am not sure how to go about it.

When I insert the key and turn ON no start the compressor immediately starts up and runs for a couple minutes making this humming/buzzing noise. It runs, even during the start up process. It will then go off, but will come back on intermittently, even while driving. By the time I get to work, which is a 45 mile jaunt I would have heard that compressor come on about 3 or 4 times and I can't pinpoint what sets it off...road conditions etc. It also tends to happen every time I shut off and park...

...for example, on a run to the store, one might pump gas, run inside fix a coffee then get in line to pay...come back to hear the humming/buzzing noise.

Please advise accordingly. what the best way to proceed?

jayoldschool
04-08-13, 09:05 PM
There's a leak somewhere. The initial long run is to fill the now empty shocks, then it continues to cycle as the air leaks out. Get it up in the air, running, with a spray bottle of soapy water, disconnect the sensor arm , move it up (to command fill), and start spraying connections, shocks, air lines. Bubbles will appear at the leak.

firstimecaddi
04-09-13, 07:26 AM
not too bad, except I have no access to a lift. but thanks for the info.

jayoldschool
04-09-13, 11:11 AM
You don't need a lift to get under a car. You need a jack and a couple of jack stands.

Cadillac Giovanni
04-09-13, 12:35 PM
You don't need a lift to get under a car. You need a jack and a couple of jack stands.

...and NERVES OF STEEL.

jayoldschool
04-09-13, 04:40 PM
There's no need to be afraid of getting underneath a car if you have taken the appropriate safety precautions and supported the car in the correct locations with suitable supports (and wheel chocks where applicable).

YoshiMan
04-10-13, 11:28 PM
So long as it isn't a bottle jack! I learned that the hard way when i was 16.

cadillac kevin
04-10-13, 11:40 PM
So long as it isn't a bottle jack! I learned that the hard way when i was 16.

My dad's E350SD van came with a bottle jack. Apparently a normal jack wasn't good enough to lift a van that can weigh over 10000 lbs.

turbojimmy
04-11-13, 06:36 AM
...and NERVES OF STEEL.

Try rolling around under the limo. It's nerve wracking. But then I consider that I can't bench press a normal-sized car either, so the end result would be the same.

But like jay said, use common sense and you'll be fine. Make sure you're on a solid, level surface. In my decades of working on cars in hundreds of different places, I only had one fall down - and it was just a few months ago. I had jacked up my Avalanche in my brother's gravel driveway to try to wrestle the spare out from underneath it (the assembly that holds it up rusts and it won't release). I had it on jackstands and on the jack. Wheels weren't blocked though. I had gotten out from under it to fetch a bigger hammer when I saw it rolliing. It fell on top of the jack and crushed the jackstands. I had to find yet another jack to get the other jack out. Lesson learned (chock the wheels!).