: run flat tire replacement

myronf
04-08-13, 07:19 PM
Looking at buying a luxury ads, but I am leery of the run flats.

Question: When I am ready for new tires, can I put regular tires on? I assume the wheels and tps's are the same for either type of tire?

Thanks
Myron

zr1mom
04-08-13, 07:35 PM
You can put regular tires on the tps should work but note you will not have a spare if you get a flat.

mikesul
04-08-13, 10:00 PM
Make sure you match the TPS's to the same location they were, RF, LF, etc. Then you won't have to resync them.

myronf
04-09-13, 07:55 AM
good advise. By the way, does that mean that you can't rotate without synching?

Bertha D Blues
04-09-13, 08:08 AM
good advise. By the way, does that mean that you can't rotate without synching?If your dealer rotates tires for you they will resync the TPS's. If you rotate them you'll need to resync yourself or have a shop with the sync tool do it for you. Bert

bungee91
04-09-13, 09:45 AM
My dealer reprograms my TPMS sensors for me for free when switching between my winter and stock wheel sets. They both are complete sets with sensors installed. I swap them myself and then just bring it in. They said they'd do this at anytime needed, free of charge.

Hoosier Daddy
04-09-13, 10:22 PM
If you rotate them you'll need to resync yourself
Where can I find the procedure?

SLA
04-09-13, 11:19 PM
Where can I find the procedure?

It's very easy. On your steering wheel d-pad you just press up up down down left right left right engine start.

reciprocity
04-11-13, 07:11 PM
Cute, SLA! :bigroll:

From page 10-55 of the manual:

1. Set the parking brake.
2. Place the vehicle power mode in ON/RUN/START.
3. Make sure the Tire Pressure info display option is turned on. The info displays on the DIC can be turned on and off through the Settings menu.
4. Use the five-way DIC control on the right side of the steering wheel to scroll to the Tire Pressure screen under the DIC info page.
5. Press and hold the SEL button located in the center of the five-way DIC control. The horn sounds twice to signal the receiver is in relearn mode and the TIRE LEARNING ACTIVE message displays on the DIC screen.
6. Start with the driver side front tire.
7. Place the relearn tool against the tire sidewall, near the valve stem. Then press the button to activate the TPMS sensor. A horn chirp confirms that the sensor identification code has been matched to this tire and wheel position.
8. Proceed to the passenger side front tire, and repeat the procedure in Step 7.
9. Proceed to the passenger side rear tire, and repeat the procedure in Step 7.
10. Proceed to the driver side rear tire, and repeat the procedure in Step 7. The horn sounds two times to indicate the sensor identification code has been matched to the driver side rear tire, and the TPMS sensor matching process is no longer active. The TIRE LEARNING ACTIVE message on the DIC display screen goes off.
11. Press STOP to turn the ignition off.
12. Set all four tires to the recommended air pressure level as indicated on the Tire and Loading Information label.

Others may be able to chime in to confirm whether letting air out of the tires in this sequence allows you to accomplish this without an expensive relearn tool like past Cadillacs allow. It's interesting that nothing is mentioned about this in the manual if it's still possible.

IBMike
04-22-13, 09:40 AM
Why are you leery of run flats?

Made me think of all the people who swore they could brake better than ABS and would never buy a car with it.

myronf
04-22-13, 07:14 PM
Hard riding, noisy, short life, and if you get a flat there is a good chance that you will be replacing the tire or tires. If you need a tire you may be out of business for 3 days while it is being shipped.

IBMike
04-23-13, 01:34 AM
Hard riding, noisy, short life, and if you get a flat there is a good chance that you will be replacing the tire or tires. If you need a tire you may be out of business for 3 days while it is being shipped.

well when you put it that way... :)

Once you get the car, I'd offer up the wheels here in the classified section; maybe you could get someone to take them off your hands for a decent price. Once you get a buyer you could put new ones on and send off the old ones and be happier sooner. If they don't sell, then just let it ride.