: horrible FM reception?

jph
04-08-13, 08:06 PM
so, today was the first day that i did my daily commute to work in the new ATS.
it's the standard radio/cue/nav system that comes with the 3.6 premium (if that makes a difference)

i've been listening to the same radio station in the morning for the last couple of years, and none of my previous cars, had any problem tuning in and giving my nice static free reception.
this morning however, the ATS served me with static about 50% of the time.
is there a trick, or option to make FM reception any better?

J.

Stevo Supremo
04-09-13, 01:06 AM
nope, no tricks or options, the FM reception in the ATS is simply shit

-Steve

bravnik
04-09-13, 11:18 AM
Could not agree more. FM sucks especially in the bay area where FM sucks no matter what. It simply sucks a little more in the ATS and the HD going in and out just makes it every worse. Pandora FTW!

jph
04-09-13, 12:54 PM
damn! not what i wanted to hear :(

J.

Neuroleptic
04-09-13, 08:38 PM
Actually I complained about the FM radio reception the first week I had the car. The dealer replaced the shark fin thing and my radio reception is much improved. Still not as good as my old 2004 Accord but better than it was before.

flycaster
04-11-13, 03:11 PM
Unfortunately, the FM on my Lux also gets much more static than I've encountered on any of my other cars. Come to think of it, never got static on my other cars' FM, and I ahve been driving for 50 years. Be nice if Cadillac would own up to this and do something about it!!! Hey Caddy, are you listening or is this a ploy to get us to buy into Sirius?

romanats
04-12-13, 04:45 PM
picked up my ATS yesterday and my favorite station in NY is horrible cannot listen at all will take it to a dealer next week

romanats
04-16-13, 03:39 PM
I asked service manager to replace my shark fin and he said your FM antenna is on the rear glass

Neuroleptic
04-16-13, 04:16 PM
They said they replaced the radio antenna, and it seems as though i mistakenly assumed it was the shark fin :hide:
Tell them to replace the FM antenna then!

romanats
04-16-13, 10:11 PM
the radio antenna is in the rear glass its impossible to replace it

jph
04-17-13, 12:12 AM
maybe there's a signal booster somewhere in between the antenna and the head unit.?
or in this case... there should be one?

J.

Hoosier Daddy
04-17-13, 12:42 AM
Can't those exact same problems be caused by a metalic tint or a poor tint install that damaged some of the wires? Might be worth checking out.

flycaster
04-17-13, 08:57 AM
Can't those exact same problems be caused by a metalic tint or a poor tint install that damaged some of the wires? Might be worth checking out.

That certainly is a possibility, but I get static and haven't tinted yet. BTW, when I do tint, I will be using a ceramic tint as that will not interfere with my radio, nor my radar detector.

Bertha D Blues
04-17-13, 09:20 AM
I haven’t experienced static but there’s one HD station that cuts out when I go into a valley. My main concern is that I occasionally lose FM and AM reception entirely. No stations can be heard. XM, SD and Bluetooth continue to work when this happens. Typically, the radio will work for 5-12 minutes after starting the car and then die. My dealer supposedly checked it out when CUE was updated but I doubt they did anything. Maybe there’s a bad cable connection from the antenna? Bert

gfxbt
04-17-13, 12:00 PM
What's FM? Is that kind of like an 8-track? Just kidding. Sorry to hear the FM reception is no good. Use XM. They're willing to wheel and deal on the price. Tell them what you want to pay for it, and they may just say ok. They did for me . . .

jph
04-18-13, 01:00 PM
What's FM? Is that kind of like an 8-track? Just kidding. Sorry to hear the FM reception is no good. Use XM. They're willing to wheel and deal on the price. Tell them what you want to pay for it, and they may just say ok. They did for me . . .

unfortunately, the (local) station that i listen too is not available on XM :)

my tint has been scheduled for the first week of next month, so, that's not possible at this point.
also, the tint that will be installed is madico wincos, which is non metallic. so it shouldn't be a problem once that's on either.

where is customer support? they pop up in almost all other threads reporting problems ;)

J.

rustybear3
04-19-13, 02:50 AM
My FM reception has been excellent....especially the HD stations, which we have plenty of in the Cleveland area. Between HD FM and my Pandora, I have no need of XM paid radio....:thumbsup:

Bullsweet
04-19-13, 10:31 AM
My FM is a little crappy also. It jumps back and forth between analog and HD. The HD sounds better but because it never stays in HD for long it's annoying. I'm not sure if it is the car or the signal but when I'm listening to FM I prefer my other car or the apps on my phone.

Cadillac Cust Svc
04-20-13, 10:47 PM
My FM is a little crappy also. It jumps back and forth between analog and HD. The HD sounds better but because it never stays in HD for long it's annoying. I'm not sure if it is the car or the signal but when I'm listening to FM I prefer my other car or the apps on my phone.

Hello Bullsweet,

I am looking into this issue for you and will get back with you as soon as I have the accurate information. If you would like, you can contact the CUE Infotainment system at 855-428-3669; hours of operation are Monday to Friday 8:00am to 10:00pm EST; Saturday 8:00am - 4pm EST. Have a great night. Please let me know if I can help answer or guide you with other questions or concerns as well.Thank you.

Sincerely,
Laura M.
Cadillac Customer Service

flycaster
04-21-13, 07:25 AM
Hello Bullsweet,

I am looking into this issue for you and will get back with you as soon as I have the accurate information

Hi Laura, glad to see that Caddy is apparently paying some attention to our concerns. However, as far as radio reception goes, I am rather surprised to see that you are "...looking into the issue..." At this point it is rather very obvious that there are MAJOR problems with radio reception nationwide. I have been driving for fifty years and have never ever had such problems with radio reception as I now have with my new ATS. Favorite FM stations here in the Boynton Beach,FL area are full of static or they (particularly HD stations) go in and out of focus. You (Caddy) are getting all kinds of user reports on this issue and here you are saying that you will look into it. Come on, if you don't know the problem a this point and still have to do some research, then all you are doing is putting us off! You guys know there is a problem and not owning up to the obvious is only going to serve as a negative reminder as to stay away from Caddy with my next auto buy.

73JPS
04-21-13, 10:40 AM
Hi Laura, glad to see that Caddy is apparently paying some attention to our concerns. However, as far as radio reception goes, I am rather surprised to see that you are "...looking into the issue..." At this point it is rather very obvious that there are MAJOR problems with radio reception nationwide. I have been driving for fifty years and have never ever had such problems with radio reception as I now have with my new ATS. Favorite FM stations here in the Boynton Beach,FL area are full of static or they (particularly HD stations) go in and out of focus. You (Caddy) are getting all kinds of user reports on this issue and here you are saying that you will look into it. Come on, if you don't know the problem a this point and still have to do some research, then all you are doing is putting us off! You guys know there is a problem and not owning up to the obvious is only going to serve as a negative reminder as to stay away from Caddy with my next auto buy.

I think it is quite unfair to be making these statements. Firstly, SEVEN complaints on a forum does not equal "MAJOR problems with radio reception nationwide". Secondly, from Cadillac's point of view, if they don't start by "looking into it", what is it exactly that you are expecting them to do... without looking into it first?

Perhaps Cadillac would like to "look into" whether or not bad reception effects a certain production run of cars? Or would you prefer that they just issue a nationwide recall of all ATS's tomorrow, and keep them all until they find a fix -to a problem that may only effect a small percentage of cars?

I agree that it looks like there might be a problem, but if there is, Cadillac is clearly not at a point where they would know the root cause, let alone have a fix.

flycaster
04-21-13, 11:30 AM
Making some reasonable points, 73; perhaps I am too quick to condemn then for not being on top of the radio problem. Nonetheless, I'm willing to bet the farm that there are many more folks out there with the types of radio problems reported herein. I know that many posts on forums, in general, are made by those who have a problem. However, I'll also bet the house (farm is gone) that there are many out there who never get onto a forum to report their problems. There are many instances out there where car problems were noted on forum for years before the manufacturer did anything about it...if they ever did.

Right now, I do have unacceptable radio problems. Also, living in SoFL, I will need to have more tinting put on (cars come with 70% tinting which allows 70% light transmission, but don't know how much solar energy is blocked...probably not too much), but I can't do it until this radio problem is solved. What would happen if I put on tinting and Caddy then tells me that I have to have the rear antenna replaced? Will they also pay to have the back window re-tinted???

73JPS
04-21-13, 12:11 PM
Fair enough. My experience has been that my FM radio reception has been pretty poor on all of the cars I have had that have had the antenna integrated into the rear window. I should be getting my ATS in the next week, and although I don't listen too much to FM any more I'll report back on my experience. In the mean time I'll pay more attention to the reception on my 6 for the (hopefully) few remaining days that I have it.

jph
04-21-13, 04:53 PM
fwiw...

over the last 9 years that i've lived in this area (san francisco south bay), me and my wife have owned 6 cars. out of those 6, the ATS is the only one that has given me FM reception problems, listening to local stations.

one of my previous cars had a metallic tint, and antenna in the rear window, and still no reception problems at all.

J.

Cadillac Cust Svc
04-21-13, 05:21 PM

Hello flycaster,

I am sorry you are dealing with poor radio reception. We look at every customer's concerns on a case by case basis. If you are having issues, we are more than happy to help you with your specific problems. When we say we are looking into it, it is for that individual vehicle. All customer statements are documented and stored and may be accessed by many departments at General Motors. Please let me know if you would like us to help you with your specific concerns you are experiencing with your radio reception on your vehicle. We do care and value each customer by gathering information and then guiding the customer in the right direction to get their vehicle concern fixed.

Sincerely,

Laura M.

flycaster
04-21-13, 06:26 PM
Hi Laura. I take back all the bad things I said or insinuated, as I can see Caddy is paying attention. It's my wife's drive and I haven't driven it much, but I will tell you that there are several local FM stations that get static. I've been living here for 13 years and my BMW's never had this problem. I would like to drive a little longer to get a more specific handle on just which stations are problematic before I seek help. However, I would like to hear just how you would be helping me if I was ready to go for help.

Cadillac Cust Svc
04-21-13, 06:49 PM
Hi Laura. I take back all the bad things I said or insinuated, as I can see Caddy is paying attention. It's my wife's drive and I haven't driven it much, but I will tell you that there are several local FM stations that get static. I've been living here for 13 years and my BMW's never had this problem. I would like to drive a little longer to get a more specific handle on just which stations are problematic before I seek help. However, I would like to hear just how you would be helping me if I was ready to go for help.

Hello flycaster,

Thank you for the response. The first step would be you private messaging me on this forum with some personal information. Then I would advise you to take your vehicle into a local Cadillac dealership so the service department could properly diagnose and check the issue to see if they can fix the problem. If the dealership would be unable to fix the issue then we would engage in GM's internal resources as necessary to rectify the situation and make sure your vehicle will properly function how you want.

Sincerely,
Laura M.

PAO56
04-24-13, 05:37 PM
the tinting question is addressed in the owners manual and it specifically states do not use a metallic tint on the rear window as it may interfere with radio reception.....not an tint expert so dont know if a ceramic tint makes a difference or not...In the great Northern VA, DC, MD area here and havent noticed a difference in FM reception from my 09 CTS, 12 SRX......and yes the radio antenna is on the rear window......owners manual also states not to use any sharp objects on the window to avoid damage as well if my memory serves me correctly

DavidL
04-25-13, 01:31 PM
I sympathise with those who are having FM reception problems; my ATS has no such problems; the FM reception is no different than any other car I've owned. I especially like the HD ability of the radio.

Hoosier Daddy
04-25-13, 01:41 PM
I sympathise with those who are having FM reception problems; my ATS has no such problems; the FM reception is no different than any other car I've owned. I especially like the HD ability of the radio.
So it sounds like a bad batch of some component, or temporary problem on the assembly line, or random dealer caused problems.

Bertha D Blues
04-25-13, 02:43 PM
I havenít experienced static but thereís one HD station that cuts out when I go into a valley. My main concern is that I occasionally lose FM and AM reception entirely. No stations can be heard. XM, SD and Bluetooth continue to work when this happens. Typically, the radio will work for 5-12 minutes after starting the car and then die. My dealer supposedly checked it out when CUE was updated but I doubt they did anything. Maybe thereís a bad cable connection from the antenna? Bert

My car is having it's amplifier replaced today to fix the dead-air problem I'm having. My service rep talked to Cadillac Engineering about it. He was told that Cadillac has had problems with this amplifier. My problem is sporadic so only time will tell whether the new amp fixes it. Generally, my FM reception is good. This amplifier is located in the trunk under the package tray and, presumably, amplifies the signal from the antenna. Itís possible that those of you with reception problems may have a bad (or improperly connected) amplifier too. If I determine that the amp wasnít my problem, Iíll provide an update. Bert

flycaster
04-25-13, 02:51 PM
I also await the results of your amp swap. I'll need to put tinting on to reduce the SoFL heat, but as my FM reception is also spotty, I'd hate to think that there was something wrong with the antenna and it needed changing...after I had the tint put in.

Bertha D Blues
04-26-13, 09:20 AM
There are two locations on my daily commute where I always lose the signal from one HD FM station. It's temporary until I come out of the valley. Today, with the new alplifier installed there was no loss of the signal. Clearly, the old amp was weak. And since the amplifier is located under the package tray, it's easy to access for repair or replacement. Bert

jph
04-26-13, 03:49 PM
do all ats models have that same amp?

J.

flycaster
04-26-13, 05:18 PM
Yeah, I guess I have drive my car more often to see just which stations are getting hung up with static and/or fading. Good to know that the problem may be related to the amplifier and not the antenna.

Dave3283
04-26-13, 06:21 PM
FM and Sat reception are both very poor

DavidL
04-29-13, 12:53 PM
FM and Sat reception for me are excellent.

Hoosier Daddy
04-29-13, 01:28 PM
FM and Sat reception for me are excellent.
I got lucky as well. I also get good FM, HD and Sat reception. I even get good sat reception inside my closed garage with a second story above it.

73JPS
04-29-13, 02:04 PM
Hey your car is not on a train any more: congrats! Seems to me it was on a train for a month or more :)

Hoosier Daddy
04-29-13, 03:29 PM
Hey your car is not on a train any more: congrats! Seems to me it was on a train for a month or more :)
It finally arrived 4 weeks after it was put on a train (according to GM). As I mentioned in another post, I could have walked from the factory to the dealer sooner with 8 hours of nightly sleep and leisurely meals. But the car is great and the memory of the wait is fading fast.

I'm still surprised I can get satellite in the garage. I assumed it would be similar or more difficult to get a good signal than with GPS. Which reminds me, do these cars remember their last GPS location because when I activated OnStar from the closed garage, the operator said "I see you are at home". Also the Nav shows my current location in the garage, something no other Nav I had did, so I'm assuming it is remembering the last location with line of sight to the satellites (my driveway).

Cadillac Cust Svc
04-30-13, 12:33 AM
It finally arrived 4 weeks after it was put on a train (according to GM). As I mentioned in another post, I could have walked from the factory to the dealer sooner with 8 hours of nightly sleep and leisurely meals. But the car is great and the memory of the wait is fading fast.

I'm still surprised I can get satellite in the garage. I assumed it would be similar or more difficult to get a good signal than with GPS. Which reminds me, do these cars remember their last GPS location because when I activated OnStar from the closed garage, the operator said "I see you are at home". Also the Nav shows my current location in the garage, something no other Nav I had did, so I'm assuming it is remembering the last location with line of sight to the satellites (my driveway).

Hello Hoosier Daddy,

Glad to hear you have your vehicle! Enjoy driving it :) If you ever have concerns or issues please let us know!

Sincerely,

Laura M.

Anthony31188
05-02-13, 02:20 PM
anyone use pandora? I was pretty excited to see the Pandora icon on my CUE but every time I have tried it it says that there is an error :(

bravnik
05-02-13, 02:25 PM
anyone use pandora? I was pretty excited to see the Pandora icon on my CUE but every time I have tried it it says that there is an error :(

I use it everyday as my primary means of audio. Works like a champ for me. I apologize ahead of time for asking this but as an IT Manager I have learned to start at the basics when troubleshooting. Do you have your phone connected to the system with Pandora installed on it? You need the phone for the data connection as the CUE has none and you need Pandora installed.

Anthony31188
05-02-13, 02:32 PM
I use it everyday as my primary means of audio. Works like a champ for me. I apologize ahead of time for asking this but as an IT Manager I have learned to start at the basics when troubleshooting. Do you have your phone connected to the system with Pandora installed on it? You need the phone for the data connection as the CUE has none and you need Pandora installed.

Yeah I have pandora on my phone. Do you turn the pandora on your phone before you hit the pandora icon on the CUE? I have tried it every way and all the CUE ever says is "error- please check your audio device" or something. It's weird because when I play regular music on my iphone through the bluetooth it works fine. But like I said as son as I switch over to pandora and hit the little icon on the CUE, it's an error message right away.

bravnik
05-02-13, 02:59 PM
Strange but sorry I can't help as I use an Android phone. There might be a Bluetooth issue or something with the iPhone. I'm sure one of the iPhone guys will chime in on this soon.

romanats
05-02-13, 03:08 PM
mine only works with a cable cannot streem pandora over blutouth

Bertha D Blues
05-02-13, 03:15 PM
I have an Andriod phone too and it works fine. I just touch the CUE's icon and it starts Pandora on my phone. My only complaint is that I need to remember to maximize my phone's media volume when using Pandora because it affects the CUE volume. I've forgotten that step twice when the media volume was low. When I switched from Pandora to FM, the FM volume was LOUD! Is your IPhone's media volume off? Worth a look. Bert

romanats
05-02-13, 03:17 PM
for thoes of you who have it working do you have Navigation

Bertha D Blues
05-02-13, 10:31 PM
for thoes of you who have it working do you have Navigationno nav for me.

Hoosier Daddy
05-02-13, 10:49 PM
for thoes of you who have it working do you have Navigation
Yes .

Anthony31188
05-03-13, 05:36 PM
finally looked at the manual....you can't steam pandora over your cue with an Iphone!!! Android and BLACKBERRY only. Blackberry....really??

the only way to use the pandora on your cue is to plug your iphone into the usb port in the center console. I keep my phone mounted to the left of the steering wheel. 1-the usb won't reach the center console, 2- I keep my phone plugged in the cigarette lighter so it charges while I drive.

this is a big FAIL for the Cue.

73JPS
05-03-13, 06:16 PM
finally looked at the manual....you can't steam pandora over your cue with an Iphone!!! Android and BLACKBERRY only. Blackberry....really??

Yeah, imagine that.... some of us actually still use and prefer Blackberry. Anyway, I say that tongue in cheek, and although I am a bit of an Apple dis-liker, perhaps there was some architectural reason that the iPhone couldn't stream Pandora over CUE with an iPhone.

Back to the original thread topic: I have found the FM reception is fine for the whole 2 days I have had the car, FWIW.

Cadillac Cust Svc
05-04-13, 10:19 PM

Hello Anthony31188,

I am sorry you are experiencing issues when trying to connect your phone to the CUE system while playing Pandora. If you private message me with your name and VIN, I am more than happy to assist you with this concern. However, the CUE center that I need to make contact with on your behalf are closed until Monday.

Sincerely,

Laura M.

bravnik
05-06-13, 11:16 AM
Obviously the next big thing is already here and it's not iPhone :) Time to step up to a real phone!

Seriously though. My bet is it's the way the iPhone works vice the Que. Apple is simply a PITA to work with on developing apps and has a lot of restrictions in their approval process that might cause the app to not work as you would expect.

romanats
05-07-13, 12:58 PM
well the only way it will work is through the USB cable this is waht they told me CUE Costomer Service. So there is nothing we can do about that

Anthony31188
05-07-13, 04:10 PM
well the only way it will work is through the USB cable this is waht they told me CUE Costomer Service. So there is nothing we can do about that

yup told me the same thing, its not an option for me though since I need to have the phone mounted to the left of my steering wheel and the usb plug doesn't reach from there.

romanats
05-08-13, 12:16 AM
its a joke

jph
05-10-13, 02:48 PM
Customer service, are you still following this?

since people are getting their amps replaced, and it seems to fix the problem, is there a way to see if i have the "defective" amp, or not?
i'm assuming i do.

and what do i need to tell my dealership in order to get it replaced? apparently they are not aware of any "amp replacements".

J.

mbk2010
06-09-13, 10:38 PM
I'm using Tunein over bluetooth with great success.

http://tunein.com/

blackhawk
07-30-13, 01:58 PM
Making some reasonable points, 73; perhaps I am too quick to condemn then for not being on top of the radio problem. Nonetheless, I'm willing to bet the farm that there are many more folks out there with the types of radio problems reported herein. I know that many posts on forums, in general, are made by those who have a problem. However, I'll also bet the house (farm is gone) that there are many out there who never get onto a forum to report their problems. There are many instances out there where car problems were noted on forum for years before the manufacturer did anything about it...if they ever did.

Right now, I do have unacceptable radio problems. Also, living in SoFL, I will need to have more tinting put on (cars come with 70% tinting which allows 70% light transmission, but don't know how much solar energy is blocked...probably not too much), but I can't do it until this radio problem is solved. What would happen if I put on tinting and Caddy then tells me that I have to have the rear antenna replaced? Will they also pay to have the back window re-tinted???

I agree, I'm having poor FM reception in my XTS also when compared to my wife's mercedes or even nissan. so there are quite a few of us out there with poor radio reception. The dealer has looked at it once and could find nothing wrong. After, I escalated with the dealership they have offered I bring the car back and they'll again take it up with the Caddy engineers. I'm wondering if I suggest to them to either replace the amp or check the antenna grounding as suggested in some of the posts here. Will keep everyone posted on this saga.

Muffin
07-30-13, 06:23 PM
My fm stinks also. Always searching HD. And is garbled But I believe GM and service will say can't duplicate it. So no issue found. Per usual no resolution. C U E =. Customer Unpredictable Experience

bravnik
07-30-13, 07:31 PM
I have an Andriod phone too and it works fine. I just touch the CUE's icon and it starts Pandora on my phone. My only complaint is that I need to remember to maximize my phone's media volume when using Pandora because it affects the CUE volume. I've forgotten that step twice when the media volume was low. When I switched from Pandora to FM, the FM volume was LOUD! Is your IPhone's media volume off? Worth a look. Bert

FYI - The Galaxy S4 maintains different volume sets for your media. My old DNA did what you are talking about with Pandora I had to adjust to max in the car and down when using my headphones. The S4 I turn the volume up when streaming bluetooth to the car and then just plug in my headphones and the phone is at the setting I last used with the headphones. It even keeps different volumes for all your media. I use Pandora and Audible both and it remembers the settings of both so I don't ever have to adjust the volume. It's SOOOOO nice. So when you switch to FM its all good to go.

David
07-31-13, 11:50 AM
I think there was a post earlier about this; the amplifier in the trunk was the problem. I've had my ATS since December; no problems at all with FM. Check this out with your dealer.

Cadillac Cust Svc
07-31-13, 12:04 PM
I agree, I'm having poor FM reception in my XTS also when compared to my wife's mercedes or even nissan. so there are quite a few of us out there with poor radio reception. The dealer has looked at it once and could find nothing wrong. After, I escalated with the dealership they have offered I bring the car back and they'll again take it up with the Caddy engineers. I'm wondering if I suggest to them to either replace the amp or check the antenna grounding as suggested in some of the posts here. Will keep everyone posted on this saga.

Hello blackhawk,

I am sorry you and others are experiencing poor FM reception. I understand how this is frustrating to deal with. I see you are working with the dealership again on this issue and that you were going to keep everyone updated after your next visit. If you would like to further discuss this concern, I am more than happy to do so. I can be reached via private message.

Laura M.
Cadillac Customer Care

flycaster
07-31-13, 03:16 PM
3,600+ views on this topic out of how many may have this problem, but don't even know that these forums exist? Once again, it is nice to know that someone from Caddy corporate is monitoring these problems, but don't you think it is about time that Caddy owned up to the need to fix the HD reception problem instead of just holding our hands, or sending us off to the dealership who denies the problem? I've got the intermittent HD reception problem and so far my dealership has opted out by giving the following EXCUSES:
1. Not on a strong local station. Wrong, HD fades in/out while on a strong local station.
2. You are probably going through a "dead spot" when this happens. Wrong again as this doesn't happen with my 11 year old BMW 325 (that was traded in for the ATS), nor has it happened with with the many cars I have driven during the past 50 years.
3. Passing clouds will cause disruptive interference. Wrong, give me a break...never happened with other cars.

Now, wait a second. In all honesty, I have been complaining about FM HD reception and not simple FM stereo reception. The contrary examples I gave were with simple FM stereo reception, so maybe there is something to this intermittent HD reception. Ah, I know what it might be: Be it simple FM or HD FM, it all should work and it doesn't. Time for Caddy to own up to the fact that they have put out an unacceptable product and fix it without all the crap they are putting us through.

rspitler
07-31-13, 03:35 PM
I would like to offer my opinion on this perceived HD problem.

HD is a digital signal. It's either there or it's not. The same as a digital TV signal. When the signal is weak the picture will pixelate for a bit. I believe the same thing is happening with the AM HD. As you drive around, the signal will loose some power like you hear on AM or FM distortion. But the digital signal experiences the same distortion since it is after all riding on the AM or FM frequency. So, as the signal fades in and out, that causes the digital portion to dropout as well. Like I said before, digital, it's there or it's not. The reason you still hear the station is because that portion of the signal is still there in its AM or FM analog form.

GJB
07-31-13, 05:00 PM
I would like to offer my opinion on this perceived HD problem.

HD is a digital signal. It's either there or it's not. The same as a digital TV signal. When the signal is weak the picture will pixelate for a bit. I believe the same thing is happening with the AM HD. As you drive around, the signal will loose some power like you hear on AM or FM distortion. But the digital signal experiences the same distortion since it is after all riding on the AM or FM frequency. So, as the signal fades in and out, that causes the digital portion to dropout as well. Like I said before, digital, it's there or it's not. The reason you still hear the station is because that portion of the signal is still there in its AM or FM analog form.

My TV does not go 0 to 60 in 5.4 seconds. Than what is the point of having HD radio (digital signal) in a moving vehicle? I believe the issue people are having with HD is not that it loses HD signal occasionally its that its constantly dropping and going into acquiring signal mode which is very noticeable. If you’re going to add tech to a product it should work or don’t add it.

Muffin
07-31-13, 05:06 PM
Thanks fly caster like I been saying seems there hasn't been one single resolution pointed out in these forums just like you said hand holding and same script. Seems maybe if this would be posted on like CNN it might get there attention because so far it's very frustrating and by the time maybe they GM wake up we won't be cadillac customers anymore. Me still holding my breath

rspitler
07-31-13, 05:17 PM
My TV does not go 0 to 60 in 5.4 seconds. Than what is the point of having HD radio (digital signal) in a moving vehicle? I believe the issue people are having with HD is not that it loses HD signal occasionally its that its constantly dropping and going into acquiring signal mode which is very noticeable. If you’re going to add tech to a product it should work or don’t add it.

Tell you what. Pick up an indoor over the air antenna that picks up local HD TV stations. Walk around the room with the antenna and see what happens. What does 0-60 in 5.4 seconds have to do with anything? Not a bright statement

GJB
07-31-13, 06:05 PM
Tell you what. Pick up an indoor over the air antenna that picks up local HD TV stations. Walk around the room with the antenna and see what happens. What does 0-60 in 5.4 seconds have to do with anything? Not a bright statement

"not a bright statment" well its right up there with your petty reply. First my point was not directed at your physics lesson and I think most forum readers without sensitivity issues understood my intent. The rub is a car moves and if moving is why the HD radio in the ATS does not work well than it should not be in the car. My "not a bright statment" was purley a refrence to movement.

and sorry I do not have an indoor antenna for my TV and if I did I would not be walking around the room with it. Have not had one since cable and satelite were available but I'll take your word for it.

rspitler
07-31-13, 06:16 PM
"not a bright statment" well its right up there with your petty reply. First my point was not directed at your physics lesson and I think most forum readers without sensitivity issues understood my intent. The rub is a car moves and if moving is why the HD radio in the ATS does not work well than it should not be in the car. My "not a bright statment" was purley a refrence to movement.

and sorry I do not have an indoor antenna for my TV and if I did I would not be walking around the room with it. Have not had one since cable and satelite were available but I'll take your word for it.

Obviously you are not a techy type of person or you would not be commenting on something you know absolutely nothing about

GJB
07-31-13, 06:39 PM
Obviously you are not a techy type of person or you would not be commenting on something you know absolutely nothing about

Obviously you are a techy type of person or you would not be commenting on something you know absolutely nothing about.

Mom always said never argue with an idiot because they will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience. So it looks like you beat me.....

rspitler
07-31-13, 07:08 PM
Obviously you are a techy type of person or you would not be commenting on something you know absolutely nothing about.

Mom always said never argue with an idiot because they will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience. So it looks like you beat me.....

Typical response. Name calling.

flycaster
07-31-13, 07:11 PM
Tell you what. Pick up an indoor over the air antenna that picks up local HD TV stations. Walk around the room with the antenna and see what happens...

Although you are quite right about the TV analogy, the fact still remains that if Caddy couldn't stop the HD drifting during testing (if they ever tested it?), then they never, never should have brought out this product. As I see it, there are three possible solutions: Either fix the problem for us, or advertize HD FM as a feature that will play intermittently (truth in advertising, ya' know), or give us back the cost of this supposed feature.

rspitler
07-31-13, 07:26 PM
Although you are quite right about the TV analogy, the fact still remains that if Caddy couldn't stop the HD drifting during testing (if they ever tested it?), then they never, never should have brought out this product. As I see it, there are three possible solutions: Either fix the problem for us, or advertize HD FM as a feature that will play intermittently (truth in advertising, ya' know), or give us back the cost of this supposed feature.

Ok let's blame Cadillac for atmospheric conditions, tall buildings, trees and anything else that obstructs radio signals.

JavaGirl
07-31-13, 07:36 PM
Is there any way for those of you experiencing this problem to turn off the HD portion of your radios, and force your ATS to only process traditional FM? If so, flycaster, then compare traditional FM in your ATS to the FM you have received in your area over the years on the other cars you owned in the past. Eliminating HD from the variables will then give you a better ATS radio to other cars' radios comparisons.

----------

I doubt if flycaster's problems are due to obstructions. Apparently he has lived in the same area for years, and owned many cars which did not exhibit this problem. Assuming flycaster is telling the truth (and I see no reason to doubt him) this is a logical conclusion, if he can turn off HD and still see inferior performance of the ATS radio compared to the years of radio reception history he has in his area in FL.

flycaster
07-31-13, 08:10 PM
Hey folks, you've got some good points. I have never had a car HD radio, so when I bought the ATS I never gave reception a thought as I was thinking "great" FM reception and not this PITA. Simply assumed (I know, I know...when you assume, you make an...) that the HD would play as faithfully as the FM...My bad. Unfortunately, I have to agree that getting mobile HD right is probably a tough nut to crack. So, I now feel that Caddy should have, at the very least, given us some indication that HD play would be intermittent under certain conditions...which is what I think they are doing after the fact when they bring up their "excuses." Nonetheless, it now looks like they were well aware of these problems, but still brought the HD FM function out.

BTW, one can just play simple FM...but is that what we paid for? I'm still holding Caddy's toes to the fire...

rspitler
07-31-13, 08:35 PM
Article on HD:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HD_Radio

richardbbarger
07-31-13, 11:16 PM
Is there any way for those of you experiencing this problem to turn off the HD portion of your radios, and force your ATS to only process traditional FM?
That might work for some stations, but not if you're trying to listen to HD2 or HD3, which only operate in HD, as I understand it.

flycaster
08-01-13, 09:52 AM
HOW TO TURN OFF HD.

For those who may have missed this when reading your ATS manuals (specifically the one on the CUE Infotainment System...http://www.cadillac.com/content/dam/Cadillac/Global/master/nscwebsite/en/home/Owners/Manuals_and_Videos/01_images/2013_xts_cue_manual_v1.pdf#%FE%FF%00P%00D%00F%00_% 00S%00u%00b%00S%00e%00c%00t%00_%001%00_%000%002), bottom right hand side of page 11: After you have selected Audio Menu, within the dropdown list you will see HD Radio Switching" which states:

"For AM and FM only, press to turn HD reception on or off. Press to go back to the previous menu."

rspitler
08-01-13, 11:16 AM
I too live in FL and although the area is relatively flat, the ocean air, temperature, humidity, condos etc does have an affect on radio signals.

You also stated that flycaster "owned many cars which did not exhibit this problem", I would add that those cars did not have HD radio. We all took static for granted and probably didn't notice nor care about it before.

What about the XM radio? Does anyone notice dropouts? I do periodically. But both my vehicles experience the dropouts in the same places so I attribute that to satellite coverage.

I applaud Cadillac for attempting HD. There isn't much of a market yet. Kind of like the 3D TV fiasco.

ben.gators
08-03-13, 09:28 AM
My FM reception "seems" to be weak too! I say "seems" because I never have been into listening to the radio. So I am not the best judge here. This is my experience: I play with CUE until I find a station that play the music that I like! I drive, and after a while that station is gone.... I am not sure the problem is with my radio or the signals are weak at some areas. I live on a rock, so I won't be surprised if we don't have good stable signals all over the island!

blackhawk
08-09-13, 10:36 PM
So, the Cadillac engineers traced the poor FM recepton problem to the radio. The dealer replaced the radio unit on my XTS and now FM radio static is normal and I can listen to FM again. What impressed me most was that not only did the dealer call me but also Cadillac corporate called me as well the very next day to inquire if I was satisfied with the new radio and if the problem was resolved. So far so good. So, you don't have to live with static - it does appear that Cadillac is serious about customer satisfaction, so go to your dealer and have them investigate. The dealers don't have experience with ATS and XTS issues as these are new cars and they need to call on the Cadillac engineers for resolution. Good luck.

Muffin
08-09-13, 10:49 PM
So, the Cadillac engineers traced the poor FM recepton problem to the radio. The dealer replaced the radio unit on my XTS and now FM radio static is normal and I can listen to FM again. What impressed me most was that not only did the dealer call me but also Cadillac corporate called me as well the very next day to inquire if I was satisfied with the new radio and if the problem was resolved. So far so good. So, you don't have to live with static - it does appear that Cadillac is serious about customer satisfaction, so go to your dealer and have them investigate. The dealers don't have experience with ATS and XTS issues as these are new cars and they need to call on the Cadillac engineers for resolution. Good luck.
That's great can they contact me also. Same issue I just listen to cd now. But love help for my cue fm also

trimtab81
04-01-14, 02:35 PM
Add my name to the list...the reception in my ATS is absolutely terrible...HD is constantly switching in and out (due to "poor signal") so I simply disabled it. As for reception of FM stations, I must agree with flycaster, it is not a problem I have had with previous vehicles...I'm hoping my dealer will be willing to work with me and replace the suspected signal amplifier. I am also plagued with the rough cold idle experienced by many other 2.5 drivers and have yet to track down a phantom rattle coming from somewhere around the rear deck. I suspect my stay at the dealership will be a lengthy one...maybe I'll have enough time to shop around for a new car. :yup: