: right front turn signal not working

cadillac kevin
04-08-13, 06:18 PM
I have a problem with my 86 FWB. The right turn signal does not work (lights stay bright and don't blink when you turn on the signal). The left side works fine.
I tried the hazard switch, and the left side worked fine and the right rear worked fine, but the right front stayed constant bright. I tried replacing the turn signal bulb and even the running lights on the right front, but it still stays constantly bright when the signal is on. Does anyone have any ideas? I checked all the running and signal lights on the car, and they all work. I'm guessing maybe a bad socket or a bad ground (couldn't find the ground for the turn signal bulb on the right front)

csbuckn
04-08-13, 07:10 PM
The easy way out of this would be to get an electric flasher instead of a thermal one. For whatever reason, your blinker circuit is not heating up the thermal flasher enough for it to blink(break).

Edit...is it just the front but the back blinks?

AElayyat
04-08-13, 07:17 PM
If the right side don't work front & back it's the flasher, easy fix.

IF its only the front not working you may have other issues going on...

cadillac kevin
04-08-13, 07:19 PM
The right side doesn't work when it's on blinker.
When it's on flasher, only the right front doesn't work.

AElayyat
04-08-13, 08:01 PM
The right side doesn't work when it's on blinker.
When it's on flasher, only the right front doesn't work.

Got ya..I had a similar problem a while back with my 85, my issue was that the the turn signal bulb had a broken contact, changed the bulb & all was good again.

I would also look at the wiring to make sure nothing is broken.

Hopefully your issue is a simple fix.

cadillac kevin
04-08-13, 09:47 PM
Got ya..I had a similar problem a while back with my 85, my issue was that the the turn signal bulb had a broken contact, changed the bulb & all was good again.

I would also look at the wiring to make sure nothing is broken.

Hopefully your issue is a simple fix.

I thought it was the bulb, but I changed it for a new bulb and still have the same problem (wouldn't think a new bulb would be defective). According to the FSM, its either an open ground or the signal switch.

jayoldschool
04-08-13, 10:11 PM
Swap the bulbs side to side to completely rule the bulb out.

cadillac kevin
04-08-13, 10:28 PM
Swap the bulbs side to side to completely rule the bulb out.

Will do (thankfully, I haven't replaced the rear fillers yet, so I can just reach in and get a bulb from the backside). IIRC, I didn't have a problem until I changed my front turn signal lenses from orange to clear (and the bulbs from clear to orange)

mjs182004
04-08-13, 10:43 PM
I had the same issue. It turned out to be a broken wire towards the back by the drivers side taillight (this problem was on the drivers side). I just wire nutted them together for the time being, and when I get time, I will solder them back together. The guy who had it before me spliced into the taillight harness for the trailer wires. lets just say, that it was not done properly.

csbuckn
04-08-13, 11:20 PM
I know some bulbs have a high and low side. Maybe its in backwards if its possible with that bulb. Usually noticeable by how one running light is brighter then the other.

cadillac_al
04-08-13, 11:47 PM
Try an extra ground wire on that light. I had an issue once with a weak ground and now that blinker housing has 2 ground wires.

cadillac kevin
04-08-13, 11:50 PM
Try an extra ground wire on that light. I had an issue once with a weak ground and now that blinker housing has 2 ground wires.

I don't even know where the factory ground is for that light. I'm guessing I should splice into it and run a wire to the core support or inner fenders?

1980coupe
04-09-13, 03:11 AM
The ground wires are tied into the harness and its bolted to the radiator support.
Check to see if all the bulbs are the right numbered model for the application
Also it could be your directional signal switch is going bad. Thats located on the steering column.

cadillac kevin
04-09-13, 12:16 PM
Figured I'd resolve this issue (in case anyone has the same problem). The bulb was in backwards. Glad it was a pretty quick and easy fix