: SRX Order 2013 or wait for 2014?

jimmyjoebob
04-08-13, 06:06 PM
Hello all, new to the forum and I've enjoyed reading everything I can about the
SRX. Here's my dilemma: if I want a 2013 I'll need to order it by 5/26. I want the Premium, Platinum Ice, Shale with Brownstone, Drivers Assist package and 12
spoke chrome wheels. A few other options also but they can be added later. OR... I
can wait until the end of the year and look at the 14's. The longer I have to save, the less I'll have to finance. What scares me though is I heard a rumor that the SRX will be replaced with a smaller platform vehicle (CUV vs SUV.). If that's the case, I'm ordering the 13!! Has anyone heard what's coming for 2014? Thanks!

cadillac kevin
04-08-13, 06:10 PM
The srx is a CUV. It always has been. If you want an SUV, get an escalade.

jimmyjoebob
04-08-13, 06:17 PM
I guess I wasn't very clear. The rumor I heard was the new 14, smaller platform, would compete with Audi Q5, Acura RDX, etc - the smaller CUV's. Escalade way too big. SRX perfect

Rolex
04-08-13, 09:19 PM
:moved: to the SRX forum. :wave:

adamjeeps
04-08-13, 10:13 PM
If you think it is perfect now, order exactly what you want. Also, most all the bugs have been worked out of the 10-13 platform, you may not want to be a beta tester for a new redesign 2014.

Likely
04-08-13, 10:21 PM
Order the 2013, you won't be unhappy...You are assured that the price on the 2014 will be up a grand or more!!!! If you are happy with 2013 get it now and enjoy the ride...I love my 2013, so much better than the 2010, especially the 3.6 engine..So much smoother then the 3.0...

TheCaptain
04-09-13, 06:56 AM
The mid cycle enhancement just happened in 2013, so no major changes are scheduled for the SRX for at least another 3-4 years.

antdre20
04-09-13, 08:39 AM
I'm a 1st time SRX guy but let me tell you, I really enjoy the smoothness and power my 2.8 turbo has to it. Mine is a 2010. No complaints here.

Marc NY
04-09-13, 09:16 AM
... I want a 2013 I'll need to order it by 5/26. I want the Premium, Platinum Ice, Shale with Brownstone, Drivers Assist package and 12
spoke chrome wheels. A few other options also but they can be added later. OR... I
can wait until the end of the year and look at the 14's. The longer I have to save, the less I'll have to finance. What scares me though is I heard a rumor that the SRX will be replaced with a smaller platform vehicle (CUV vs SUV.). If that's the case, I'm ordering the 13!! Has anyone heard what's coming for 2014? Thanks!The 2013 SRX just received a "Refresh" and will not change in 2014. The new 2013 is a great vehicle and you will not be disappointed if you ordered one now. It is your call ... if you are in no rush to get the 2013 SRX you could wait a little longer to order a 2014 but remember in waiting you will most likely see a slight price increase on the 2014.

Hey... what every you decide to do you definitely won't be disappointed! :)

jimmyjoebob
04-09-13, 09:28 AM
Thanks everyone, that's exactly what I wanted to hear.

stevec5375
04-09-13, 10:44 AM
If it were me I would wait for the 2014 because the 2013 has the first iteration of CUE. I learned the hard way about buying something the first year it's released. There will most likely be CUE updates you'd be better off having. What if they update it to a faster processor?

jimmyjoebob
04-09-13, 11:42 AM
Hmmmm, good point Steve. I wish the 14's would come out before the cutoff date to order the 13's!

Likely
04-09-13, 11:50 AM
The cue updates will keep coming, so don't worry about that!!!!Order the 2013 and be happy, don't confuse yourself. The cue is working fine!!!!

adamjeeps
04-09-13, 11:51 AM
If it were me I would wait for the 2014 because the 2013 has the first iteration of CUE. I learned the hard way about buying something the first year it's released. There will most likely be CUE updates you'd be better of having. What if they update it to a faster processor?

Then they should replace the faulty 2013 system with the 2014 processor. They could also take away some features for 2014 in the name of saving costs, like they have done with countless other vehicles.

cadillac 31
04-09-13, 03:33 PM
funny i have no issues with cue it does what i want and very well too i love it

Marc NY
04-09-13, 04:30 PM
funny i have no issues with cue it does what i want and very well too i love itI agree! :thumbsup:

There are really no big issues with the new CUE. I only had a small connectivity problem while using voice phone commands with my iPhone that was corrected with the latest CUE update. BTW: There will always be new updates down the road for any high tech equipment you own.

I would not hesitate to buy the 2013 or 2014 SRX... just do what you feel is best for your particular situation.

vi2k13
04-10-13, 11:34 AM
I agree! :thumbsup:

There are really no big issues with the new CUE. I only had a small connectivity problem while using voice phone commands with my iPhone that was corrected with the latest CUE update. BTW: There will always be new updates down the road for any high tech equipment you own.

I would not hesitate to buy the 2013 or 2014 SRX... just do what you feel is best for your particular situation.

funny i have no issues with cue it does what i want and very well too i love it

Marc/cadillac 31, slightly off topic questions for you....

Do you use an SD card to store music and if you do any issues with playback? Just curious because evrytime I start the vehicle, it takes about 30 seconds to play the song that was on in the previous ignition cycle. Even then it does not play the song continuously - pauses 10-15 seconds after playing a small part and then pauses again. This interrupted play pattern goes on for about 3-4 times before the normal playing resumes. I picked up my SRX a week and half ago and it came with the March update from factory with Software/Gracenote/Map versions 23150273/22993544/23152950 respectively.

I also have another issue with disappering vehicle contacts and they misteriously reapper when I change contact list to BT connected iPhone 5 and then back to vehicle.

Thanks!

TimRSRX777
04-10-13, 05:26 PM
2014 is a much luckier number than 2013. :rolleyes::bonkers::histeric: Everyone knows 13 is an unlucky number so I would wait and buy a 2014 model, everyone knows 14 is a lucky number. :cool2::bouncy::banghead:

300:29:1
04-10-13, 08:30 PM
Any idea when the 2014 SRX will appear in showrooms?

Marc NY
04-10-13, 08:35 PM
Marc/cadillac 31, slightly off topic questions for you....

Do you use an SD card to store music and if you do any issues with playback? ...

I also have another issue with disappering vehicle contacts and they misteriously reapper when I change contact list to BT connected iPhone 5 and then back to vehicle.

Thanks!Sorry I have never tried using a SD card so I can't comment on that topic. As far as losing my vehicle contacts from my iPhone 5 I don't ever recall having any issues with losing any of my contacts either.

stevec5375
04-11-13, 08:46 AM
Hello all, new to the forum and I've enjoyed reading everything I can about the
SRX. Here's my dilemma: if I want a 2013 I'll need to order it by 5/26. I want the Premium, Platinum Ice, Shale with Brownstone, Drivers Assist package and 12
can wait until the end of the year and look at the 14's. The longer I have to save, the less I'll have to finance. What scares me though is I heard a rumor that the SRX will be replaced with a smaller platform vehicle (CUV vs SUV.). If that's the case, I'm ordering the 13!! Has anyone heard what's coming for 2014? Thanks!

One more reason I would wait on 2014 CUE is here: http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-srx-second-generation-forum-2010/286750-2013-srx-computer-update-fix.html#post3279264

Marc NY
04-11-13, 09:01 AM
One more reason I would wait on 2014 CUE is here: http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-srx-second-generation-forum-2010/286750-2013-srx-computer-update-fix.html#post3279264There is no real reason to wait for a 2014 if you are concerned about the CUE and updates. Just think of your computer that gets Microsoft windows updates periodically. If the CUE gets updated again later on in the future it would be exactly the same version that would be out by 2014 MY. I would bet that there will be more updates in 2015 and beyond too ... for we all know programmers are constantly looking for newer enhancements and even more features and GM will wait for the appropriate time(s) to release those future updates.

That is whats so great about having a system that can take upgrades and not become extinct soon after you buy it. My CUE got it's first update and it has the newer enhancements and is even better than ever! :thumbsup:

Any idea when the 2014 SRX will appear in showrooms?Just talked to my salesman about a 2014 SRX and he says as far as he knows they should start ordering them around early June and production would be starting up around the middle to end of July thus the SRXs should hit the dealers lots in early to mid August.

jdennis
04-11-13, 10:47 AM
One more reason I would wait on 2014 CUE is here: http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-srx-second-generation-forum-2010/286750-2013-srx-computer-update-fix.html#post3279264

I'm the one with that problem, but I wouldn't wait! Go for the 2013. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE mine and the CUE system is great.

Marc NY
04-11-13, 12:36 PM
I'm the one with that problem, but I wouldn't wait! Go for the 2013. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE mine and the CUE system is great.Now that is what I call a SUPER endorsement! :thumbsup:

Likely
04-11-13, 01:04 PM
Just order it, don't confuse yourself anymore!!!!!!!!! Enjoy it..... Enough discussion!!!!!!

04-11-13, 05:29 PM
There is no real reason to wait for a 2014 if you are concerned about the CUE and updates. Just think of your computer that gets Microsoft windows updates periodically. If the CUE gets updated again later on in the future it would be exactly the same version that would be out by 2014 MY. I would bet that there will be more updates in 2015 and beyond too ... for we all know programmers are constantly looking for newer enhancements and even more features and GM will wait for the appropriate time(s) to release those future updates.

That is whats so great about having a system that can take upgrades and not become extinct soon after you buy it. My CUE got it's first update and it has the newer enhancements and is even better than ever! :thumbsup:

Just talked to my salesman about a 2014 SRX and he says as far as he knows they should start ordering them around early June and production would be starting up around the middle to end of July thus the SRXs should hit the dealers lots in early to mid August.

Thanks Marc.

adamjeeps
04-11-13, 05:42 PM
Wait until the 2013's go on clearance in the winter and get one for mega $$$$ off sticker. Also, the GM card always sends out top off offers around this time, too, if you have one.

stevec5375
04-12-13, 08:39 AM
There is no real reason to wait for a 2014 if you are concerned about the CUE and updates. Just think of your computer that gets Microsoft windows updates periodically. If the CUE gets updated again later on in the future it would be exactly the same version that would be out by 2014 MY. I would bet that there will be more updates in 2015 and beyond too ... for we all know programmers are constantly looking for newer enhancements and even more features and GM will wait for the appropriate time(s) to release those future updates.

So what do you do if they decide to "update" the CUE hardware? You're not going to get the faster processor because it won't be considered a "flaw" by GM.

RippyPartsDept
04-12-13, 09:25 AM
steve,

did you know that CUE's hardware is based off of a 3-core ARM11 processor that isn't being fully utilized yet ?

GM/Cadillac knew that they would need more processing power in years to come than the system initially would need so they left themselves room to grow

i think they unlocked a bit of that extra power in this first update since many people are saying that the system is much more responsive after getting their update

there will come a point when the hardware will be upgraded but that will probably be with the next generation of bodystyles (which is years down the road)
and even then the first generation CUE systems will still be pretty powerful

Ponyman
04-12-13, 10:08 PM
Steve's not going to buy one. He's just trying to cause trouble, as always. He doesn't like American cars remember? By using his logic, you would never buy Anything new, cars, computers, TV's, etc, because they might become outdated.

stevec5375
04-13-13, 08:30 AM
I am so happy for all of you who have had such good luck with your SRX. However, I suspect that for a few of you the wheels could be falling off the thing and you wouldn't utter a word on this board because it would mean that somehow you were admitting to making a poor buying decision.

Whatever.

I learned my lesson by buying the first year redesign of the SRX (2010). So by my "logic" I am not going to do again with CUE.

If your SRX/CUE experiences are wonderful, who am I to argue. I hope you continue to have great times with them and do not experience any issues.

b4z
04-13-13, 09:34 AM
http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/f21/2014-srx-whats-new-117693/

2014 changes/deletions.

Ponyman
04-13-13, 10:25 AM
Seems like there might be some interesting additions, but not enough to make me regret going ahead and buying a 13. Steve, that is very gracious of you. I assume you are talking about me not admitting to any problems. Believe me if i had problems I would vent about them. Our 08 CTS was a nightmare for the first 4 months, and I lit the Edmunds board up. Why would I buy a 13 if my 10 had been a lemon? I also think that some on this board magnify their problems to the extreme amd would not admit to any kind of satisfaction if their life depended on it. I only hope that when you go to buy your next car that you get a good trade in for the SRX. As low mileage as you say it is you should do pretty good trading it for one of your beloved Japanese cars. Have a nice day!

adamjeeps
04-13-13, 10:36 AM
http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/f21/2014-srx-whats-new-117693/

2014 changes/deletions.

2014 no longer e85 compatible. I hope this means the country is finally starting to move away from ethanol.

Also saw the auto high beam lights were available.

Also interested in what the license plate bar is (future mod?)

Marc NY
04-13-13, 12:08 PM
I am so happy for all of you who have had such good luck with your SRX. ...

I learned my lesson by buying the first year redesign of the SRX (2010). So by my "logic" I am not going to do again with CUE. If your SRX/CUE experiences are wonderful, who am I to argue. I hope you continue to have great times with them and do not experience any issues.You like to compare the new CUE to your overall experiences that you had with your vehicle. There is absolutely NO solid reason why anyone should wait until the next model year to purchase a new SRX because of the newness of the CUE system for there will always be CUE updates in the future i.e. #2,3,4 or 5+

*Every manufacture keeps improving their products just so the buying public will want to keep up with purchasing newer vehicles so that they will have the latest and greatest technology ... hey, it is a secret marketing ploy that will never end. :o

Marc NY
04-13-13, 03:26 PM
... Also saw the auto high beam lights were available.

Adamjeeps I just read an article about the new "IntelliBeams" in gminsidernews a pretty neat High Beam dimming feature that will be added into the 2014 Cadillacs/ SRX Driver Awareness Pkg.

http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/f21/cadillacs-intellibeam-13164/

Cadillac's Intellibeam
by Jim Kerr

Cadillac has led other car makes with many innovations over the years. From being the first manufacturer to install electric engine starters way back in 1912, to synchro-mesh manual transmissions in its 1929 models and infrared night vision in 2000, technology limits have been pushed further forward. Now, Cadillac has introduced another first: Intellibeam.

Intellibeam, an option on the 2005 Cadillac STS, is a new way of controlling high-beam headlamps. The concept is not new. In 1952, Cadillac introduced the Autronic Eye system, which used a dash-mounted sensor to automatically dim the high beam headlamps for oncoming traffic. Intellibeam does this too, but in a much more sophisticated way.

Using a small light-sensing chip that is able to detect light similar to the way the human eye does, Intellibeam will turn off the high beam headlamps as oncoming traffic approaches. Rather than switching directly from high-beam to low-beam operation, the Intellibeam system gradually dims the high beams as approaching vehicles get closer. The high beam indicator on the dash shows they are either on or off, but the actual operation of the high beams provides gradual dimming or increases in illumination.

This is a great safety feature. Normally, when headlamps are dimmed from high beam to low beam, there is a period of time when the space between the two vehicles is dark and hard to see. Intellibeam provides maximum illumination all the time, eliminating these difficult areas.

The Intellibeam's digital light sensor and electronics are located in a module mounted on the back side of the interior rear view mirror. The light sensor analyzes the light colour, intensity and movement to distinguish between vehicle lights and other light sources along the roadside. This was a problem with earlier automatic dimming systems, which could be triggered by street or yard lights, or illuminated signs, causing the high beams to flash off and on. Intellibeam is designed to ignore non-vehicular light sources.

The Intellibeam module controls a high-beam headlamp driver module. This module looks just like a relay, but is a solid-state device that uses pulse width modulation - a rapid on/off switching of the voltage on a circuit -- to control the output to the headlamp filament. Typically, the voltage is switched from battery voltage or charging system voltage to zero volts several times a second. Some headlamp modules I have tested will do this at 128 cycles per second! By controlling the on time in relationship to the off time, the average voltage of circuit is regulated. For example, if the high voltage is 12 volts and the low is zero, and the on time is equal for both, the average voltage would be six volts. If the high voltage time was longer than the zero voltage time, then the average would be higher.

Many automotive systems, such as EGR, canister purge and interior lamp dimming, use pulse width modulation to control their operation.

Intellibeam detects tail lights as well as headlamps. As another vehicle passes and the red tail lights come into view, the Intellibeam high beams are immediately switched to low-beam operation. As the vehicle pulls further away, the high beams gradually brighten. If the vehicle in front turns off on another road, the Intellibeam high beams will rapidly increase to full illumination.

With Intellibeam, drivers can forget to dim their high beams, and other drivers aren't blinded. However, there are a few situations when driver control may be needed. If the windshield is dirty, the light sensor can't properly monitor other light sources. The driver may need to manually dim the lights. Similarly, if the oncoming vehicle's lights are covered in ice or snow or there is road spray, the lights may not be recognized by the Intellibeam sensor.

I couldn't even begin to count the number of times I have been temporarily blinded by oncoming drivers that failed to dim their headlamps. Similarly, I have also been guilty of forgetting this on more than one occasion. Intellibeam helps protect other driver's night vision, but of equal importance, it provides the maximum light on the road at all times so night driving is safer. Keep those innovations coming, Cadillac.

Jim Kerr is a master automotive mechanic and teaches automotive technology. He has been writing automotive articles for fifteen years for newspapers and magazines in Canada and the United States, and is a member of the Automotive Journalist's Association of Canada (AJAC).

adamjeeps
04-13-13, 04:24 PM
Wow, that is more impressive than just auto on/off high beams. My in-laws Escalade has the auto high and low, but this is a whole new level. It also sounds like this will hurt those who want to change out the high beams to HID or LED, since it most likely won't work with varying levels of high-beam brightness.

b4z
04-13-13, 06:19 PM
Also the caramel/ebony is one of my favorites in the xts and ats, glad to see the srx is getting it for 2014.

b4z
04-15-13, 07:19 PM
Meanwhile I will dream of the day when a second gen srx luxury, performance or premium can be had without a sunroof. Doubtful it will happen by the time the second gen is replaced.

04-15-13, 09:10 PM
I wonder how that system will respond to aftermarket, and often ridiculous colored, HID headlamps. Many drivers seem to be unconcerned with the actual functionality of their headlamps. The effect on other drivers is even less of a concern. Looking cool is the primary objective. Still, I'm intrigued by this sophisticated sounding design.

scottrobb
05-05-13, 12:16 PM

GM just released an update for CUE which I have now installed into my 2013 SRX4. It has addressed the laggyness in response and added a much nicer voice. I have had none of the problems that are referred to in the link that you provided.

I think the only real difference between the 2013 and 2014 models Will be the addition of a CUE configurable dashboard as is seen on the current XTS. This does not come from an official source or anything, It's just an educated guess.

Marc NY
05-05-13, 04:07 PM
GM just released an update for CUE which I have now installed into my 2013 SRX4. It has addressed the laggyness in response and added a much nicer voice. I have had none of the problems that are referred to in the link that you provided.

I think the only real difference between the 2013 and 2014 models Will be the addition of a CUE configurable dashboard as is seen on the current XTS. This does not come from an official source or anything, It's just an educated guess.The only thing different that I have heard about for the 2014 SRX is that the Driver Awareness Pkg will now come with the "Auto Headlight Dimming" feature. I do not believe the SRX will be getting the full version of the configurable CUE like the XTS has.