: Need some Navigation help Please!!!! Screen black

djdiplomat
04-08-13, 09:58 AM
I currently have a 04 Escalade ESV with the non-touchscreen NAVI. Recently I tried to update via a backup copy however it was unsuccessful. Since then battery has died and upon restart Navigation screen is blank/black. I am able to hear the radio and change the stations/volume however nothing is displayed on the screen. So far I have: disconnected the battery, disconnected the head unit, removed both radio fuses, nothing helped. Id there a separate firmware disc that would reprogram the Navigation? Backlight works on HU other than the screen. I would appreciate any help or advice on this.

the cadillac man
04-08-13, 06:50 PM
I currently have a 04 Escalade ESV with the non-touchscreen NAVI. Recently I tried to update via a backup copy however it was unsuccessful. Since then battery has died and upon restart Navigation screen is blank/black. I am able to hear the radio and change the stations/volume however nothing is displayed on the screen. So far I have: disconnected the battery, disconnected the head unit, removed both radio fuses, nothing helped. Id there a separate firmware disc that would reprogram the Navigation? Backlight works on HU other than the screen. I would appreciate any help or advice on this.

Sounds like the backlight has either failed or has been turned off

wetneck
04-08-13, 09:16 PM
500$ via paypal and Ill send ya one out of my '03.....

djdiplomat
04-09-13, 12:00 AM
Sounds like the backlight has either failed or has been turned off

You are right the sun shinned on the screen today and I can see the display. What are the chances of it going bad? It was working perfect before the battery went out.

----------

500$ via paypal and Ill send ya one out of my '03.....

Thanks for the offer but I purchased this one for $150 off ebay.

the cadillac man
04-09-13, 12:19 AM
You are right the sun shinned on the screen today and I can see the display. What are the chances of it going bad? It was working perfect before the battery went out.

----------

Thanks for the offer but I purchased this one for $150 off ebay.

It sounds like the inverter for the backlight in the radio may need resetting try pulling the radio fuse and leaving it out for a hour or more and see if that fixes the problem if not then the radio will need to be serviced as the inverter powers the backlight lamp

If you do need a radio I have the cd/cass unit I pulled when I got my nav radio if you want to get it till you can either get the nav unit fixed or replaced I am selling it as I have no need for it now make me a offer if you want it

djdiplomat
04-09-13, 12:27 AM
It sounds like the inverter for the backlight in the radio may need resetting try pulling the radio fuse and leaving it out for a hour or more and see if that fixes the problem if not then the radio will need to be serviced as the inverter powers the backlight lamp

If you do need a radio I have the cd/cass unit I pulled when I got my nav radio if you want to get it till you can either get the nav unit fixed or replaced I am selling it as I have no need for it now make me a offer if you want it

I pulled the HU out but did not see a fuse. Is it located inside the casing? I will definitely keep you in mind for the cd/cass HU if I cant get this one to work, thanks for your help!

the cadillac man
04-09-13, 02:49 AM
I pulled the HU out but did not see a fuse. Is it located inside the casing? I will definitely keep you in mind for the cd/cass HU if I cant get this one to work, thanks for your help!

I meant the radio fuse in the under hood box its the 15 amp next to the 25 amp for the rear wiper

if a full power loose to the radio don't help then the inverter is fried and would need replacing it may or may not be fixable (I found that out with my rear seat DVD player after a nut at auto zone tapped my battery cables one time too many took a month to even get them to replace the DVD drive(try entertaining young kids without a movie or games NOT FUN :( trust me)

If I can I will run a laser lens cleaner in the CD player before you get it

flyingdutchman
04-09-13, 12:32 PM
You could sent it to these guys to look at

Specmo Enterprises
1200 E Avis Drive
Madison Heights, MI 48071
(800) 545-7910

the cadillac man
04-09-13, 01:47 PM
You could sent it to these guys to look at

Specmo Enterprises
1200 E Avis Drive
Madison Heights, MI 48071
(800) 545-7910

True but if the op only put so much in the radio then he/she may not want to fix it if it costs more then the radio cost

the cadillac man
04-10-13, 12:43 AM
Bump op do you want the radio?

ablanke
06-24-14, 11:26 PM

Bump-- Djdiplomat did you ever fix this problem? Im having the same exact problem. My father changed my battery on my car after it died out for a while and when i started it back up navigation screen was black.. any help would be huge.. thanks

the cadillac man
06-25-14, 01:22 AM
Bump-- Djdiplomat did you ever fix this problem? Im having the same exact problem. My father changed my battery on my car after it died out for a while and when i started it back up navigation screen was black.. any help would be huge.. thanks

Pull the radio fuse and see if it resets the radio