: 2002 Escalade SUV front diff noises

Justind1203
04-08-13, 07:51 AM
New guy here, not new to GM trucks but new to the Cadillac world.

I just bought an 02 Escalade with 140k on it, needed a transfer case when I got it. We did a t case, then I noticed a slight vibration and noise from the front front diff, I had my mechanic do bearings in it, it doesn't have any vibration now ( I can't feel it in the wheel anymore) but now I have a humming noise..... he said it is pinion noise, he said most GM AWD trucks do it? Even if it is "normal" is there a better gear oil to run in there to keep it quiet? I think he only did the carrier bearings in the diff, should I have him take it apart and do the pinion bearing too? Damn noise drives me nuts!! :cookoo:

Thanks
Justin

chacho44
04-09-13, 03:52 AM
While the unit was out and torn apart you should have changed the bearings, races, seals. I just did this to my 03 but I had a bad carrier bearing. I also changed the all the u joints too.

Justind1203
04-10-13, 07:39 AM
We did change carrier bearings and seals as well as all the u-joints on the truck, I think the noise I have is pinion noise? I did drive my buddies Yukon Denali XL and it had a similar noise but not as pronounced. The noise just drives me nuts and I'll more than likely pull the whole front diff and swap it out for another complete unit.

Justind1203
04-17-13, 10:36 AM
Put about 1000 miles on the truck so far, no issues at all, I love driving it!!!