: ATS and No-Lift Shift

pacoflyer
04-08-13, 02:01 AM
I am wondering if the ATS has the No lift shift and launch control that the cobalt ss had?

I do not own one, but I am following its progress since I think I might want to own one.

mikesul
04-08-13, 09:03 AM
Ask BNR, Jerry has a massaged Cobalt with that option.

unclemoose
04-08-13, 11:37 AM
I'm not sure, but I did just notice a shift light on my manual....only when I get on it hard. I've had the car for 2 months and just noticed it.

gfxbt
04-08-13, 03:08 PM
Where was the shift light that you saw?

Stevo Supremo
04-09-13, 01:07 AM
yeah I saw a light blip on when I hit 7K, but it only does it in sport setting, weird lol

I know the cobalt SS turbo's had it.. but it was something VERY unique to them, I doubt this car has it. But if you're skilled enough you can do it without a computer. But if you have even a shadow of doubt that you cant do it then dont try. Best not to break something lol

unclemoose
04-09-13, 12:43 PM
Lower right area of the i/p cluster. It was orange and told me to upshift to 3rd.

pacoflyer
04-09-13, 08:22 PM
CTS V has it as well. Who wants to try? X)

It might be a sport mode thing. Does the etc control do anything with a 5 sec press? I know that's what enable competition mode on the SS

Stevo Supremo
04-09-13, 08:33 PM
this is interesting this is from here

http://wot.motortrend.com/2013-cadillac-ats-to-feature-new-270-hp-2-liter-turbo-four-146257.html#axzz2Q0nQXRej

and the bottom portion reads this

"Engines for North American consumption (this is a global powertrain) will be produced in Spring Hill, Tennessee initially, and eventually in Tonawanda, New York. We can expect output to rise in successive models, and you might be happy to know that the no-lift shifting introduced on the bad-boy Cobalt is supported on the Caddy. We asked if Cadillac would be branding this engine with unique nomenclature — we proposed “Eaststar,” since the turbo’s on the left side of the engine — but Cadillac declined my suggestion and says there’s no plan to name it. - Motor Trend technical director Frank Markus contributed to this report

Read more: http://wot.motortrend.com/2013-cadillac-ats-to-feature-new-270-hp-2-liter-turbo-four-146257.html#ixzz2Q0oJfUMJ
Follow us: @MotorTrend on Twitter | MotortrendMag on Facebook"

gfxbt
04-10-13, 11:48 AM
Lower right area of the i/p cluster. It was orange and told me to upshift to 3rd.

Yea - I checked it out last night. Sure enough there is a little triangle pointing upwards with an indication of the subsequent gear next to the sport mode indicator in the DIC. I tried it in 3rd while merging on the freeway and what do you know, as I approached redline, it told me to shift to fourth haha. I also tried putting it in 6th at about 25 and lugging it, but it didn't tell me to downshift. The feature is kind of interesting, and I didn't know that it existed until you mentioned it. Still would be cooler if they had a boost "gauge" as an option in the DIC like the pre-production cars had . . .

Stevo Supremo
04-10-13, 02:54 PM
so tried a NLS today... blew the trans up..

nah kidding. but I did try it from 2-3 around 6K and did seem to hold the RPM for a brief moment. the car went like a stabbed rat lmao!

pacoflyer
04-12-13, 06:59 PM
Well if you didn't bounce it off the limiter when keeping the gas pedal floored and just hitting the clutch and shifting. I would assume that it does work. Its just supposed to keep the engine from redlining while the gas pedal is floored.

zedsded
04-12-13, 07:07 PM
How is no lift shift different than a rev limiter?

pacoflyer
04-12-13, 08:36 PM
Normal shifting is gas clutch gas. If the ATS has the feature leaving the pedal floored at 6500 revs when you go to shift it will not go any further up the rev band on pushing the clutch in to shift with the gas pedal on the floor. It allows you to give much faster shifts since you are just pressing the clutch and moving it in gear releasing clutch having the gas floored the whole time.

miguelius
04-16-13, 03:44 AM
Contrary to Motor Trend's speculation, I don't think it has the no-lift shift. Cadillac would have mentioned it in their literature, such as the owner's manual. Recall that that the Cobalt SS was a five-speed, a completely different transmission. I have not seen any confirmation, as opposed to speculation, that it has the no-lift feature. So while some of you brave souls out there can risk your engines and transmissions, I'm just going to keep shifting normally, the way we all learned.:halo:

Stevo Supremo
04-16-13, 12:51 PM
Contrary to Motor Trend's speculation, I don't think it has the no-lift shift. Cadillac would have mentioned it in their literature, such as the owner's manual. Recall that that the Cobalt SS was a five-speed, a completely different transmission. I have not seen any confirmation, as opposed to speculation, that it has the no-lift feature. So while some of you brave souls out there can risk your engines and transmissions, I'm just going to keep shifting normally, the way we all learned.:halo:

well I powershifted my cobalt quite a bit at the track, it didn't have NLS, so I did end up getting REALLY good at it. So maybe it was just be Power shifting my Caddy and not a combooter doing it for me... Either way, dont do this on normal driving,as fun as it is its bad for the car lol, my curiosity got the best of me.

but its the engine that supports the algorithm for NLS, not the transmission

BNRacing
04-17-13, 09:29 PM
You've got to understand what NLS actually does...

Most cars when they hit the rev-limiter will close the throttle body a certain amount to keep the revs at that RPM. GM's NLS algorithm keeps the throttle body wide open and uses a combination of timing and fuel mixture as a rev-limiter. This keeps the turbocharger fully spooled so there is no turbo lag when you hit the next gear. I am sure we could make this work on the caddy but it may require some development time. I'll see what we can do and report back. I think it would be great if we could do it.

pacoflyer
04-18-13, 12:08 AM
Thats great! Since I know some tuners are able to do this on the FR-S and BRZ and a couple other cars I hope you can get good results!

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14769

gmesam
04-23-13, 01:58 PM
I know the Regal GS has it (1-2, 2-3), but it would be great to know if the ATS has it too.