: Sound System >> Caddy

Tommybobommy
01-09-05, 01:20 AM
Ok I purchased a nice Kenwood Head unit for my 85 eldo baritz conv. I also purchased a set of front and back spreakers.

Now I have a question...

Im 17 years old next month.. Would it be worth my while to buy a sub woofer. I know if increases sound quality.. But does it make THAT much of a difference?

Is this a good sub -woofer?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=1069299397134&skuId=6221064&type=product&cmp=++

Also.. If I buy a subwoofer would it be recommended to buy an amp.. What exactly is the purpose of an amp/capacitator?
thanks

SviLLe
01-09-05, 01:46 AM
hey tommy;..do me a favor and do not shop at best buy for subs ok!? lol your best bet is to do all your audio shopping online. you will save a ton of cash. places like best buy circuit city and so on will just rip you off...try ebay...by the way thats a good price for subs and a box....but those subs just suck hard...and i would recommend getting a sub to improve sq. totally different than just heard the bass from a 6x9

danbuc
01-09-05, 06:30 AM
Having a capacitor will allow you to safely run your system with the car shut off, without having to worry about completely draining the battery. The capacitor stores a charge capable of running the sound system. I wouldn't run it too long off of it though. Good Luck.

D148L0
01-09-05, 02:26 PM
Having a capacitor will allow you to safely run your system with the car shut off, without having to worry about completely draining the battery. The capacitor stores a charge capable of running the sound system. I wouldn't run it too long off of it though. Good Luck.
WHAT??????
The only way to increase the play time while the car is shut off is with additional battery (ies).
I'm sorry, Danbuc, but your concept of capacitor is wrong.

a) capacitors wont't prevent you from running out of battery.
b) capacitors don't store a charge like the one you described.
Other common misconceptions:
-capacitors will help to correct dimming lights and similar problems.
-capacitors will make your system louder
-capacitors are best for SPL applications
-capacitors are useless

Visit this site and look for "capacitor" on the menu located on the right side of the screen. I hope it will help you undertand them better:
http://www.bcae1.com/

D148L0
01-09-05, 02:30 PM
Im 17 years old next month.. Would it be worth my while to buy a sub woofer. I know if increases sound quality.. But does it make THAT much of a difference?

Is this a good sub -woofer?
In sound systems, as in many other things, most times you get what you pay for. But sometimes you can get a decent component for a low price. I have not listen to the model you linked to.
And yes, a sub makes THAT much of a difference.

Also.. If I buy a subwoofer would it be recommended to buy an amp.. What exactly is the purpose of an amp/capacitator?
thanks
Read the same page I recommended to Danbuc.
In short, if you get a sub, you will need an amp.

90Brougham350
01-14-05, 10:51 AM
The internet is full of good deals, you just have to be willing to look at a lot of different sources for the best deal. As already mentioned, eBay is a great place to look, I got a $600 Blaupnukt for $140 brand new, but I didn't just buy the first thing I thought was a good deal. If you really want a quality sound system, take the time to learn how you can really put a good sounding system together. The internet is full of sites that want to help people learn like http://www.crutchfield.com they might not be the cheapest but they'll certainly help you. Your best bet, pick a budget you're willing to spend and find a source that can help you chose the best deal for your money. And yes, a quality pair of subs will definately enhance any sound system, no matter what type of music you play, even classical. But if you want a sub, you'll need an amp, and this is going to raise the total cost quite a bit if it's done right and well. Best of luck,

Brian

Guinness4h2o
01-22-05, 08:50 PM
One word, eBay! That's all you need to know. My system (4 12's & 2 1600 watt amps, 10-disc cd-changer, brand new head unit, new aftermarket 4x6 & 6x9 speakers) was ridiculously cheap on eBay. At Best Buy or somehwere like that, it would've cost me around $3-4,000, but since I bought everything online it was more like $1-1,200. Make sure you buy off people with an established history selling car audio and you're fine.

Also, do you want just better sound quality, or just more bass? The answer to that question can help us better describe how to help you out. If you want quality a single 10" woofer, new front and rear deck speakers(trust me, those old speakers you have are horrible), a new head unit, and a four-channel amp would be best. If you want bass you need at least :cool: two 10" inch woofers, all the other things I just mentioned, and a mono-channel amp.

Check the setup I have...
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/9/web/609000-609999/609932_32_full.jpg

D148L0
01-24-05, 02:52 PM
If you want bass you need at least :cool: two 10" inch woofers, all the other things I just mentioned, and a mono-channel amp.
A single 10" brahma with a matching amp will produce about the same bass as your whole setup, man.
Quality is more important than quantity...

shredder130
01-24-05, 07:24 PM
yup yup

Guinness4h2o
01-25-05, 12:30 PM
Anyone that can pull 155s+ with a single 10", you let me know. Plus I wanted something that looks pretty ;) Notice the angle at which the two middle subwoofers meet at is the same angle in the "Cadillac v". I've also in essence recreated the rear window of the car with the vinyl-wrapped amp rack. I can get nice sound out of this without even pushing it. I've carried over the lines from the outside of the car to the trunk. It's not boring like a small box for a 10", which is what I really wanted. That comment about "at least two 10"s" was a joke, hence the smiley face behind it. I'm not an SPL competitor, just wanted something that would make people go "wow, that's nice" when they see it.

Here's my baby anyhow...

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/9/web/609000-609999/609932_22_full.jpg

D148L0
01-25-05, 12:53 PM
As I said in other thread, you have a very nice setup. One of the best looking that I've seen in this forums.