: Only key fob locked in car! Need advice.

rekctsv
04-07-13, 04:28 PM
Like an idiot, I locked my only key fob in the car today. I've searched but it seems everyone else always have a 2nd fob to go get. I have a 2nd fob but its not programmed yet.

I was in the garage and started the car by remote for my wife as she retrieved something from another vehicle. I'm standing there with the door open but she takes too long and I place the keys in the cupholder and close the door. I don't know why I did this because I'm always careful having only one fob and the auto lock feature on.

I didn't switch the key into the on position before closing the door so I guess it locked automatically since the car was still switched off. It didn't give me the 3 horn beeps nor did I ever hear it lock. Luckily, it shuts off after 10 minutes of autostart.

What are my options now? Can a Locksmith get in for me? I never used my free 3 months of Onstar from when I purchased the car in October, think I can call now and get activated?

Any advice besides I'm SOL is appreciated.

6.2/3.6
04-07-13, 04:39 PM
A friend of mine, his moms corvette locked itself with the key fob in the vehicle. The fob fell asleep, we shook the car hard enough to move the fob and the fob awakened we got in. Not sure if that will work with it running though.

neuronbob
04-07-13, 04:41 PM
Call OnStar. Activate. Ask them to unlock door. Door unlocked. It will take all of about 60 seconds to accomplish this.

6.2/3.6
04-07-13, 04:51 PM
And there is that. Lol Always the simple things we forget.

smackdownCTSV
04-07-13, 04:51 PM
If the 2nd fob came with a key, try that.

Trapspeed
04-07-13, 05:50 PM
If the 2nd fob came with a key, try that.

You beat me to it. Will the key in fob two open the door?

rekctsv
04-07-13, 06:19 PM
Call OnStar. Activate. Ask them to unlock door. Door unlocked. It will take all of about 60 seconds to accomplish this.
I called Onstar and they said they can only activate if I press the blue button. I told them I can't get in the car and they said, Sorry! So I'm still screwed!!

You beat me to it. Will the key in fob two open the door?
No it won't. The 2nd fob was given to me from the dealership I purchased from but they didn't program it. When I got the car back to South Carolina, I eventually took the fob to my local dealership but they said it was already programmed for another vehicle and the key cut for another car. I haven't done anything with it since, dumb move.

RGaret
04-07-13, 06:27 PM
I called Onstar and they said they can only activate if I press the blue button. I told them I can't get in the car and they said, Sorry! So I'm still screwed!!

No it won't. The 2nd fob was given to me from the dealership I purchased from but they didn't program it. When I got the car back to South Carolina, I eventually took the fob to my local dealership but they said it was already programmed for another vehicle and the key cut for another car. I haven't done anything with it since, dumb move.

Take the metal key out of the second fob and open the door.

----------

[QUOTE="RGaret"]

Go to onstar.com and see if you can reactive from there

neuronbob
04-07-13, 07:59 PM

WTF? OnStar doesn't have a solution for this? Even though you can easily prove ownership? I'd call again and tell them your situation.

Now that DOES suck.The worst part is that you have an '09, so no way to use the OnStar RemoteLink app to open the door. It played a factor in my moving to a '13....now I can never be locked out of my car as long as I have my iPhone with m.

smackdownCTSV
04-07-13, 08:05 PM

That's kind of redundant and pointless to even have it then. Go the locksmith route then. Insurance might even cover it. If not, if your deductible is zero, then break a window.

Mongopush
04-07-13, 08:06 PM
I just got my car and the dealer said I could activate the Onstar online if need be. He said there has been issues while activating from their cars so that's what they do. Must be some way to get around the blue button.

rekctsv
04-07-13, 10:00 PM
WTF? OnStar doesn't have a solution for this? Even though you can easily prove ownership? I'd call again and tell them your situation.

Now that DOES suck.The worst part is that you have an '09, so no way to use the OnStar RemoteLink app to open the door. It played a factor in my moving to a '13....now I can never be locked out of my car as long as I have my iPhone with m.
I told the guy on the phone my situation and he said sorry, nothing we can do.
Guess I'm calling a locksmith in the morning. I was lucky this happened at home. And I will be getting a 2nd fob programmed next weekend!

ral1960
04-07-13, 10:24 PM
Don't break a window. Aside from the mess, they're very expensive. My 04 DeVille window was a $250 part when I shattered it with a visegrips.

Kluch
04-07-13, 10:33 PM
This is why its always a good idea to activate and keep onstar. You just never know when you'll need it. Good luck to the OP! Sorry to hear about your problem. Looks like the locksmith is the only way to go.

pat2t2f
04-08-13, 07:39 AM
I would call onstar again. If I get an answer I don't like I always call back and ask someone else. Then I would go online and try there. You have yet to exhaust all options before calling a locksmith.

Dogbreath
04-08-13, 08:46 AM
If you have AAA, they will send somebody out and have you in the car in 60 seconds. With the right tools a skilled guy is pretty amazing to watch.

Topless vette
04-08-13, 11:11 AM
As someone already mentioned keep calling Onstar and you will get a different person, untill someone can help you.

Mongopush
04-08-13, 11:44 AM
Just get a hard key copy made , no need to pay for another fob . I think they can get costly.

dkozloski
04-08-13, 11:54 AM
Around here you call a local taxi company for lockouts. They have the tools to get you in your car and they have reasonable prices for the service. If all else fails ask the guys that hang around the local liquor store if they know anybody that can get into your car. Those guys are really fast at it.

stl_ls1gto
04-08-13, 03:39 PM
Around here you call a local taxi company for lockouts. They have the tools to get you in your car and they have reasonable prices for the service. If all else fails ask the guys that hang around the local liquor store if they know anybody that can get into your car. Those guys are really fast at it.

Just so everyone knows, I would be careful who you are allowing to try to slimjim their way into your car. It is fairly easy to damage things in the door with improper use of those tools. At the very least, make sure they are insured to cover any damage they do.

rekctsv
04-08-13, 07:30 PM
Before I called a locksmith today, I figured I would try my local Chevrolet Cadillac dealership since they were so close.

I called, explained my situation, and asked if there were any other options for me besides a locksmith. I was told no and that was that!

Well thinking back to how this dealership ticked me off when I had my V1 with their poor customer service, I decided to call the dealership I always visit and ask the same question.
So I call and explain my situation and then ask the same question. This time I get asked a bunch of questions, actually get a listening ear, and then I'm given the number to Cadillac Roadside Service and he said they should help me no problem, no charge.
So I call Cadillac Roadside Service as soon as I get home and within 10 minutes, they have someone on the way. The Cadillac Tech wasn't close by but I decided to wait for him anyways. 90 minutes later an Escalade EXT pulls into my driveway with Cadillac of South Charlotte all over it and is in my car within 3 minutes.

Now that's great service and didn't cost a dime.

Mongopush
04-08-13, 07:40 PM
Awesome news, only cost you a day without being able to drive your V...Priceless .

Trapspeed
04-08-13, 08:16 PM
Sweet! Great to hear. Maybe there's hope yet!

1997BlackETC
04-08-13, 08:58 PM
Wow, that says a lot about Cadillac road side service, more people should take advantage of it, surprised nobody thought of suggesting them, especially the Cadillac dealer, crazy. What the hell, we paid good coin for these cars to be driving a Cadillac vs a Chevy or Buick, we should be rewarded.

rekctsv
04-08-13, 09:19 PM
Wow, that says a lot about Cadillac road side service, more people should take advantage of it, surprised nobody thought of suggesting them, especially the Cadillac dealer, crazy. What the hell, we paid good coin for these cars to be driving a Cadillac vs a Chevy or Buick, we should be rewarded.

Exactly, I couldn't agree more. The Cadillac Tech even turned on his strobe lights while parked in my driveway.
I felt really special, LOL!!!

The difference between the 2 dealerships is unreal. It would take me too long to complain about it all, back to my experiences with my V1. I wish I could make Cadillac aware of this.

musclecar6
04-09-13, 10:29 AM
Exactly, I couldn't agree more. The Cadillac Tech even turned on his strobe lights while parked in my driveway.
I felt really special, LOL!!!

The difference between the 2 dealerships is unreal. It would take me too long to complain about it all, back to my experiences with my V1. I wish I could make Cadillac aware of this.

Glad to see you got it all worked out. I recently bought 2012 CTS-V sedan in South Carolina as well & live in the Charlotte area. I was debating about going to Hendrick Chev/ Cadillac in Monroe or Cadillac of South charlotte. After your experiences, looks I have my answer. Thanks. Enjoy the V. They sure are fabulous cars.

RippyPartsDept
04-09-13, 10:47 AM
I wish I could make Cadillac aware of this.

you sure can

you can either call in to the main customer service line

or better yet

you can get in touch with the cadillac reps on this site here
they have their own sub-forum and they post their email address all the time

they are basically an online version of the toll free phone line customer service agents
it is often easier to deal with them when synchronous communication isn't necessary
the asynchronous nature of email allows you (and them) to reply in time when it is convenient

let me know if you need help getting pointed in the right direction

neuronbob
04-09-13, 11:02 AM
+1 on PM-ing Katie. I'm surprised she hasn't popped in here to comment yet. I guess she's tired of us V owners. ;)

Glad this turned out great for you. This was way more complicated than it really needed to be for you.

Now get your 2nd keyfob fixed so you don't have to go through this again, and get OnStar started. :)

RippyPartsDept
04-09-13, 11:34 AM
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/community-lounge-introductions-general-discussion/285793-cadillac-customer-service.html

katie has moved on ... Laura and Greg are the new Reps.

tinman
04-09-13, 12:05 PM
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/community-lounge-introductions-general-discussion/285793-cadillac-customer-service.html

They need to make their presence known. It's a shame that they are introduced by an "outsider" (no disrespect meant, Chris).

----------

They need to make their presence known. It's a shame that they are introduced by an "outsider" (no disrespect meant, Chris).

neuronbob
04-09-13, 12:17 PM
Thanks, Chris.

Too bad, she sure wasn't afraid to get in the middle of things. Will be missed.

Xaqtly
04-09-13, 12:40 PM

It's a good point, we all have this service by default. I've used it a few times when my throttle pedal assembly broke and left me stranded on the freeway. Once I was able to limp it to the dealer but one time it was just dead and I had to have it towed. I hit the onstar button, told them I needed a tow, they sent somebody out and towed me to the dealer, no charge.

In terms of locking the fob in the car, I use the onstar iPhone app, and I can unlock the doors with it.

USAFRET
04-09-13, 01:43 PM
Glad it turned out well, we all love a happy ending.... but I'd be at my local dealer first thing getting the 2nd fob programmed and a new key cut. I just activated my 90 day trial of OnStar and it took like 6 or 7 minutes.

CoppeR
04-09-13, 01:49 PM
Thanks, Chris.

So that means we have to start the supercharger rattle list all over again?!?

mpouls1
04-09-13, 01:49 PM
Why wasn't the key in the 2nd fob used? I've used mine before to open the door.

RippyPartsDept
04-09-13, 02:02 PM
Thanks, Chris.

It seemed to me that every time she tried to help most of the members here just dismissed her as a PR flak

neuronbob
04-09-13, 02:22 PM
In terms of locking the fob in the car, I use the onstar iPhone app, and I can unlock the doors with it.

But the OP has a 2009, and the OnStar hardware in the 2009 and some 10s did not allow for the app to be used. It certainly chapped my butt when I owned my 09 V. On my 13, smooth sailing. I only wish that remote start with the app were possible in a 6MT (can't do it because of parking in gear).

It seemed to me that every time she tried to help most of the members here just dismissed her as a PR flak

Didn't stop her, though, from jumping in even though there was only so much she could do.

So that means we have to start the supercharger rattle list all over again?!?

OK now that was funny. :rofl: You know all she could do was just pass it on....but you already know that. :)

Xaqtly
04-09-13, 02:27 PM
Oh I missed that, sorry. It is a pretty useful feature. As far as remote start, I bet they could do it since there are sensors for gear position and e-brake, it could verify that you're in neutral and the e-brake is on before giving the command to start. Maybe they just felt that it would be too much of a risk if the gear sensor indicated the wrong gear and starting the car launched itself off a cliff or something.

Trans damm
04-09-13, 10:30 PM
Any way to get the remote link to work on a 2010?

Cadillac Cust Svc
04-09-13, 10:36 PM
Hello all.

Yes, there is a new team presence here on Cadillac Forums to engage and assist you all as much as possible. Thank you for your help RippyPartsDept. We are excited and eager to help so if there is anything we can do or assist with, please do reach out to us or we will find you. We're here to help. I will also introduce myself. My name is Reggie, an associate of both Greg and Laura.

Reggie B.
Cadillac Customer Care

hulksdaddy
04-09-13, 10:47 PM
Hi Reggie! Welcome to the boards.

Now, whole bunch of folks got Cadillac Welcome packages. I've owned an '11 Coupe and a '12 Coupe, and got bubkis.

Where's the love? ;)

BlueAngel#07
04-10-13, 04:19 AM
Cool :). That's good service, it's all in the dealer that you have, some don't care as much as others, or maybe it's how deep there pockets are.

MSOsr
04-10-13, 08:44 PM
Welcome aboard, Reggie!

Mike