: Ringing @ 4500+ RPM... Water Pump?

WarrenMRogers
04-07-13, 05:27 PM
Like the title says, I'm getting a ringing at 4500+ RPM. My internet searches suggest it's either a belt problem or a water pump problem. I sprayed some belt dressing on the serpentine just because it was the cheapest thing to try. It didn't work. I'm not leaking coolant that I can tell and I am not seeing any unusual running temperatures. I have been driving it daily waiting for something to pop on me but it drives great like there's nothing wrong. Is there something I can do to check the water pump before I go and buy a replacement?

joshuajohn1981
04-07-13, 05:54 PM
Is it a ringing like from under the hood or is it a ringing like over the speakers and you're expecting something to pop up on the DIC?

WarrenMRogers
04-07-13, 06:19 PM
A ringing from the engine.

RyRidesMotoX
04-08-13, 12:11 PM
Pick it up dude, your engine just wants to talk. Its been a while since you two talked. Lol sorry couldn't help it.

Manseeno
04-08-13, 05:14 PM
I'm not sure if I'm remembering correctly, but I seem to remember reading about somebody with a similar concern when their car was new and a GM engineer determined that the ringing was caused by the coolant's passing through the cooling system that just happened to reach an audible harmonic at a certain engine speed. I think there was some solution, but I don't remember what it was or if the car was even a CTS-V....so I guess I'm not helping, lol....I'll go back to my cubby now...

D3l7a3ch0
04-08-13, 08:44 PM
I'm not sure if I'm remembering correctly, but I seem to remember reading about somebody with a similar concern when their car was new and a GM engineer determined that the ringing was caused by the coolant's passing through the cooling system that just happened to reach an audible harmonic at a certain engine speed. I think there was some solution, but I don't remember what it was or if the car was even a CTS-V....so I guess I'm not helping, lol....I'll go back to my cubby now...

that would be interesting if it is the case. how odd

WarrenMRogers
04-08-13, 10:47 PM
My car has 99989 miles when I left it in the garage tonight. This JUST started a few days ago. About a month, ago my car developed a nose on my way to work that I determined to be the alternator during the day's research. I priced a new one and scheduled time to fix it. When I got out to my car after work, it was fine and I haven't had the problem since. It was a very loud noise that increased with speed. There was a video of the noise that was identical posted in some thread. But this is a ringing that kicks in and stays consistent from 4500 on.

WarrenMRogers
04-11-13, 12:18 AM
I'm at 100,004 now. Nothing different yet. Anyone have any suggestions?